Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 27, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #47,956 of 61,385
I have the n400 and buds+ too. I agree the treble sounds too hot on them. The buds2 pro tame the highs very well and adds lots of details retrieval in the mids.

If you are using a Samsung phone which supports the seamless codec, the 24 bit sound brings even more refinement to the sound. Switching between seamless codec and AAC in developer options, AAC sounds congested when the music gets busy, whille seamless codec separates the sound nicely and has a more "uncompressed" sound, the soundstage gets "taller" and "wider". So the seamless codec not only benefits high quality music formats, it also has a better transmission chain which benefits lossy compressed files sound quality as well.
cool, my device supports OneUI 4.0. I need to read up on seemless codec.

Actually, seamless sounds like switches between Samsung devices seemlessly like Apple with their headphones.

I found this tidbit online. "Samsung’s Seamless codec supports up to 24-bit HiFi audio with a maximum bitrate of 512Kbps and a low of 88Kbps." Which sounds like adaptive. BT is probably generally adaptive as it's connection and interference dependent. Signal can degrade in certain situations.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #47,957 of 61,385
Was very close to ordering the ATH-TWX9. Read some of the translated reviews on Amazon JP especially those comparing the xm4 and seems I've side stepped that landmine lol

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #47,958 of 61,385
Was very close to ordering the ATH-TWX9. Read some of the translated reviews on Amazon JP especially those comparing the xm4 and seems I've side stepped that landmine lol
I read all of those reviews yesterday and didn't really see a ton negative, not sure what the landmine is?

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #47,959 of 61,385
I read all of those reviews yesterday and didn't really see a ton negative, not sure what the landmine is?
I did't say there was anything negative, just read the ANC and sound quality are not as good so would have had to import it, realise that, then have the hassle of selling it on.

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #47,960 of 61,385
I did't say there was anything negative, just read the ANC and sound quality are not as good so would have had to import it, realise that, then have the hassle of selling it on.
I don't think anyone expects ANC to be as good as the XM4. My take on the reviews is that the AT has a very different sound signature and it's a matter of preference. Btw, one of those reviews was nearly book length!

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #47,961 of 61,385
I'm also interested in the APP 2nd gen. Here is Crin's measurements. This garners some interest from me. Will have to find out how it sounds. Wonder how relatively high the 6-9k will sound, but 7k is boosted for transparency. Lots of TWS updates from big brands this fall! There's also the new Bose with the smaller form-factor.

FdVbMrraEAAqEzL.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #47,962 of 61,385
I don't think anyone expects ANC to be as good as the XM4. My take on the reviews is that the AT has a very different sound signature and it's a matter of preference. Btw, one of those reviews was nearly book length!
lol yes saw that one, I kept scrolling down on my phone and I thought I'd hit the wrong link or something - it went on for miles!

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #47,963 of 61,385
Yes. Mine are out for delivery today. I don't expect them to have XM4 ANC, I own the XM4 as well. Most of the comments are very positive about sq. I will let you know soon enough

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #47,965 of 61,385
I've been trying out a bunch of these TWS IEMs lately (usual suspects: LinkBud S, Galaxy Buds Pro, Senns, etc), but have been waiting to try the APP 2 before I made the purchase. Ended up getting the Sony XM4. I'm only really interested in sound quality, and these suited my personal tastes the best. I thought they had a more natural and warmer sound with the tightest bass. Others had a wider separation of sound, but in the end I settled on the XM4.

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #47,966 of 61,385
I’m right there with you. Still on the CA MT. Also considering an upgrade, not in a rush, because I’d rather wait for more LE Audio implementations, but still looking for better sound. Lately I’ve been leaning towards the Free Byrds, the MTW3 (or the ATH-TWX9, but these would definitely be harder to get). Also the new APP2. Still on my iPhone XS finding no reason to upgrade here, as it works flawlessly.

So basically, my current first world issues on the TWS front are:

Free Byrds
MTW3
ATH-TWX9
APP2

Looking for an all rounder with the best sound quality, around this price point.
Free byrds seem too massive imo
I have been thinking about the mtw3
The twx9 has to be shipped from Japan. I worry about warranty stuff
App 2 nah. I use android

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #47,970 of 61,385
I will say so far I am really digging the ATH-TWX9 sound. There are many variables to the sound with regards to having an effect on the signature. I have not scratched the surface, very hesitant to give brief impressions. With full ANC, EQ disabled, I have sampled the Yellowjackets, Infected Mushroom and Ozzy. The sound is full and rich. These really have a natural tonality for a wireless, cymbals crash with nice decay. Bass is snappy with enough decay to have a good sub rumble. The details definitely get through and are present.
I will need time to test ANC etc. But so far so good!!!

Edit: When EQ is enabled you lose volume.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back