Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 9, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #45,181 of 62,437
For you LinkBuds owners, are they worth it? I have generally been in the crowd of people thinking that I don't want to hear the outside world when I listen to music. But lately I've been playing with the idea that it would be cool to be able to listen to music as if it came from speakers somewhere in the near vicinity, so you could have your own "soundtrack" while still navigating the world around you and being able to hear stuff that happens around you.

Is this possible with the Linkbuds or am I just hoping for way too much?
I use these for office, calls within office and car. When I walk at night I use them and listen to music and enjoy them as tlit feels it's coming out of the Middle of your head .

If I am going to gym and don't want to hear anything I use Technics AZ60

May 9, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #45,182 of 62,437
For you LinkBuds owners, are they worth it? I have generally been in the crowd of people thinking that I don't want to hear the outside world when I listen to music. But lately I've been playing with the idea that it would be cool to be able to listen to music as if it came from speakers somewhere in the near vicinity, so you could have your own "soundtrack" while still navigating the world around you and being able to hear stuff that happens around you.

Is this possible with the Linkbuds or am I just hoping for way too much?
This is pretty exactly how I perceive them .. adding a 'soundtrack' ... might very much depend on what style of music you want to play .. when I am with ppl I mainly use ambient. / meditation pling pling background music to calm the nerves :D

May 9, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #45,183 of 62,437
Was idly checking amazon if there is any release price drop / extra points or anything else I missed for the MTW3 release ... and upon seeing this:

Screenshot_2022_05_10_8_04.jpg

I am very much re-evaluating my purchase plan :) ... I can get so much more headphone for cheaper? :D
I always found the momentum over ears very sexy ,,,

May 9, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #45,184 of 62,437
I haven't tried the Linkbuds myself, but tbo I don't see any acoustic advantage of these compared to side-firing earbud TWS like the Airpods 3. Seems to me like Sony created an over-engineered solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, since I can get both huge open soundstage and low isolation situation awareness from side-firing open TWS too. Is there anything I might be missing with regards to this comparison?

Just for reference, here are Soundguys' measurements of Apple AirPods 3 and Sony LinkBuds. Note that I'm not even a fan of the Airpods, as I think one can get better sound quality for less money. But it's pretty obvious how the Airpods outperform the LinkBuds in the low range, while still presenting an open earbud-like soundstage.

apple-airpods-3rd-generation-frequency-response-chart-1-1024x672.jpg.webp

Sony-LinkBuds-FR-Chart-1024x672.jpg.webp

Source:
https://www.soundguys.com/apple-airpods-3rd-generation-review-61295/
https://www.soundguys.com/sony-linkbuds-wf-l900-review-67631/
You need to try a really good set of classic earbuds to see what you are missing between the type of buds you are talking about. While the fruit devices are indeed open sounding, they are still limited on the soundstage and separation compared to true earbuds (which is what the Linkbuds are) because they are still directed by a narrow opening into the ear (they are more like an open IEM than a true earbud), whereas an earbud is round, sits outside your ear, and you hear it much like you would a set of speakers. Basically Sony created a set of classic earbuds that are TWS. I honestly don't think they overengineered these at all if you understand what they were trying to achieve with these. I don't think they were trying to copy the Airpods (but just more complicated) at all, but were trying to make true classic earbuds while having TWS.

While classic earbuds are a niche thing nowadays, they are still VERY popular (and for good reason). Take some of the best open back circumaural (over-ear) headphones, and shrink them into IEM size. IEMs and even semi-in-ears cannot match that staging; though semi-in-ear buds can come much closer than IEMs can.

Also, I wouldn't trust those graphs for any open or even semi-in-ear earbuds. Those measurement rigs were set up for IEMs and depend totally on a good seal to give accurate readings. And make no mistake, most TWS that have tips on them DO indeed rely on a seal to get their full sound whether shallow insertion or deep insertion is the intent.

There is no really good solution for measuring open earbuds yet. You can do a search on this thread where there is a conversation about this very thing. The actual bass on the Linkbuds is nothing like it is shown on the graph. Granted, they will never reach Harmon levels of bass (read bass boosted), but this is the nature of open earbuds (though there are a few pairs that do VERY well, and can almost rival IEMs for quantity of bass), and until recently has also been the nature of open back headphones. :) The Linkbuds actually sound a lot like the graph for the Airpods shows. Very full mid-bass and up, with sub-bass roll-off, though it isn't void and IS there.
Was idly checking amazon if there is any release price drop / extra points or anything else I missed for the MTW3 release ... and upon seeing this:

Screenshot_2022_05_10_8_04.jpg

I am very much re-evaluating my purchase plan :) ... I can get so much more headphone for cheaper? :D
I always found the momentum over ears very sexy ,,,
I'm sure that these are newest revision of them, but I have the Momentum wireless 2.0 from years ago (before they had to change the name, and then back), and I still love to listen to them. They have stood the test of time and are still VERY good over ear BT (and wired, and USB) headphones. The ANC works very well, if one understands that it was never intended to block ALL sound, but only lower (plane, train, etc...) sounds.

Indeed, if you count the fact that there are four ways to enjoy music on these; wired w/ANC and without, BT only, USB DAC mode, combined with the sound quality, I think you would probably agree that the price for those is a pretty good deal IMHO. That is to say that they are tuned to the "Sennheiser house" sound with a bit of boosted bass (because they are considered mobile).

May 9, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #45,185 of 62,437
I'm sure that these are newest revision of them, but I have the Momentum wireless 2.0 from years ago (before they had to change the name, and then back), and I still love to listen to them. They have stood the test of time and are still VERY good over ear BT (and wired, and USB) headphones. The ANC works very well, if one understands that it was never intended to block ALL sound, but only lower (plane, train, etc...) sounds.

Indeed, if you count the fact that there are four ways to enjoy music on these; wired w/ANC and without, BT only, USB DAC mode, combined with the sound quality, I think you would probably agree that the price for those is a pretty good deal IMHO. That is to say that they are tuned to the "Sennheiser house" sound with a bit of boosted bass (because they are considered mobile).
Thanks for the input! Based on that I went over that amazon listing with a fine comb, as one needs to do these days, and several red flags came up ... seller 'just launched' (not sold & shipped by amazon), the description includes "authentic Japanese product" .... eh ... also says '3 modes of noise cancer' .. but that could be some translation slip up :) funny though
I shall do some fit test when I see them in store next time ... and take it from there ... one reason why I stick with my QC35 for so long as main over ears is that they are SOOOO comfortable

May 9, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #45,186 of 62,437
Thanks for the input! Based on that I went over that amazon listing with a fine comb, as one needs to do these days, and several red flags came up ... seller 'just launched' (not sold & shipped by amazon), the description includes "authentic Japanese product" .... eh ... also says '3 modes of noise cancer' .. but that could be some translation slip up :) funny though
I shall do some fit test when I see them in store next time ... and take it from there ... one reason why I stick with my QC35 for so long as main over ears is that they are SOOOO comfortable
You can buy them directly from Sennheiser's site here (for the US anyhow) for the price you are seeing. You know these are real (the ones you described do indeed sound fake), and you are assured to get the 2 year warranty. I have also seen them elsewhere on Amazon for the same price, though some places are still selling them at their $350-$400 original price.

Good catch on the sketchy(ness)! :)

May 9, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #45,187 of 62,437
I've tried all the tips. I went back to the large stock tips today and those might be working better. I do mean the UM Mest II.
This article has some interesting comments on the Stock Noble Fokus Pro Tips: https://headphone.guru/noble-fokus-pro-true-wireless-iem-achievement-unlocked/

"Despite a feeling of enclosed space, the single flange tips give a more fun bassier sound while the dual flange tips offer a more neutral presentation. I ended up preferring the large dual flange tips as these offered a combination of easier seal achievement and more natural sound. While the dual flange tips required a slight increase in volume, the dynamic range of the FoKus Pros was such that this was no issue able to achieve volumes well above my ability to listen comfortably."

What do you think about the AZLA Crystal, and AZLA Xelastec Tips paired with the Noble Fokus Pros?

May 10, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #45,188 of 62,437
This article has some interesting comments on the Stock Noble Fokus Pro Tips: https://headphone.guru/noble-fokus-pro-true-wireless-iem-achievement-unlocked/

"Despite a feeling of enclosed space, the single flange tips give a more fun bassier sound while the dual flange tips offer a more neutral presentation. I ended up preferring the large dual flange tips as these offered a combination of easier seal achievement and more natural sound. While the dual flange tips required a slight increase in volume, the dynamic range of the FoKus Pros was such that this was no issue able to achieve volumes well above my ability to listen comfortably."

What do you think about the AZLA Crystal, and AZLA Xelastec Tips paired with the Noble Fokus Pros?
The xelastic weren't long enough. The crystal work a bit better for staying put at the gym. I think the sedna don't work as well because their nozzle opening is larger and so they slide further back on the fokus nozzle. I might try a sized down crystal and see how that goes. Comply was no good.

May 10, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #45,190 of 62,437
The xelastic weren't long enough. The crystal work a bit better for staying put at the gym. I think the sedna don't work as well because their nozzle opening is larger and so they slide further back on the fokus nozzle. I might try a sized down crystal and see how that goes. Comply was no good.
Thanks, let me know how the sized down Crystal Tips work out, or if you find a good 3rd party set of Earphone Tips that work well with the Fokus Pros.

Any thoughts on the JVC Spiral Dots, Spinfits, or the Final Audio Type E?

Maybe the Stock Dual Flange Tips are the best bet, but if anybody has a suggestion for a good set of 3rd party Earphone Tips that work well with the Noble Fokus Pros, let me know, thanks.

May 10, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #45,193 of 62,437
Thanks, let me know how the sized down Crystal Tips work out, or if you find a good 3rd party set of Earphone Tips that work well with the Fokus Pros.

Any thoughts on the JVC Spiral Dots, Spinfits, or the Final Audio Type E?

Maybe the Stock Dual Flange Tips are the best bet, but if anybody has a suggestion for a good set of 3rd party Earphone Tips that work well with the Noble Fokus Pros, let me know, thanks.
Spin fits and type e didn't work great for Ms. I just ordered spiral dots last night as well as light azla sednas and will report back.

May 10, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #45,195 of 62,437
Aaaand... there it was, the big day 1 software update! Installing as we speak.
Hopefully the adaptive ANC don't clip the sound when moving/talking/chewing anymore.
Yes. I was just about to post this.

Attachments

• IMG_3072.PNG
    IMG_3072.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3073.PNG
    IMG_3073.PNG
    220.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3074.PNG
    IMG_3074.PNG
    324.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread