Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 16, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #39,391 of 62,092
Well, I will give the Grell a fair chance, as I will do with the FiiO UTWS5

Besides that, I do not understand what you mean... Married? No. They just happen to be the best IEMs I've ever heard! And, I consider myself lucky that they were the first pair I ever got! With the Qudelix 5K it was different. I had to purchase, use and try, various FiiO players, like the M9, the M7, the M3K which I still own, until I reached to my Qudelix.

And, I do not drive to work. I walk to work. And, it is not convenient to walk around with the cable, at least for me.
Exactly what I mean. You are kinda married to them. The first pair, the best, and are special to you so probably not open to trying something else at this point. What about how you get to work or about cables?? If you are going TWS or TWS adapters there is no cable. :)

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #39,392 of 62,092
The AZ60 are a very good pair, in overall. They quality of my phonecalls, for example, is much better than with the Melomania 1 or the M1+
But when it comes the comparison between them and my Qudelix 5K with my TRI I3, plus I'm using a very nice cable from TRI, there can be no comparison! My TRI I3 sounds much (much) better in all frequencies, they can sound much louder, the soundstage is unbelievable... They are on another level, altogether. Now, I am aware of this, but I am just replying to your question. This is why I am still searching for something better than the AZ60, fully wireless, no DAC/AMP
I have the Qudelix as well and you are right, no comparison. I don't think thier will be a tws which can compete with that setup for a very long time if ever

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #39,393 of 62,092
The AZ60 are a very good pair, in overall. They quality of my phonecalls, for example, is much better than with the Melomania 1 or the M1+
But when it comes the comparison between them and my Qudelix 5K with my TRI I3, plus I'm using a very nice cable from TRI, there can be no comparison! My TRI I3 sounds much (much) better in all frequencies, they can sound much louder, the soundstage is unbelievable... They are on another level, altogether. Now, I am aware of this, but I am just replying to your question. This is why I am still searching for something better than the AZ60, fully wireless, no DAC/AMP

The bitter truth is that if you compare wired IEMs to TWS you're going to be disappointed every-single-time, but you already know that.
I have been listening to mostly TWS for the last few years with headphones and IEMs every once in a while.
A couple of months ago I pulled the UE900 out of the drawer and boy, they obviously destroy all the TWS that I currently own or demoed.
I had the Liberty 2 Pro Plus back then and was able to adjust them with the EQ to sound very similar to the UE900 but when it came to soundstage and imagining it was no contest, and the UE900 was like top of the line flagship approx. 10 years ago? And they weren't even that expensive back then.
This shows how big the gap is as I don't think that even a TOTL TWS can compete with good mid-tier IEMs.

A different path that you may want to explore is the Shure TW2 with better IEMs than than the stock Aonic 215. Maybe the SE535 or SE425 or the Aonic 3 or 4 if you don't want to break the bank

Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with the Shure setup and this is just based on reviews that I have been reading online and here by erockg who has them.

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #39,394 of 62,092
The bitter truth is that if you compare wired IEMs to TWS you're going to be disappointed every-single-time, but you already know that.
I have been listening to mostly TWS for the last few years with headphones and IEMs every once in a while.
A couple of months ago I pulled the UE900 out of the drawer and boy, they obviously destroy all the TWS that I currently own or demoed.
I had the Liberty 2 Pro Plus back then and was able to adjust them with the EQ to sound very similar to the UE900 but when it came to soundstage and imagining it was no contest, and the UE900 was like top of the line flagship approx. 10 years ago? And they weren't even that expensive back then.
This shows how big the gap is as I don't think that even a TOTL TWS can compete with good mid-tier IEMs.

A different path that you may want to explore is the Shure TW2 with better IEMs than than the stock Aonic 215. Maybe the SE535 or SE425 or the Aonic 3 or 4 if you don't want to break the bank

Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with the Shure setup and this is just based on reviews that I have been reading online and here by erockg who has them.
Thanks for your reply and suggestion

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #39,395 of 62,092
Hello everyone - I’ve been comparing my way through all the top-tier TWS and have had the following observations of what my ears do and don’t like:
Bose - oh so comfortable; oh what mush for sound. As undifferentiated and comforting as a bowl of mashed potatoes. Went back.
Sony xm4 - great all-purpose. Fantastic features and a good sound after some EQing to tame the dark tone. Kept.
MW08 - never got a comfortable fit in my ears. Great sound but I never felt comfortable enough to relax into the sound. And no EQ?? Returned.
T5ii ANC - I really wanted to like these but made my ears hurt painfully. Tried returning them but Amazon rep said “dispose of them.” They are sitting in my desk.
B&O EQ - I kept returning to these. Connectivity with my iPhone and that bizarre case interior that made putting the buds away take ten minutes got them returned. Kinda pricey for that nonsense.
PI7 - blew me away on first listen with its instrumentation separation and clean sound. I could hear every single instrument and they were all missing something. It was like technique without soul. Cold as ice. Practically feature free too and was returned.

And then… the dawn came and sunlight filled my ears. I got the Shure Aonic Free. Separation, snappy bass, crisp but not painfully sibilant highs, rock-solid mids. I listen to tons of acid jazz, funk, funk jazz, and lots of 70s and 80s music. These handle all that plus my baroque classical and occasional Bowie, Kraftwerk, and their ilk. Yummy.
And yet it’s not enough. That led me to Shure TW Gen 2 adapters and a pair of Aonic 5s to go with them. Sublime. I’m wearing them right now as I write this… and tomorrow… I’ll receive my Dragonfly Carbon to fix and elevate the Apple Music streaming from my phone.
To quote David Byrne - “My god! What have I done?!”

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #39,397 of 62,092
Hi got the galaxy buds 2 lately. Im pretty happy with them for what they are. Was thinking about some upgrade tips and was looking for the azla crystals. Does someone have any experience with this combo? Are rhere sonic changes and is the fit better ? Are there any better options ?

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #39,398 of 62,092
Nice, I also got the blue ones, but I am still wondering if all blue are the 22 preset Aurora blue.
Also managed to get the Soundpeats H1 for 39.07$ … somehow I recall them being over 80$ usually?
Was contemplating the Edifier Neobuds but for weird reasons the official edifier store won’t ship THAT model to Japan! Other stores do but charge more
And for some strange reasons the liberty 3 pro are quite expensive on AliExpress …

To the best of my knowledge the Aurora blue is the only blue in their lineup and should have the presets.
Hopefully you got them from a reputable dealer so it's not a Chinese clone.

Nov 16, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #39,399 of 62,092
Just got the Tanchjim Echo TWS in----very impressive, They are very small and lightweight, super comfortable and have a very strong, rich full sound.
Also received Moondrop Sparks in the mail today ( I know wth? ) Amazon had them for 15% off and I had $ 53 amazon credit on my prime card---so got the Sparks for $ 24--figured what the hell. I like the Sparks comfort and relaxed sound--the Echo is way better sound quality--another level up.
List price on the Echo is $ 99 now and the Sparks is $ 89 usd------I would get the Echo NOW as it may be an introductory price to entice sales-----:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #39,400 of 62,092
Just got the Tanchjim Echo TWS in----very impressive, They are very small and lightweight, super comfortable and have a very strong, rich full sound.
Also received Moondrop Sparks in the mail today ( I know wth? ) Amazon had them for 15% off and I had $ 53 amazon credit on my prime card---so got the Sparks for $ 24--figured what the hell. I like the Sparks comfort and relaxed sound--the Echo is way better sound quality--another level up.
List price on the Echo is $ 99 now and the Sparks is $ 89 usd------I would get the Echo NOW as it may be an introductory price to entice sales-----:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Is there a Tanchjim app for the Echo?

Nov 17, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #39,402 of 62,092
I have the Falcon Pro-- not quite ready to buy this , Maybe at some point get a used one down the line---

https://headfonics.com/noble-audio-fokus-pro-review/
I have falcon pro as well. I normally pick my Sony xm4 over it due to more musicality to my ears, but I do like the Falcon Pro still. IMO the Fokus Pro beats them both for sure. I'm figuring out purchases for next couple months and then probably going to end up with it, lol. I've purchased galaxy buds pro, xm4, galaxy buds live, and falcon pro all within the last 7 months.

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #39,403 of 62,092
I am thinking of buying the Sennheiser MTW2.

They would be my first TWS iems, I have some questions:

- Is the normal 5V 2A smartphone charger suitable for charging?

- Is it compatible with UAPP, Qobuz and Tidal?

- I've read complaints about the volume, what do you think? I also listen to older music recorded at lower volumes, not just modern music.

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #39,404 of 62,092
I got the AZ60 a couple weeks ago and my initial impressions were good sound (when EQed) and excellent ANC. The ANC is mostly good, but the places where it breaks down are really rough. Unfortunately, I tried them in wind… and oof, that’s just not great. It’s especially bad with sustained winds — do you know that feeling when you’re driving on the highway and someone opens one window but the others are all closed? That’s what the AZ60 do.

See the WF-1000XM4 on sale in Canada for $350. But I am still leaning toward the AZ60. I keep reading reviews where they say the Sony are more musical. But I struggle because I find the 1000XM3 to dark and the XM4 is supposed to be even darker sounding. So how does that translate to more musical?

Sony holds the edge is features and ANC but aside from that the AZ60 seems to offer what I think would be a better music experience.

Has anyone tried the AZ60 in wind? Technics claims they have resolved wind issues which is a HUGE thing for me as I live in a place with lots of wind. So I want a headphone that blocks the wind when listening to music and when on the phone.

I have the AZ70 and find it is OK with wind when listening to music but generally have to disable ANC in anything above low wind level or the wind messes with the mics. Still it is better then the WF-1000XM3. I also have the Samsung Buds Pro which handles wind very well but has less effective ANC.

That said, the AZ60 are the first TWS where I can actually listen to music and enjoy it (using the dynamic EQ settings). They’re nowhere close to my favorite wired IEMs, of course (Xelento and Sine i3), but definitely passable and the ANC is really close to good enough to make them my go-to.

I'm actually going back and forth with the XM4 and AZ60s today. I prefer the sound of the AZ60. ANC is great on both. I've never had good luck with wind and ANC headphones, so I always turn off the ANC. But we don't have gusty winds here in Los Angeles often. AZ60 buds are a bit smaller than the XM4. Sony has a few other features that for me, might sway one who had neither - wireless charging and auto pause when you take the buds out. Plus a slew of other tech features. Don't get me wrong, the Technics are great. It was only a matter of time before Sony and Technics nailed it. Both of these are great choice, with the AZ60 having an edge for music. I'm sure the next gen of these will be even better.

The other problem I have with the AZ60 is that I really don’t like their touch targets for control. It’s hard to adjust them at all without stopping the music or causing some other issue. I use my Apple Watch pretty much exclusively for pause/resume/rewind/ff with these because I don’t like the touch interface at all.

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #39,405 of 62,092
I got the AZ60 a couple weeks ago and my initial impressions were good sound (when EQed) and excellent ANC. The ANC is mostly good, but the places where it breaks down are really rough. Unfortunately, I tried them in wind… and oof, that’s just not great. It’s especially bad with sustained winds — do you know that feeling when you’re driving on the highway and someone opens one window but the others are all closed? That’s what the AZ60 do.

That said, the AZ60 are the first TWS where I can actually listen to music and enjoy it (using the dynamic EQ settings). They’re nowhere close to my favorite wired IEMs, of course (Xelento and Sine i3), but definitely passable and the ANC is really close to good enough to make them my go-to.

The other problem I have with the AZ60 is that I really don’t like their touch targets for control. It’s hard to adjust them at all without stopping the music or causing some other issue. I use my Apple Watch pretty much exclusively for pause/resume/rewind/ff with these because I don’t like the touch interface at all.
The AZ60's are a quality set. I can easily pick apart places in the spectrum where these lack but as a whole they are nice. I have battled myself over keeping them or taking them back and for whatever reason I just like them. They re not the best sounding TWS out there but they certainly are way above average and closer to the top 15% out there... In my opinion. They have very nice clarity on simple tracks and get a bit choked up as things get complicated but still they are very nice sounding. They have a slew of features and deliver pretty well. I am on a constant search to shore up all of my methods of listening to music with something in which I absolutely love. Constantly searching out iems/dongle/dacs/amps etc. but tws I have had a harder time finding my perfect set. I suppose that is because there really isnt one in existence yet. Anyways, I'm just agreeing on your take of these... With some much needed eq the AZ60's are a nice set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back