Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 10, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #46,096 of 62,402
I've gotten my CCA CRAs to use with my CCA BTX, finally.

I'm impressed for the price, but they required quite a lot of EQ:ing in Wavelet to be listenable to me. That treble really hurts my ears, I actually have had a hard time EQ:ing them to a point where it's not either a) too sibilant or b) treble reduced to a point where it loses the sparkle up top way too much.
I thought they were going to be waaay to heavy with the bass right away, but that wasn't too bad in my opinion, it was just the treble that bothered me, especially the lower parts of the treble frequencies. I wish the vocals were a bit more in front as well, but it wasn't as recessed as I was worried it would be.

What I do enjoy is the separation and sound stage, seems better than most TWS's I've used.
This actually surprises me. I have read some few others offering the same thoughts regarding the treble on the CRA, but for the most part most people that I have read their thoughts about on these think the treble is really well done for a budget set. The thing is that not only do I find them not harsh at all, but I actually EQ the quantity of treble up a bit. I begin to wonder at what frequency you are referring to that seems to be the major spike on these?

I AM older, so I have a hard time hearing too much over 12k (it is there, but at a much lower volume than is normal), but anything under that I can hear just fine (I am especially intolerant to the presence region). Also, what sort of music are you listening to that actually gets sibilant for you (I do know they don't really like low quality music very much IMO)? I listen to pretty much everything, but metal (and its forms) is my go-to listening "druthers".

Also, have you listened to them wired and directly from a DAP/source? Or, are you possibly not getting a good fit with them? It isn't a huge deal for me, I am just curious when I do see comments about the treble being harsh on these, and only then because I find them to be quite the opposite IMHO?!

On another subject, how do you find the CCA BTX to be? Have you listened to it with any other IEMs? Until you mentioned it, I had not heard they had a BT adapter.

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #46,097 of 62,402
Over BT I add some treble at 3k and 9k to the CRA. I do think the stock tips are not the right choice. I reduce bass a smidge. Thinking less bass and easily sibilant is probably not the best fit.

They may need some time to cook and for the right tips to be found.

@Juturna, cny change with high power mode vs normal on the BTX?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #46,098 of 62,402
Over BT I add some treble at 3k and 9k to the CRA. I do think the stock tips are not the right choice. I reduce bass a smidge. Thinking less bass and easily sibilant is probably not the best fit.

They may need some time to cook and for the right tips to be found.

@Juturna, cny change with high power mode vs normal on the BTX?
Yeah, they DO have some bass that's for sure! Normally I would also dial it down where the quantity is concerned, but I find with the CRA, that the bass, while boosted, is very controlled, linear, and non-fatiguing. Nor does it bleed over into the Mids (IMO). So, when I have a bass craving (thoughts of my younger bass-head days come to play every once in a while), I will throw these into my ears.

But you are probably right. They might need to just settle a bit, and tips are definitely a potential at play here. Though, IME I really like the stock tips (the ones on them from the factory fit me perfectly). I find these tips, and the IEMs in general to fit my ears just right.

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #46,099 of 62,402
This actually surprises me. I have read some few others offering the same thoughts regarding the treble on the CRA, but for the most part most people that I have read their thoughts about on these think the treble is really well done for a budget set. The thing is that not only do I find them not harsh at all, but I actually EQ the quantity of treble up a bit. I begin to wonder at what frequency you are referring to that seems to be the major spike on these?

I AM older, so I have a hard time hearing too much over 12k (it is there, but at a much lower volume than is normal), but anything under that I can hear just fine (I am especially intolerant to the presence region). Also, what sort of music are you listening to that actually gets sibilant for you (I do know they don't really like low quality music very much IMO)? I listen to pretty much everything, but metal (and its forms) is my go-to listening "druthers".

Also, have you listened to them wired and directly from a DAP/source? Or, are you possibly not getting a good fit with them? It isn't a huge deal for me, I am just curious when I do see comments about the treble being harsh on these, and only then because I find them to be quite the opposite IMHO?!

On another subject, how do you find the CCA BTX to be? Have you listened to it with any other IEMs? Until you mentioned it, I had not heard they had a BT adapter.
It could absolutely be several things, but I think it realized just now why I think it sounds too treble-heavy. I'm not 100 sure, but I think the earhooks themselves are fitted in a way that sort of "drags" or tilts the earbuds slightly out from the ear canal, it's like the loop that goes around your ear would need to be slightly longer. So it sits pretty decently, but it's not nestled as deep in the ear canal as they should be. I tried putting the earbuds in and letting the earhook just "hang" and I could see myself thinking that I would want to raise some parts of the treble if I EQ'd based on that.

Anyone else have any fit issues like that, is it a universal thing I would have to worry about if I get Fiio's or Shure TW2s because my ears are weird (?), or would this be dependent on the earbud style itself?

Also no, I just got the CCA BTX two weeks ago and the CCA CRAs yesterday, so i'm entirely new to the earhook TW adapter thingies. They seem good enough for what they are except the obvious fit issues that I'm not even sure can be attributed to the adapters themselves. Good sound, easy controls. Seems like people wouldn't recommend them over the KZ AZ09 Pro though, I bought them on a whim because I read that somebody said it would fit regular 2-pin IEMs without modding (which isn't correct), soooo.

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #46,100 of 62,402
It could absolutely be several things, but I think it realized just now why I think it sounds too treble-heavy. I'm not 100 sure, but I think the earhooks themselves are fitted in a way that sort of "drags" or tilts the earbuds slightly out from the ear canal, it's like the loop that goes around your ear would need to be slightly longer. So it sits pretty decently, but it's not nestled as deep in the ear canal as they should be. I tried putting the earbuds in and letting the earhook just "hang" and I could see myself thinking that I would want to raise some parts of the treble if I EQ'd based on that.
Ah. That could absolutely cause harsh sounding trebles. Sorry to hear your experience has not been good on these. Maybe you will have to stick with wired only on these?!

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #46,101 of 62,402

Anyone else have any fit issues like that, is it a universal thing I would have to worry about if I get Fiio's or Shure TW2s because my ears are weird (?), or would this be dependent on the earbud style itself?

Also no, I just got the CCA BTX two weeks ago and the CCA CRAs yesterday, so i'm entirely new to the earhook TW adapter thingies. They seem good enough for what they are except the obvious fit issues that I'm not even sure can be attributed to the adapters themselves. Good sound, easy controls. Seems like people wouldn't recommend them over the KZ AZ09 Pro though, I bought them on a whim because I read that somebody said it would fit regular 2-pin IEMs without modding (which isn't correct), soooo.

They don't particularly appeal to me that much. I think for the controls and the mics the proper placement would be just in front of the ear. Then a more Aurvana Air like guide could go behind the ear. Then a wire with the connector can come out of the module and move freely to fit.
1654875033260.png
1654875272311.png

Jun 10, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #46,103 of 62,402
Searched a bit on this thread to no avail and even googled this ... much of the information seems outdated.
Have been using the Sony linkbuds as they are the best for transparency while doing biking. Have used consistently for the last 3 months, one under rated element is the speak to chat feature in which I can pause the audio by just saying a word and the delay to restart is adjustable. Use this a lot when I am going to turn a corner as a lot of EV's in the area and just want to be super sure

Custom molded IEM's w/ Bluetooth capabilities? Does this currently exist? (IE: airpod pros, but with the perks of IEM's). Or should I look to an IEM + custom sleeve?

I've been doing a lot of cycling training and the pods feel like they're hanging by a thread at times around corners and have completely fallen off during HIIT rides.

Jun 10, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #46,104 of 62,402
Searched a bit on this thread to no avail and even googled this ... much of the information seems outdated.

Custom molded IEM's w/ Bluetooth capabilities? Does this currently exist? (IE: airpod pros, but with the perks of IEM's). Or should I look to an IEM + custom sleeve?

I've been doing a lot of cycling training and the pods feel like they're hanging by a thread at times around corners and have completely fallen off during HIIT rides.
Not sure why you referenced the Linkbud here (unless that is what you are after), but AFAIK, custom IEMs with BT don't exist in the commercial retail world. You might be able to find someone that can make them, but you might have an easier time of it getting custom IEMs and use a BT adapter like: Fiio UTWS5 BT Adatper or something like it (there are a bunch out there currently).

Jun 10, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #46,105 of 62,402

https://custom.ultimateears.com/pro...bd6tkZoJgRR3oYZStoIu4O3TxSOslPBRoCrdIQAvD_BwE

or maybe

https://custom.ultimateears.com/pro...RUkdrcpgYjyjjr1BM3fJyXCYpxm8PNRoCKJoQAvD_BwE?

There was another one but those might be somewhere to start 😄

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #46,106 of 62,402

Of course Gamesky is Gamesky. "I'm sure people will think you sound good on calls". Maybe call a couple people and report back what they say. Lazy and very stick to the outline churn it out kinda guy. Though still a bit useful and finds some things :). With a new brand he doesn't usually check the brand out well. Case in point the Lavabeans having the E11 for cheaper when he was reviewing the E10. Of course while this is a pretty cool design, not futuristic, you could check out Amazon and Acefast has a model for $4 cheaper that does low latency and has better battery life if you so choose. They also have or will have these T7...
1654959352724.png

https://acefast.com/catalog/audio/tws-headset-t7-unrivalled/
Seems it isn't out here in the US just yet. The T6 was first available on Amazon on May 22 and the T4 in late March so this might be worth looking out for. Even their T1 gets good impressions for the sound. Looks like a good size and shape and might be very good sound for around $80 - $99. Not sure about a stainless steel case :) maybe it has a silicone cover like the T6 model.
1654962392209.png

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #46,107 of 62,402
UE used to offer their custom IEMs with the Fostex TM2 true wireless adapter, but for some reason stopped. Back then a rep told me they were developing a native tws. Haven't heard anything since so maybe it's not happening. I used to have the Bragi Dash Pro Starkey Edition and those were custom molded TWS. They were awesome, but then Bragi sold off their tech and bowed out of the biz. Sad. Since then, no one has tried to do it again.

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #46,108 of 62,402

Maybe try the Airpod customizable ear clips by Decibullz? They will work with AirPods Pro with a small catch. Decibullz support page which addresses an issue of covering a wear sensor on AirPods Pro.

Ear clip before and after molding example
Decibullz_Airpod_Adapter_3__50364.1629753467.jpg

Fully molded to fit example
AirPod_Adapter_Lifestyle_Image_Update__72872.1629754417.jpg

Molding on a dummy ear example
Decibullz_Airpod_Adapter_5__37837.1629753561.jpg

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #46,109 of 62,402
I for one, would ask if custom fit for cycle training is a good idea? BC noise and heat build up. Maybe even heartbeat. I would think that is too much seal. Would think loosening or falling out is better addressed with an earhook model or some attachment for the APP.

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #46,110 of 62,402
Thank you very much!

Though I have said many good things about the MT, CA has really waffled with the updates of these over their lifetime. Sadly, when I first got them, they did not sound very good to me at all. They were VERY bass heavy, and a huge recess in the treble, but the ambient mode was top notch.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, deepening on your view) over time, the sound got much much better, but the ambient mode has suffered greatly. I think it was one of the last two FW updates that did it. They have been tweaking the sound throughout (yet not telling anyone that they had been). Ambient mode still sounds just as loud (the amount is volume adjustable), but now it is terribly digital sounding, and I have a hard time hearing things clearly.

All that being said, now that they seem to be done tweaking them, I am at least supremely happy with the sound and feel safe in recommending them to anyone. I simply don't use ambient mode as much as I used to. I have never had any of the issues that others have complained about. Except one time where I couldn't get one of them to connect without resetting them, they have been pretty flawless for me.

I think that as of last year, we have reached a plateau (at least for sound quality), that even though new stuff is coming out like mad, I would look into some of the older TWS in a heartbeat. Mainly because, while there are some outliers out there, most of the newer ones don't really sound THAT much better than some of the older ones. Features are another story altogether though. I think tech is improving pretty quickly with this segment. I am hoping that once the new codecs drop and are a standard, we can start moving forwards again with sound quality.
I ended up sending mine back to them because of the changes in sound from firmware updates. I was not a fan of them doing this at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back