Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 25, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #36,586 of 62,436
Did you just send one bed in or both? Last time my case broke on my original MTWs, I sent everything (i.e. both buds and the case) in and they sent me back a new sealed set.
I sent both in with the case and everything, and they only replaced the non-functioning left earbud.
So now we'll see if they'll replace more than just the right one. I asked to get a new pair but I doubt they will listen to that request.

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #36,587 of 62,436
True battery is an issue for sure but there’s no reason why they couldn’t be replaceable in a high tws. A similar dilemma for expensive BT headphones. Maybe design and engineering challenges may make battery replacements more difficult for TWS?
I do know that our favorite Devialet Gemini have a replaceable battery in the case. If you pop it upside down, there is a screw. Not sure what it takes, but they do advertise that feature. It's a step!

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #36,588 of 62,436
A little sidenote and shout out for the Airpods Pro.
I returned 3 sets manufactured before October 2020. All lost bass, ANC got weak, fit test went yellow etc..
But then they did some tiny modifications with them after Oct. 2020...
My last set is made January 2021, and has been great! NO hickups what so ever!

And as I've said a couple of times now, I love them with the ePro tips.
Can you link me to the tips? I've been using Spinfits on my Airpods Pro and loving it. But would like to see these ePro tips you're talking about. Thanks!

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #36,589 of 62,436
Aug 25, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #36,590 of 62,436
TWS are becoming a problem as traditional IEM's :), current picture did not include my Grados as my son is using them

As of today,

On Sound:
  1. B&O
  2. Devialet
  3. STW2
  4. MW08
  5. AKG N400/PI7
On Noise Cancelling:
  1. Sony
  2. MW08
  3. STW2
  4. Devialet
  5. PI7
APP
  1. Sony
  2. CA MT
  3. B&O
  4. STW2
  5. AKG
Case
  1. B&O
  2. MW08
  3. Sony
  4. PI7
  5. CA MT

IMG_20210825_104201.jpg

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #36,591 of 62,436
TWS are becoming a problem as traditional IEM's :), current picture did not include my Grados as my son is using them

As of today,

On Sound:
  1. B&O
  2. Devialet
  3. STW2
  4. MW08
  5. AKG N400/PI7
On Noise Cancelling:
  1. Sony
  2. MW08
  3. STW2
  4. Devialet
  5. PI7
APP
  1. Sony
  2. CA MT
  3. B&O
  4. STW2
  5. AKG
Case
  1. B&O
  2. MW08
  3. Sony
  4. PI7
  5. CA MT

IMG_20210825_104201.jpg
nice collection. :)

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #36,593 of 62,436
Aug 25, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #36,594 of 62,436
These are the ones I used on my MTs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LPV19KK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but would definitely like to try out their airpods pro version.
Here's what I did to my APP. The little adapters on the buds themselves don't seem to be in stock on Amazon anymore, but I'm sure there are others.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085M2TDJN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJNHM3Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• IMG_7396.JPG
    IMG_7396.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7398.JPG
    IMG_7398.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7397.JPG
    IMG_7397.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Aug 25, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #36,596 of 62,436
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #36,597 of 62,436
Aug 25, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #36,598 of 62,436
The ePro is built on the same principle. The silicone tip with the horn shape is mounted on an oval adapter.
Very cool. Maybe I don't need them then. Thanks for the info!

Aug 25, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #36,599 of 62,436
M&D MW08S - Thoughts after a couple of hours use.

Pros:
- Beautiful looks and build quality.
- Case also looks and feels great, ok size but still the XM4 and APP case is way smaller (and lighter).
- Sound is good, better than Z7 and MTW2 I think, but not spectacular (tested with Foam L and the pre mounted silicone tip).
- They fit me very good and are comfortable to wear.
- I like the buttons, and they control everything. Also volume and ANC/Ambient on/off.
- AAC and AptX Adaptive codecs.
- BT connection with my iPhone 12 is great. No dropouts in any corner of my apartment (when the phone lies in the living room). Far better than the XM4.
- Nice set of tips included (will try different tips I have tomorrow).
- I've made a couple of calls, and the people I've talked to said the call quality/mic was good. Loud and clear.
- Did I say they look so nice? :) Like jewelry.
Edit: - No hiss or other annoying noises in use.

Cons:
- Difference in sound with ANC/Ambient on/off and also between the two ANC/Ambient settings. Mostly noticable with the amount of bass.
- Too much bass with "Max ANC" setting and the silicone tips. The included foam tips limit the bass with "Max ANC" to an acceptable level, but then the "Off" and "All day ANC" settings delivers maybe too little bass. It's the same with the two Ambient settings. Difference in bass with those as well. End note; The app needs an EQ!!
- Sony WF-1000XM4, with Final E Type tips, sounds better. Quicker and punchier bass and with no variation in sound with ANC/Ambient on/off.
- Especially with the foam tips, the ANC is inferior to the MTW2/XM4/APP standard. Will try all fitting sizes of silicone tomorrow, and see if they seal more and helps the ANC.
- The audio feedback when changing ANC/Ambient on/off is too cumbersome (is that the right word?). Takes too long to change.
- €349 is expensive...

Any questions? :)
Agree with the pros :)

About the cons:

I don't hear a big difference between ANC off and "All day" ANC modes and I haven't used Max ANC mode often enough as of now. "All Day" ANC seems sufficient for everything I do around here, I guess.

Agree that an EQ would be fantastic but I'm happy with how the stock sound is. I definitely prefer it to the stock sound of the WF-1000XM4. However, the XM4 sound better when EQ'd for me.

Audio feedback when switching modes is fine for me but I agree that the modes could switch quicker!

The price is really high but I love so many things about them (case, design, fit/comfort, battery life, sound, buttons etc.) I will keep them as my daily driver. Haven't found a better package for me yet. The XM4 come close but they don't fit as good/are not as comfortable and the case is way cheaper + you always have to sacrifice one feature as you can only assign two to the buds (in my case it was volume control e.g.).

Aug 25, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #36,600 of 62,436
Woot my Gemini arrived a day earlier. So far I'm glad the sound doesn't change whenever I rock my head up and down compared to the MT, so I guess these are a better fit.

Right now I have my left MT (I wish I didn't lose my right one) and right Gemini playing music at the same time, just to see if I can pick out some of the differences.

Edit: Definitely more treble energy on the Gemini, although I hope it won't be fatiguing after prolonged listening. I think the vocals are more pronounced and clear on the Gemini, while MT's vocal is slightly warmer and had a bit more body. I also feel like I'm more closer to the stage with the MT than Gemini, but I honestly like them both at the moment.

Edit 2: Both can handle bass very very well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back