Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 13, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #34,216 of 62,490
Cool, that describes my wildest TWS dreams :)
Read mixed review re JBL's on sound and pairing
Interesting. Pairing was effortless (edit: closest to the AirPods Pro I've had yet on Android), but I have a OnePlus 8T and it supports that easy pairing tech. I think a lot of the sound reviews were made in a previous firmware where some bug caused audio to duck whenever ANC or HearThrough was on. That's since been corrected, but it is a quieter pair when compared to some of the other stuff out there. I compensated for that by making an EQ that just boosted everything 4dB and that helps.

The rest of it I think is tip-dependent. I like using the SpinFits with the JBL if I don't want to overthink it.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #34,217 of 62,490
Interesting. Pairing was effortless (edit: closest to the AirPods Pro I've had yet on Android), but I have a OnePlus 8T and it supports that easy pairing tech. I think a lot of the sound reviews were made in a previous firmware where some bug caused audio to duck whenever ANC or HearThrough was on. That's since been corrected, but it is a quieter pair when compared to some of the other stuff out there. I compensated for that by making an EQ that just boosted everything 4dB and that helps.

The rest of it I think is tip-dependent. I like using the SpinFits with the JBL if I don't want to overthink it.
Helpful hearing some of the issues might have been due to previous firmware issues. - Still dreaming of a sound-focused brand for my higher end pair, like the Earsonic Aeros but am waiting for some 5.2 Bluetooth options to launch.

Considering the Fiil T1 Pro as my less expensive pair. Have you tried these before or heard people's thoughts on them? Or do you think I'd be better off going with the Earfuns as a budget pair?

Also saw Soundcore is launching their Life P3 buds in July which I'm pretty excited about :)

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #34,218 of 62,490
Helpful hearing some of the issues might have been due to previous firmware issues. - Still dreaming of a sound-focused brand for my higher end pair, like the Earsonic Aeros but am waiting for some 5.2 Bluetooth options to launch.

Considering the Fiil T1 Pro as my less expensive pair. Have you tried these before or heard people's thoughts on them? Or do you think I'd be better off going with the Earfuns as a budget pair?

Also saw Soundcore is launching their Life P3 buds in July which I'm pretty excited about :)
I had the Earfun Free Pro, which are pretty similar. They didn't work for my ears or listening habits, but they were certainly tiny. Sound-wise, it's my understanding that the FIIL is an upgrade.

Those Earsonics look great and, based on the reviews I've seen, set a pretty high bar. I do think the JBL do that in their own signature way and it's not something I've heard done the same elsewhere (much like the UEs). That being said, I currently have in a pair of the CF01 and Dunu DK-3001 Pro with a pair of the included SpinFits. This is neutral, timbrally accurate yet powerful, light, comfortable, and simple. It's IEM-level resolution (with the accompanying cost) without the cord. As far as I'm concerned, that's exactly what I was after.

If iBasso and Dunu would ever collaborate on a TWS, I have a feeling it would be an instant hit. Until then, this is good enough.

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #34,219 of 62,490
Just got the moondrop sparks in! Will update with first impressions soon :)

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #34,220 of 62,490
Has anyone tried both the XM4s and the Galaxy Buds Plus/Pro? I’m tossing up whether to pre-order the XM4 (arriving mid-July) or wait for the Galaxy Buds 2 (rumoured for August). I much prefer a more neutral sound than the Sony house sound, don’t require ANC, and would prefer multipoint, so am hoping the Buds 2 might be the ticket.
I have. I just got done A/B testing these two for the past hour. The Buds Pro are not bad at all. Interestingly, with the tracks I am testing of note, same Alicia Keys - Back To Life at 2:53, the Sony's can't match the treble or volume output of the Buds Pro in effect sounding too low or just lacking in detail. I adjusted the volume by 1-2 notches down from max to see if volume was leading my perception of clarity, but even matching volume detail in highs are better on the Buds Pro at least on this song. Same song in Flac. I have messed with eq quite a bit and can't seem to improve it. The Sony's are unfortunately dark. I can say bass is cleaner on Sony by a hair if talking similar quantity with Buds Pro on Bass Boost. Most other tracks sound good with the Sony's like electronica, but for some reason struggles with this song and passage.

Another test I did was latency on my LG C9 with Youtube. While most reviewers saying no problem with most tests, this isn't exactly accurate or the control for the test was not very good.

What I found was the Sony had better latency than the Buds Pro by a noticeable amount. Most likely due to 5.2 vs. 5 on the Buds Pro. This was tested again with a couple Alicia Keys videos showing her playing piano. Key strikes were more in sync when heard on the XM4.

I am torn. On one hand I like the sound better on the Buds Pro, but I have got to have my Alicia vids in sync.

Jun 13, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #34,221 of 62,490
I have. I just got done A/B testing these two for the past hour. The Buds Pro are not bad at all. Interestingly, with the tracks I am testing of note, same Alicia Keys - Back To Life at 2:53, the Sony's can't match the treble or volume output of the Buds Pro in effect sounding too low or just lacking in detail. I adjusted the volume by 1-2 notches down from max to see if volume was leading my perception of clarity, but even matching volume detail in highs are better on the Buds Pro at least on this song. Same song in Flac. I have messed with eq quite a bit and can't seem to improve it. The Sony's are unfortunately dark. I can say bass is cleaner on Sony by a hair if talking similar quantity with Buds Pro on Bass Boost. Most other tracks sound good with the Sony's like electronica, but for some reason struggles with this song and passage.

Another test I did was latency on my LG C9 with Youtube. While most reviewers saying no problem with most tests, this isn't exactly accurate or the control for the test was not very good.

What I found was the Sony had better latency than the Buds Pro by a noticeable amount. Most likely due to 5.2 vs. 5 on the Buds Pro. This was tested again with a couple Alicia Keys videos showing her playing piano. Key strikes were more in sync when heard on the XM4.

I am torn. On one hand I like the sound better on the Buds Pro, but I have got to have my Alicia vids in sync.
Pretty much the only way I can enjoy the XM4 is with EQ. And, for me, when EQ is applied they are good sounding for a TWS, especially given all the features you have access to. I don’t think anyone should give up on these until they have tried to customize the sound in EQ. The EQ is free, it doesn’t detract from the sound or features, and while most people may agree the XM4 is a dark IEM, the perfect sound is a matter of taste.

Fit wise they are a bit clunky to get into my ears, but pretty stable once in. Comfort is also good as long as I am careful to not have them create a hot spot boy putting too much pressure on the folds of my ear.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #34,223 of 62,490
Just took the XM4 through The Prodigy's Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned and Massive Attack's Blue Line album. Get's the thumbs up from me! Really goes hand in hand with the EDM / dance stuff I've thrown at it. I find you don't even need ANC on most of the time, especially at home, even with two kids around, because of the fit, it passively blocks out noise.

Ticks all the boxes for me and no EQing required on LDAC. Simply superb. IMO, if you're buying these and not using LDAC, you're missing out a little but still as an overall package it's still very decent. Sounds great even on iPhone X using aac and when you're out and about, that will be more than acceptable. LDAC perfect for when you're seated and not walking about and don't want to carry your wired set up around.

Wouldn't mind if they could shrink the earbuds down a little for the next iteration or give us a larger driver in that existing shell. Otherwise no complaints!

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #34,226 of 62,490
Moondrop sparks sound really nice, excellent tuning

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #34,227 of 62,490
I have been testing my WF-1000XM4 the past couple days. Sold the MTW2 in anticipation of these and wanted to experience some Sony's.
I started with the medium which fit good, but at times found if I yawned I would break seal. I tried the large and they were surprisingly comfortable. It is important to squeeze them. The large don't break seal if I open my mouth or move my jaw. Also, sub base sometimes sounded weak or weird with the medium tips and this was corrected with the large tips.
I really don't care for anc at all. I really wished companies would stop focusing so much on this and more on sound quality. That being said, the anc is really good.
Soundstage is somewhat good. It lacks detail, slam and clarity too, but totally unfair comparison as I am judging them against my LCDi4. A downside to being spoiled by the i4 is that everything I have heard so far has been so far away. Even with LDAC on my Galaxy Z Fold 2 and at 990 kbps, these are not there yet. It's like listening in standard definition vs 4k HDR.

An example is the bass drop at 2:53 of Alicia Keys - Back To Life

Busy passages are sort of mushed and sounds compressed. Bass drops are suppressed or just not dynamic enough. Obviously nowhere near as fast as planar either.
Nonetheless, I do like them for what they are and so far the best all rounder with the most tech to date, wireless charging case, LDAC, great anc, ip rating, long battery life, better app and small case.
Completely agreed. There is no need for further improvement with ANC except where it helps with battery life. ANC is great already - I don't see how it can improve much more. It takes resources, time & money to improve something. I would rather see them throw more money/time/resources into sound quality and condensing the number of microchips necessary so they can drive up the driver size, maybe make dual-drivers the norm, anything to improve the sound quality to be closer to the wired IEMs.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #34,228 of 62,490
Would be nice if someone could provide basic comparison between the xm4 and Melomania Touch! :p

Jun 13, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #34,229 of 62,490
Would be nice if someone could provide basic comparison between the xm4 and Melomania Touch! :p
The XM4 are simply more polished and clearly with more features. To me the MT are definitely a step up in SQ. Also the fit is amazing. However I returned mine because they were glitchy. But I do remember the sound well. To me they were definitely better than the MTW2, and I find the XM4 and MTW2 to be similar in SQ, for my tastes.

Jun 13, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #34,230 of 62,490
The XM4 are simply more polished and clearly with more features. To me the MT are definitely a step up in SQ. Also the fit is amazing. However I returned mine because they were glitchy. But I do remember the sound well. To me they were definitely better than the MTW2, and I find the XM4 and MTW2 to be similar in SQ, for my tastes.
Almost a carbon copy of my impression as well. MT sound better and are more comfortable than the XM4. But the XM4 features simply overwhelm the MT. They both have a spot in my collection; XM4 where I need top notch ANC, and the MT for around the home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back