Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 25, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #36,556 of 62,402
Wow, this was a little "crazy".

I've experienced the Lypertek Pureplay Z7 to be a little dark/warm/»dull».
I've also felt that the limited treble/highs that are present, were more prominent on the right bud. An imbalanced feeling compared to XM4/MW08S etc..
Actually been wondering if something were wrong with the left bud.
Then I removed the little glued "plastic-bits" (?) in front of the nozzles, and it's like heaven in comparison.
The result were absolutely no difference between left and right, and the treble sparkles, crispy and detailed as never before.
The difference is just like wow... :)

I dared to do this, because there's spare "bits" included, so I knew they were possible to change.

Seriously... it's like a completely different set of TWS. Not joking, but without the protection-bits, it's actually the best sounding TWS I have.

Attachments

• IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #36,557 of 62,402
What do you guys think. I have the MW07 Plus (bought from the nice 50% off sale from M&D for 125€), would the MW08 or MW08s be an upgrade thinking about the sound?

Ive been looking for new set to buy, but dont want to buy several devices for different purposes or devices that wont be used much and just lay around. I had the MT's, but had to return them because of the frustrating bugs and subpar call quality. I really like the build quality and call quality of the MW07 Plus. The sound could be a bit more exciting though.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #36,558 of 62,402
What do you guys think. I have the MW07 Plus (bought from the nice 50% off sale from M&D for 125€), would the MW08 or MW08s be an upgrade thinking about the sound?

Ive been looking for new set to buy, but dont want to buy several devices for different purposes or devices that wont be used much and just lay around. I had the MT's, but had to return them because of the frustrating bugs and subpar call quality. I really like the build quality and call quality of the MW07 Plus. The sound could be a bit more exciting though.
I’ll tell you tomorrow but from the sound of things no, probably not. If you want something more energetic than the mw07 there probably are better options. The Gemini for example.

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #36,559 of 62,402

I've experienced the Lypertek Pureplay Z7 to be a little dark/warm/»dull».
I've also felt that the limited treble/highs that are present, were more prominent on the right bud. An imbalanced feeling compared to XM4/MW08S etc..
Actually been wondering if something were wrong with the left bud.
Then I removed the little glued "plastic-bits" (?) in front of the nozzles, and it's like heaven in comparison.
The result were absolutely no difference between left and right, and the treble sparkles, crispy and detailed as never before.
The difference is just like wow... :)

I dared to do this, because there's spare "bits" included, so I knew they were possible to change.

Seriously... it's like a completely different set of TWS. Not joking, but without the protection-bits, it's actually the best sounding TWS I have.
Edit: I tried to put another set of protection-bits on, and it's much better than the original. There must have been glue-residue in the middle of the pre-mounted ones?

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #36,560 of 62,402
I'm probably selling my XM4's later this week and keeping the Sennheiser MTW2's.

I've tried using the Sony's after using the Sennheisers and they just don't sound as good to me as the Sennheiser, I've tried different tips and I just can't get the Sony's to sound anywhere near as good (important: for my ears), which is so weird based on how much I disliked the Sennheisers when I got them and felt like the Sony's were "just right" when I first started using them. It's sad to me because I much prefer the size and shape of the Sony case, and the technology inside is just... yeah, more up to date, and I obviously feel like they're going to be improved a lot with software updates in the future.

But i'm still craving something new, and I want something even better... Where do I go from here? I want to spend like $200-300 tops, thinking if I should get a pair of wired open-back headphones, or just over-ear BT headphones... or a new pair of TWS, but not sure how much better I can get for that price. The Devialets are just over my budget, possibly thinking the new Klipsch... but not sure if that's going to be enough to warrant an upgrade.

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #36,561 of 62,402
Edit: I tried to put another set of protection-bits on, and it's much better than the original. There must have been glue-residue in the middle of the pre-mounted ones?
Could the old tip be less permeable, like the plastic thicker, maybe? Interesting design choice to use plastic at all to cover a driver. Congrats on the find

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #36,562 of 62,402
Could the old tip be less permeable, like the plastic thicker, maybe? Interesting design choice to use plastic at all to cover a driver. Congrats on the find
"Plastic"... I'm not sure of the material, it's thin, soft and there's glue on the edge to attach it properly.

Yes, it could be that the old "bit" had different texture. I threw it away, so I can't compare.
My guess is still that some glue may have blocked the middle where the sound shall pass without any hindrance.

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #36,563 of 62,402
I was using the foams that came with them, not a huge fan of the short stumpy foam tip but did notice a decent difference in sound sig. That's a good point about the projection of vocals outside of the head. And I didn't mess around with the bass EQ. So perhaps there are some things I should be doing differently. I think the extra energy in the N6 Pro 2 is probably what leans me towards them.

no the stock tips are made of soft foam which seems to leak bass for me. the tips they sent me are made of denser foam and feels much firmer.
i post about it here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...e-we-there-yet.861024/page-1822#post-15988821

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #36,564 of 62,402
I'm probably selling my XM4's later this week and keeping the Sennheiser MTW2's.

I've tried using the Sony's after using the Sennheisers and they just don't sound as good to me as the Sennheiser, I've tried different tips and I just can't get the Sony's to sound anywhere near as good (important: for my ears), which is so weird based on how much I disliked the Sennheisers when I got them and felt like the Sony's were "just right" when I first started using them. It's sad to me because I much prefer the size and shape of the Sony case, and the technology inside is just... yeah, more up to date, and I obviously feel like they're going to be improved a lot with software updates in the future.

But i'm still craving something new, and I want something even better... Where do I go from here? I want to spend like $200-300 tops, thinking if I should get a pair of wired open-back headphones, or just over-ear BT headphones... or a new pair of TWS, but not sure how much better I can get for that price. The Devialets are just over my budget, possibly thinking the new Klipsch... but not sure if that's going to be enough to warrant an upgrade.
Check out the Hifiman Deva. $300 gets you the best headphone value on the planet. They are seriously good.

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #36,565 of 62,402

interested in trying the z7 out with so many mentioning it been one of the best. i thought they came with EQ? cant you just tweak it?

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #36,566 of 62,402

I've tried using the Sony's after using the Sennheisers and they just don't sound as good to me as the Sennheiser, I've tried different tips and I just can't get the Sony's to sound anywhere near as good (important: for my ears), which is so weird based on how much I disliked the Sennheisers

But i'm still craving something new, and I want something even better... Where do I go from here? I want to spend like $200-300 tops,
I want to spend upwards of $1000 for the ultimate tws, but no manufacturer wants to step up and they just keep making mediocre crap.

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #36,567 of 62,402
I want to spend upwards of $1000 for the ultimate tws, but no manufacturer wants to step up and they just keep making mediocre crap.
Mediocre is probably inaccurate but i understand your point. Several of us here would (maybe not 1k) but certainly 500 to 600. Someone will do it eventually. At this point we have multi driver setups and we have LDAC so really just need someone to put them together and make a truly high end device.

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #36,570 of 62,402
Check out the Hifiman Deva. $300 gets you the best headphone value on the planet. They are seriously good.
Yeah I actually saw those but they cost almost $450 where i'm at, but I guess I could order from Hifiman right away, a bit worried about the possibility of having to pay import taxes and stuff like that though. They're slightly above my budget though but I will for sure keep them in mind. Got my 30th birthday coming up in about a month and a half so I guess I could put it on my wish list :)

Also people, you know what? I just spoke so warmly about my Sennheiser earbuds... YOU KNOW WHAT, that romance is ****ing over now. When i first got them, I had to send them in for repairs after an hour of use. Got them back after they replaced the left earbud, started slowly loving them more. Now the OTHER earbud stopped working in a similar fashion, in exactly the same way. I was just adjusting them in my ear and the sound cut out. They still respond to touch gestures but output no sound. I will have to do the same thing and wait a month to get them replaced now most likely. I'M MAD. Really mad. DDDD:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back