Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 9, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #40,066 of 62,385
Very true. Normally I try not to return stuff but in the TWS game it can be such a hit and miss and not just about sound quality but connectivity, charging case, app etc...
I would definitely stick to Amazon especially since this is a brand new company with no track record.

I'm seeing the below on this page: https://helpdesk.drop.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019107874-Drop-s-return-replacement-policy

Drop Studio items are considered eligible for return if they:
  1. Are marked on the product page via a note stating "RETURNS & EXCHANGES—NO QUESTIONS ASKED"
  2. Are in "like new" condition as described below:
    • Items will be free of cosmetic defects and in perfect working condition
    • All original components intact: Inclusive of any included inserts or additional materials.
    • Be in original packaging and with have minimal damage

That's a direct copypasta (including the typo) so it looks like they're fine accepting a return of an opened product.

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #40,067 of 62,385
One benefit with the Grell is that it stores the profile on the earphones themselves, so the profile is used with all devices.
About that video, there was some mention in the dedicated thread how this guy is biased to the custom tunings he does on the Earfun for his Patreon subscribers. Not that it disqualifies his opinion, but it should perhaps be taken with a grain of salt.
Oh I totally felt the same. He kept referring to his Earfun buds. Also, if you look at his channel, he refers to them quite often.

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #40,068 of 62,385
I'm jumping in and buying the Grells!

No, multi-point, BUT it looks like they have my favorite feature from the Soundpeats H1 which is the ability to manually force pairing mode via the earbuds themselves!

From their FAQ:
You can also manually start the pairing on the earbuds if you tap and hold the touch field on each earbud simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Happy they implemented this. I wish all TWS IEMs had it. Such an easy quality of life feature that mitigates the pain of no fast/quick pairing or multi-point. IIRC it's actually part of the QCC3040 and 5141 reference implementation, so it seems like companies are almost going out of their way to disable it.

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #40,069 of 62,385

No, multi-point, BUT it looks like they have my favorite feature from the Soundpeats H1 which is the ability to manually force pairing mode via the earbuds themselves!

From their FAQ:

Happy they implemented this. I wish all TWS IEMs had it. Such an easy quality of life feature that mitigates the pain of no fast/quick pairing or multi-point. IIRC it's actually part of the QCC3040 and 5141 reference implementation, so it seems like companies are almost going out of their way to disable it.

It’s the same method with the sennheiser CX 400BT but those have the Connections feature in the app which makes it super easy to toggle between devices and while not true multipoint it still a great feature which works flawlessly for me.

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #40,070 of 62,385
New update for the AZ70 too!! Will see what is does shortly...

Edit: apparently came out back in June and the app just wasn't telling me about it.

Anyone remember what they noticed if anything from the last AZ70 firmware update in regards to sound?

It seems a bit warmer sounding after the update.
Checked my set and it seems they were already on it. Current version for me is JNK1ZD 02.60.

Can't say I heard a difference, but they sounded fantastic with this album tonight:

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #40,073 of 62,385
Stock tips. EQ on but at same settings there is a slight difference. Sounds a bit less thin at top end a bit more full out warmer at low end compared to before. Still has great treble detail.
Seems to me the sound is a bit warmer
I’m noticing the same. Digging it so far though I didn’t really have any issue with the sound before. Still haven’t tested the changes to ambient mode.

Dec 10, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #40,074 of 62,385

From their FAQ:

WRT multipoint, this is from the discussion section of the Drop page.

“New community manager for grell audio here! Good question. The TWS/1 supports Bluetooth 5.2 with the Qualcomm 5141 chipset; Qualcomm has announced Multipoint connectivity for this chipset, but qualcomm has not implemented it (yet?).”

So maybe it come with a (near) future firmware update

Also, review on head fi:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/grell-audio-tws-1.25593/reviews#review-27464

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #40,075 of 62,385
That is an awesome album @miserybeforethemusic really enjoyed it with the AZ60 last night, will give it a whirl with the AZ70 today.

So far the new AZ60 firmware seems to have tightened the bass a bit, to me it's not quite as loose sounding and they do seem possibly a bit warmer sounding as well. The treble seems the same which is good.

Dec 10, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #40,076 of 62,385
Fiil T2 pro. Seems to have retained the t1 pro sound. ANC is more effective.

h6TgT6S.jpg

Dec 10, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #40,077 of 62,385
That is an awesome album @miserybeforethemusic really enjoyed it with the AZ60 last night, will give it a whirl with the AZ70 today.

So far the new AZ60 firmware seems to have tightened the bass a bit, to me it's not quite as loose sounding and they do seem possibly a bit warmer sounding as well. The treble seems the same which is good.
Thanks! Sounds like Thomas will be doing a 7-"chapter" version of this Humanity series and we're currently up to Chapter 4. Can't wait to see what else is in store. Figured the cinematic/modern classical feel of that album played to all of the Technics' strengths.

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #40,078 of 62,385
It sure does, both AZ70 and AZ60 sound wonderful with that album. Might have to buy that album. Found new music!! Thats even better than a new headphone... :xf_cool:

Dec 10, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #40,079 of 62,385
WRT multipoint, this is from the discussion section of the Drop page.

“New community manager for grell audio here! Good question. The TWS/1 supports Bluetooth 5.2 with the Qualcomm 5141 chipset; Qualcomm has announced Multipoint connectivity for this chipset, but qualcomm has not implemented it (yet?).”

So maybe it come with a (near) future firmware update

Also, review on head fi:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/grell-audio-tws-1.25593/reviews#review-27464
One thing I can’t find out is how do you do firmware updates on them? I’m not well-versed in the SoundID app so I don’t know if you can implement firmware updates on earbuds with it?

Dec 10, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #40,080 of 62,385

Users who are viewing this thread

Back