Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 29, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #48,001 of 62,585
I also got mail! And no, not the TWX9 :wink:
00D34D77-158F-473B-955D-EE87E5DCF7A9.jpeg
8C900CFD-7EFE-4103-8A48-8F1357D9AC1D.jpeg

Very first impressions:
- How dare they arrive with only 20% battery on the buds?
- Whoever called this 'Bose sound on steroids' has a point! Smooth low bass!
- The ANC, now with proper band and tips, is indeed very awesome! I happen to have an active construction site close by, all ANC buds could deal with the rumble, but one machine does some annoying ringing noise .. this is gone now!
- There is some white noise when ANC is on / no music playing ... personally I don't mind it .. actually, if I had not read about this here, I would have blamed my old ears .

The fit is not very awesome, as if they managed to magically integrate the best of the StayHear tips into the actual buds.

Can't believe AliExpress does not have any case bumpers yet. They were pretty quick with the Free Byrds ...

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #48,002 of 62,585
Im really waiting to hear more about the ATH-TWX9. Specially interested on the sound and call quality.

Ive been using EX and Im quite happy with them. Its a good package, where everything is good. SQ is times very delightful for a TWS. Call quality is decent. The design is great, they look cool. I have good fit with Spinfit cp360 M. The biggest stocktips are also ok.

They do have a limited app, some connection bugs and annoying bug where anc defaults to "on" on every startup.

I paid 310€ from them at the end, and think it was worth it. Compared to (returned) the MTW3's for 210€ these are much better sound and call quality wise.

These have a balanced and pleasing sound, compared to the MTW3's which I would describe as dull. At the same time L3P's have so much more power, but taming that in is not easy.

Im not sure can the ATH-TWX9 reach above the EX level on the sound and call quality.

I would prefer not to buy electronics that just rot away and have one device I use always.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #48,003 of 62,585
Couldn’t help myself and ordered the Bose QCII buds. I enjoy the QC’s so sounds like they’ll be a good step up (and should probably sell them on now!). Busy two weeks with these and the APP2 (plus I have two full size arrivals :))

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #48,004 of 62,585
Im really waiting to hear more about the ATH-TWX9. Specially interested on the sound and call quality.

Ive been using EX and Im quite happy with them. Its a good package, where everything is good. SQ is times very delightful for a TWS. Call quality is decent. The design is great, they look cool. I have good fit with Spinfit cp360 M. The biggest stocktips are also ok.

They do have a limited app, some connection bugs and annoying bug where anc defaults to "on" on every startup.

I paid 310€ from them at the end, and think it was worth it. Compared to (returned) the MTW3's for 210€ these are much better sound and call quality wise.

These have a balanced and pleasing sound. Compared to the MTW3's which I would describe as dull. At the same time L3P's have so much more power, but taming that in is not easy.

Im not sure can the ATH-TWX9 reach above the EX level on the sound and call quality.

I would prefer not to buy electronics that just rot away and have one device I use always.
Being an EX-owner, I will do my best to compare the two as we go along. I am impressed with the TWX9 sound, but when you throw in "reaching above" the EX, at this point I think it will come down to nuances for you because you are an EX owner. I feel the TWX9 holds it own, but I don't have enough experience yet with it. At this point, I believe it will become nuances only.

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #48,005 of 62,585
This is kinda frustrating, I told y'all about the Soundcore L3P's that I bought and then got the money back from because of the volume difference between the two earbuds.
After cleaning the filters/nozzles with alcohol based on guidance from Soundcore's website, they sound at least close to what they should... with just a slight feeling that I'm hearing a little less detail on my left ear, but I'm actually starting to think that the REST of this "imbalance" is honestly just my left ear being wonky, possibly from wax buildup from using my Galaxy Buds Pro.
Because I know I get A LOT more ear wax when using them compared to the rest of my "arsenal", and since I lost my previous pair of L3P's I have been using the GBP's quite heavily.
Vocals just sound sliiightly panned to the right, but it's very subtle and sometimes I just can't remember if the track actually features the main vocal track more heavily on the right side lol, and trying to put the right earbud in the left ear and vice versa honestly... doesn't change much.
I feel like I hear some details better on the left with the earbuds reversed, but the vocals still kinda panned to the right-ish which makes me think its my left ear.

So right now I'm faced with a dilemma;
I can either give them back to the guy I bought them from who will send them in for replacement (which might not happen if they can't replicate the issue IF it is in fact my ears that are the remaining issue which means unnecessary waiting to get the same pair back) which if it works, will mean that I can buy the new ones he gets for a decent price.
But the other option is honestly just keeping this set that may or _may not_ be slightly wonky... for free.
The dude still reiterated today that I can keep them for free if I want to "for the trouble", because he hadn't checked them prior to selling them.
Right now i'm actually only about 50/50 on whether the remaining issue is only my ears or if it's the earbuds.

What would you guys do?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #48,007 of 62,585
Visit a doctor to let clean your ears and then try again?
I most likely will, but I know it'll take some time before I can book an appointment, I don't think this random stranger will wait for me to find a doctor, find a time that fits me that suits my work schedule, book the appointment, and then actually have the appointment before we make the decision lol.
Otherwise a solid idea.

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #48,009 of 62,585
This is kinda frustrating, I told y'all about the Soundcore L3P's that I bought and then got the money back from because of the volume difference between the two earbuds.
After cleaning the filters/nozzles with alcohol based on guidance from Soundcore's website, they sound at least close to what they should... with just a slight feeling that I'm hearing a little less detail on my left ear, but I'm actually starting to think that the REST of this "imbalance" is honestly just my left ear being wonky, possibly from wax buildup from using my Galaxy Buds Pro.
Because I know I get A LOT more ear wax when using them compared to the rest of my "arsenal", and since I lost my previous pair of L3P's I have been using the GBP's quite heavily.
Vocals just sound sliiightly panned to the right, but it's very subtle and sometimes I just can't remember if the track actually features the main vocal track more heavily on the right side lol, and trying to put the right earbud in the left ear and vice versa honestly... doesn't change much.
I feel like I hear some details better on the left with the earbuds reversed, but the vocals still kinda panned to the right-ish which makes me think its my left ear.

So right now I'm faced with a dilemma;
I can either give them back to the guy I bought them from who will send them in for replacement (which might not happen if they can't replicate the issue IF it is in fact my ears that are the remaining issue which means unnecessary waiting to get the same pair back) which if it works, will mean that I can buy the new ones he gets for a decent price.
But the other option is honestly just keeping this set that may or _may not_ be slightly wonky... for free.
The dude still reiterated today that I can keep them for free if I want to "for the trouble", because he hadn't checked them prior to selling them.
Right now i'm actually only about 50/50 on whether the remaining issue is only my ears or if it's the earbuds.

What would you guys do?

try using other earbuds/iems and use frequency sweep test (this site might help https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_index.php ) to check if the imbalance problem is only on the L3P or from the ears.

I hope it helps

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #48,010 of 62,585
You cannot hear this difference with other buds? Or don't you have some at hands?
I've tried using my Galaxy Buds Pros, and i'm constantly second guessing myself. I think I kinda hear the same thing there. But I hadn't given it even a single thought until now when I had to compare.
try using other earbuds/iems and use frequency sweep test (this site might help https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_index.php ) to check if the imbalance problem is only on the L3P or from the ears.

I hope it helps
I actually already tried some of the tests there but I'm not sure, did the "driver matching" test and I definitely get some panning during that tests, and it pans the opposite way when I switch and put my earbuds in the wrong ear. It's not 100% "in the middle of my head" as they say it should be, it starts slightly right of center in my head and then I feel like it's panning left as the frequency rises and then a little back to the right as we get to the highest frequencies, but it's extremely subtle!

Also adjusting the fit actually makes it not appear as if it's panning which makes me even more confused.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #48,012 of 62,585
Updated impressions on TWX9. I changed stock tips to Final's Edge E Series. This seems to give a more clarity and clean up the mid-bass bump I hear on stock tips. On stock tips, I have to use "Treble Enhance" EQ setting to tailor to my taste, whereas Final tips don't require an EQing. I would say they've grown on my after this bit of tip rolling; they respond very well to well produced music, sound spacious and detailed. On poorly recorded music, they can sound a little cloggy. But generally, top tier.

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #48,013 of 62,585
I've tried using my Galaxy Buds Pros, and i'm constantly second guessing myself. I think I kinda hear the same thing there. But I hadn't given it even a single thought until now when I had to compare.

I actually already tried some of the tests there but I'm not sure, did the "driver matching" test and I definitely get some panning during that tests, and it pans the opposite way when I switch and put my earbuds in the wrong ear. It's not 100% "in the middle of my head" as they say it should be, it starts slightly right of center in my head and then I feel like it's panning left as the frequency rises and then a little back to the right as we get to the highest frequencies, but it's extremely subtle!

Also adjusting the fit actually makes it not appear as if it's panning which makes me even more confused.

hmmm.. if you switch the earbuds positions and the panning also changes direction, then i guess that L3P unit indeed have imbalance issues..
just to make sure, did you have the same panning when listening to the test using other earphones?

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #48,014 of 62,585

Very first impressions:
- The ANC, now with proper band and tips, is indeed very awesome! I happen to have an active construction site close by, all ANC buds could deal with the rumble, but one machine does some annoying ringing noise .. this is gone now!
- There is some white noise when ANC is on / no music playing ... personally I don't mind it .. actually, if I had not read about this here, I would have blamed my old ears .

The fit is not very awesome, as if they managed to magically integrate the best of the StayHear tips into the actual buds.

Can't believe AliExpress does not have any case bumpers yet. They were pretty quick with the Free Byrds ...
I didn't know QCE2 was released already. It says Oct 3 on the webpage. I was impressed with the soundstage and bass with the first one. I hope this one is just as good or better with smaller formfactor because I hated the bulk.

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #48,015 of 62,585

Very first impressions:

I love mine. New version blows away the first gen. I use the QCII every day. ANC is spectacular. Sometimes I use them without music just to silence the world. Sound is great. The form factor is soooooo much better that the first gen which were huge. No issues on calls or Zoom with them. Very curious to hear more feedback about the ANC vs APP2. I'm experiencing a few bugs whereas the buds will not power on and/or connect right away. Have to put them in the case and reconnect. The B&O EX used to do this, but seems to have sorted it out. The Bose Music app sometimes won't connect with the QCII. Reboot fixes it. Doesn't happen often. Frustrating, but I'm sure Bose will fix this at some point. I still wish the case had Qi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back