Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 30, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #39,736 of 62,439
Few posts back, I was asking for an advice on TWS IEMs and since I got no answer, I went through online reviews and bought Panasonic RZ-S500W. They were discounted 50% to 62euros and had stellar reviews, so I thought why not.

I just got them and have to say, these are absolutely terrible. I've got no idea how are these getting so great reviews (example). The sound is muddled, like coming through a rag and it's missing details. It's also missing dynamic range, but that's maybe the wireless compression? All music sounds like it got mastered during the peak of loudness war era.

I did an A/B comparison between these and Etymotic MK5 and the difference is mind boggling (I also have ER3SE, but that wouldn't be a fair comparison). The Panasonics are all bass, overpowering everything else (I know etymotic and bass goes together like vampires and garlic, but still...) After trying multiple ear tip sizes on the Panasonics and EQing the bass 7db down, it's slightly more bearable, but it's still like turning on an old radio. Any violins are almost completely gone, acoustic guitars are lacking top end zing and there's a weird "hole" in vocals.

On the plus side, the headphones are really comfortable, but I don't see the usage for anything more than podcasts.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something more similar to the signature Etymotic sound? Just crisp and detailed with good separation.
My other experience is with Airpods Pro (worse than these Panasonics, but at least without overpowering bass) and Sennheiser Momentum 2 (these were better, but couldn't get a good seal).
Thanks

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #39,737 of 62,439
Few posts back, I was asking for an advice on TWS IEMs and since I got no answer, I went through online reviews and bought Panasonic RZ-S500W. They were discounted 50% to 62euros and had stellar reviews, so I thought why not.

I just got them and have to say, these are absolutely terrible. I've got no idea how are these getting so great reviews (example). The sound is muddled, like coming through a rag and it's missing details. It's also missing dynamic range, but that's maybe the wireless compression? All music sounds like it got mastered during the peak of loudness war era.

I did an A/B comparison between these and Etymotic MK5 and the difference is mind boggling (I also have ER3SE, but that wouldn't be a fair comparison). The Panasonics are all bass, overpowering everything else (I know etymotic and bass goes together like vampires and garlic, but still...) After trying multiple ear tip sizes on the Panasonics and EQing the bass 7db down, it's slightly more bearable, but it's still like turning on an old radio. Any violins are almost completely gone, acoustic guitars are lacking top end zing and there's a weird "hole" in vocals.

On the plus side, the headphones are really comfortable, but I don't see the usage for anything more than podcasts.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something more similar to the signature Etymotic sound? Just crisp and detailed with good separation.
My other experience is with Airpods Pro (worse than these Panasonics, but at least without overpowering bass) and Sennheiser Momentum 2 (these were better, but couldn't get a good seal).
Thanks

You're going to a have a very hard time finding a TWS set similar in tuning to the the Etymotic as most TWS have this consumer sound and even the ones that are considered more balanced normally have elevated bass, and with all that being said you may wanna look at the LYPERTEK PUREPLAY Z3 2.0 as a I was reading that they are more balanced and neutral compared to most TWS.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #39,738 of 62,439
You're going to a have a very hard time finding a TWS set similar in tuning to the the Etymotic as most TWS have this consumer sound and even the ones that are considered more balanced normally have elevated bass, and with all that being said you may wanna look at the LYPERTEK PUREPLAY Z3 2.0 as a I was reading that they are more balanced and neutral compared to most TWS.

Thank you, I'll check them out, the price is less than I expected.

In the meantime, I think I found use for these RZ-S500W. They respond much better to slow, more heavy music, with constant bass guitar background (like Opeth - Damnation), than to more lively acoustic and bowed string instruments.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #39,739 of 62,439
Thank you, I'll check them out, the price is less than I expected.

In the meantime, I think I found use for these RZ-S500W. They respond much better to slow, more heavy music, with constant bass guitar background (like Opeth - Damnation), than to more lively acoustic and bowed string instruments.

Also the Technics AZ70 might suit you too. A few members have them here and I’m sure will be able to chime in.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #39,741 of 62,439
Anyone has thoughts about good starting EQ for the Shure Aonic Free?
Might not be for everyone, but here is one of mine. I will say, it's tough to EQ!

Attachments

• IMG_9088_conv (4).jpg
    IMG_9088_conv (4).jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9089_conv (3).jpg
    IMG_9089_conv (3).jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9090_conv (2).jpg
    IMG_9090_conv (2).jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9091_conv (1).jpg
    IMG_9091_conv (1).jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 0
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #39,743 of 62,439
Ideally if you have good devices and good files you should not need any shaping but we get addicted to it so turning it off sounds lacking till you adjust to it.

Obv in real life due to some limitations and variables you will need to EQ somewhat.

I must admit a lot of the cheaper buds sound good due to their V shape sound.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #39,744 of 62,439
Yes. I was using Treble Boost for a while and now trying with EQ off. I’m using SpinFits and I have to say that the EQ off is not bad.
Not bad. I prefer raising the db a bit and then I always try to add some sub-bass. Probably make my head explode, but I'm okay with that :L3000:

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #39,745 of 62,439
New B&O EQ update. Someone there is listening. Maybe extra touch controls are coming?

Attachments

• IMG_9092.jpg
    IMG_9092.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #39,747 of 62,439
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #39,748 of 62,439

Thanks
Man this is a tough question as you will hear very few if any tws with this sound sig. You almost have to look for a more balanced set to start with and eq to your liking. I would suggest the Moondrop Sparks for roughly $75-85. Or even go with a budget set which leans toward the bright side like the Edifier Tws1 Pro. I think prob your best option is a wireless adapter like the Fiio Utws3/utws5 or the trn adapters and get a iem with the signature that you enjoy. You may have to slightly eq any coloration that the adapters have but this may be an alternative to fully True Wireless.

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #39,750 of 62,439
Ideally if you have good devices and good files you should not need any shaping but we get addicted to it so turning it off sounds lacking till you adjust to it.

Obv in real life due to some limitations and variables you will need to EQ somewhat.

I must admit a lot of the cheaper buds sound good due to their V shape sound.
In theory, yes but even with high quality files or streaming and a good device it's highly dependent on the TWS set, its capabilities and tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back