Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 11, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #48,181 of 62,670
Kinda skeptical of the FW1000 outclassing the Noble but the other side of the coin since I love the Be driver in the Kenwood so JVC is capable when they try.

The ZE3000 better than the Noble is an interesting clue hear. A few have had both and I don't think I have heard that on Head-fi or elsewhere. You are in the minority there. There is always the ZE8000 though which should be out in short order.

Have you heard more than one Fokus Pro just to make sure there was no issue? Cause I have only heard the JVC/Victor may be close but never a no contest and IIRC, outside of you, I haven't heard any final TWS sounding better than the Noble.

I have heard not one not two but FOUR Fokus Pros to make sure, two are demoes from different stores, one is mine and one is my pal's. Besides one demo set (which was heard right out of the box when it was first released) all other three set sounds consistent and consistently bleh. Suffers from the same mid hollowness and bass bloat like many other TWS, like there are random troughs everywhere across the board. Overall it is an easy listen, much to their credit (that's part of the reason I still use mine sometimes when I just want some unobtrusive BGM around - most of the time I have both the Noble and the Victor in my bag for different purposes), but definitely not for critical listening or more trained ears. The Victor is way more full and balanced, so is the Final (and actually other Final offerings as well, including my EVA crossover model, bar the 8000 which is still not yet released up to today).

I may be the minority here but I think part of the reason is the popularity of the Noble and the relative obscurity of the Victors (and some conflicting views amongst the few who had tried them, which I put down partly to the need for understanding of the spiral dot tips). Basically no one - NONE - who bothered to try mine doesn't agree (except a couple of non-audio hobbyist who think the Fokus gives more bass slam, which is quite true TBH - mid-bass slam to be exact).

To make things perfectly clear, I listen to mine exclusively through my iPhone XS, and I haven't kept account of what others use when they try my sets. And I am on my second Victor set - my first set was stolen amongst other things, and I spent like a week or two trying my best to settle on the Noble, but in the end I have to buy them again since they are so much better.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #48,182 of 62,670
I have heard not one not two but FOUR Fokus Pros to make sure, two are demoes from different stores, one is mine and one is my pal's. Besides one demo set (which was heard right out of the box when it was first released) all other three set sounds consistent and consistently bleh. Suffers from the same mid hollowness and bass bloat like many other TWS, like there are random troughs everywhere across the board. Overall it is an easy listen, much to their credit (that's part of the reason I still use mine sometimes when I just want some unobtrusive BGM around - most of the time I have both the Noble and the Victor in my bag for different purposes), but definitely not for critical listening or more trained ears. The Victor is way more full and balanced, so is the Final (and actually other Final offerings as well, including my EVA crossover model, bar the 8000 which is still not yet released up to today).

I may be the minority here but I think part of the reason is the popularity of the Noble and the relative obscurity of the Victors (and some conflicting views amongst the few who had tried them, which I put down partly to the need for understanding of the spiral dot tips). Basically no one - NONE - who bothered to try mine doesn't agree (except a couple of non-audio hobbyist who think the Fokus gives more bass slam, which is quite true TBH - mid-bass slam to be exact).

To make things perfectly clear, I listen to mine exclusively through my iPhone XS, and I haven't kept account of what others use when they try my sets.
Interesting. I absolutely LOVED the Fokus Pro much more than the ZE3000. Different strokes for different folks for sure. Final buds weren't awful, but also, the form factor killed my ears with the squared edges. Early on, I read Final was going to have an app for EQ et al. Not sure why they abandoned it or if that news was even real. Never had bass bloat or any other issues with hollowness with my Fokus Pro. I particularly thought the three drivers preformed well and loved the separation. Granted, they've been sold because I do prefer my TWS with more features for WFH. Sold my Fokus Pro so they didn't collect too much dust and lose resale value. My collection is a revolving door so I can keep trying new TWS that come out. The only buds that seemed to have legs over here are the B&O EX. The new ATH-TWX9's are the latest add and they're incredibly fun. Few bugs, but very surprised by them because I never truly love Audio Technica TWS.

Oct 11, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #48,183 of 62,670
Preset and custom EQ available for pixel buds pro now.

AWdl4pu.jpg

vWiFrXl.jpg
Looking forward to checking these out. Picked up a pair on a Prime Day deal today. Hope I dig them!

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #48,186 of 62,670
I find them to be extremely comfortable for me and luckily fits my ear.
I really enjoyed them in the very short time I had them. The short nozzle stopped me from achieving seal.

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #48,187 of 62,670
Interesting. I absolutely LOVED the Fokus Pro much more than the ZE3000. Different strokes for different folks for sure. Final buds weren't awful, but also, the form factor killed my ears with the squared edges. Early on, I read Final was going to have an app for EQ et al. Not sure why they abandoned it or if that news was even real. Never had bass bloat or any other issues with hollowness with my Fokus Pro. I particularly thought the three drivers preformed well and loved the separation. Granted, they've been sold because I do prefer my TWS with more features for WFH. Sold my Fokus Pro so they didn't collect too much dust and lose resale value. My collection is a revolving door so I can keep trying new TWS that come out. The only buds that seemed to have legs over here are the B&O EX. The new ATH-TWX9's are the latest add and they're incredibly fun. Few bugs, but very surprised by them because I never truly love Audio Technica TWS.

Quite interested to try the TWX9 too but like you I'm never impressed with their previous offerings.

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #48,188 of 62,670
Okay y'all, just like usual I'm thinking of getting something new, which would you choose:
  • Beyerdynamic Free Byrd
  • Audio Technica ATH-TWX9
  • Galaxy Buds 2 Pro (Knowing that I have the first ones...)
  • Huawei Freebuds Pro 2
  • Bose QC II

Any thoughts on these? I'd rather not spend more than $300-ish so some of the TOTL choices might not be possible.

Oct 12, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #48,191 of 62,670
This thread is ginormous. Forgive me if the question is re-asked and previous answer lies only a few pages back!

I currently run Master and Dynamic MWOD+ earbuds for work, and am wondering about any potential upgrades that would be obvious to a discerning listener, but retain all of the incoming/outgoing call, ANC, preferable aptX or LDAC compatible functionality?

All I can find online is that people are raving about the newest Sony, but want to make sure it passes snuff with actual audiophiles not just CNET.

Tia

Oct 12, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #48,192 of 62,670
The more I use the Bose QCii the more I'm really enjoying them. I still can't get over how great they sound at low volumes. I have made a few calls with them and no complaints from the other side so far.
I really do agree with you here. I am very impressed with the QCII. The ANC is phenomenal and the sound is wide and deep. Particularly amazed by how great the sub bass is (with minor EQ). Great for hard rock/metal on my end. No issues on calls, zoom, etc. I have them paired to several device and I'm able to force connect when needed.

Oct 12, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #48,193 of 62,670
Thanks. I’ll await your feedback I think. Need to be a material step up in sq to take me from my Bose these days.
Honestly, if you already love those Bose QCII, you can probably save your money and pass on the ATH-TWX9.

... But, if you have a wild hair and want to try something new, the ATH-TWX9 are the best TWS A&T have made thus far imo. Wireless charging. AirPods-esque fit. Decent app with EQ and the ability to fine tune your volume controls to 16/32/64 steps. I thought the ANC was going to be awful but I'm happy with what they block out here at home. One glaring plus for me -- they don't have muddy bass that lacks clarity. I used to think the bass on their previous offerings was their downfall.

Oct 12, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #48,194 of 62,670
Do they slip out easily? That would probably be a deal breaker. I don’t need to go for a run but even the app2 slip out on me with limited motion.
For me, they fit more snug than the APP. Plus, there are so many tips, I would think that would help. That said, I use them primarily stationary.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #48,195 of 62,670
I find myself grabbing the TWX9 more than the EX now. If I am going to the pool, the EX it is.

They are the best $216 I have spent in wireless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back