Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 21, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #45,586 of 62,735
I'm still loving my MTW3, personally I think its a joke that you can't customize touch controls or having the music pause when enabling ambient mode on the EX. Especially since they cost much more than the MTW3.

I will be prob getting the IE600 + UTWS5 in the near future for when I want maximum portable sound quality anyways. As of now I mostly use the MTW3 when I actually want a great pair of TWS, which means stuff like fit, software features and ANC is very important.

Sennheiser will also prob give plenty of software updates to the MTW3 for future refinements/features, whilst I doubt the EX will see much attention to new software features.
I feel like B&O moves on from product to product very fast so they don't seem to give proper attention to their previous products.

May 21, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #45,587 of 62,735
@ maor26: I am using this dongle though it is 16/48 (24/96 new model ordered).

I500215582-4.jpg
Where did you buy it? Does tws microphone work through it?

May 21, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #45,588 of 62,735
I got it on Ebay UK from UK seller, Amazon have them now also (try and get from your country not China so AliExpress etc as of long shipping) and no MIC does not work AFAIR and I know for a fact media controls do not work but I will try again later.

May 21, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #45,589 of 62,735
Thanks!
My hopes are high, lots of people seem to really like the AZ60.

What mostly has been holding be back from buying any TWS for a long time has been the inability to listen to them before buying, and most shops here in Sweden don't allow TWS returns at all, so you are stuck with what you buy.
There are lots of reviews and people try to explain what they sound like which is hard and very subjective, and frequency response curves only says so much (and I don't know what I prefer anyway, just comparing stuff to a harman curve might not help me much in the end).
Sometimes people compare to other TWS which is a good data point (especially after having watched/read maaany reviews and forum comments) but most of the time doesn't directly help me as I havn't heard those other TWS either...

This is hard, I don't like buying things without knowing if it is something that I will like and enjoy using.

From what I've understood the sound is good (ofc not everyone likes the same thing) and that is of high importance, my list preferences goes something like this:
  • Good sound quality (very subjective) that doesn't need an insane amount of EQ tweaking before sounding decent.
  • Built-in EQ (that isn't too limited) so that multiple sources can be used easily while retaining the same experience.
  • Volume and playback controls on the buds.
  • No constant white noise, can be acceptable in transparency mode only.
  • ANC, doesn't have to be the best as long as it does something decent and more importantly doesn't change the sound signature a whole lot (my current set of TWS is horrible at this).
  • Transparency that is loud and clear enough to easily be able to hold a conversation (with music paused).
  • Multipoint for when switching between work laptop and phone.
  • In-ear sensor is convenient but not a must have.
  • Wireless charging isn't very important, we mainly use cables anyway, wireless results in heat and batteries don't like heat. I don't use TWS so much that I need to charge the case all the time anyway.
  • Low phantom battery drain (my current TWS has some, at least I have to charge the case more often than I should have to based on the little amount of time I'm using them)
My current TWS is a chi-fi set, Tronsmart Apollo Bold aren't very good, I'm sort-of certain that many of these areas are implemented better in the AZ60:
  • They have waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much sub-bass but if you EQ that down (in the source) an insane amount then they start to become decent, especially if high-mids and treble is boosted a bit (and then you switch source and have to do it all over again, if even possible).
  • The in-device presets destroy treble (sounds like it is resampled at a lower sample rate), this also occurs in ANC and transparency modes so I don't use those modes much, there is no in-device EQ available other than the presets.
  • ANC also destroys the sound signature by boosting the sub-bass even more while also reducing mids :frowning2:
  • There is white noise all the time (different amount in different modes).
  • And some phantom battery drain.
  • Fit isn't very good.
  • In-ear detection works quite well.
In short, I'm tired of them and want something much better while at the same time not repeating past buying mistakes, which is hard.
Best audio purchase recently has been the Soundcore Life Q30 (not a "premium" product but quite decent due to having EQ that responds well), default EQ is horrible, some presets are decent'ish (at least when compared to default), but they also change sound signature a lot when ANC is enabled (not very good ANC), I mostly use them without ANC.

Good post.

I agree with most. I also want an upgrade in sound but cannot try any new stuff out. None of my close friends are into higher end TWS. Some of them like IEMs or regular headphones. I’ve tried most.

I believe that before BTLE/LC3 I will not want to invest more than 250/300$ in TWS. And that’s already stretching it. I own the CA MT. I like the sound implementation, they respond well to EQ although I rarely use it. Transparency is meh, no ANC, battery is good enough. But of course I’d like better. I’ve tried a few that are out there like Sony XMs, B&O E3s, MTW2 but I guess none impressed me in order to cost 300$ or more. Sony’s are less but I don’t like the sound signature.

From what I’ve been reading and seeing, I’m sure I’d like the GT220 (lack of features) or the Fokus Pros (lack of features and too expensive) or the EX (too expensive) or the PI7 (terrible battery and too expensive). And now the A&K... but being more sensible I would definitely consider the AZ60 or the MTW3.

I’m torn between investing in better TWS now (smaller investment) or save and go for better IEMs (own the Rai Solo) and an adapter (bigger investment but better wired sound and still useful for mobile listening) and keep the MT (for the bike, beach or just practicality)

So it’s basically: keep the Rai Solo/THX Onyx, sell the MT, get MTW3 (spend 250$) or sell the Rai Solo, sell the MT, get Variations/DK-3001 Pro/ER4XR (keeping the Onyx), get MTW3 (spend 550$) or sell the Rai Solo, sell the MT, get Advar/Vulkan/ie600 (keeping the Onyx), get TW2 (spend 700$) or any other combination of the previous options, hehe, I know, undecided person. But that’s what I get on a contained budget and wanting the best sound... and evaluating too much. Budget is a decider, obviously. Just torn but continuing to enjoy music daily.

May 21, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #45,590 of 62,735
So I tried both while driving tonight… the EX were okay, they’re definitely better for music but the ANC is strictly so-so. The MTW3 has really damn good ANC. I even tried putting the top down and the MTW3 handled wind noise incredibly well — this is exactly the test that made me give up on the AZ60s. I feel like if the MTW3 had a better EQ setup, I could get them to really work for me for music… but as it stands, they’re at least fantastic for podcasts during my commute. Freeway driving, top down, I had the volume at maybe 30% and it was clear as a bell. Very impressive.

You were testing TWS, with or without ANC, while driving? Or while being driven?

May 21, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #45,592 of 62,735
Good post.

I agree with most. I also want an upgrade in sound but cannot try any new stuff out. None of my close friends are into higher end TWS. Some of them like IEMs or regular headphones. I’ve tried most.

I believe that before BTLE/LC3 I will not want to invest more than 250/300$ in TWS. And that’s already stretching it. I own the CA MT. I like the sound implementation, they respond well to EQ although I rarely use it. Transparency is meh, no ANC, battery is good enough. But of course I’d like better. I’ve tried a few that are out there like Sony XMs, B&O E3s, MTW2 but I guess none impressed me in order to cost 300$ or more. Sony’s are less but I don’t like the sound signature.

From what I’ve been reading and seeing, I’m sure I’d like the GT220 (lack of features) or the Fokus Pros (lack of features and too expensive) or the EX (too expensive) or the PI7 (terrible battery and too expensive). And now the A&K... but being more sensible I would definitely consider the AZ60 or the MTW3.

I’m torn between investing in better TWS now (smaller investment) or save and go for better IEMs (own the Rai Solo) and an adapter (bigger investment but better wired sound and still useful for mobile listening) and keep the MT (for the bike, beach or just practicality)

So it’s basically: keep the Rai Solo/THX Onyx, sell the MT, get MTW3 (spend 250$) or sell the Rai Solo, sell the MT, get Variations/DK-3001 Pro/ER4XR (keeping the Onyx), get MTW3 (spend 550$) or sell the Rai Solo, sell the MT, get Advar/Vulkan/ie600 (keeping the Onyx), get TW2 (spend 700$) or any other combination of the previous options, hehe, I know, undecided person. But that’s what I get on a contained budget and wanting the best sound... and evaluating too much. Budget is a decider, obviously. Just torn but continuing to enjoy music daily.
Knowing your very active lifestyle, I would probably go for some good IEMs and a BT adapter. This gives you the option to listen no matter where you are (out, or in home). Any of the newer planars are fantastic, from what I hear. I have the Timeless, but am trying to make the decision to get the Raptgo Hook-x or the Tinhifi P1 Max. If you are wanting any kind of noise cancellation, you won't want the Hook-X though, because they are open back (but I do hear they don't leak like you would think they do). The good news is that they are both around $200, and for another $100, you can have a good set for home, and some TWS (the UTWS5 has passthrough from what I hear) for out and about. I am also interested in the up-and-coming Vulkan from DUNU, but I will probably be waiting for a while to see some more talk about them.

Just my opinion but TWS won't last as long as IEMs will, so I would get a good set of TWS (as a backup/compliment) once you have your main set secured (since you already have a good set of TWS). This is only the way I would see it, and your thoughts may be the total opposite from mine.. :)

May 21, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #45,593 of 62,735
Personally I’d use TWS as a compliment to whatever IEMs you have at home. If you work out a lot, get excessive ear wax etc, I’d go for ones that are rated IP 57 or so like the EX is. That’s the motivating factor of me getting the EX despite just getting the A&K.

May 21, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #45,594 of 62,735
Personally I’d use TWS as a compliment to whatever IEMs you have at home. If you work out a lot, get excessive ear wax etc, I’d go for ones that are rated IP 57 or so like the EX is. That’s the motivating factor of me getting the EX despite just getting the A&K.
That was what I was getting at also, but I think he is wanting to upgrade his IEM also. So I thought, get the IEM and BT first, then get a set of pure TWS later as budget permits, that way he already has his IEM and the compliment for it (the IEM w/BT adapter)... :)

May 21, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #45,595 of 62,735
I'm trying to find a decent TWS earbud, (not IEM), because I need some buds for situational awareness.

I have considered: Samsung Galaxy Buds Live, SoundPEATS Air3, FIIL CC2, Sabbat x12 Ultra or Sabbat x12 Pro, etc.

I tried to find out what the difference is between the Sabbat x12 Pro vs Sabbat x12 Ultra, and couldn't find much. One article said the 'Pro' may not have Apt X? Anyone know the differences?

Any recommendations?
TIA

EDIT: I am probably not interested in any apple products because I use Android and Windows.

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #45,596 of 62,735
A New ANC Throne Appears?
22a085030267871917069227d7597378.png
2522c1ffc58ba7ed4cec95a391909d57.png

I am interested in both products. Especially since Live Free 2 includes LE Audio/LC3.

May 22, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #45,597 of 62,735
Alright, looking to snag a pair of wireless earbuds in the $150-200 range. Managed to not buy any new headphones for the past few years, and I feel out of the loop. Any suggestions?

May 22, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #45,598 of 62,735
A New ANC Throne Appears?
22a085030267871917069227d7597378.png2522c1ffc58ba7ed4cec95a391909d57.png

I am interested in both products. Especially since Live Free 2 includes LE Audio/LC3.

An interesting way to measure and impart ANC efficiency as a single number but it simply doesn’t match my real world use on planes, cars, walking by noisy roads etc etc.

I have used and own in real life Bose QC, APP and L3Pro…. And for sure the QC is by some distance the best followed by the APP and then some way behind the L3Pro.

May 22, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #45,599 of 62,735
Bose QC/XM4 are the best in my short time owning/using and most good reviewers, I know the Apple model gets a good name, but I do not own/like Apple products or the closed ecosystem so can only go by again good reviewers

That chart is BS IMO, the L3P ANC was near nonexistence for me, same for the NeoBuds Pro etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back