Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 15, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #46,156 of 63,219
I’ve been working my way through all kinds of gear the last two weeks. Here are the high and the low lights:
Galaxy Buds Pro - a waste of time for the iPhone user. I like updating my firmware whenever possible and doing gymnastics to arrange to borrow an android phone is the worst possible use of my time

MTW3 - sooo improved but the sound signature doesn’t thrill me.

1more Evo - great sound until you compare it to the competition in its price bracket. At $125 it would rule them all. It also seemed kind of hit or miss on connectivity.

Oladance Open Ear - odd and underwhelming. Never fit right so I’m not sure I got the sound that they wanted for me

Philips Fidelio T1 - returned twice. I had the thrill of hearing them properly for five minutes on the first pair. I loved the signature. But I took them off my ears to upsize the tips and when I put them back in my ear holes the right side did its touch click sound about 5 times. Then I put in the left side, pressed play on my music and I only got the left side. Tried again and again. Tried re pairing. Sent them back as damaged and ordered another pair. Same exact issue. Now there are many reviews of these out there and nobody mentions anything like this. What am I doing wrong?

The Keepers? The Linkbuds twins. The first one is a perfect, ambient, out in public, personal Muzak device. The S version seems to be a little wonder. I’ve only had the twins for about 4 hours and I haven’t even updated them yet, much less played with all the features.

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #46,157 of 63,219
I’ve been working my way through all kinds of gear the last two weeks. Here are the high and the low lights:
Galaxy Buds Pro - a waste of time for the iPhone user. I like updating my firmware whenever possible and doing gymnastics to arrange to borrow an android phone is the worst possible use of my time

MTW3 - sooo improved but the sound signature doesn’t thrill me.

1more Evo - great sound until you compare it to the competition in its price bracket. At $125 it would rule them all. It also seemed kind of hit or miss on connectivity.

Oladance Open Ear - odd and underwhelming. Never fit right so I’m not sure I got the sound that they wanted for me

Philips Fidelio T1 - returned twice. I had the thrill of hearing them properly for five minutes on the first pair. I loved the signature. But I took them off my ears to upsize the tips and when I put them back in my ear holes the right side did its touch click sound about 5 times. Then I put in the left side, pressed play on my music and I only got the left side. Tried again and again. Tried re pairing. Sent them back as damaged and ordered another pair. Same exact issue. Now there are many reviews of these out there and nobody mentions anything like this. What am I doing wrong?

The Keepers? The Linkbuds twins. The first one is a perfect, ambient, out in public, personal Muzak device. The S version seems to be a little wonder. I’ve only had the twins for about 4 hours and I haven’t even updated them yet, much less played with all the features.
I just bought the Linkbuds S after hearing so many good comments - can you comment as to how the transparency is with wind noise? I'm hoping to use them a bit on a bike, but realize the regular Linkbuds may be a better buy for ambient immersion (though I crave bass, so I'm not sure if I'd enjoy their musical capabilities so much as their call capabilities)

Thank you!

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #46,158 of 63,219
“Leaps and bounds better than the AirPods Pro, almost as good ANC and far superior sound and comfort/fit.”

Not a chance, none of the TWS headphones are leaps and bound better than each other.. Probably just has a signature that YOUR brain, head, ear canal find more pleasant….
These sweeping statements are confusing the new comers.. They wonder why heaven itself doesn’t call down, while listening to the (vastly superior) Sony’s…
Looks like the headfi review language police are out in full force today. You must not have been around very long, this is how we talk about products. I’m well aware of the margins between sets. A well amped HE-6se v2 is 90% of a Susvara. The whole hobby is in the 10%.

And no crap sherlock, these are my opinions about them on my head, ear canal and brain. We don’t need to preface that before writing impressions every single time.

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #46,159 of 63,219
I just bought the Linkbuds S after hearing so many good comments - can you comment as to how the transparency is with wind noise? I'm hoping to use them a bit on a bike, but realize the regular Linkbuds may be a better buy for ambient immersion (though I crave bass, so I'm not sure if I'd enjoy their musical capabilities so much as their call capabilities)

Thank you!
I put them in my dog’s ears and let him stick his head out the car window on the freeway. They did not stick in his ears as long as I would have liked and his report was pretty unreliable, so I’m going to have to report back to you this weekend (after Amazon delivers the new pair tomorrow), after some bicycling.
All joking aside I haven’t tested that yet, but I’ll let you know after I’ve had the opportunity this weekend!

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #46,160 of 63,219
Looks like the headfi review language police are out in full force today. You must not have been around very long, this is how we talk about products. I’m well aware of the margins between sets. A well amped HE-6se v2 is 90% of a Susvara. The whole hobby is in the 10%.

And no crap sherlock, these are my opinions about them on my head, ear canal and brain. We don’t need to preface that before writing impressions every single time.
Didn’t mean any offense…
I’ve been buying headphones (too many) since the original Sony MDR-V6 and first portable CD players, anyone remember those?
The MDR-V6 would complete well even today….
Keep posting, we all are learning!!!!

Jun 16, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #46,161 of 63,219
We have the Nearphones listed pretty quick on the JVC US site. $79.99 is cheaper than japan and we finally get a view of the back of them thanks to the 360 viewer. Very interesting dual output it seems which seems better to me than all these one opening models...
1655406930106.png

These, like some others, promise a rich sound but these my actually deliver on a more satisfying bass output. JVC promises powerful sound and low leakage. Might still put my money on the Cleer Arc but those are $130 vs. $80.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #46,162 of 63,219
Anyone else want one of these?
1655408732446.png

With some good chips, amps, and quality drivers like the ones in the EPH100 or FXH30 or Rockets. Some quality micro dynamic drivers and some quality tuning. Put it in a nice ergo shell maybe even some pretty colors. Maybe a $150 non ANC version and a $200 ANC version which might be a bit bigger. Tons of $25 to $50 ones some of which are quite cool. Might be nice to take this design and make a top performer out of it.

Jun 16, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #46,163 of 63,219
Didn’t mean any offense…
I’ve been buying headphones (too many) since the original Sony MDR-V6 and first portable CD players, anyone remember those?
The MDR-V6 would complete well even today….
Keep posting, we all are learning!!!!

You got wrecked, walk away.

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #46,164 of 63,219
Anyone else want one of these?
1655408732446.png
With some good chips, amps, and quality drivers like the ones in the EPH100 or FXH30 or Rockets. Some quality micro dynamic drivers and some quality tuning. Put it in a nice ergo shell maybe even some pretty colors. Maybe a $150 non ANC version and a $200 ANC version which might be a bit bigger. Tons of $25 to $50 ones some of which are quite cool. Might be nice to take this design and make a top performer out of it.
If those dual drivers are the same size, it is IMO pointless, Soundpeats have tried that a few times.

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #46,165 of 63,219
If those dual drivers are the same size, it is IMO pointless, Soundpeats have tried that a few times.
Pointless? I'm sure all your speakers only have one driver? Just because they aren't good ones doesn't all of a sudden mean the woofer/tweeter set up is pointless. Should still be the most used configuration in audio most likely. I said do it right. I did not say I wanted another cheap poorly done one like Soundpeats and others. I thought we as consumer should demand more and better. :) Sony ANC can't be real good cause Soundpeats tried it and it wasn't very good. Same logic if Sony made a dual driver. Pointless? They couldn't do better. Besides who said that they had to be the same size or same construction have the same diaphragm coatings or materials? Sony could do a nice ceramic tweeter if they wanted to go along with an improved version of the new 5mm in the Linkbud S. They already do small dynamic tweeters actually:
1655414959833.png

Why not? Small is good. Keeping all dynamic is a good idea for cohesion. Some could say pointless but I say potential. :)

Also, looks like Yamaha might have a sports model coming...
1655415500235.png

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #46,166 of 63,219
No, they have at least 2 drivers sometimes 3 but they are different sizes and for good reason and if you do not get why then I am not going to explain it to you or your buddy

The other way is a single dynamic full range driver but adding 2 the same does nothing to change the sound signature.

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #46,167 of 63,219
Yeah, KNZ has put out several wired versions of this. I have two (one was a KS gaming specific unit that they shipped and ran away from with no support), and they were both total rubbish with a thin and shrill sound signature. While I haven't heard the TWS version, I wouldn't recommend them.

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #46,168 of 63,219
Just stole my son's Soundcore Life Note 3 for an hour or two. Bought them for him at Xmas on sale for around $80.

They actually sounded better than any of the Jabra's I have tried (Elite 3 and 7) and had better ANC than the 7. Not all the bells and whistles but a very nice comfy TWS. I like them more than the Sony WF-C500 too. Soundcore puts out some really decent stuff. Makes me tempted to try the Liberty 3 Pro.

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #46,169 of 63,219
Just stole my son's Soundcore Life Note 3 for an hour or two. Bought them for him at Xmas on sale for around $80.

They actually sounded better than any of the Jabra's I have tried (Elite 3 and 7) and had better ANC than the 7. Not all the bells and whistles but a very nice comfy TWS. I like them more than the Sony WF-C500 too. Soundcore puts out some really decent stuff. Makes me tempted to try the Liberty 3 Pro.
I don't have any of their TWS (a friend does and loves them), but I have a pair of their BT speakers, and they sound really nice (for what they are). They are really the only BT speakers that have caught my attention that could possibly replace my Jawbone Big Jambox from days gone by (which is STILL fantastic for a small BT speaker): cost also factored in. If that is any indication, then I am sure they make some pretty good TWS also?!

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #46,170 of 63,219
You got wrecked, walk away.
I have two closet’s full of headphones and been collecting for 30+ years…
Have the xm3’s, Senn M2’s, M&D 08, B&W PI7, Bose QC’s, Bose sound free Sport, Bose soundsports, LG Tones, JBL Tws, Soundcore TWS, xm4’s and about two dozen others.
Stax, TOTL Denons, TOTL Audio Technicas, TOTL Sony’s…etc…
I know my way around this hobby…..
I’ll say it again, well built, designed, and fabricated on a controlled production line are, for the most part, all good..
Stick with a reputable company and you won’t be disappointed..
Something destroying something else is just nonsense…. Take it from an Engineer…..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back