Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 27, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #47,971 of 62,135
I will say so far I am really digging the ATH-TWX9 sound. There are many variables to the sound with regards to having an effect on the signature. I have not scratched the surface, very hesitant to give brief impressions. With full ANC, EQ disabled, I have sampled the Yellowjackets, Infected Mushroom and Ozzy. The sound is full and rich. These really have a natural tonality for a wireless, cymbals crash with nice decay. Bass is snappy with enough decay to have a good sub rumble. The details definitely get through and are present.
I will need time to test ANC etc. But so far so good!!!

Edit: When EQ is enabled you lose volume.
Infected Mushroom... 😃

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #47,972 of 62,135
Screenshot_20220927_184030_Connect.jpg

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #47,973 of 62,135
I have the n400 and buds+ too. I agree the treble sounds too hot on them. The buds2 pro tame the highs very well and adds lots of details retrieval in the mids.

If you are using a Samsung phone which supports the seamless codec, the 24 bit sound brings even more refinement to the sound. Switching between seamless codec and AAC in developer options, AAC sounds congested when the music gets busy, whille seamless codec separates the sound nicely and has a more "uncompressed" sound, the soundstage gets "taller" and "wider". So the seamless codec not only benefits high quality music formats, it also has a better transmission chain which benefits lossy compressed files sound quality as well.
Darn you and @SilverEars and Crinnacle! I just couldn't stand it, I ordered a pair from Samsung with a bit of financing to spread out the pain. Just need to see if Samsung has succeeded on something Sony just seems unable to do in regards to Codecs. I have the current GBuds Pro so will be able to compare. If they have bigger bass, a bit more tamed upper mids and all this added sound stage, detail, separation etc I will have a new favorite toy.

From what I have read they are more comfortable and fit better than the GBuds Pro which would also be a bonus along with more standard tips...

Here I am drinking more of the Samsung coolaid...

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #47,974 of 62,135
I just got them in and they haven't succeeded. It's just another avg TWS. The ANC is ok, not much better. I'm underwhelmed. The tonality is better than their previous stuff, but it technically sucks balls. lol.

Maybe one day I will run into a TWS with good technicalities. I'm generally underwhelmed by BT products. Nothing all that exciting sound wise. It's just for utility. That is all. APP 2's sound suppression thing seems cool.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #47,975 of 62,135
Trying the Comply tips that came with the B&O EX. Feels like it makes the sound warmer by de-emphasizing treble... just my ears playing tricks on me or is that what it's supposed to do?

I'm so new to the hobby that I'm discovering things everyday lol. Love it. These buds are probably gonna sink me down a whole new rabbit hole - hell it probably already has considering I'm looking at the Hifiman XS 🤣

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #47,976 of 62,135
I just got them in and they haven't succeeded. It's just another avg TWS. The ANC is ok, not much better. I'm underwhelmed. The tonality is better than their previous stuff, but it technically sucks balls. lol.

Maybe one day I will run into a TWS with good technicalities. I'm generally underwhelmed by BT products. Nothing all that exciting sound wise. It's just for utility. That is all. APP 2's sound suppression thing seems cool.
This is about the APP2 or Samsung Buds 2 Pro? And man it's unfortunate to hear that... there are sadly too few tws with decent technical capability hahahaha

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #47,977 of 62,135
This is about the APP2 or Samsung Buds 2 Pro? And man it's unfortunate to hear that... there are sadly too few tws with decent technical capability hahahaha
Samsung Buds 2 Pro. I just saw a vid on the APP2, and the sound suppression feature seems really cool and useful if you are in the city.

They are ok at best, nothing really all that spectacular. The convenience and what features they offer are what helps them stand out.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #47,978 of 62,135
Samsung Buds 2 Pro. I just saw a vid on the APP2, and the sound suppression feature seems really cool and useful if you are in the city.

They are ok at best, nothing really all that spectacular. The convenience and what features they offer are what helps them stand out.
You kinda get what you pay for. If you want great TWS, it's the Noble Fokus Pro or for a lot of us, the B&O EX. But you know, nothing will compare to a great wired IEM. That said, I do think the GB2 Pro sound better than the APP first gen by far, haven't heard APP2 yet. Soon! I like the AKG tuning of the GB2 Pro. They're great for sleeping. Granted, I paid $30 or so bucks for mine, so I can forgive their pitfalls. But you nailed it, they're built for the convenience and features. Great on Android but you need to go into Labs and turn on the other features to get them over to an iPhone.

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #47,979 of 62,135
Darn you and @SilverEars and Crinnacle! I just couldn't stand it, I ordered a pair from Samsung with a bit of financing to spread out the pain. Just need to see if Samsung has succeeded on something Sony just seems unable to do in regards to Codecs. I have the current GBuds Pro so will be able to compare. If they have bigger bass, a bit more tamed upper mids and all this added sound stage, detail, separation etc I will have a new favorite toy.

From what I have read they are more comfortable and fit better than the GBuds Pro which would also be a bonus along with more standard tips...

Here I am drinking more of the Samsung coolaid...
Hey, I'm an Apple fanboy and I do love my GB2 Pro buds. I use them all the time. They DO fit waaaaay better than the first gen. I think you'll really enjoy them.

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #47,980 of 62,135
Trying the Comply tips that came with the B&O EX. Feels like it makes the sound warmer by de-emphasizing treble... just my ears playing tricks on me or is that what it's supposed to do?

I'm so new to the hobby that I'm discovering things everyday lol. Love it. These buds are probably gonna sink me down a whole new rabbit hole - hell it probably already has considering I'm looking at the Hifiman XS 🤣
I keep swapping tips on mine and then wind up going back to the stock silicone large! Glad you dig them. They're great.

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #47,981 of 62,135

Now you just made me sad... LOL

We're you a le to try the Samsung hires codec? If so what did you notice different?

I just ordered the pair and it's coming from Samsung and they say they are backlogged so I will some time to cancel if I want.

@DigDub keep giving your impressions. BTW did you the original GBuds Pro? If so how do they compare? I own them and do like their sound for the most part which is part of why I am giving these a try to see how the hires codec sounds.

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #47,982 of 62,135

Have you tried TWS adapters such as the Shure TW2? Currently using mine and they definitely sound better than any other TWS but it all depends also what IEMs you’re hooking them up to.
But all in all they sound as good as wired IEMs.

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #47,983 of 62,135

We're you a le to try the Samsung hires codec? If so what did you notice different?

I just ordered the pair and it's coming from Samsung and they say they are backlogged so I will some time to cancel if I want.

@DigDub keep giving your impressions. BTW did you the original GBuds Pro? If so how do they compare? I own them and do like their sound for the most part which is part of why I am giving these a try to see how the hires codec sounds.
Sorry, I feel like I led you on or something. I just saw Crin's post, and garnered some interest and tried it out, and turned out to be underwhelming.

I really don't care what the codec is as long as it's minimum AAC level. There really is no lossless codec out there. FLAC is still a fairly high bitrate compared to any BT codecs out there. I think with BT there is the issue of signal quality variations through time. That's why codecs are generally adaptive.

Even Samsung's 'seamless' codec is pretty much marketing concept that doesn't improve the quality significant enough. It sounds to be like another adaptive codec that has a bandwidth cap. Sure, some codecs are more efficient than others like AAC.

I have tried putting LDAC on fixed bitrate, the signal gets degraded depending on the environment. Which is why LDAC is defaulted to be adaptive like other codecs. In reality, it doesn't not function like advertised. The bitrate varies with a low cap. This is to hide noticeable signal degradation effects.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #47,984 of 62,135

i recently tried the samsung buds pro 2 on an audio meet, a friend brought his unit. I only tested it briefly and only focusing on the sound (didn't test the anc, ambient, and other features)
i think it sounded really good..similar tuning as the previous G buds, but with a calmer treble. I like the smaller size too

Sep 28, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #47,985 of 62,135

I have the buds pro as well. The buds pro has more elevated bass and treble which makes for a more exciting sound. The buds2 pro sounds more refined and less fatiguing. I find myself enjoy listening the buds2 pro for a longer stretch. The bass is pretty unique, unlike most earbuds that adds bass to everything, the bass on the buds2 pro appears only when necessary, and when they show up, it rumbles deep and impactful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back