Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 17, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #35,297 of 62,573
I had a few hours of initial listening session with the N6 PRO2 last night and were able to A/B it with the N10 Pro and the N6 PRO.
Using my S20Ultra i was able to do a dual output comparison on 2 pairs of wireless at the same time so a quicks switch is easy. The N6 Pro2 can do 48khz/24bit if your player supports it (mine didn't). Its still early as i was told those need some burn-in but against the N10 Pro the detail and resolution is on par if not a bit more detailed due to the fact the sound stage is smaller and the vocals are forward and in your face like the old N6 Pro. To me N10 Pro music presentation gives you a big 3D image that appears outside the ear like a concert hall while the N6 Pro2 is like going into a music studio listening next to the artist with every detail close and personal, i could pick out new details in the song that wasn't there in the N10 Pro. i think its partly due to the 16k peak which bring out quite a bit of detail but can be annoying at times if there is a lot of drum snares and can sound bright on some tracks. Everything sounds forward and intermate. However the N10 Pro still wins hands down in sound stage, separation and more natural organic presentation of the music. The 3D soundstage of the N10 pro doesn't make it feel like your wearing IEMs.

N6 PRO vs N6 PRO2 i'm comparing a well used N6 pro to a few hours old N6 PRO2 i'm pretty sure sound will change in a week or so. the biggest difference is the BASS its a lot more punchy and deep into the sub bass you can feel it rumble on the PRO2 with out bleeding into the mids. the over all sound stage stayed the same and the vocal presentation is the same forward inside your head position. beside the bass boost the treble has been boosted as well while retaining the warm mids of the old N6 Pro. This boost gives you a lot more detail in songs and will change the warm smooth sound signature of the old N6 Pro to a more dynamic analytical sound. Its like N10 Pro's clarity been superimposed forward with a narrower soundstage so you hear the details close up. The old N6 pro sounds veiled and warm compare to the new. i'm not sure if this is a good thing because some people likes HD600s with their warmer veiled sound signature. with badly recorded or mp3s tracks the N6 Pro2 will not be as good because it picks up the flaws more.

As you guys can see from my sig the headphones i own are all big on sound stage and have a slightly brighter sound signature. I have no experience with expensive IEMS so i can't really relate to them. however, I'm a headphone guy so i can relate the N10 pro to the likes of the Arya in terms of presentation that's why i like it so much. This is my preference, some prefer a more forward and intimate headphone like the he6se/LCD X with lots of resolution and heavier bass the N6 Pro2 would be for you. For $140USD and 10hrs play time it would certainly punch above its weight class.

this is my initial compare so will do a proper write up in a week when i get more time.

oh, then i think you'll love it. A lot more analytical, slightly bright (might get better over time) with a heavy bass.

sound stage is the same. forward presentation of the vocals is the same. yes the bass is pumped up quite a bit and hits a lot harder.
How is the ANC on the N10 pro? Hopefully Nuarl, Sony, Senn, AKG, or CA can come up with something in the next couple years.

I'm still waiting on a TWS with good ANC comparable to full size headphones. Like Bose, Sony, Airpod Max.

Used my ER4's on the plane and while the passive isolation was probably the best you could get next to ear plugs. It still wasn't enough to drown out the plane engine noise. It's only good enough for indoors with AC running.

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #35,298 of 62,573
I've been testing out the Earfun Free Pro - Oluv Edition just a little while now, got them this thursday but have been occupied with other stuff during the weekend, so today is the first day where i've done some real world testing.

Some of you probably know that they're supposed to be fairly neutral sounding, not in the strictest sense but they were supposed to be tuned by ear and not just by a frequency graph.

I like them, and I might need some time to get used to them, but I don't think neutral is the sound signature that I'm really after. It really does sound good with certain types of music, but at the same time it lacks both in bass and in treble for my taste. I like that they're pretty much never harsh, and vocals are very clear, probably most noticeable to me because they're not as V-shaped as many of the other earbuds i've tried. The soundstage is pretty average, but the separation and positioning seems to be very good, and listening to a track i've heard plenty of times before I can absolutely make out some vocal overdubs and the effects processing on them which i've never actually thought about in that track before because it just hasn't been audible to me.

What I don't enjoy is the fact that a lot of music just lack a little bit of something, it has a tendency to sound a bit dull to my ears, probably because the lack of sparkle in the treble and a bass response that is... well, it's definitely not non-existent, it's just not enough for a lot of the music that I enjoy. It's by no means incapable of producing some bass, but it's still not enough to my ears. I can hear the bass, but I can't really feel it, if that makes sense? I'm not a basshead by any means but I do like it when there is some more heft to the bass as long as it's not all loose and wobbly, a more dynamic sound, I guess.
However I still enjoy some clear mids because vocals are important to me as well. What tuning am I even after when I really enjoy when there's sparkle in the highs, some extra heft to the bass but without letting the mids suffer too much for it?

The sound might grow on me, and it's definitely a clear sound but i'm not over the moon over them YET. My ears/brain might just need some time to adapt to them and I might enjoy them more soon, I would say that it was worth the money for what's on offer, but I could see myself probably enjoying the regular Earfun Free Pros more than these, I haven't had the chance to try those unfortunately.
If I had an android phone and could use a system-wide EQ I could probably make them sound fantastic to my ears but since i'm on iPhone I don't have that option.

We'll see where my money goes from here, I am looking for the next earbuds that i'm going to order though, kinda have these shortlisted right now:

Status Between Pro
Soundcore Life P3
Moondrop Sparks
Soundpeats H1
Melomania Touch
Lypertek Pureplay Z3
Edifier Neobuds Pro

And then some of the heavy-hitters that I don't think I can quite afford at the moment but might if I see different at the end of the month:
Sony WF-1000XM4
Devialet Gemini

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #35,300 of 62,573
As an all-rounder, I honestly thought the 85t had it. They're certainly not the sonic best, but they do so much of the day-to-day stuff right that I tend to overlook it. If it's an alternative you're after, though, possibly the CA MT if you're looking to stay in the bassier realm or possibly find a set of UE FITS if they go back on crazy sale (seems to be happening a lot lately) if you're after something closer to a reference-level signature. I do have and like the CX400BT, but they're pretty much a sound-only TWS as far as I'm concerned, so they don't make muster for me.

Hopefully that helps!

My Huawei free buds pro are still my favorite all rounder.
The upcoming Edifier sound interesting but between my KBear Ks1,moondrop Aria and the Huawei I have all my mobile audio needs covered.

@dweaver I love all of the galaxy buds pro except the fit was terrible and hurt despite trying 10 different tips. Glad they first you better.

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #35,301 of 62,573
Thanks @Canabuc I am glad they fit me well. They are actually one of the most comfortable TWS I own, so am grateful they have worked out that way. I was more than a bit concerned they would not fit well as many people have struggled with their fit. Sonically they have really grown on me.

Going to be interesting when the Status Between show up. Might have to do a bit of a showcase of all the models I have on hand then do some selling LOL.

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #35,302 of 62,573
How is the ANC on the N10 pro? Hopefully Nuarl, Sony, Senn, AKG, or CA can come up with something in the next couple years.

I'm still waiting on a TWS with good ANC comparable to full size headphones. Like Bose, Sony, Airpod Max.

Used my ER4's on the plane and while the passive isolation was probably the best you could get next to ear plugs. It still wasn't enough to drown out the plane engine noise. It's only good enough for indoors with AC running.

ANC on the N10 Pro isn't the best. I rarely use it as i don't travel much those days due to all the lockdowns. It cancels out mid to lower frequencies well enough but leaving a metallic sounding after effect of the outside noise. i've compared it with the BOSE QC it has the best ANC for TWE i've used at the time. I don't think the ANC level will reach headphone level anytime soon. Not even the best wired ANC IEMs will perform on par with headphones you listed. Going by reviews the BOSE QC and the XM4s might be the best choice for ANC atm.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #35,303 of 62,573
ANC on the N10 Pro isn't the best. I rarely use it as i don't travel much those days due to all the lockdowns. It cancels out mid to lower frequencies well enough but leaving a metallic sounding after effect of the outside noise. i've compared it with the BOSE QC it has the best ANC for TWE i've used at the time. I don't think the ANC level will reach headphone level anytime soon. Not even the best wired ANC IEMs will perform on par with headphones you listed. Going by reviews the BOSE QC and the XM4s might be the best choice for ANC atm.
I used to own both the nuarl n10 pro and sony wf 1000xm4. The ANC strength of the n10 pro is probably about 65-70% of the sony 1000xm4 (both with stock plugs). Also, the 1000xm4 will make you in the sudden quiet place which quite creepy if you are not used to it.

Jul 18, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #35,304 of 62,573
Yesterday when I changed the tips of my Sennheiser CX TWS one of the foam inserts fell out. I guess these aren't glued in. Can I expect more clarity when removing these and would they alter the sound in a negative way otherwise? Sennheiser surely used these for a reason. Anyway I'm not at home right now and worry to loose them when I take them out right now so i can't try.

Jul 18, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #35,305 of 62,573
Yesterday when I changed the tips of my Sennheiser CX TWS one of the foam inserts fell out. I guess these aren't glued in. Can I expect more clarity when removing these and would they alter the sound in a negative way otherwise? Sennheiser surely used these for a reason. Anyway I'm not at home right now and worry to loose them when I take them out right now so i can't try.
I would say yes it will change the sound. But whether it is negative is dependent on what you are looking for. If the foam was what was surrounding the stem, but is now gone, then yes you will get more clarity, because highs have less energy than lower end, and foam will dampen the highs but allow the lows. With a smooth surface surrounding the stem, you will get the highs and the lows as much as the TWS was tuned for. Hope that makes sense?!

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #35,306 of 62,573
Just for kicks in the last AE sale I ordered a pair of large tips (I wear typically use small to medium-small) so I could finally take a good measurement of my Mavin Air-XR. I knew the bass was emphasized but I didn't fully realize how much.

I also included how they measure after I apply EQ to my preferences for long sessions. Apparently I like a signature similar to Diffuse Field.

Air-XR EQ.jpg

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #35,307 of 62,573
I've been testing out the Earfun Free Pro - Oluv Edition just a little while now, got them this thursday but have been occupied with other stuff during the weekend, so today is the first day where i've done some real world testing.

Some of you probably know that they're supposed to be fairly neutral sounding, not in the strictest sense but they were supposed to be tuned by ear and not just by a frequency graph.

I like them, and I might need some time to get used to them, but I don't think neutral is the sound signature that I'm really after. It really does sound good with certain types of music, but at the same time it lacks both in bass and in treble for my taste. I like that they're pretty much never harsh, and vocals are very clear, probably most noticeable to me because they're not as V-shaped as many of the other earbuds i've tried. The soundstage is pretty average, but the separation and positioning seems to be very good, and listening to a track i've heard plenty of times before I can absolutely make out some vocal overdubs and the effects processing on them which i've never actually thought about in that track before because it just hasn't been audible to me.

What I don't enjoy is the fact that a lot of music just lack a little bit of something, it has a tendency to sound a bit dull to my ears, probably because the lack of sparkle in the treble and a bass response that is... well, it's definitely not non-existent, it's just not enough for a lot of the music that I enjoy. It's by no means incapable of producing some bass, but it's still not enough to my ears. I can hear the bass, but I can't really feel it, if that makes sense? I'm not a basshead by any means but I do like it when there is some more heft to the bass as long as it's not all loose and wobbly, a more dynamic sound, I guess.
However I still enjoy some clear mids because vocals are important to me as well. What tuning am I even after when I really enjoy when there's sparkle in the highs, some extra heft to the bass but without letting the mids suffer too much for it?

The sound might grow on me, and it's definitely a clear sound but i'm not over the moon over them YET. My ears/brain might just need some time to adapt to them and I might enjoy them more soon, I would say that it was worth the money for what's on offer, but I could see myself probably enjoying the regular Earfun Free Pros more than these, I haven't had the chance to try those unfortunately.
If I had an android phone and could use a system-wide EQ I could probably make them sound fantastic to my ears but since i'm on iPhone I don't have that option.

We'll see where my money goes from here, I am looking for the next earbuds that i'm going to order though, kinda have these shortlisted right now:

Status Between Pro
Soundcore Life P3
Moondrop Sparks
Soundpeats H1
Melomania Touch
Lypertek Pureplay Z3
Edifier Neobuds Pro

And then some of the heavy-hitters that I don't think I can quite afford at the moment but might if I see different at the end of the month:
Sony WF-1000XM4
Devialet Gemini
Everyone's ears are different. Despite of the fact that he knows and says it in his videos he is getting more and more confident that his tuning will meet tastes of most people, because many have been persuaded.
The bass is like an addiction, the more you are used to have the higher your brain will shift the tolerance threshold. It's very subjective.
The treble is dependent from peaks sensitivity of each one. He always talks about resonances at 5/6k so maybe something in his ears canal makes the resonance point shift down or maybe he doesn't like a deeper insertion, or both. The solution for him is to lower everything between 6k and 10k, that's why those buds sound dull to you.

Jul 18, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #35,308 of 62,573
Everyone's ears are different. Despite of the fact that he knows and says it in his videos he is getting more and more confident that his tuning will meet tastes of most people, because many have been persuaded.
The bass is like an addiction, the more you are used to have the higher your brain will shift the tolerance threshold. It's very subjective.
The treble is dependent from peaks sensitivity of each one. He always talks about resonances at 5/6k so maybe something in his ears canal makes the resonance point shift down or maybe he doesn't like a deeper insertion, or both. The solution for him is to lower everything between 6k and 10k, that's why those buds sound dull to you.
Yeah, you’re absolutely right. I definitely think the way they fit makes a huge difference.
At the same time I’ve really come to realize what a big difference it makes when you’re coming from one sound signature to another, it usually sounds pretty bad until your brain (or ears???) have gotten used to what the music you like sounds like on the new earbuds.

Because I’m definitely coming around on these. I don’t think they could be my endgame since I still feel like some types of music lends itself better to having more bass and treble, but honestly, these do sound very good! I thought they couldn’t deliver heavy bass but they absolutely can if the track was produced and mixed that way.
I actually even feel like I am hearing a better bass response than I did the first couple of usesIs this purely my brain getting used to it or is it some mechanical thing with the driver units? I mean I seem to recall burn-in being a bit of a myth.

There are some genres where I would want a bit more bass, surprisingly not necessarily electronic music, but more in the death metal/metalcore genres where it just lacks this little bit of “oomph” in the lower end that just rounds out the sound and makes it just slightly warmer and cleaner-sounding (I mean, that’s just my preference I guess).

But yes, I’ve watched some of Oluvs videos and I think he does a good job and these earbuds are 100% worth the $69 or so that I paid for them, but I can get annoyed at his inability to understand why people could enjoy earbuds that aren’t aiming at being neutral-sounding.

I think I have some weirdly shaped ear canals where I for sure can fit most if not all earbuds in there, but I don’t think I’m getting the best sound or fit from them. I tried switching to a pair of deeper-fitting tips on these and they really sounded more full, slightly warmer and more lively, but they wouldn’t fit in the case with them on. I think these are also just made to go actually have a shallow fit, and I'm used to just shoving my earbuds as deep into my ears as I can, hah.

Jul 18, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #35,310 of 62,573
I can confirm from personal experience that burn-in is a myth in iems, it is necessary on loudspeakers sometimes.
Go away with the burn-in stuff. Every thread in audio, like ever, has been derailed by burn-in arguments. How about people just keep it to themselves. Never settles it. People believe what they experience and no one is convinced by words in a thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back