Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 11, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #46,112 of 62,789
So I left my Liberty Pros in the back seat pocket of the plane yesterday and need a new pair. I honestly don’t care that much about sound quality since I have my Olinas and full size rig for that. My biggest use case is sleeping, and having one bud in one side during work. I’ve had airpod pros and didn’t love the fit, they fell out of my ears too easily. Also had XM3s in the past and liked them a lot but they were tad big and unwieldy.

Any suggestions on what I should get? Thanks!

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #46,113 of 62,789
So I left my Liberty Pros in the back seat pocket of the plane yesterday and need a new pair. I honestly don’t care that much about sound quality since I have my Olinas and full size rig for that. My biggest use case is sleeping, and having one bud in one side during work. I’ve had airpod pros and didn’t love the fit, they fell out of my ears too easily. Also had XM3s in the past and liked them a lot but they were tad big and unwieldy.

Any suggestions on what I should get? Thanks!
The new Sony Linkbuds S (the one with the silicone tips) are excellent for sleeping with. They are very small and side sleeping with them is extremely comfortable. I've fallen asleep with them for 2 nights in a row since getting them and waking up without any sore spots in my ears.

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #46,114 of 62,789
Ok so I've discovered the issue with the Linkbuds S sound turning to mono and touchpad not working is due to the wear sensor. The sensor sometimes doesn't detect the earbud is being worn, so the sound turns to mono as if only one bud is in use and the touchpad on the side which the sensor fails to detect will not work. A simple fix is to take the affected earbud out and cover it with a finger and put it back into the ear and it will work again.

I've also EQ as below to bring up the treble and mid bass to give more "meat" to the mids.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220612-114453_Headphones.jpg
    Screenshot_20220612-114453_Headphones.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
Jun 12, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #46,115 of 62,789
Ok so I've discovered the issue with the Linkbuds S sound turning to mono and touchpad not working is due to the wear sensor. The sensor sometimes doesn't detect the earbud is being worn, so the sound turns to mono as if only one bud is in use and the touchpad on the side which the sensor fails to detect will not work. A simple fix is to take the affected earbud out and cover it with a finger and put it back into the ear and it will work again.

I've also EQ as below to bring up the treble and mid bass to give more "meat" to the mids.
Does that mean it's not an issue that can be fixed with patches?....because that seems like it would get annoying over time

Jun 12, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #46,116 of 62,789
The Linkbuds S are intriguing for me. I hope they go on sale soon. At $300 CAD they are just about to rich for my blood.

For now I have been using the GBuds Pro the past couple days and have been enjoying them.

How are the Linkbuds S for sound especially in the mids and treble area. I had the XM3 and found the treble in particular to soft and the over all signature a bit to dark and everything I read suggested the XM4 was even darker. So hoping the S are more like older Sony signatures.

Jun 12, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #46,118 of 62,789
The Linkbuds S are intriguing for me. I hope they go on sale soon. At $300 CAD they are just about to rich for my blood.

For now I have been using the GBuds Pro the past couple days and have been enjoying them.

How are the Linkbuds S for sound especially in the mids and treble area. I had the XM3 and found the treble in particular to soft and the over all signature a bit to dark and everything I read suggested the XM4 was even darker. So hoping the S are more like older Sony signatures.
They aren't exactly Harman curve, I'd say it's somewhere between xm3 and xm4. You can use the app to EQ the buds to your liking.

Jun 12, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #46,119 of 62,789
I think it can be fixed by a firmware update. It seems like a software issue rather than a hardware one, as covering the sensor and uncovering it makes it work again.
I sincerely hope you're right....

Jun 12, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #46,121 of 62,789
Over BT I add some treble at 3k and 9k to the CRA. I do think the stock tips are not the right choice. I reduce bass a smidge. Thinking less bass and easily sibilant is probably not the best fit.

They may need some time to cook and for the right tips to be found.

@Juturna, cny change with high power mode vs normal on the BTX?
I've tried everything but I just can't make the CRA sound good. I do wonder what I'm doing wrong.... It's not like I don't own around 100 sets of TWS/IEM's so I'd have expected to have eeked something out by now. I've tried tips to constrain the trebles, I've tried Wavelet. I've even tried going cold turkey from music for a while and going back to them. Maybe they just aren't for me. I bought two CCA sets at the same time - CRA and NRA - and have just confined both to the bottom of my iem basket. Even at that price far better tuned options IMO

Jun 12, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #46,122 of 62,789
Jun 12, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #46,124 of 62,789
I think....I've been reading this thread for over an hour now and scouring the whole of head-fi for a bit longer looking for the best IEMs for myself :sob:. I don't think I've been more confused about a headphone market in my life LOL. I recently have been convinced to bite the bullet on the TWS route to upgrade over my Soundcore Q20, which to be honest? Sounds terrible. I'm really looking for a more neutral sound but I wouldn't mind something more lively or musical if it didn't sound muffled or bloated. I thought increasing my budget up to $300 would solve the issue but it seems to have made it worse @___@. The WM4, Momentum, MW07, and others....I just can't seem to find something that seems worth taking a dip. Don't really care about features really...as long as its closed and doesn't hurt my ears (obviously hard to gauge) then I'm good. This headphone market seems rough....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back