Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 10, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #38,281 of 62,380
I hear you.
I can’t use the Aurpods as no matter what tips I tried they don’t stay in my ears.
I use the 85t for calls and car (mute during calls is a huge help). But beyond audiobooks I just can’t use them for music.
I have tried all tips I could think of with the devialet. Right now I’m using the Spiral Dots ++ MS and can listen for about an hour before pain start to mount.
I switched my tips on my APP and use ePro tips on them now with an adapter. I had the 85t's and I just never seem to like the Jabra sound. Devialet stock L tips work well for me. Sounds like you have some fit issues with buds. You might want to try the Klipsch. They go deeper into your ears and might fit better. It's all trial and error. That's what makes the hobby fun :)

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #38,282 of 62,380
Also, to update on my Devialet Gemini experience so far:

After playing around with the EQ a bit and just in general trying to get used to them I've realized something, most of these will be comparisons with the MTW2's that I used as my daily driver before. Also had the Sony XM4's (which I didn't really like much at all) and SoundPeats H1, T2, Earfun Free Pro OE, some LG's, and i've demoed quite a few more, but the comparison will first and foremost be with the MTW2's.

- The sound is excellent when listening to more bass-focused genres like some electronic genres, or actually overall synth/electronic-based production, not only bass-focused genres. The MTW2's sound better when it comes to more acoustic, clean guitar-based and vocal-driven music. That's not to say that it sounds bad with any of these types of music, and it's POSSIBLE that I could EQ them further to closer match the sound that I get from the MTW2's (that's not to say that I want them to sound exactly like the MTW2's either, they have their own set of shortcomings), I've however found an EQ setting that I like for most music so I will try to stay with that for the time being.
I feel like I've had issues finding an EQ that retains the heavy bass but still brings enough clarity for vocals and more organic sounding production without being too harsh in other ways. But I'll keep trying! I love the EQ in comparison to the Senns.

The good:

- The call quality is surprisingly really good, my dad said that he heard me extremely well and that it was probably the best he had heard out of my earbuds that I've owned, only issue being wind, but that's an issue for most if not all earbuds at least to an extent, honestly.

- I like the ambient mode a lot too, it lets in a lot of sound and I can clearly have conversations with people when wearing them, and out of the earbuds I've owned I think it's the closest ones I've had to being able to feel like i'm listening to music from speakers in the background but still being able to hear stuff around me as if I wasn't wearing earbuds. Like it's not 100% and I think there are buds that are better at this than the Gemini's, but it's the best that i've tried.

- I was worried that they would be a pain pairing with my phone even though the previous issues. but they were really simple and fast to set up.

The bad:

- The case size is less than ideal, but I knew this before so i'm not that mad about it, however I find the sliding lid to be quite annoying because it slides open quite a bit by itself!

- I've had some pain in my ears from them so far which is not a thing with the MTW2's, but it could be a question of letting the ears get used to the earbuds.

- The included eartips were not great in my opinion. I don't fare well when it comes to eartips that are too shallow in fit, I need longer tips that give me a deeper fit.

- They're supposed to have wireless charging from what i've read, but I can't seem to get it to charge with my charging pad.
Sorry you’re having so many issues. Some good observations…fwiw, if it helps, I can confirm that wireless charging works for me.

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #38,283 of 62,380
Sorry you’re having so many issues. Some good observations…fwiw, if it helps, I can confirm that wireless charging works for me.
I will concur the right vs. left drain is the current state of the Gemini. It's sometimes close, sometimes not so much, very occasionally Right straight to zero. There's definitely a bug here, but not crippling for me at least. However, they are reportedly aware of it, and given how game changing their last firmware drop was I think we have good reason to expect this to be fixed sometime in the future.

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #38,284 of 62,380
@erockg I also have charging issues with the Geminis. I have reset them in the past but that did not help.
I also still have ear pain with them. But they sound so much better than the XM4… though the XM4 are the most comfortable in my ears.
What would you suggest that sounds like the Geminis but might be more comfortable? NuraTrue? EQ? And how are they in the ambient sound and anc department?
EQ or PI7 although it's harder to recommend the PI7 if you are an iphone user unless you also are willing to spring for the creative adapter and a CCK Kit

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #38,285 of 62,380
EQ or PI7 although it's harder to recommend the PI7 if you are an iphone user unless you also are willing to spring for the creative adapter and a CCK Kit
Thank you. I’m not interested in a large solution - I have my Andromedas for that. I’m a bit afraid to try the EQs as I read about a lot of issues.
But maybe this is the way to go…

Oct 10, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #38,286 of 62,380
Thank you. I’m not interested in a large solution - I have my Andromedas for that. I’m a bit afraid to try the EQs as I read about a lot of issues.
But maybe this is the way to go
Unfortunately there is a correlation here. You do need some volume to get the best sound. It's not always the case however. I think with the 2 year warranty the EQ is a safe bet.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #38,287 of 62,380

Unfortunately there is a correlation here. You do need some volume to get the best sound. It's not always the case however. I think with the 2 year warranty thr EQ is a safe bet.
One additional note on the EQs, which the support tech could not explain, is their application can be selective on what it installs on. It would not install on my Android Walkman for some stupid reason. Was not a huge deal for me, but something to note.

Oct 10, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #38,288 of 62,380
You understood me. I was complaining mostly about Samsung who doesn't support either Adaptive or HD. Given Samsung sells like 5 out of 10 Android phones worldwide, it seems like Adaptive isn't really that prevalent. I do understand that other Android makers support it. As far as backwards compatibility, I'll see if that is right. I have a pixel that supports Aptx HD so I'll see if I can force Aptx HD on them. That would be cool and come to think of it, my PI7 does this as well.
Samsung typically uses a BT5.0 Murata Bluetooth/Wifi modem instead of Qualcomm on their phones (regardless of if you have Exynos or Qualcomm), including most of the S21 Series (which only support BT5.0 instead of taking advantage of Qualcomm's SoC supporting 5.2). Only the S21 Ultra has Bluetooth 5.2 and it appears to use a Samsung chip. I have no idea their reasoning but perhaps it's meant to work better with their own devices, and maybe implementing all Qualcomm features outside basic AptX may not be viable (though Huawei has AptX HD support on non-qualcomm devices). There was some discussion on the Samsung.eu forum where a dev support staff claimed AptX HD was too complicated to implement on the Note 9 and that they were considering implementing AptX Adaptive. However, Android 9 arrived without any of these features. It does seem like it is possible to add support unofficially (root probably needed though).

I'm more irritated they nerfed the SBC bitpool of all Galaxy Buds devices to 37, so they sound terrible if your device only supports SBC (Nintendo Switch, Windows 10). Fortunately Windows 11 Beta includes AAC but the system itself has some stability issues and not everyone is eligible for the update.

I'm rather disappointed by the performance of Scalable Codec on the Buds 2 with the Note 9. The treble distorts under certain conditions and the audio often speeds up and slows down. I had no such issues on the Buds+ but it is possible the new BT5.2 chip is not well-optimized for the older BT5.0 module of the Note 9. It seems to be worse when I have WiFi turned on, so the problem may have to do with interference. I haven't used LDAC devices in years but I recall my MDR-1000X would slow down my Wi-Fi speeds when using LDAC, but I never noticed drops in audio quality like this.

EDIT: It seems to me like these issues are more prevalent with Samsung Music than something like PowerAmp or YouTube music.

EDIT: S21 and S22 use Broadcom chips for Bluetooth and WiFi, not Samsung or Qualcomm.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #38,290 of 62,380
I've had my L3P's for a day now, and for me, they are better than the L2P's in almost every way.

They are smaller, lighter and more comfortable to wear (I always got some ear fatigue with the L2P's).

The touch controls work well and are pretty configurable

Volume wise, they are slightly (15% ish) louder than the L2P's.

Sound quality wise, they are a good bit better. I'm using LDAC with my HearID profile and am picking up details in songs
I listen to regularly that the L2P's apparently have been muting a little (particularity high hats and symbols in today's material)

The ANC seems to work ok. One thing it does pretty much remove is the 'thud,thud' you get in your ears when running.

The only thing I don't like is the case, the tactile finish on the L2P's case is far better.

Cheers

Macca

Oct 10, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #38,291 of 62,380
In market for a truly wireless iem. I'm considering B&O beoplay eq, B&W pi7, Sony xm4s and the klipsch McLaren.

Any recommendations?
All good choices each have strengths and weaknesses. What's important to you? Pure sound quality? Anc? All arounder features? Ios or android?

Oct 10, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #38,292 of 62,380
All good choices each have strengths and weaknesses. What's important to you? Pure sound quality? Anc? All arounder features? Ios or android?
Sound quality is more important than ANC. I have an original V1 JH Layla as my main IEM, but looking for a wireless option when I'm out and about. I would also like for it to have decent/good battery life and mic quality. Android.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #38,293 of 62,380
Sound quality is more important than ANC. I have an original V1 JH Layla as my main IEM, but looking for a wireless option when I'm out and about. I would also like for it to have decent/good battery life and mic quality. Android.
If battery life is important, the pi7 is probably not a great choice. Devialet Gemini or EQs are good choices. I like the Klipsch as well but I prefer the Gemini and EQ. The Sony is a great all arounder but most think the SQ is a step behind.

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #38,294 of 62,380
My B&O EQs still act weird and increase/decrease volume on their own and I only get sound from either left or right buds at times. Also, mic quality on these during phone calls is horrible. Everyone says I sound VERY distant. I have to do a special dance and tilt my head a certain way to be heard properly. Going to exchange these under warranty hoping this is just a bad pair.

Placed a pre-order for Soundcore L3P based on hype from the YouTubers. Back go my trust Senny MTW2 in the meantime.

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #38,295 of 62,380
My B&O EQs still act weird and increase/decrease volume on their own and I only get sound from either left or right buds at times. Also, mic quality on these during phone calls is horrible. Everyone says I sound VERY distant. I have to do a special dance and tilt my head a certain way to be heard properly. Going to exchange these under warranty hoping this is just a bad pair.

Placed a pre-order for Soundcore L3P based on hype from the YouTubers. Back go my trust Senny MTW2 in the meantime.
Bummer. Yeah and mine crapped the bed too. Perhaps I should stop recommending them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back