Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 25, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #36,571 of 62,402
Mediocre is probably inaccurate but i understand your point. Several of us here would (maybe not 1k) but certainly 500 to 600. Someone will do it eventually. At this point we have multi driver setups and we have LDAC so really just need someone to put them together and make a truly high end device.
I suspect it’s going to be a slippery slop. When I got into this hobby spending $400 on a set of multi driver IEMs was considered to be the high tier and very close to top of the line but nowadays $400 IEMs are more like mid tier as so many manufacturers are offering super expensive stuff that arguably hit the spot of diminishing returns. I fear the TWS is gonna end up the same but the main difference for me is that TWS are disposable once the battery can no longer hold a proper charge.

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #36,572 of 62,402
I suspect it’s going to be a slippery slop. When I got into this hobby spending $400 on a set of multi driver IEMs was considered to be the high tier and very close to top of the line but nowadays $400 IEMs are more like mid tier as so many manufacturers are offering super expensive stuff that arguably hit the spot of diminishing returns. I fear the TWS is gonna end up the same but the main difference for me is that TWS are disposable once the battery can no longer hold a proper charge.
True battery is an issue for sure but there’s no reason why they couldn’t be replaceable in a high tws. A similar dilemma for expensive BT headphones. Maybe design and engineering challenges may make battery replacements more difficult for TWS?

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #36,573 of 62,402
Yeah I actually saw those but they cost almost $450 where i'm at, but I guess I could order from Hifiman right away, a bit worried about the possibility of having to pay import taxes and stuff like that though. They're slightly above my budget though but I will for sure keep them in mind. Got my 30th birthday coming up in about a month and a half so I guess I could put it on my wish list :)

Also people, you know what? I just spoke so warmly about my Sennheiser earbuds... YOU KNOW WHAT, that romance is ****ing over now. When i first got them, I had to send them in for repairs after an hour of use. Got them back after they replaced the left earbud, started slowly loving them more. Now the OTHER earbud stopped working in a similar fashion, in exactly the same way. I was just adjusting them in my ear and the sound cut out. They still respond to touch gestures but output no sound. I will have to do the same thing and wait a month to get them replaced now most likely. I'M MAD. Really mad. DDDD:
Did you just send one bed in or both? Last time my case broke on my original MTWs, I sent everything (i.e. both buds and the case) in and they sent me back a new sealed set.

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #36,574 of 62,402
interested in trying the z7 out with so many mentioning it been one of the best. i thought they came with EQ? cant you just tweak it?
Yes, the app has a nice 7-band EQ.
My problem with the imbalance/limited treble on the left bud, couldn't be tweaked with an EQ.
Everything is good now, with a new "protection piece" (as mentioned in my post) set in place.
Pros: They sound very good. Comfortable. Rock solid connection. Great battery life. Buttons that works very well, controls everything. App with EQ. AAC and aptX.
Cons: Big case. Broad stem that doesn't fit many 3. party tips, and could break if you're not careful. They stick out of the ear a bit. No ANC. Mediocre hearthrough function.

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #36,576 of 62,402
Yes, the app has a nice 7-band EQ.
My problem with the imbalance/limited treble on the left bud, couldn't be tweaked with an EQ.
Everything is good now, with a new "protection piece" (as mentioned in my post) set in place.
Pros: They sound very good. Comfortable. Rock solid connection. Great battery life. Buttons that works very well, controls everything. App with EQ. AAC and aptX.
Cons: Big case. Broad stem that doesn't fit many 3. party tips, and could break if you're not careful. They stick out of the ear a bit. No ANC. Mediocre hearthrough function.

so the Z7 currently is better than the M&D MW08S you mentioned previously?

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #36,578 of 62,402
I'm probably selling my XM4's later this week and keeping the Sennheiser MTW2's.

I've tried using the Sony's after using the Sennheisers and they just don't sound as good to me as the Sennheiser, I've tried different tips and I just can't get the Sony's to sound anywhere near as good (important: for my ears), which is so weird based on how much I disliked the Sennheisers when I got them and felt like the Sony's were "just right" when I first started using them. It's sad to me because I much prefer the size and shape of the Sony case, and the technology inside is just... yeah, more up to date, and I obviously feel like they're going to be improved a lot with software updates in the future.

But i'm still craving something new, and I want something even better... Where do I go from here? I want to spend like $200-300 tops, thinking if I should get a pair of wired open-back headphones, or just over-ear BT headphones... or a new pair of TWS, but not sure how much better I can get for that price. The Devialets are just over my budget, possibly thinking the new Klipsch... but not sure if that's going to be enough to warrant an upgrade.
Tried both the Klipsch T5 II ANC and Devialet (same $300 in US), and while I thought the Klipsch were going to be my new buds, once I tried the Gemini I changed my mind fairly quickly. That said, they are both great. I was constantly trying to get fit right with Klipsch, despite a pretty good seal

Edit: nor do I have golden ears

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #36,579 of 62,402
so the Z7 currently is better than the M&D MW08S you mentioned previously?
After listening a couple of hours today, this is my placement sound wise.
1. XM4 (with Final E Type tips) - Most balanced. Punchiest bass, most detailed and crisp highs.
2. Pureplay Z7 (sounds good with Final E - Spinfit - JVC Spiral Dots) - They are still somewhat darker/warmer than the others, included the APP and MTW2.
3. MW08S (due to the oval and big stem, I've just tested with the included tips (foam and silicone)) - 3. place mostly because of too much bass with Max ANC, and not have the possibility to EQ it.

But the difference is marginal. So marginal that the features you want and/or price decides what you choose.
Fit, ANC, Ambient mode, Battery life, Case size, Codecs, Looks/Build quality etc etc

I actually think I'll keep the MW08S for the total package.
I'll keep the Sony because of the SQ, and it's great using toghether with my BTA30 and LDAC codec.
I will also keep my Airpods Pro. My goto buds for phone calls, watching series/movies from Apple TV 4k with Spatial Audio and I love the fit/comfort, the small case etc.. The most versatile buds IMO. They sound good as well with the ePro horn shaped tips. (AP00)

I guess I'm selling the MTW2 and the Z7.

Remember, this is my experience, with my ears :)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #36,581 of 62,402
After listening a couple of hours today, this is my placement sound wise.
1. XM4 (with Final E Type tips) - Most balanced. Punchiest bass, most detailed and crisp highs.
2. Pureplay Z7 (sounds good with Final E - Spinfit - JVC Spiral Dots) - They are still somewhat darker/warmer than the others, included the APP and MTW2.
3. MW08S (due to the oval and big stem, I've just tested with the included tips (foam and silicone)) - 3. place mostly because of too much bass with Max ANC, and not have the possibility to EQ it.
For me, the XM4s were average/pretty good SQ until I put the Finals on them. *note, I hate foam tips, so did not try them* After that, those tips will have to fall off on their own as I won't be taking them off :) Same as you though, my ears are not golden, so I am sure other opinions exist.

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #36,582 of 62,402
A little sidenote and shout out for the Airpods Pro.
I returned 3 sets manufactured before October 2020. All lost bass, ANC got weak, fit test went yellow etc..
But then they did some tiny modifications with them after Oct. 2020...
My last set is made January 2021, and has been great! NO hickups what so ever!

And as I've said a couple of times now, I love them with the ePro tips.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #36,583 of 62,402
For me, the XM4s were average/pretty good SQ until I put the Finals on them. *note, I hate foam tips, so did not try them* After that, those tips will have to fall off on their own as I won't be taking them off :) Same as you though, my ears are not golden, so I am sure other opinions exist.
It's funny you say that because the Final tips and the old Sony tips I have are identical. Final literally just molded a Sony clone. Years ago, the Sony tips were the ones everyone tried to find. They must have gone out of print and then Final solved that problem. Check out the pic. Can you tell which one is which, if you didn't see the inside color? :smile_phones:

Attachments

• IMG_7395.JPG
    IMG_7395.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #36,584 of 62,402
True battery is an issue for sure but there’s no reason why they couldn’t be replaceable in a high tws. A similar dilemma for expensive BT headphones. Maybe design and engineering challenges may make battery replacements more difficult for TWS?
I believe the battery is indeed the main issue. With BT headphones it’s a similar issue however most models will give you a cable option too so if the battery goes out you’re still left with something to play around with at least :)

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #36,585 of 62,402
It's funny you say that because the Final tips and the old Sony tips I have are identical. Final literally just molded a Sony clone. Years ago, the Sony tips were the ones everyone tried to find. They must have gone out of print and then Final solved that problem. Check out the pic. Can you tell which one is which, if you didn't see the inside color? :smile_phones:
Now that is funny 😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Back