Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 14, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #46,141 of 63,222
Been using the FiiO UTSW3 and, while the sound was generally okay (a bit much noise floor depending on model), I found the fit just didn't work well for me, and the mics weren't great. Just upped to Shure Aonic TW2 adapters and love the fit and feel - but trying to optimize for the IEMs I normally use here, which are:

Campfire Audio Andromeda (2019)
Campfire Audio Mammoth
Campfire Audio Honeydew
Shure SE215 (old pair)

Obviously for the SE215 I know which model to select, but I'm definitely hearing some not-great things done to the Andromeda sound that I like when selecting a model from the ShurePlus Play app. Ideally I'd love to just have a control to optimize for impedance and leave any other changes to the EQ. In the mean time, can anyone recommend which of the Play app models might be the best fit for the Andromeda?
You may want to try the Shanling MW200. I am using two sets, one with MMCX another with 2pin...
Had nobody complain about the microphones and the MW200 supports LDAC.

Jun 14, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #46,143 of 63,222
I got the Linkbuds S based on a recommendation in this thread the other day. Been using them all day and I really love them so far. Leaps and bounds better than the AirPods Pro, almost as good ANC and far superior sound and comfort/fit. Better sound then I remember the XM3s had but have not heard XM4s. These things are so small and light you barely feel them at all. I can actually do a little side sleeping with these which is unheard of. You can’t crank your head down, but with a softer pillow that’s not too elevated, it’s perfectly suitable. Very happy with these and will be keeping them. Solid buy

Jun 14, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #46,144 of 63,222
Been using the FiiO UTSW3 and, while the sound was generally okay (a bit much noise floor depending on model), I found the fit just didn't work well for me, and the mics weren't great. Just upped to Shure Aonic TW2 adapters and love the fit and feel - but trying to optimize for the IEMs I normally use here, which are:

Campfire Audio Andromeda (2019)
Campfire Audio Mammoth
Campfire Audio Honeydew
Shure SE215 (old pair)

Obviously for the SE215 I know which model to select, but I'm definitely hearing some not-great things done to the Andromeda sound that I like when selecting a model from the ShurePlus Play app. Ideally I'd love to just have a control to optimize for impedance and leave any other changes to the EQ. In the mean time, can anyone recommend which of the Play app models might be the best fit for the Andromeda?
Heard back from Shure support on this:

The only difference between model settings in the Play app is the output level of the TW2 amplifiers, which are calibrated according to the sensitivity of Shure earphone models so the sound levels don't exceed 100 dB SPL. I would not expect this to change anything about the audio quality, tonally or otherwise, but I'll see if any colleagues here who have the TW2 adapters can further evaluate that.

So if we're just looking at the level of the amplifiers, then I assume we'll want to find the model that is closest to the one being used in terms of sensitivity in dB SPL/MW and in impedance. For reference for anyone else using the Shure TW2, I've gathered that information about all the available model selections in the ShurePlus Play app. All figures at 1 KHz:

SE215 - 107 dB SPL/MW; 17 Ω
SE315 - 116 dB SPL/MW; 27 Ω
SE425 - 109 dB SPL/MW; 22 Ω
SE535 - 119 dB SPL/MW; 36 Ω
SE846 - 114 dB SPL/MW; 9 Ω
Aonic 3 - 108 dB SPL/MW; 26 Ω
Aonic 4 - 106 dB SPL/MW; 7 Ω
Aonic 5 - 119 dB SPL/MW; 36 Ω

The Campfire Audio Andromedas I have are 112.8 dB SPL/MW and 12.8 Ω; as such I've found the SE846 and SE425 provide matches that seem to "fit" best there.

The Campfire Audio Mammoths are 94 dB SPL/MW and 8.1 Ω - I'm also using SE846 there. Would anyone recommend different?

The Campfire Audio Honeydews are 94 dB SPL/MW and 17.44 Ω - again, any recommendations?

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #46,145 of 63,222
Actually it seems to me that the problem with the L3P not remembering ANC settings is mainly due to the wear detection. My ear fins have been loosening up and thus they don't always get detected as being worn. That's one thing I have found frustrating with detachable ear fins/hooks in many TWS is that they loosen up easy and often I find it better to wear one that doesn't have the fins.

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #46,146 of 63,222
I got the Linkbuds S based on a recommendation in this thread the other day. Been using them all day and I really love them so far. Leaps and bounds better than the AirPods Pro, almost as good ANC and far superior sound and comfort/fit. Better sound then I remember the XM3s had but have not heard XM4s. These things are so small and light you barely feel them at all. I can actually do a little side sleeping with these which is unheard of. You can’t crank your head down, but with a softer pillow that’s not too elevated, it’s perfectly suitable. Very happy with these and will be keeping them. Solid buy
Try this pillow: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0778ZJ76B/

It lets me sleep comfortably on the side with tws on. You just have to keep your ears pointed to the holes. It's very comfortable memory foam and high quality even if expensive. It has been great for me last couple years and should last for years more (I don't toss and turn all night to destroy the pillow lol). I would get the standard because I heard the soft is too soft. Used to be anyways when I bought it.

Jun 15, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #46,147 of 63,222
What about battery duration?

Jun 15, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #46,148 of 63,222
Actually it seems to me that the problem with the L3P not remembering ANC settings is mainly due to the wear detection. My ear fins have been loosening up and thus they don't always get detected as being worn. That's one thing I have found frustrating with detachable ear fins/hooks in many TWS is that they loosen up easy and often I find it better to wear one that doesn't have the fins.
Totally agree on the ear fins loosening up on the L3P and so for me losing the fit. I used them for 4+ months daily and they now sit unused because of it and none of my collection of tips fit me+case+worn detection. I’ve moved onto the 1More Evo because of that…which have no ear fins and are a lot smaller.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #46,149 of 63,222
I tried the B&O EX today for the first time on my lunch break, went into a Hi-Fi shop here where I live.
I really liked them, they impressed me on my first listen unlike the MTW3's that I felt were unremarkable to me on a similar short listen.

However I don't think they're $400-remarkable, I went back to my Galaxy Buds Pro's right after and didn't necessarily even think they sounded worse in comparison, on the contrary I think they sounded better in some regards, and I paid $50 for mine, so for me they're a... I would want them, and if money wasn't an issue for me I'd get them, easy. I actually like their EQ wheel-thingie, even though I'd prefer a full 10+ band EQ I think this is way more intuitive and changes the sound more to your preference than just a 3-band EQ like Sennheiser has for an example.

Jun 15, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #46,150 of 63,222
I think for my next TWS, I'm currently looking mostly around the $150-200 segment, and I'm currently weighing my options but right now it's looking like

Final ZE3000
1more Evo
Lypertek Z5
Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro

Are the top options I'm currently considering first and foremost... We'll see where I land, they all seem pretty different from one another.

Jun 15, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #46,151 of 63,222
I tried the B&O EX today for the first time on my lunch break, went into a Hi-Fi shop here where I live.
I really liked them, they impressed me on my first listen unlike the MTW3's that I felt were unremarkable to me on a similar short listen.

However I don't think they're $400-remarkable, I went back to my Galaxy Buds Pro's right after and didn't necessarily even think they sounded worse in comparison, on the contrary I think they sounded better in some regards, and I paid $50 for mine, so for me they're a... I would want them, and if money wasn't an issue for me I'd get them, easy. I actually like their EQ wheel-thingie, even though I'd prefer a full 10+ band EQ I think this is way more intuitive and changes the sound more to your preference than just a 3-band EQ like Sennheiser has for an example.
Glad upu like the buds pro. I've had mine a year and a half. For a couple months they were my only and I felt like I was missing something. I have the xm4 and the Noble Fokus Pro. I try ro go back to buds pro forensic, and they are just lacking, for me. I use them for video, gaming, and podcasts, but switch to the Noble or Sony whenever I'm looking to listen to music. I carry two separate TWS at all times.

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #46,152 of 63,222
Glad upu like the buds pro. I've had mine a year and a half. For a couple months they were my only and I felt like I was missing something. I have the xm4 and the Noble Fokus Pro. I try ro go back to buds pro forensic, and they are just lacking, for me. I use them for video, gaming, and podcasts, but switch to the Noble or Sony whenever I'm looking to listen to music. I carry two separate TWS at all times.
Yeah, each to their own. I would probably love the Fokus Pro more, but haven't had a chance to try them and don't think I ever will.
But I found the XM4's to be way less enjoyable than the Galaxy Buds Pro, no matter how much tinkering I did with the EQ or the different eartips I tried I couldn't really find any EQ that made them sound good to me. The ANC was better though, I can give them that.

The Galaxy Buds Pros are probably the only TWS earbuds I've tried so far that I don't even feel the need to EQ whatsoever. Sure they rarely blow me away, but music sounds the way I expect it to, no more and no less.
But at the same time I always want more, or different... which is why I'm still looking at other buds. But in reality the Galaxy Buds Pro's are probably the best all-round TWSs i've tried (and I've tried plenty).

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #46,153 of 63,222
Lots of open stuff coming out lately. The BOSE, Linkbuds, Oladance, Nearphones, ARC, Acreo openbuds, etc. Not quite sure they are worth the price tag but I did want a wireless open style. So, I grabbed a pair of Smabat M Pro for $25 to put on my Hiby WU1. Open box, good price and looked pretty much like new so good on that front. Also, after reading up they sounded right for BT as far as the tuning. So far quite good. They have some sub bass and with foams quite fine for bass amount and reach and pretty rich. better than I thought. Mids a bit sensitive to EQ with buds so they move up and back more than an in ear but you do get a more open sound with buds. Good part is they don't need little bass added really so less chance to push the mids back. Still a bit bright up top even after an BT high cut. Crisp detailed and airy but maybe some presets can be a little harsh but again we are on the other end from the consumer smooth TWS sound and there is no need to liven up the highs here. I doubt any of the open offerings would sound as good nor can they convert to wired if needed. Also $100 total is cheaper than most of the other options as well.:)

They also remind me of an old minidisc player I used to have...
:)
This is kinda how I slipped into the TWS things, putting my Rose Masya on the first ... was it BT20 dongles? don't recall ... possibly posted images a few thousand pages ago :)

Jun 15, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #46,154 of 63,222
On another note, I purchased the Amp13 (Nutube) amp card for my DX300. It arrived today as estimated. The really cool part is that when I opened up the (delivery) box, not only was the Amp13 package there but there was also a free gift from @Audio46 (thank you so much, that was very thoughtful):

20220615_154529.jpg

Jun 15, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #46,155 of 63,222
“Leaps and bounds better than the AirPods Pro, almost as good ANC and far superior sound and comfort/fit.”

Not a chance, none of the TWS headphones are leaps and bound better than each other.. Probably just has a signature that YOUR brain, head, ear canal find more pleasant….
These sweeping statements are confusing the new comers.. They wonder why heaven itself doesn’t call down, while listening to the (vastly superior) Sony’s…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back