Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 15, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #39,376 of 62,185
Anyone tried the Grell audio TWS yet? Early feedback on their NAR noise reduction is not very good(it doesn't make much difference). Curious about sound quality though. These seem pretty large in size and by the looks of it, the core seems like CLEER TWS

Still using Technics AZ60 are very good, but I miss the sub bass and soundstage of LP3 and instrument separation of the B&O EQ. Guess you can't have it all...

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #39,377 of 62,185
Anyone tried the Grell audio TWS yet? Early feedback on their NAR noise reduction is not very good(it doesn't make much difference). Curious about sound quality though. These seem pretty large in size and by the looks of it, the core seems like CLEER TWS

Still using Technics AZ60 are very good, but I miss the sub bass and soundstage of LP3 and instrument separation of the B&O EQ. Guess you can't have it all...

For me I kind of gave up on having 1 set of TWS that will do everything.
I mainly use the 1More Comfobuds Pro for phone calls, meetings, music during the day. They are not technically the best but they do everything very well.
I use the Sennheiser CX 400BT strictly for music when I want to chill with a drink and listen to music. I can easily toggle connections from the app so it’s great when I’m moving from the phone to iPad to my PC and such.
The Fiil T1XS is when out and about and I don’t need ANC but their passive noise canceling is superb so don’t miss that. They are small and sound great too.
The Jabra Elite Sport is strictly for phone calls and working out since they Sport app is the best for my needs.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #39,380 of 62,185
I mainly use the 1More Comfobuds Pro for phone calls, meetings, music during the day. They are not technically the best but they do everything very well.
I use the Sennheiser CX 400BT strictly for music when I want to chill with a drink and listen to music. I can easily toggle connections from the app so it’s great when I’m moving from the phone to iPad to my PC and such.
The Fiil T1XS is when out and about and I don’t need ANC but their passive noise canceling is superb so don’t miss that. They are small and sound great too.
The Jabra Elite Sport is strictly for phone calls and working out since they Sport app is the best for my needs.
That's a nice setup. I use over ears H95 when at home and AZ60 when out and about. Hoping MTW3 will come out soon to accompany with a glass of wine :)

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #39,381 of 62,185

same. that's also my approach on regular wired IEMs/earbuds/headphones. better to have several specialized ones that one jack of all trades

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #39,383 of 62,185
same. that's also my approach on regular wired IEMs/earbuds/headphones. better to have several specialized ones that one jack of all trades

Yeah, I was trying to go with a leaner setup but that's what I came up with. Especially after trying a few TWS that were highly regarded for sound but they just didn't do it for me.

In general, sound is highly subjective and even more so in TWS because of fit, features and your own use case IMO.
For me, I enjoy some mid-tier TWS if their sound is right. I can live with some drawbacks but some things are very important to me.

I think the real eye-opener was with the CA MT. Most people seem to love their sound but it just wasn't for me. On top of all the issues with the app and the touch control I just couldn't get them to sound right for my ears and I think this is also when I realized my ears aren't young anymore and I'm looking for a more mature sound with no boomy bass, sharp, over sparkly highs and recessed mids.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #39,384 of 62,185
Nov 16, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #39,385 of 62,185

I am in the exact same situation as you! I have returned my Melomania 1+ , I still have the Melomania 1, and I am currently using the AZ60. They are nice but I would like a better sound quality. I am hoping for the Grell audio TWS and I will give a fair chance to the FiiO UTWS5, when it will become available on Amazon UK. But I seriously doubt that it will be capable of driving my TRI I3 😞

Nov 16, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #39,386 of 62,185
I am in the exact same situation as you! I have returned my Melomania 1+ , I still have the Melomania 1, and I am currently using the AZ60. They are nice but I would like a better sound quality. I am hoping for the Grell audio TWS and I will give a fair chance to the FiiO UTWS5, when it will become available on Amazon UK. But I seriously doubt that it will be capable of driving my TRI I3 😞

What do you feel the AZ60 are lacking?
I think for sound quality they should be up there with the best as they are latest generation and Technics was going for sound quality on top of other features.

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #39,387 of 62,185
Yeah, the Grell thing makes people have high hopes but doubt, like Tommy C talks of, these will sound better than the AZ60. One early report had them sounding close to the existing MTW2 so in the pack among the very good sounding ones but they won't be out in front.

A few seem to hold the Gemini out in front and then there is a whole bunch lumped together real good but close and you have to pick your poison of which sig/features you may like. Maybe the FoKus is a little ahead as well but not enough reports on that.

You can get better SQ the other way with the adapters but yes it can be sub par if unable to drive. Are you married to the I3?? No offense to them but you could do even better and easier to drive to work with the adapters.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #39,388 of 62,185
Apologies in advance for not reading through 2627 pages of posts before posting here...my headphone journey has run the gamut, beginning with SR325's about 20 years ago, then some Shure e2c's for travel, then some other IEM brand. Then, about 6 years ago, I was in a position to splurge and got my hands on some Fostex TH900's. Admittedly, I missed some of the Grado clarity, but the Fostex were clearly a step above.

But now, again, I found myself needing something for travel, which brought me to the Jabra Elite 85t's. These little guys may not be the best as far as driver specs, but I am absolutely sold on the value of personalized EQ due to them. I used to be in the camp of believing that a "flat" response was audio nirvana, but then I realized that that was near impossible to attain, since the studio engineers were the only people with access to the pure, unadulterated mix, the best I could do was attempt to replicate what they were mixing in the booth (be it with Sony, Audiotechnica, whatever). The Jabra's were letting me hear balance and detail in a way that none of the previously mentioned headphones did.

Moreover, human hearing apparatus isn't flat, either: High frequency response generally degrades with age, and low frequency response is just generally weak. So, I guess what I'm saying is, where does the headphone game go from here? Do others generally feel the same about personally-EQ'ed headphones, and if not, what are the other options?

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #39,389 of 62,185
What do you feel the AZ60 are lacking?
I think for sound quality they should be up there with the best as they are latest generation and Technics was going for sound quality on top of other features.
The AZ60 is a very good pair, in overall. The quality of my phonecalls, for example, is much better than with the Melomania 1 or the M1+
But when it comes to the comparison between them and my Qudelix 5K with my TRI I3, plus I'm using a very nice cable from TRI, there can be no comparison! My TRI I3 sound much (much) better in all frequencies, they can sound much louder, the soundstage is unbelievable... They are on another level, altogether. Now, I am aware of this, but I am just replying to your question. This is why I am still searching for something better than the AZ60, fully wireless, no DAC/AMP

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #39,390 of 62,185
Yeah, the Grell thing makes people have high hopes but doubt, like Tommy C talks of, these will sound better than the AZ60. One early report had them sounding close to the existing MTW2 so in the pack among the very good sounding ones but they won't be out in front.

A few seem to hold the Gemini out in front and then there is a whole bunch lumped together real good but close and you have to pick your poison of which sig/features you may like. Maybe the FoKus is a little ahead as well but not enough reports on that.

You can get better SQ the other way with the adapters but yes it can be sub par if unable to drive. Are you married to the I3?? No offense to them but you could do even better and easier to drive to work with the adapters.
Well, I will give the Grell a fair chance, as I will do with the FiiO UTWS5

Besides that, I do not understand what you mean... Married? No. They just happen to be the best IEMs I've ever heard! And, I consider myself lucky that they were the first pair I ever got! With the Qudelix 5K it was different. I had to purchase, use and try, various FiiO players, like the M9, the M7, the M3K which I still own, until I reached to my Qudelix.

And, I do not drive to work. I walk to work. And, it is not convenient to walk around with the cable, at least for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back