Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 7, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #39,136 of 62,670
Also, while I am here, the Padmate Pamu Z1 in blue:

IMG_0114.jpg
IMG_0124.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg

graph.png

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #39,138 of 62,670
Specs looks completely identical to the Soundpeats H1. Literally just $5 cheaper and with stems. Would be very interested in a comparison.
There are some likenesses. The H1 have a very boosted subbass that borders on offensive on some tracks - it can be tamed with the EQ of course, but otherwise they sound great, pretty neutral.

The Onyx Prime are boosted all across the lower frequencies. It's less smooth in the higher frequencies than the H1, a little more clarity but less detail, in fact they're arguably harsher in the trebles.

Only been testing for a few hours so just initial impressions so far.

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #39,139 of 62,670
There are some likenesses. The H1 have a very boosted subbass that borders on offensive on some tracks - it can be tamed with the EQ of course, but otherwise they sound great, pretty neutral.

The Onyx Prime are boosted all across the lower frequencies. It's less smooth in the higher frequencies than the H1, a little more clarity but less detail, in fact they're arguably harsher in the trebles.

Only been testing for a few hours so just initial impressions so far.
Thank you! Will be interesting to hear about the fit and call quality. I suspect those will be the primary differentiators.

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #39,140 of 62,670
So I've spent a few days with the Comfobuds Pro now, and honestly: I like them.
They sound decent (okay, they sound better than good) but not fantastic, more bass than I expected. They never sound harsh which is cool, but they do lack a bit of sparkle and detail in the mids for me. Extremely comfortable though, and the mic seems very capable.

ANC is okay, but i'm going to see if I can some slightly better sound and ANC if I switch tips, none of the ones included are large enough for my ears. They fit and stay in place, and maybe this is sort of the way they're supposed to fit (i'm not used to buds that aren't meant to fit deep in your ear canal honestly) but i'd like a bit more seal.

Overall they serve their purpose really well right now, letting my ears rest a bit from the Devialet Geminis that are absolute earwreckers for me even if I like how they sound. For the price they are a steal, and if I wasn't such an annoying TWS-fanboy chasing perfection where none can be had, I could easily see myself being content with these as my daily drivers.
Glad you like them. I believe the sparkle and the highs related to the tips. The stock tips are a bit finicky and I tried tip rolling as they will take standard tips as well and highs were nice and crisp. The bass will mellow down I believe. That’s how I felt with mine.
When you go to the app they have the burn-in option, 4 different cycles I believe so it’s worth a shot.
Like you I was a bit surprised with the fit as these don’t go deep to your ear canal as they just sit there pretty shallow took me 2-3 days to get the hang of it but sound wise compared to what I currently use I find them excellent and detailed enough for my liking.
Another thing to try is the different modes. Each mode impacts the sound a little bit. I’ll do some a/b’ing tonight but I’m pretty sure the Comfobuds Pro beats the Sennheiser CX 400BT and the Fiil T1XS in details. In the past I compared them to the CA MT and the Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro Plus and the Comfobuds Pro were much more to my liking.

Edit: Just to add, I’m also very treble sensitive so I enjoy the sparkle but it’s well within my comfort zone. Some may prefer brighter highs however for me it’s just right as it’s non-fatiguing but doesn’t sound like dark at all.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #39,141 of 62,670
Glad you like them. I believe the sparkle and the highs related to the tips. The stock tips are a bit finicky and I tried tip rolling as they will take standard tips as well and highs were nice and crisp. The bass will mellow down I believe. That’s how I felt with mine.
When you go to the app they have the burn-in option, 4 different cycles I believe so it’s worth a shot.
Like you I was a bit surprised with the fit as these don’t go deep to your ear canal as they just sit there pretty shallow took me 2-3 days to get the hang of it but sound wise compared to what I currently use I find them excellent and detailed enough for my liking.
Another thing to try is the different modes. Each mode impacts the sound a little bit. I’ll do some a/b’ing tonight but I’m pretty sure the Comfobuds Pro beats the Sennheiser CX 400BT and the Fiil T1XS in details. In the past I compared them to the CA MT and the Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro Plus and the Comfobuds Pro were much more to my liking.

Edit: Just to add, I’m also very treble sensitive so I enjoy the sparkle but it’s well within my comfort zone. Some may prefer brighter highs however for me it’s just right as it’s non-fatiguing but doesn’t sound like dark at all.
Yeah it could be! The standard tips are okay in all honesty but a bit confusing in sizing because they have 4 different included tips right? And one set of the tips seem to be a lot more "flat" and wide while the rest are a bit more average/normal.
I needed to wear different tips for my ears too, so I'm thinking about getting some new tips next month or so. Not sure if i'm going Spinfits or AZLA though.

I haven't tried the CX 400BT, but I just tried the Sennheiser MTW2's and then switched back to the Comfobuds and the Sennheisers just STOMP the Comfobuds into the ground on details and I just feel like I can "feel" the music so much more on the Sennheisers.
For some reason I don't 100% love the MTW2's sound all throughout its range, but there is something about the soundstage and clarity in those that are way beyond anything else i've heard in a TWS. I've put them up for sale and i'm kinda sad about seeing them go because I just love the sound even if it has points I don't love with the sound itself (slightly too sibilant, slightly off-sounding upper mids I _think_. ), not so sure about what I think about it overall as TWS earbuds though.

I think male vocals sound better or at least more present on the Comfobuds but those areas that are just above it with synths just sound so much better on the Senns.
I do think the Comfobuds are overall a lot less likely to present the music in any sort of offensive way and that's a damn solid thing to do, and few earbuds that succeed with in my opinion. I really like the warmth and comforting sound of these, but the soundstage is slightly too narrow and the clarity is a few notches from what I would've wanted.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #39,142 of 62,670
To continue my previous post:

I would love to hear which TWS's that really make you guys FEEL the music the most? Weird question but i'm just curious because i'm looking for something to replace my Sennheiser MTW2's with later this year, and those are the earbuds that gets me the most moist :ksc75smile: in all my orifices honestly. The Devialet Geminis don't come close to it to me even if I love them for electronic music with that thumping bass, and the Sony WF-1000XM4's that i've seen people say makes them feel stuff just left me completely cold and uninterested no matter how much I EQ'd them.

I just love the airy yet crystal-clear quality of the mids and highs on the Sennheisers even though though they sometime sound lacking in presence, I guess? The bass is also sometimes lacking in my opinion, probably wouldn't be if I could EQ it properly on an Android phone, but I feel like it's just sub bass and very little mid-bass presence which is somewhat my preference but not at this imbalance.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #39,143 of 62,670

Excited to hear about this approach, I am back after a long hiatus due to ear issues. I have learned from my experience that the deep canal buds are not the best for a healthy ear. It appears that the outer ear fitment is being embraced by a lot of companies. I really wanted the Sony WF-100XM4 s. They are so great on paper but for me a huge let down. Sound and ANC are great...as long as you shove them down in your ear and keep fiddling with them which leads to fatigue and discomfort. My personal idea of great earbuds is to pop them in, get lost in the music, and stop critiquing. I value reviewers that say they keep grabbing a particular pair above the many others in their collection just because they work for them. For me that has been the Galaxy Buds Live, probably because of the semi open design.

Anyway, just received the Beats Fit Pro. They seat securely on the outside of the ear canal and use a little wing for additional support although I'm pretty sure you could just cut that part off if you aren't using them for back flips. So far they are better for sound, ANC, and comfort than the Sony s simply because they are easy to put in and forget they are there. As always I don't claim to be an Audio File, all our ears are different but I do know when sound is an intriguing experience.

Nov 8, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #39,144 of 62,670
Technics AZ60 are really really good!:) Here is my take:

- Mids on the level of B&O EQ. Just beautiful.
- Midbass is quite elevated, a bit too much for me but EQ can fix that.
- Sub-bass is there, but could have used more sub bass than excessively elevated mid-bass imo.
- Treble is there. Not sparkly/splashy but just enough.
- These have freaking MUTE shortcut when on a phone call !!!!!
- Microphone on these is extremely good for phone calls. These and Liberty 3 Pros have best microphones imo
- Holy cow these are LOUD.
- Soundstage is good but not as wide as Libery 3 Pro
- ANC is very very good. No complaints.
- Transparency is good but not completely natural sounding. Much better than Liberty 3 Pro. Hopefully firmware updates will make it even better.
- LDAC + multipoint + good mic + mute shortcut make these the most complete TWS imo
- Case seems flimsy but I like that it is tiny.

The only two issues I am having with these is:
1. Right bud drains a lot faster than left bud. Almost 20% difference
2. If you customize left bud to have ANC/transparency on single tap and right bud for play/pause track, for some reason, the single tap does not work on right bud to play/pause tracks. And I did update to latest firmware but no luck... Default touch controls seem to work however.

Silver are fine but wish Amazon had the black color...

Thanks for the impressions on the AZ60. I understand that they're great for phone calls - is it still true outdoor with the usual noises (cars, wind, etc.) ?
I usually have the best results for phone calls with stems, where the mic is closer to the mouth. But if the AZ60 do the job correctly outside, I may take a pair.

Otherwise I think i'll consider the Comfobuds pro instead.

thanks

Edit: I'm coming from the Sony XM3 that I hate.. I find them big, ugly, and the fit is not great for me. Also, the call quality is not that great, I had a pair of SoundPeats Air3 that were way better for calls but that provided 0 isolation.
I also had that Grado gt220 for a while. Sound and fit were great but again, the mic was pretty useless and the controls were just impossible to use when it was cold outside... So looking for a new pair to replace these.
My use case is: good mic capacities so that I can take calls outside on the street, good isolation (active or passive) so that I can listen to music in the subway. If the SQ is great, all the better, so if you have any idea other than the AZ60 or the Comfobuds Pro...

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #39,145 of 62,670
The form factor looks awful. For $199, it's got to be a single driver 215-esque bud. I'll stick with my TW2 with the SE846 for now... until the itch takes over.
Back to eat my words. My wild TWS hair could not be controlled. I have to say, they are pretty much what the TW2s are sans the hook and the modular aspect. Shure Play app works flawlessly. Passthrough is great. Passive isolation is VERY good with the Comply tips they include. Fortunately, I'm a big Shure fan so I have a ton of tips to play with - Hey now. Soundstage is wide, clean. Bass is nice, hits great. Some sub bass in there that works well with my music of choice. I'm sure I can spend days tweaking the EQ but I what I use for my SE846 transferred over so that was great. They are smaller than I expected, smaller than the Bose QC and maybe the same size of the Sony XM3. Also, looks like they molded the shape of a Shure IEM on the back if you look closely. They fit me perfectly. Incredibly comfortable. I'll be testing them on calls later today, but I did record my voice using the Voice Memos app on my iPhone and sounded perfect/clear and louder than some other buds I own. Eventually, I'll do a few mile walk outdoors to test BT connection. Zero BT issues here working from home. No, they do not have better sound than my SE846 of course, but they do hold their own. Incredibly curious if these are just a reworked SE215. To me, they sound BETTER. Listening to a lot of 80s metal today and they are delightful. Immersive. Case is big but feels solid and has a nice padded snap when closed. Plastic is on par with the TW2 case, not cheap, but still plastic. No wireless charging, but the buds do have all the features I need, including volume control. One feature I love with the TW2 and these Aonic Free is when you pause music, transparency kicks on.

Attachments

• IMG_8715_conv (3).jpg
    IMG_8715_conv (3).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8716_conv (4).jpg
    IMG_8716_conv (4).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8718_conv (1).jpg
    IMG_8718_conv (1).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8717_conv (2).jpg
    IMG_8717_conv (2).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 8, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #39,147 of 62,670
Welcome back @erockg

Have you checked out the new Grell Audio TW1?
https://grellaudio.com/en

They are deffo the most interesting upcoming TWS imo:
* Qualcomm 5141 SoC
*First Qualcomm TWS with multipoint
*Unique design
* Made by a Former Sennheiser engineer
I have seen them out there. I'm sure I'll try them out once they're available here in the US :beerchug:

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #39,148 of 62,670
Back to eat my words. My wild TWS hair could not be controlled. I have to say, they are pretty much what the TW2s are sans the hook and the modular aspect. Shure Play app works flawlessly. Passthrough is great. Passive isolation is VERY good with the Comply tips they include. Fortunately, I'm a big Shure fan so I have a ton of tips to play with - Hey now. Soundstage is wide, clean. Bass is nice, hits great. Some sub bass in there that works well with my music of choice. I'm sure I can spend days tweaking the EQ but I what I use for my SE846 transferred over so that was great. They are smaller than I expected, smaller than the Bose QC and maybe the same size of the Sony XM3. Also, looks like they molded the shape of a Shure IEM on the back if you look closely. They fit me perfectly. Incredibly comfortable. I'll be testing them on calls later today, but I did record my voice using the Voice Memos app on my iPhone and sounded perfect/clear and louder than some other buds I own. Eventually, I'll do a few mile walk outdoors to test BT connection. Zero BT issues here working from home. No, they do not have better sound than my SE846 of course, but they do hold their own. Incredibly curious if these are just a reworked SE215. To me, they sound BETTER. Listening to a lot of 80s metal today and they are delightful. Immersive. Case is big but feels solid and has a nice padded snap when closed. Plastic is on par with the TW2 case, not cheap, but still plastic. No wireless charging, but the buds do have all the features I need, including volume control. One feature I love with the TW2 and these Aonic Free is when you pause music, transparency kicks on.
Thanks for being the guinea pig. :) Can't be just a 215. Even if they matched the 215 wired sound that was a little overpriced for $99. Don't think you would be that impressed if they were. Still too big and I doubt they would be good for me out at the park esp. with the fall winds with that shape. Cool that they auto ambient since why not? No reason not to. Does the case take other types of tips?

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #39,149 of 62,670
Hello. I have never bought a TWS and I am looking to get something up to £100 and I've read many (though not every) pages in this thread, a bunch of reviews on YouTube and Reddit, and it has helped me make a short list, but I need a nudge in the right direction.

For a start I would like to point out that I am looking for a TWS mainly for commuting, outdoor, and exercise use, and I want to be confident that they will stay in my ear when I am jogging.

As for sound preference, I tend to favour something that is a bit more airy, wider soundstage, neutral sounding (leaning towards brighter than darker), with tight punchy bass (I suspect that I prefer less bass than average).. though I understand (or at least do not expect) too much of that of that airy, wide soundstage in an earbuds.

SQ, and exercise suitability are the priority. Call quality etc. would be nice to have, but secondary in importance.
IPX rating wise, the more the better IMO since I will be using it for exercise / outdoor.
aptX Adaptive, or some kind of low latency mode would be nice to have but again secondary.

Here are my current shortlist in order of current preference on paper based on what I have read:

- Lypertek PurePlay Z3 2.0 (I like what I read about the sound, long battery life, IPX7. One thing I would like to confirm is whether the fit is suitable for exercise).
- Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch (Less IPX rating is a pity, but is it true that the wings help stay in the ears more? And how does the sound, in particularly soundstage compare to the Z3. Some concerns about connectivity issues some people seem to be encountering. On the other hand, I can find it more discounted than any other on this list)
- Edifier NeoBuds Pro (Throwing it in the list because I've read some YT reviewers saying very good things about it, but I haven't seen it compared to the Z3 or the Melomania Touch)
- Moondrop Sparks (No IPX rating almost rule it out, but I would still like to know how the sound compares to the other TWS)

I have one more question. AFAIK, the Qualcomm QCC3040 SoC supports aptX Adaptive, but I have seen some TWS with that chip that list support for Adaptive, and others that do not. Are there more requirements than just having a SoC that supports Adaptive for the TWS to support Adaptive? (Assuming of course that the connected device also supports it).

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #39,150 of 62,670
Hello. I have never bought a TWS and I am looking to get something up to £100 and I've read many (though not every) pages in this thread, a bunch of reviews on YouTube and Reddit, and it has helped me make a short list, but I need a nudge in the right direction.

For a start I would like to point out that I am looking for a TWS mainly for commuting, outdoor, and exercise use, and I want to be confident that they will stay in my ear when I am jogging.

As for sound preference, I tend to favour something that is a bit more airy, wider soundstage, neutral sounding (leaning towards brighter than darker), with tight punchy bass (I suspect that I prefer less bass than average).. though I understand (or at least do not expect) too much of that of that airy, wide soundstage in an earbuds.

SQ, and exercise suitability are the priority. Call quality etc. would be nice to have, but secondary in importance.
IPX rating wise, the more the better IMO since I will be using it for exercise / outdoor.
aptX Adaptive, or some kind of low latency mode would be nice to have but again secondary.

Here are my current shortlist in order of current preference on paper based on what I have read:

- Lypertek PurePlay Z3 2.0 (I like what I read about the sound, long battery life, IPX7. One thing I would like to confirm is whether the fit is suitable for exercise).
- Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch (Less IPX rating is a pity, but is it true that the wings help stay in the ears more? And how does the sound, in particularly soundstage compare to the Z3. Some concerns about connectivity issues some people seem to be encountering. On the other hand, I can find it more discounted than any other on this list)
- Edifier NeoBuds Pro (Throwing it in the list because I've read some YT reviewers saying very good things about it, but I haven't seen it compared to the Z3 or the Melomania Touch)
- Moondrop Sparks (No IPX rating almost rule it out, but I would still like to know how the sound compares to the other TWS)

I have one more question. AFAIK, the Qualcomm QCC3040 SoC supports aptX Adaptive, but I have seen some TWS with that chip that list support for Adaptive, and others that do not. Are there more requirements than just having a SoC that supports Adaptive for the TWS to support Adaptive? (Assuming of course that the connected device also supports it).
The Hakii Action check most of the boxes. Havit/Hakii is a well regarded brand actually, gaming mode, IPX7, tighter punchy bass with the DLC driver, open sound, gonna stay put, and the price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back