Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 25, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #47,926 of 62,573
Hmm.... This is not a post my wallet wanted to see. I was going to pass on the buds 2 pro. I thank you. My wallet despises you. :)

5E4B271E-8CD4-4470-8567-DFDB4CACFB0C.jpeg
You're welcome. :D

Just when I thought high quality audio is dead along with the wires, here comes the buds2 pro. My interest in FLAC files has been revived. Listening to both lossy and loselsss versions of a song, the difference is stark. The loseless version sounds more energetic and better defined all around, while the lossy version sounds more lifeless. I'm so glad I bought the 512gb version of the flip 4, the bigger storage will come in handy storing all those huge FLAC files. :D

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #47,927 of 62,573

Just when I thought high quality audio is dead along with the wires, here comes the buds2 pro. My interest in FLAC files has been revived. Listening to both lossy and loselsss versions of a song, the difference is stark. The loseless version sounds more energetic and better defined all around, while the lossy version sounds more lifeless. I'm so glad I bought the 512gb version of the flip 4, the bigger storage will come in handy storing all those huge FLAC files. :D
I would love to try them but I know that short nozzle will be an epic fail for me.

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #47,928 of 62,573
I would love to try them but I know that short nozzle will be an epic fail for me.
The tips are longer on the buds2 pro. I had issues with the buds pro nozzles not fitting snugly in my ears. With the longer tips and smaller size inner body of the buds2 pro, I'm able to fit them comfortably and securely in my ears. I guess the round shape of the nozzle is also better than the oval shaped tips of previous Samsung buds.

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #47,929 of 62,573

I dropped a project to finish converting my cds to flac many years ago. I'm thinking I should pick that back up again. Hmmm. This is going to be time consuming...

Sep 25, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #47,930 of 62,573
I have converted most of my CD's to FLAC and also have bought hires FLAC files. When converting CD's they will only sound as good as a CD so I made to sure not to rip them at a lot higher rate than they actually play. This saves space. Actual hires flacs sound better but only if I use a chain of gear that can actually let me hear it.

I found it interesting, I pulled an overhead BT headphone last night and when using LDAC I had to set it to much higher settings than any of the TWS I have tried LDAC on. So I think LDAC is not really a big benefit on TWS.

The one set of GBud 2 Pro impressions using Samsung codec has me interested in giving them a whirl. Might be the only codec I can use on my Samsung to get higher bit rates out of a TWS. I have started to default to AAC as it's way easier and at least consistent as compared to LDAC.

Wish Samsung Canada would allow me send in one of my old pairs of Samsung buds on trade like they do in the US. I would bought a pair already if they did that.

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #47,931 of 62,573
For those interested in discussion of AirPods Pro 2 I suggest looking at this Head-Fi thread: "Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions"

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #47,932 of 62,573
I have converted most of my CD's to FLAC and also have bought hires FLAC files. When converting CD's they will only sound as good as a CD so I made to sure not to rip them at a lot higher rate than they actually play. This saves space. Actual hires flacs sound better but only if I use a chain of gear that can actually let me hear it.

I found it interesting, I pulled an overhead BT headphone last night and when using LDAC I had to set it to much higher settings than any of the TWS I have tried LDAC on. So I think LDAC is not really a big benefit on TWS.

The one set of GBud 2 Pro impressions using Samsung codec has me interested in giving them a whirl. Might be the only codec I can use on my Samsung to get higher bit rates out of a TWS. I have started to default to AAC as it's way easier and at least consistent as compared to LDAC.

Wish Samsung Canada would allow me send in one of my old pairs of Samsung buds on trade like they do in the US. I would bought a pair already if they did that.
Were you able to get it to always default to AAC on your Samsung phone? I could not do this on my Buds2 or Buds+ which was very annoying, as the Note 9 performs Poorly with the Scalable Codec.

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #47,933 of 62,573
Most of my BT stuff will default to AAC, the only ones that don't have APTx or LDAC.

I do own the GBuds Pro and those default to the scalable codec which fine on my S20. Not sure what other codecs they even use. So no I have done much with other codecs with that particular TWS.

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #47,938 of 62,573
I wish there was a TWS with both great sound quality AND good call quality. I have not tried many tws, but it seems to me from reading reviews that you can't get both worlds. Ex is way too expensive for my wallet, but that seems to be the only option if you want close to both worlds? Nothing cheaper than $400?

I am still switching between my cambridge audio melomania touch for music and wired IEMs for phone calls. Not very convenient, but it works for now. I'm still in search of tws that does both very well without spending insane money.

I’m right there with you. Still on the CA MT. Also considering an upgrade, not in a rush, because I’d rather wait for more LE Audio implementations, but still looking for better sound. Lately I’ve been leaning towards the Free Byrds, the MTW3 (or the ATH-TWX9, but these would definitely be harder to get). Also the new APP2. Still on my iPhone XS finding no reason to upgrade here, as it works flawlessly.

So basically, my current first world issues on the TWS front are:

Free Byrds
MTW3
ATH-TWX9
APP2

Looking for an all rounder with the best sound quality, around this price point.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #47,939 of 62,573
Yeah, the thud is expected but inability to turn off the ANC mics is unforgiveable.

Yep. QCII were dead to me from the start, just because of this. I mean, my CA MT don’t have ANC and I do miss it on occasion. But not being able to turn it off...

Any TWS I plan to get must be a versatile all rounder. No PI7 battery, no always on nothing. I may relinquish Qi but that’s about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back