Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 3, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #44,956 of 62,431
My B&W PI7 got to me today. They do sound good, not quite my perfect cup of tea tonality-wise, but I wasn't expecting that. I got mostly what I was expecting to hear. A rather smooth sound with a slight emphasis on bass. I kind of hear a slight V-shape with the way the treble is pushed a little above the midrange as well. Overall, the bass is on the slower side with a tad bit of boom and impact to it while being far from tight. It's not overpowering and actually has great presence but doesn't quite have the detail/texturing I want. The midrange is on the smoother side and kind of takes a slight rear seat. The upper midrange is a little tamed down but not overdone as to remove midrange clarity and vocal presence/volume entirely. I do hear some sibilance in the vocals. The treble is very sparkly and edgy, but again not overwhelming. Like with the vocals I do hear a bit of sibilance.

Bowers & Wilkins has always been kind of hit (P5, P7*, P7W) or miss (P3*, P5 II*, PX, C5*) with the ones I've heard from them in the past (I should note that the ones denoted with a * were review samples I received from B&W about a decade ago so there might be some possible bias with that). I would say that the PI7 are more of a hit than they are a miss when it comes to sound.

Controls are nice and responsive which is good since I've always found touch controls to either be good or horridly implemented. The controls do lack customization which is a little unfortunate (at least I didn't see any options in the app). I would like to be able to switch between ANC and transparency modes, but that doesn't really seem to be an option. The ANC also does have a tendency to hiss when nothing is playing. It's not obnoxious, but definitely audible. The transparency mode isn't the best, but it seems usable.
I love mine too. I agree, they do need a firmware update for the transparency on/off and volume controls. I don't even think there has been a firmware update since release. Could be wrong. Force pair is nice, even though I'd prefer multi-pair like the Beoplay EX & EQ and now the M&D MW08. I used mine all day today at work with transparency on while listening to music and baseball games. Fit is really good for me too with the EPro tips. I don't hear the sibilance you hear, but I do hear great sound separation and clarity whereas a lot of my dynamic driver tws lack it in comparison. For the sale price, these are worth a shot. Truly looking forward to the next gen.

May 3, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #44,957 of 62,431
Given you obviously have experience with both, Where do you think the Gemini's do well, higher than average high volume, enormous bass, extreme separation and detail, tone and timbre?
What about the EX's
So I was A/Bing back and forth between the Devialet Geminis and the Beoplay EQs. They both have good sound, and were the 2 best in terms of sound quality of the earphones I tested, but ultimately I felt like the fact that the Geminis could get loud enough, whereas I felt like the Beoplay EQs were somewhat lacking in max volume in some instances, led me to prefer the Devialet Geminis.

However, with the release of the Beoplay EXs, it may be that the Devialet Geminis are the best TWS Earphones at the $240 price point, and the Beoplay EXs are the best TWS Earphones at the $400 price point, but I haven't tested the EXs yet, so others will have to offer their opinions on that comparison.

May 3, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #44,958 of 62,431
Do you find the Gemini stick out too much? They look a bit large in photos.

I do often use tws in bed while reading a book so I find myself wondering if taps would register with pillow rubbing against it. Especially if it sticks out too much
I don't think I was bothered by any sticking out of the Devialet Geminis, if they even did, but unless you're not moving around when using them, I do think you'd probably want to get some aftermarket tips, for a more snug fit in the ears.

I didn't try them like how you use earphones though, so I'm not sure about that case.

Fit and perceived sound quality are so individualistic, so if you're leaning towards the Devialet Geminis, I think you should audition them. Like I mentioned, if you get them via Amazon, you can return them for a full refund if they don't work out.

May 4, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #44,960 of 62,431
Actually everyone is missing out. Geekfly gf10 is better than the noble fokus pro. Have both.

Haven't tried the gf10 but lots of other stuff are sonically better than the fokus pro. They are ranked 4th in my humble arsenal of TWS in respect of sound quality. Not that I can't stand them though, have been keeping them in my rotation for a while now, but they suffer from the usual TWS syndromes not insignificantly.

May 4, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #44,961 of 62,431
Haven't tried the gf10 but lots of other stuff are sonically better than the fokus pro. They are ranked 4th in my humble arsenal of TWS in respect of sound quality. Not that I can't stand them though, have been keeping them in my rotation for a while now, but they suffer from the usual TWS syndromes not insignificantly.
Can you post the rankings of your TWS Earphones in terms of sound quality?

I'm curious to know which products you think are good.

Also, I looked up the Geekfly gf10s and it seems one downside is that the gf10s are not compatible with a low latency codec like AptX, right?

May 4, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #44,962 of 62,431
What's your number 1 and 2?

May 4, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #44,963 of 62,431
Can you post the rankings of your TWS Earphones in terms of sound quality?

I'm curious to know which products you think are good.

Also, I looked up the Geekfly gf10s and it seems one downside is that the gf10s are not compatible with a low latency codec like AptX, right?

Didn't do it on purpose but I have subconsciously listed them out in my sig in the order of my preference already lol

So to me, purely on sound 1. Victor HA-FW1000t >>> 2. AKG N400 >= 3. Final X Evangelion >> 4. Fokus Pro >>>>>>>>>>>>> 5. Fender Tour

All of the connects perfectly (except perhaps the Fender but that isn't too bad either). There are of cos other factors influencing the frequency of me reaching for each pair. As good as it sounds the Victor's fit is just above average and need readjustment every once in a while. The N400's fit is absolutely perfect, I never once have to readjust them once I put them on. Always go for the AKG for meals as chewing always dislodge imperfect fitting TWS. That can also be said about the Final, but the AKG have the edge there. Fokus got the looks and fit fine. The Tour is collecting dust, falling behind by a sizeable margin in terms of SQ not justifiable by other pros.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #44,964 of 62,431
Didn't do it on purpose but I have subconsciously listed them out in my sig in the order of my preference already lol

So to me, purely on sound 1. Victor HA-FW1000t >>> 2. AKG N400 >= 3. Final X Evangelion >> 4. Fokus Pro >>>>>>>>>>>>> 5. Fender Tour

All of the connects perfectly (except perhaps the Fender but that isn't too bad either). There are of cos other factors influencing the frequency of me reaching for each pair. As good as it sounds the Victor's fit is just above average and need readjustment every once in a while. The N400's fit is absolutely perfect, I never once have to readjust them once I put them on. Always go for the AKG for meals as chewing always dislodge imperfect fitting TWS. That can also be said about the Final, but the AKG have the edge there. Fokus got the looks and fit fine. The Tour is collecting dust, falling behind by a sizeable margin in terms of SQ not justifiable by other pros.

Thanks, it's interesting how individualistic things are. Seems like opinions can be all over the place for a lot of the TWS Earphones out there.

I'm curious to see how the upcoming generation of products fare, like the Noble Fokus H-ANC, and I wonder if Devialet will release something new soon that can compete with the Beoplay EXs.

May 4, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #44,965 of 62,431
Thanks, it's interesting how individualistic things are. Seems like opinions can be all over the place for a lot of the TWS Earphones out there.

I'm curious to see how the upcoming generation of products fare, like the Noble Fokus H-ANC, and I wonder if Devialet will release something new soon that can compete with the Beoplay EXs.
I don’t think Devialet will, if you is look at their line of products they are building mostly one product per category with software updates to improve things.
Anyone with EX and Devialet Gemini to chime in on the differences?

May 4, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #44,966 of 62,431
I don’t think Devialet will, if you is look at their line of products they are building mostly one product per category with software updates to improve things.
Anyone with EX and Devialet Gemini to chime in on the differences?
Maybe that would be the case, but other manufacturers are constantly updating their TWS Earphones, and the Devialet Geminis are from 2020 already, so I think Devialet would fall behind if they're not updating their hardware, especially with the advances in wireless technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back