Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 22, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #46,832 of 62,460
I prefer them over the EX, all things considered.
Sound is amazing on both but the sound personalization gives them the edge to me personally. Love the sound, I really do. Battery life is better as well. I can operate them better as I prefer the bigger touch surfaces. They're pretty much bug free as well. ANC and transparency are comparable on both, as is call quality. Got them for almost half the price of the EX (206€ vs. 399€). Much better bang for the buck, imo.

However, the EX are better built, have a nicer case, probably the more universal fit for more ears and multipoint bluetooth.

It really comes down to the fit, I would say...
And price :stuck_out_tongue:

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #46,833 of 62,460
With the Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro 2 coming out soon (August 10th) are there any interest in these? I for one like the 1st iteration and listen to them quite often (almost daily.) Samsung will probably offer trade ins, so I will probably send them my SGB Pro for a discount on the 2nd. Still considering the EX as I kind of like the form factor and have always like there tuning. I want the all black version and they seem to always be backordered.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #46,834 of 62,460
Any info on them yet?
With the Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro 2 coming out soon (August 10th) are there any interest in these? I for one like the 1st iteration and listen to them quite often (almost daily.) Samsung will probably offer trade ins, so I will probably send them my SGB Pro for a discount on the 2nd. Still considering the EX as I kind of like the form factor and have always like there tuning. I want the all black version and they seem to always be backordered.

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #46,836 of 62,460
One bug right away. When I change button settings on the buds themselves, they don't take to the buds. I did see they had an app bugs update today. Evidently, that didn't work. I'll try resetting the buds. That said, the default taps work fine (learning curve) but I prefer my own settings. (EDIT: reset the buds, deleted and reinstalled the app and now I can customize the taps). The app functions exactly like the FoKus Pro (same app). Sub bass is great with a flat EQ. ANC is decent. Not earth shattering. Comparable to the 1More EVO which were stunningly good and have better ANC at 42db. These have a little less ANC, but different tips may help add passive isolation. They block out all my fans, outdoor ambiance, etc. Purple is surprisingly beautiful. I'm not a purple guy, but these have a nice purple matte finish that helps prevent fingerprints. Case is plastic. Thin and light. Not awful, but def not as premium as the Pro. Which was expected. I truly wish these had wireless charging. They do not. Knew that going in. Going in for the kill with a new Megadeth track and these things do a great job. Nice soundstage, sub bass is great. Good detail. Mind you, I have not messed with any EQ yet. I will soon. Moved to the new Ghost album. Love how it's mixed. Sub bass is excellent with the Fokus H-ANC. Fit is perfect for my ears. Even with the stock tips that came installed. Took one phone call and the caller said I sounded loud and clear. Honeymoon phase has commenced!

I assume you'll be comparing this vs the regular Fokus? I almost bit the bullet on this as it looks nearly the same on paper and cheaper.

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #46,837 of 62,460
I do the same exact thing with mine. Float with some music and a beer, it's great.
The difference is, generally some form of tequila in my Yeti :ksc75smile:

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #46,838 of 62,460
I may have to check out the Pixel Buds Pro. Seem to have a nice feature set. Unfortunately, Google has that review embargo, so it is impossible to even get the crappy embellishment reviews. I will order them from Best Buy for easy return.

Jul 23, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #46,839 of 62,460
I assume you'll be comparing this vs the regular Fokus? I almost bit the bullet on this as it looks nearly the same on paper and cheaper.
Definitely not the same on paper. The Fokus Pro sounds exceptionally better because of the three drivers. More codecs too. Fokus H-ANC only has AAC and SBC, but are much better as an every day daily driver. My Fokus Pro moved on due to getting no love. No ANC and Transparency mode, not to mention the fit for me wasn’t always great. The Fokus H-ANC fits absolutely perfect. If you want the best sounding TWS, get the Fokus Pro. If you want another that is less of the sound the Fokus Pro has (but still sounds great) and has all the other features, get the H-ANC. I will not be looking back. If I truly want better sound, I’ll pop in my Moondrop S8 or Sennie IE600s.

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #46,840 of 62,460
I didn’t say you needed Wi-Fi for lossless. What I said was there is speculation that apple may implement a lossless protocol using airplay/Wi-Fi.
I’m sorry. My bad. I was just trying to give an engineer’s view…

I guess we will see how apple approaches the problem. I don’t see them adopting LC3 or the plus version anytime soon
They have no choice like all of us if they want the benefits of LE-Audio: LC3 is required.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #46,841 of 62,460
Hope this time it gets LDAC support, though its highly unlikely. And a bit better midbass.

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #46,842 of 62,460
Realized that the Beyerdynamic Free Byrds aren't available for purchase in my area, and I'm kinda bitter now.
I looked at both their website and Amazon.de and they won't ship to Sweden (yet, at least), a bit of a bummer.

Was planning on buying them next week, but I think I'll try to be happy with my Soundcore Liberty 3 Pros for awhile instead. Which to be fair, I really am except for the battery life on LDAC and the aesthetics of the earbuds themselves. But that battery life is very annoying.

Was thinking of the Linkbuds S or the 1more Evo then, but... I don't think I feel like they're upgrades enough.

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #46,843 of 62,460
don’t see any reason to put LC3Plus in a Bluetooth device today but I’m coming from the engineering side.
Interesting you say this. Win11 (future state) and android 13 beta will have LC3 baked in.

TWS or Headsets only offer mono audio if using a mic, unless some combination of RF & Bluetooth is used by manufacturer that allows two way stereo to work. That combination generally only works on PC or Mac, (requires USB dongle or hub) leaving the smartphone/device audience left out with horribly sounding calls (voip/etc).

If LE audio offers better battery's for those Bluetooth devices, less charging is a win

If that process can be consolidated into a single Bluetooth codecs (allowing usage in W11/android/iOS) I see a large market.

Personally waiting for a TWS that offer low latency (lower then aptx-ll, my current driver). If I get better battery and better sound that's icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #46,845 of 62,460
Pixel buds pro.

OXbUs7s.jpg

Very comfortable and doesn't protrude much out of the ears. Treble and mids are present, could be a tad piercing at times. Heavy mid bass, the 11mm drivers you can hear as much as you can feel. Soundstage is pretty enclosed and not very spacious. Volume control can be done by swiping on the earbuds which works well (down to increase volume, up to decrease). There seems to be no way to turn off the adaptive ANC, long pressing on the earbuds just switches between adaptive ANC and transparency mode. Transparency mode sounds quite unnatural. Taking either bud out of the ears will stop playback, which is quite irritating for me. Putting any of the earbuds in the ear will resume playback. I hope the in ear detection function can be turned off. Unfortunately the pixel buds app keep crashing, so there's no way to find out what I can do with the app.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back