Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 12, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #48,196 of 62,340
Okay y'all, just like usual I'm thinking of getting something new, which would you choose:
  • Beyerdynamic Free Byrd
  • Audio Technica ATH-TWX9
  • Galaxy Buds 2 Pro (Knowing that I have the first ones...)
  • Huawei Freebuds Pro 2
  • Bose QC II

Any thoughts on these? I'd rather not spend more than $300-ish so some of the TOTL choices might not be possible.
I can only talk about what I know and thats the Galaxy line. I have the original GBPro and now the new model and I really like the sound of the new model more and it fits wayyyyy better. But its battery life is around the same and its ambient mode is only just OK. The ANC mode is much better though.

Sonically it has more sub-bass, the mid-bass is less prominent, and the general sound is a bit brighter and more linear sounding but not in a harsh way. The sound stage is a bit more 3D with good width. Bottom line is its less warm :).

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #48,198 of 62,340
So still no twx9-FoKus pro-EX shootout? I hear you like the victor. Got it. Anyone on the twx9 vs these two?
See above somewhere. Few posts/pages up.

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #48,199 of 62,340
So still no twx9-FoKus pro-EX shootout? I hear you like the victor. Got it. Anyone on the twx9 vs these two?
Apparently, the Fokus Pro can go to hell, the Victor can't be beaten (Unless you are trying to figure out if they are the exact same as the JVC) and the TWx9 is the best possible sounding buds there is, packed with features that do what they're meant to. Bang Bang, How's that for a shootout?

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #48,200 of 62,340
Apparently, the Fokus Pro can go to hell, the Victor can't be beaten (Unless you are trying to figure out if they are the exact same as the JVC) and the TWx9 is the best possible sounding buds there is, packed with features that do what they're meant to. Bang Bang, How's that for a shootout?
Now I am curious about the twx9 sound, damnit

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #48,201 of 62,340
Not entirely sure why I haven't simply bought the ATH-TWX9 from amazon.jp already. At the current exchange rate, it's a hell of a good deal, I suppose. I say this in an uneducated way because my next TWS purchase will be my first.

My reluctance probably comes form my lack of appetite in winding up with a small collection of TWS (or anything, really); in this case, not knowing how well these would work for my use case (strictly for use with my Macbook Pro for video conference calls and video consumption, very little music) has me leaning towards the boring, conventional choice of the APP2. 1st World problems for sure hahaha.

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #48,202 of 62,340
Not entirely sure why I haven't simply bought the ATH-TWX9 from amazon.jp already. At the current exchange rate, it's a hell of a good deal, I suppose. I say this in an uneducated way because my next TWS purchase will be my first.

My reluctance probably comes form my lack of appetite in winding up with a small collection of TWS (or anything, really); in this case, not knowing how well these would work for my use case (strictly for use with my Macbook Pro for video conference calls and video consumption, very little music) has me leaning towards the boring, conventional choice of the APP2. 1st World problems for sure hahaha.
For me, it just hard for me to return the earbuds back to japan if I don't like it

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #48,203 of 62,340
Just picked up the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1+ for $90 Canadian (with tax)...they sound great so far! No anc, but I found a really good fit that it doesn't matter.
Big fan of the original M1 and now the M1+. Very underrated IMHO, especially with foam tips. They have them for $59 on Amazon so I bought a backup pair. No, not ANC, but seal very well. Just a fan of the sound, and builr like tanks.

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #48,204 of 62,340
Big fan of the original M1 and now the M1+. Very underrated IMHO, especially with foam tips. They have them for $59 on Amazon so I bought a backup pair. No, not ANC, but seal very well. Just a fan of the sound, and builr like tanks.
Yeah the seal is excellent and they really feel solid. Very impressed!

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #48,205 of 62,340
Don't remember this Bose QCII review being posted before, it's not in English but the charts and subtitles are so it's easy to follow. The measurements are very detailed and there are actual listening tests for ANC and Ambient. The reviews reflects my experience (white noise, noise control always on) except for the wind noise part that I get in ANC mode, especially in the right ear.
Given his results he seems to be thinking that they only use the internal microphone for ANC, like the XM4 in "wind redution" mode but given my experience it doesn't seem to be the case and it wouldn't likely produce the excellent ANC he's measuring that would have to come from the ForceFeedback+Feedback ANC combo.

Oct 13, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #48,206 of 62,340
I'm starting to be tempted by the Audio Technica's now... but I feel like I know too little about them besides "sounds really good", Like call quality/battery life/anc strength and stuff like that.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #48,207 of 62,340
New Sony!! :thumbsup: ....
1665666882020.png

1665666903900.png

It is another OTC HA but only a TWS with iOS for some reason but the app is for both Android/iOS.
:wink:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #48,208 of 62,340
Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #48,209 of 62,340
What are some of the consensus best TWS at the $50 USD price point and $100 price point these days? Back when I was looking for some, the SSK BT-03 were the ones to get, but they've been discontinued. Thanks in advance!

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #48,210 of 62,340
I have the MW07 and really like the sound signature. However, I cannot get a good fit because the body of the IEM prevents reaching acceptable depth of insertion into the ear canal. Or you could say the length of the stem for the ear tip is too short to get proper depth. So I cannot get a good seal and thus that prevents achieving a good bass response.

I also have the Liberty 2 Pro and like them as well, but I think the MW07 is a little more coherent and balanced and inline with my tastes? However, I find them hard to get a good insertion depth as well, similar to the MW07.

For those familiar with the MW07, what BT earphones have at least a similar sound or better, but are easier to get a better fit with deeper ear tip insertion? I like good treble, the MW07 delivers and I do not consider myself a basshead and I like a somewhat balanced and fast sound with good impact, that is the way I would describe the MW07, imo.

I'm willing to spend whatever it takes to get decent sound.

EDIT: It appears the MW08 has a slightly differently shaped body that may possibly make a deeper fit possible? Does anyone have any experience in that being the case?
Maybe the L3pro would be an option as well?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back