Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 29, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #46,396 of 62,437
I had an issue early on whereas I had one bud not connect when I took it out. I trained myself to move them both with my thumb to make sure they would both wake up. I don't seem to have that issue anymore. Did you try a factory reset? Reset, repair, reboot. You know the drill. Guessing you have.
Yeah, I did reset them. Even deleted and installed the app again and set them up like they were new. Newest firmware, too. I will wait some more and see how it develops...

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #46,397 of 62,437
Slightly OT but kinda interesting (especially those mindful of ear care):

This is NOT an audio device, though I wonder how much more space it would've taken to implement that and allow it to still be used for that purpose when not using the dehumidifying process but then there's the size...

Apparently the start-up is backed by Samsung.

I saw those on KS. No mention if they do LDAC or APT-X HD. :dt880smile:

Jun 29, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #46,398 of 62,437
I just updated the app and it was enabled by default.
Weird I just went in this morning and it switched to dark mode. Guess I just needed to give it some time :)

Jun 29, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #46,399 of 62,437
Nura is legit. I've used/had their tech many times. IMO, they only keep getting better. But yes, smaller company. Bragi was awesome, but sold their hardware to some Chinese company who did nothing with it. Now they just license their software to companies like Skullcandy and Klipsch. Crazybaby was awful. Awful. Awful. That said, they were onto something but effed it all up.

We’ll see where lossless audio goes in this format. Ultimately it’s Apple and Qualcomm that are really going to move the segment forward in this regard, almost everyone else just uses off the shelf parts to make it work.

That said I’m pretty surprised that Bluetooth supports lossless

Jun 29, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #46,401 of 62,437
We’ll see where lossless audio goes in this format. Ultimately it’s Apple and Qualcomm that are really going to move the segment forward in this regard, almost everyone else just uses off the shelf parts to make it work.

That said I’m pretty surprised that Bluetooth supports lossless
Sadly, I only use my iPhone for music. Apple ecosystem here. Drank the Kool Aid years ago. Codecs never really affect me. I don't even know if my over-used ears would hear much of a difference.

Jun 29, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #46,402 of 62,437
OK, so a day in using the Linkbuds S and I am loving the default signature! The only TWS I own I might prefer more is the Galaxy Buds Pro but not sure. I will do some A/B testing and come back with a final verdict.

This TWS bucks Sony's trend over the past few years hearkening back to a day when Sony was more balanced in their tuning and I love it. But anyone who has only heard their latest products will think this IEM is of lower sound quality due to the change in signature.

These have set the new standard for comfort for me. They are simply perfect in this regard. But I will admit I switched to the Sony large hybrid tips versus 1 medium and one extra large. The extra large really stuffs my one ear and the medium is almost loose in the other so the large size works better. To bad they didn't add the large size to their fit kit.

Now for things I am not as happy with...

I really wish Sony would get off their @$$ and allow people to customize their controls. It's ridiculous that I only get 2 controls out of 4 on the left ear. One tweak is all it would take and they need to fix this! Not quite a deal breaker but darn close!

The battery life is right on the cusp of being to low. If you use a combination of ANC or Ambient modes your lucky to get 5hrs using AAC. Now under normal day to day use this would be probably OK but right now I am on vacation (staycation...) So am listening to music pretty extensively so find the notice my battery is getting low very sad... It also kind of defeats the idea of not needing to remove the IEM because your never going to get much more than 3-5 hours of use out of these at a time.

I have had some challenges with the headphone registers some taps and have had instances with accidental taps. So hopefully Sony can tweak the tap system.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #46,403 of 62,437
What you're experiencing could be what happens on the WF-1000XM4 which is a gradual EQ drop in the upper mids and treble when you push the volume beyond a certain point.

Think it was established that it kicks in from about 80% volume upwards but you can dig back through the XM4 thread here for some testing that was done.*

Also check MRS's squig.link for a comparison of the frequency response of the XM4 at normal listening level vs full volume and you can see the massive drop off after 2k!

EDIT: *Page 71 of the XM4 impressions thread.
I am a low volume.listener rarely going over 50% volume so not sure this is what is happening in my case. But might test that out for fun :).

I like that the app tells me what listening level I am using regularly that a cool feature. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy music all my life.

Jun 29, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #46,404 of 62,437
Slightly OT but kinda interesting (especially those mindful of ear care):

This is NOT an audio device, though I wonder how much more space it would've taken to implement that and allow it to still be used for that purpose when not using the dehumidifying process but then there's the size...

Apparently the start-up is backed by Samsung.

IMHO, a completely unnecessary device. And misleading marketing. They claim cotton swabs are dangerous and link to a site that talks about cleaning your ears with cotton swabs. Yes, trying to clean your ears and to remove earwax with cotton swabs can indeed be dangerous - but that's off-topic with regards to their device. Whereas using cotton swabs to just gently absorb moisture from one's ears is usually a harmless procedure. I do it all the time.

Moreover, those who're afraid to use cotton swabs can still use a dirt cheap hand bulb ear syringe to gently blow some air into their canals and dry them up:
https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Suction-Syringe-Washing-Squeeze/dp/B08DFH4DWF/

Just my 2c.

Jun 29, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #46,405 of 62,437
So, I received my MTW3 today and ... so far I am not blown away or anything ... they are .. fine .. but do not shine in any department particularly better than other buds I have .. I think I prefer the sound of the AZ60, they also fit better ... can't complain about the ANC, but Bose and XM4 are just ahead .. fit is ok, those tiny wings do diddlysquat IMHO, I would not go run with them ,.. and on a 1h walk just now, out in nature with NO other signals, I had 2 tiny connection drop outs ... that's not good for a 'flag ship' device ...
Well, I will give it a few more days ... maybe my ears are tired and I hear something very else tomorrow .. or I create that Sennheiser account and do that Sound Check and then everything changes .. who knows ...

Jun 29, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #46,406 of 62,437
This one goes to 11. Moondrop S8 on the Shure TW2 Gen 2 adapters. Always wanted to try this dish. Delicious!

Attachments

• C9C6286D-76C4-4970-99EF-7920818791FB.jpeg
    C9C6286D-76C4-4970-99EF-7920818791FB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 30, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #46,407 of 62,437
On the L3P, neither AAC nor LDAC are entirely clear of dropouts. AAC has a tendency to have an aliasing/stretching artifact if my hands are around the phone's Bluetooth modem. LDAC tends to last for 10 minutes or so but has more blatant cutouts. In both codecs putting my Note 9 in my right pocket (modem facing down and rear) has a tendency to induce dropouts in busy areas. I'm not sure how it performs on other devices but it is somewhat disappointing and overall a bit below average for connectivity.

I am a low volume.listener rarely going over 50% volume so not sure this is what is happening in my case. But might test that out for fun :).

I like that the app tells me what listening level I am using regularly that a cool feature. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy music all my life.
Have you tried fiddling with the sample rate and bit depth? Somebody mentioned that changing these to lower settings than 96kHz/32bit changes the tuning on the Liberty 3 Pro but when I tried this on my L3P, the audio output just went silent until they were re-connected defaulting at 96k/32.

Jun 30, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #46,408 of 62,437
Looking for a stem (buds don't fit) TWS with ANC about the £50 mark, they will be used casually for the gym, going for walks, light commuting etc. Not too fussed about codec as I have the FiiO UTWS5 I pair with a Shanling M3X for wireless listening around the house but was looking for something I could use whilst outdoors. I'd prefer to have a wireless charging case but finding that hard at this price point.

The 3 on my shortlist at the moment are......

Soundcore Life P3 - £55
Soundpeats Air3 Pro - £41.99
Earfun Air Pro 2 - £49.99

Any suggestions / recommendations appreciated.

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #46,410 of 62,437
You can also take a look at the 1More Comfobuds Pro.
I have had them for a while now and can't complain.
was literally just reading @regancipher review of them right now. They look a good option also, although the stem looks a little long, would they fit small ears ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back