Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #41,327 of 63,207
Well I've certainly not tried EVERY pair. But the Solaris sounds great to me, best I've heard and it's not close (although I've not heard many others in that price range). I listen to a lot of different genres, but most of my collection is on the heavier side (mostly metal), and they just give me a really massive soundstage that is balanced and clear, which is exactly what I want. Once I found Solaris I honestly stopped looking at IEMs and that's been true for a couple years now. There's a ton of reviews out there, but I'd encourage you to demo a pair if you can find them locally. Fwiw, I've got the OG gold pair, not the 2020s, which are more v-shaped as I understand it.
I have the oh Solaris and I love them. After all the iems that I've bought I'd say the solaris, andromeda, isn 50est, (all isn are great), Akg n5005, lz a6 are all my go to sets. I love the Solaris but up against the isn h50 not so different.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #41,328 of 63,207
So only me and @Dsnuts own the geekfly gf10? Truly phenomenal tws. I say that after owning 19 pairs. So these, Akg n4004, sennheiser tw2 for the win.
I'm truly happy with my Noble Fokus Pros and highly highly recommend, but I've heard good things about the Geekfly. Love the sound on the AKGs which I flipped but actually still have an unsealed copy calling my name under my desk. I tried the MTW2s so many times, I did love them, but soooooo many better options these days. Fortunately, the tech just keeps getting better. Looking forward to the MTW3! If they ever happen.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #41,330 of 63,207
I'm saying these are just amazing. Am I listening to Bluetooth? The soundstage and separation are awesome
You had me awesome. I get it. Check the Fokus. Crazy how far we’ve come with TWS. Now, sick IEMs with an adapter, that melts my brain.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #41,331 of 63,207
Got my cks50tw last night, must admit, they are WAY better than i thought, love the soundstage, rolled tips to RADIUS deep mount clear, using adaptive apt x; i love the bass and the mids, the app is quite helpful and I’m really happy with the SQ. The caveat… i feel it needs more volume, I’m using absolute volume, haven’t experimented turning it off, ill give it a go, ANC ain’t nothing fancy, but it makes its part. I’m a wee divided about the highs, the app EQ isn’t exactly audiophile grade but I’m using dolby atmos, haven’t tried power amp EQ with it yet. I’m tempted by the utws5 but i see there’s a couple of problems running around with em. Anyways, after a while of not trying any wireless headphone lately I’m more inclined to use em since going out and about with em its way easier than making my whole plug in the usb c dac, cable, which tips i want , which iem, wait my dog just pulled the cable, it started tangling etc. Which is not like oh man so bad but still its a pain.

The collection so far (only tws)
My .02 cents would be not to aim to audiophile sound in the TWS world. Try and aim to something that has the features you want. I.e. ANC, Ambient mode, Multipoint, good call quality etc. and of course sound quality that is good enough when out and about.
The Fokus might have changed that as you may get very close to audiophile sound quality but then you will be missing out on a bunch of features so at this point in time, I think you will kind of need to choose what you really want or find the Jack of All Trades of TWS. That's how I put together my current rotation based on my lifestyle.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #41,332 of 63,207
Saga continues with a giant What?
7644B029-4A64-459D-9828-734BC93C6625.jpeg
So far I had no chance to share a screen print with Amazon.
In case anyone still remembers this ... it is kinda still ongoing, though I am more and more giving up on it ... the seller finally responded, way after the 48 dead line (ok, new years, I understand) and they respond in Japanese only .. and basically wonder what I am on about 'flammable liquids' (the amazon system won't let me share screen prints) .. and, now for the kicker, they happily accept the return, which I shall please send on MY expense (which also means hand written form and dealing with the post office) and if the item is opened I only get 50% back !!! what a joke! Far from the usual amazon experience ... Beware when buying from market place sellers ... not sure why this is not sold by amazon direct as so many other ATH tws ...

I could still try to go for the A-Z guarantee ... but .. I guess I learn to love those buds ...

onhom.jpg

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #41,333 of 63,207
In case anyone still remembers this ... it is kinda still ongoing, though I am more and more giving up on it ... the seller finally responded, way after the 48 dead line (ok, new years, I understand) and they respond in Japanese only .. and basically wonder what I am on about 'flammable liquids' (the amazon system won't let me share screen prints) .. and, now for the kicker, they happily accept the return, which I shall please send on MY expense (which also means hand written form and dealing with the post office) and if the item is opened I only get 50% back !!! what a joke! Far from the usual amazon experience ... Beware when buying from market place sellers ... not sure why this is not sold by amazon direct as so many other ATH tws ...

I could still try to go for the A-Z guarantee ... but .. I guess I learn to love those buds ...

onhom.jpg
What a beating.

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #41,334 of 63,207
Spent some more time with the stock Shure Silicone Olives vs. Westone Star tips. It's amazing just how unique and personal IEMs and tip rolling can be given different ear canals, etc. The Silicone Olives seal well for me, but the pressure they put on my ear canal walls becomes super uncomfortable, quickly. Going down a size breaks the seal. The Westone tips fit perfectly and ameliorate the ear canal pressure while keeping a good seal. But I could see how it could be totally different for someone with a different ear physiology esp. given the different shape of both tips (bulbous vs. bullet).

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #41,335 of 63,207
Hello guys. I have the Vivo tws which have the aptx adaptive. According to aptx web, this codec is supposed to be compatible with aptx and aptx hd.
I have the OnePlus nord 2, which supports aptx and aptx hd, but when i try to select any of this 2 codecs, it is automatically changed back to AAC.
any suggestion or comment that may help me?

Jan 8, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #41,336 of 63,207
I'm falling down the rabbit hole. Ordered the btr5, kinera leyding cable with adapters that gizaudio recommends on his setup for $500 video, and 2-pin to mmcx and mmcx to 2-pin adapters. It's not looking good for getting the tw2's because I love the pros, and I think I'll try to use the btr5 + timeless as much as I can get away with. Also have the utws3 coming later today that now seems like overkill, but the price was good as long as it works decently. I'll prob just keep those paired with the aria when I get them.

From here on, who knows. I want something with more energy for vocals if the btr5 and balanced cable don't work with the timeless, but I am super afraid I'm going to have to hit the 700 price point to get it. And at that point why not just 1k for the monarch mk2?

Jan 8, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #41,337 of 63,207
I'm falling down the rabbit hole. Ordered the btr5, kinera leyding cable with adapters that gizaudio recommends on his setup for $500 video, and 2-pin to mmcx and mmcx to 2-pin adapters. It's not looking good for getting the tw2's because I love the pros, and I think I'll try to use the btr5 + timeless as much as I can get away with. Also have the utws3 coming later today that now seems like overkill, but the price was good as long as it works decently. I'll prob just keep those paired with the aria when I get them.

From here on, who knows. I want something with more energy for vocals if the btr5 and balanced cable don't work with the timeless, but I am super afraid I'm going to have to hit the 700 price point to get it. And at that point why not just 1k for the monarch mk2?
Gizaudio is one to follow, he will give very solid advice. I own the BTR5 and it is just as good as the Qudelix 5k as well as the IFi Go Blu. All of these devices put to shame any other wireless audio experience. If you can deal with a cable to your pocket, it is the way to go and lately I have not put down my ifi go blu and even my btr5 for some reason. I look at my tws and it just doesn't compare and I have quite a number of them. Nice purchase man, you will absolutely be happy as these devices are so close to a fully wired sound that I personally cannot tell the difference anymore and I've been doing this for awhile and even was kind of snobbish awhile over wireless setups in the early stages of wireless. It has come a long way. The BTR5 is legit and has a good app and plenty of power. Get a balanced cable for cheap and you will be happy man... Cool

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #41,338 of 63,207
I have the oh Solaris and I love them. After all the iems that I've bought I'd say the solaris, andromeda, isn 50est, (all isn are great), Akg n5005, lz a6 are all my go to sets. I love the Solaris but up against the isn h50 not so different.
Wow that's quite the praise for the isn h50, at that price I may give them a try!

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #41,339 of 63,207
Spent some more time with the stock Shure Silicone Olives vs. Westone Star tips. It's amazing just how unique and personal IEMs and tip rolling can be given different ear canals, etc. The Silicone Olives seal well for me, but the pressure they put on my ear canal walls becomes super uncomfortable, quickly. Going down a size breaks the seal. The Westone tips fit perfectly and ameliorate the ear canal pressure while keeping a good seal. But I could see how it could be totally different for someone with a different ear physiology esp. given the different shape of both tips (bulbous vs. bullet).
Tip rolling is one of the deepest rabbit holes... I have bags and bags of tips from my journeys in Wonderland. I ended up loving the Symbio W Peel above all else, and order a dozen every year now.

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #41,340 of 63,207
I tried the Technics EAH-AZ60 at a hifi store in town and… needless to say I’m now on the waiting list to grab them when their next shipment of them comes in (Monday or Tuesday).

They really impressed me during the short period of time I demoed them. To my ears almost a perfect tuning for what I prefer MOST of the time. I was only going to try them to rule them out because I had placed an order for the Liberty 3 Pro’s at another store, but I have no option to try them so I think it’s going to be difficult for me to pick them over the Technics now lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back