Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 1, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #39,796 of 62,452
Samsung has LDAC not aptx adaptive

If you are replying to me I am on about the above comment about the FiiO UTWS5's (but for some reason did not see the post after it or I would have quoted it) do not have LDAC or the standalone aptX-HD codec to fall back to so I would be stuck on aptX like with a few of my current SoundPeats aptX-Adaptive QC3040 based buds.

FiiO have already paid the up front large sum for the licence for it so it is only a $ or so per device to add it.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #39,797 of 62,452
I have ordered the UTWS5 today, directly from FiiO store on AliExpress. I hope it will play well with my new FiiO FH5s, they are just coming out of 200 hours of burn in, and they sound cool! (Qudelix 5K + twisted 4-core copper cable + bass switch set to ON). My phone has aptX Adaptive. It's just that I will receive it around December 28 :frowning2:

If I bought a UTWS5 it would need be for my FH3's which are currently on my FiiO Neckband as my new FH7 would be wasted on Bluetooth IMO.

I ordered my BTA30 PRO from a seller on AliExpress and had in 9 days.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #39,798 of 62,452
If I bought a UTWS5 it would need be for my FH3's which are currently on my FiiO Neckband as my new FH7 would be wasted on Bluetooth IMO.

I ordered my BTA30 PRO from a seller on AliExpress and had in 9 days.
I bought the FH5s for the UTWS5 because it won't be able to drive my TRI I3 properly. We'll see...

I had an order placed for the UTWS5 on a seller on AliExpress since November 17. But it was not available, it was just a preorder, like it is now on that other store (above). I'm not sure if the FiiO store actually has them, but at least it is their official store. I really hope I will receive it earlier!

Dec 1, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #39,799 of 62,452
There is one seller selling them for £59 then a few more £ off via a discount voucher (claims to be in stock and 4 sold, 1 more since in the time it took me to post this) but he has no feedback and his store only opened in late Oct 2021 so a bit risky, I will not link to them for obv reasons.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #39,800 of 62,452
This is exactly what I am hoping for. My only wish on the AZ70 was a bit more bass. I prefer a bit brighter sound most of the time so will like that aspect.

Now I just have to wait for them to arrive... Patiently... LOL
Keep in mind the AZ70's bottom end fills out when ANC or hearthrough are activated. I'm not personally a fan of the change in tuning as a result and have grown more fond of its airiness instead.

But glad to hear you're getting your hands on the next gen. Curious to see what you think of them, especially considering how long you've stood by the AZ70s.

In my case, it seems the touch controls don't register, so I can't factory reset or pair to a new device. Out of frustration, it's gone into the drawer until I'm ready to fiddle with it again.

Truth be told, the CX400BT and UE FITS get the vast majority of playtime here lately.

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #39,801 of 62,452
Keep in mind the AZ70's bottom end fills out when ANC or hearthrough are activated. I'm not personally a fan of the change in tuning as a result and have grown more fond of its airiness instead.

But glad to hear you're getting your hands on the next gen. Curious to see what you think of them, especially considering how long you've stood by the AZ70s.

In my case, it seems the touch controls don't register, so I can't factory reset or pair to a new device. Out of frustration, it's gone into the drawer until I'm ready to fiddle with it again.

Truth be told, the CX400BT and UE FITS get the vast majority of playtime here lately.
Good to see you back sir :)

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #39,802 of 62,452
Good to see you back sir :)
It's a slow roll in, but feels good brother. Funnily enough, haven't bought anything new except for a pair of the XM4 over-ears since I left. Have given far more away since. That Fokus has my attention, though...

What's new?

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #39,803 of 62,452
It's a slow roll in, but feels good brother. Funnily enough, haven't bought anything new except for a pair of the XM4 over-ears since I left. Have given far more away since. That Fokus has my attention, though...

What's new?
A whole lot of trials and feedbacks. (and work of course). Great deals on those XM4s lately, hope you are enjoying them. Got the new Denons coming Friday out of curiosity which I hope sound good, but am expecting the worst :)

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #39,804 of 62,452

Wonderful to read you again!!! There’s a set of AKG N400NC TWS that have been peaking my interest of late.

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #39,805 of 62,452
A whole lot of trials and feedbacks. (and work of course). Great deals on those XM4s lately, hope you are enjoying them. Got the new Denons coming Friday out of curiosity which I hope sound good, but am expecting the worst :)
Excellent way to manage your expectations. Man, I get it. I’ll do the “expecting the best” for you.

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #39,806 of 62,452
Depends on who they let tune it, I suppose. Could be very similar to the mu3 in terms of sig, which isn't exactly a bad thing.

Wonderful to read you again!!! There’s a set of AKG N400NC TWS that have been peaking my interest of late.
Thanks, friend! I'm a little apprehensive with AKG products since Samsung basically bought the name and outsourced the tuning. The reliable AKG engineers went off to make Austrian Audio, so I don't know how much of the legacy you're going to see in the N400. If they manage to stick to the Harman target and can somehow adjust for loudness properly, I don't see why they wouldn't sound great, though.

Here's the collection as it stands/remains.
IMG_20211201_154612.jpg
85t are still the all-purpose workhorse, surprisingly, though I really wish the tones on their HearID system were just a hair louder. It's really hard to hear most of the tones, but the system overall is pretty effective.

FITS can just be worn practically forever and the DD inside has really matured, helping the low end come out. They're still considerably more neutral than most pairs out there, but it's so good on execution/technicalities.

The Club Pro+ have been the really surprising pair. Their ANC and hearthrough are still pretty weak, but serviceable enough to justify use. They're dead simple to pair up. Wireless charging works flawlessly. EPro tips make these practically perfect for fit and seal.

Unfortunately, the WH3 no longer charges via the USB-C port, but wireless charging does. Think I've gotten one update for the entire lifecycle of the product. Sound sig and lack of support really don't justify the purchase and it seems the WH2 brings more of the same. There's a little bit of hope now that the WH3 is registered in the AutoEQ database, but even it's not enough of a correction to make these worth what they're asking.

We all know about the MTs. I don't have the volume issues anymore. The occasional disconnection still happens, but it's very rare. Still recommend these for the sound signature.

The ADVs are...fine. they'd do the trick if you wanted an aptX pair that was no-fuss, but the mic could really be improved to use as a conference pair. They're very well built, though.

Falcon Pros are still the detail champs of the TWS bunch. The preamp controls finally seem to stick, letting me reliably use aptX adaptive without the artifacting. Using Neutron's AGP really helps.

And the CX400BT? Just fantastic for creating a mood around the music. Can't knock them for that. Still were never worth $200.

The story learned over this journey? Take breaks. You learn way more about your equipment when you just allow yourself to "exist" with it.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #39,807 of 62,452
Depends on who they let tune it, I suppose. Could be very similar to the mu3 in terms of sig, which isn't exactly a bad thing.

Thanks, friend! I'm a little apprehensive with AKG products since Samsung basically bought the name and outsourced the tuning. The reliable AKG engineers went off to make Austrian Audio, so I don't know how much of the legacy you're going to see in the N400. If they manage to stick to the Harman target and can somehow adjust for loudness properly, I don't see why they wouldn't sound great, though.

Here's the collection as it stands/remains.
IMG_20211201_154612.jpg
85t are still the all-purpose workhorse, surprisingly, though I really wish the tones on their HearID system were just a hair louder. It's really hard to hear most of the tones, but the system overall is pretty effective.

FITS can just be worn practically forever and the DD inside has really matured, helping the low end come out. They're still considerably more neutral than most pairs out there, but it's so good on execution/technicalities.

The Club Pro+ have been the really surprising pair. Their ANC and hearthrough are still pretty weak, but serviceable enough to justify use. They're dead simple to pair up. Wireless charging works flawlessly. EPro tips make these practically perfect for fit and seal.

Unfortunately, the WH3 no longer charges via the USB-C port, but wireless charging does. Think I've gotten one update for the entire lifecycle of the product. Sound sig and lack of support really don't justify the purchase and it seems the WH2 brings more of the same.

We all know about the MTs. I don't have the volume issues anymore. The occasional disconnection still happens, but it's very rare. Still recommend these for the sound signature.

The ADVs are...fine. they'd do the trick if you wanted an aptX pair that was no-fuss, but the mic could really be improved to use as a conference pair. They're very well built, though.

Falcon Pros are still the detail champs of the TWS bunch. The preamp controls finally seem to stick, letting me reliably use aptX adaptive without the artifacting. Using Neutron's AGP really helps.

And the CX400BT? Just fantastic for creating a mood around the music. Can't knock them for that. Still were never worth $200.

The story learned over this journey? Take breaks. You learn way more about your equipment when you just allow yourself to "exist" with it.
Should also mention the 85t are the reigning champs of connection time and quality. They're always connected by the time I get them from the case to my ear. Would be perfect if they supported better codecs and both Left/Right independent use. Really hope they don't mess up the refresh.

The slowest? Sennheiser by a country mile. Usually anywhere from 20-30 seconds consistently.

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #39,808 of 62,452

Welcome back, man. Good to see you again.
You’re the reason I got the Sennheiser CX 400BT a while back and must say they are excellent and for a great price.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #39,809 of 62,452
Welcome back, man. Good to see you again.
You’re the reason I got the Sennheiser CX 400BT a while back and must say they are excellent and for a great price.
That roller-coaster of a purchase experience lol? Yep, they turned out to fit a surprisingly useful niche in the collection. Definitely not the stalwarts of detail retrieval, but pretty fantastic for musicality.

Did anybody ever figure out how to properly utilize that EQ?

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #39,810 of 62,452
That roller-coaster of a purchase experience lol? Yep, they turned out to fit a surprisingly useful niche in the collection. Definitely not the stalwarts of detail retrieval, but pretty fantastic for musicality.

Did anybody ever figure out how to properly utilize that EQ?
Hahaha it was an impulse purchase.
They were on sale locally for a great price plus cash back so it was a no brainer.
I enjoy them in the evenings when I kick back and chill. Yeah, not the best for details but good enough especially because they sound very natural.
The eq sucks though. It’s just not responsive enough IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back