Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 2, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #51,947 of 62,422
At risk of going off topic, I see the Bathys are on sale for $629 which is tempting. Any happy owners?
Oh ya they sound amazing. I love being able to use them in DAC mode by connecting a usb-c -> lightning -> CCK to my iPhone too. Or usb-c to my iPad for watching movies. I’ve also used the 3.5mm analog to my DAP.

The ANC might not be up there with say the Sony XM5 but I listened to those the other day and the sound was so inferior it wasn’t funny.

But I did just take a flight and had no problems watching movies and listening to some Liquid Mind chill music

Only thing on Bathys is the band is a little tight on the top of my noggin but to qualify that I have a huge head.

Apr 2, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #51,949 of 62,422
So guys… I’m looking for a TWS that sounds as good as the FoKus Pro and has superior NC. I’ve been in some noisy places lately and as much as I like my B&O EQ and Nuratrue, the NC isn’t cutting the mustard :)

I’d even settle for something that has good/very good sound and amazing NC

Apr 2, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #51,950 of 62,422
A page back there is a comment saying the Nothingear2 is comparable to Bose/Sony in anc. If true it's the only one I can think of

Apr 2, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #51,951 of 62,422
You can always flip them for $800 lol

Denon's are better than the Sonys-----buy them and see for urself-----I have the 5200,7200, 9200 and AH-GC30. Had the Sony MDR Z7 AND the Z72--sold them-----Sony's are really comfortable but have a very strange sound--not natural--Denon is my personal favorite headphone so I am biased. . I encourage you to check them out as I think you will be very happy with them. Give it a go! :dt880smile: :gs1000smile:

Thanks guys! Not sure you understood the assignment of talking me OUT of it :D
But I actually went back to check them out (and they were still there) ... and well, either there was something wrong with this set, and or testing conditions were less than ideal ... but I really did not 'feel' them ... they were also in not so great shape (no wonder for a 2007 set) and well, I decided that I do NOT need them ...

That being said .. there's always the chance I return when it is quieter in that shop and try once more :D
Would surely want to recable them or give them some other plugs so I can change cables ... (this set apparently still has the original wiring and it looks quite worn)

But thanks again for the feedback

Back to TWS now

Apr 2, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #51,952 of 62,422
Pleasant surprise! I picked up Skullcandy Indy ANC TWS at Target for $49.00 (on sale from $130), and amazingly good at the sale price.. I've come to the conclusion (probably far behind some of you), that there is a certain synergy for these things per each of us.. One man's paradise is another man's "what the hell". I'm wondering if humans actually process sound internally quite different, maybe beyond what the Harman curve detected, and try's to compensate for. There is plenty more to discover...
BTW, these are the Indy XT ANC's at Walmart, they are the same and on sale there too.. 👍
True. The Harman is just a gross approximation. Even the pinna gain can differ depending on ear shape and canal. Beyond that everyone has tastes that often lead far from a natural sound. Even moods, ear fatigue and time of day can change one's preferences. Also the brain compensates fast. And the horrible mastering of most music these days doesn't help to find a personal target.

Apr 2, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #51,953 of 62,422
True. The Harman is just a gross approximation. Even the pinna gain can differ depending on ear shape and canal. Beyond that everyone has tastes that often lead far from a natural sound. Even moods, ear fatigue and time of day can change one's preferences. Also the brain compensates fast. And the horrible mastering of most music these days doesn't help to find a personal target.
Frequency curve generalizations in general seem unable to convey what to expect from an iem. An all BA 3 driver configuration following the Harman curve is going to be completely different to a single beryllium dynamic driver following the curve. I'm still relatively new to the audio world but a lot of the established ways of describing things seem unhelpful to me.

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #51,954 of 62,422
How does the ANC compare? I’m also thinking about the ML 5909…
I thought the ANC was the best of the bunch. Had the Bathys and the ML5909 and thought the MLs didn't fit as good. ANC on them were pretty meh imo. Out of the three, the PX8 were my fav. Maybe a bit more warm, but as a complete package, they feel so much more premium and ANC was better. That said, they've been hanging in front of me, unused for weeks because I'm obsessed with my three latest TWS buds - Oppo, Oneplus and rebuy of the Huawei. Ugh.

Apr 2, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #51,955 of 62,422
I thought the ANC was the best of the bunch. Had the Bathys and the ML5909 and thought the MLs didn't fit as good. ANC on them were pretty meh imo. Out of the three, the PX8 were my fav. Maybe a bit more warm, but as a complete package, they feel so much more premium and ANC was better. That said, they've been hanging in front of me, unused for weeks because I'm obsessed with my three latest TWS buds - Oppo, Oneplus and rebuy of the Huawei. Ugh.
Which one of the three you use often is best for gym and has good bass?

Apr 2, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #51,956 of 62,422
Which one of the three you use often is best for gym and has good bass?
Never used them at a gym, but all the have the same form factor as airpods pro. One plus buds pro 2 have really deep punchy bass. All three are so very similar.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #51,957 of 62,422
Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 sound odd to me. On paper they should be relatively good but something is wrong with the tuning. A tad like the drivers were really forced to do what they need to.. bizarre. Not a faulty unit; had two. On the other hand everything else is either fantastic or good enough. Many features that other or even higher end TWS are lacking +great case size and how easy is to get them out of it.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #51,958 of 62,422
Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 sound odd to me. On paper they should be relatively good but something is wrong with the tuning. A tad like the drivers were really forced to do what they need to.. bizarre. Not a faulty unit; had two. On the other hand everything else is either fantastic or good enough. Many features that other or even higher end TWS are lacking +great case size and how easy is to get them out of it.
They do have a very different sound with ANC off. Kind of a super clarity that I find pretty amazing but hard to take in longer sessions.

Apr 2, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #51,959 of 62,422
They do have a very different sound with ANC off. Kind of a super clarity that I find pretty amazing but hard to take in longer sessions.
The HFbP 1 did have a massive difference in tuning ANC on/off and was shiet in both but in the v2 is not that great tbh. There is a difference but relatively small (or even marginal to me in real life scenarios)

Forgot to mention, I can't stand the tuning so much I don't use them for music.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #51,960 of 62,422

Well, there's a 10-band custom EQ in the app. Just sayin...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back