Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #34,051 of 62,188
I was planning to hold out on the XM4s, but if the ANC can compete with over-ears and the battery life is even close to the claimed 8 hours with ANC, then these would be ideal for working from home, and the wait would not worth whatever ($50?) the price may go down. @clerkpalmer I'm especially interested to know what you think of the XM4s ANC vs the Devialet Gemini, as not many others have them.
I’ll report back for sure. The ANC on the Gemini is surprisingly solid. Devialet sent me some new and improved tips as well which make them a really nice package. I actually decided I prefer the sound signature to the pI7 and they respond well to EQ.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #34,053 of 62,188
I was planning to hold out on the XM4s, but if the ANC can compete with over-ears and the battery life is even close to the claimed 8 hours with ANC, then these would be ideal for working from home, and the wait would not worth whatever ($50?) the price may go down. @clerkpalmer I'm especially interested to know what you think of the XM4s ANC vs the Devialet Gemini, as not many others have them.
Do remember the 8 hours is only with AAC and ANC not LDAC. 5 hours with LDAC and ANC.

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #34,055 of 62,188
I’ll report back for sure. The ANC on the Gemini is surprisingly solid. Devialet sent me some new and improved tips as well which make them a really nice package. I actually decided I prefer the sound signature to the pI7 and they respond well to EQ.
What is the difference with the new tips for the Gemini? I'd love to know if what I have are the new or old tips. I repurchased mine from Crutchfield a few weeks ago. Back to being in Heaven.

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #34,056 of 62,188
Interesting in reading the translated Japanese impressions of the XM4 this sounded promising to me.

To summarize briefly, the impression is that the "WF-1000XM4" has evolved from the powerful and conspicuous sound "WF-1000XM3" to a monitor-like and pure audio-like, mature sound.

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #34,057 of 62,188
Do remember the 8 hours is only with AAC and ANC not LDAC. 5 hours with LDAC and ANC.
TBH I'm more interested in ANC workwise with a kid around. If it works as well as my B&W PX then that's probably enough for me besides all the other features. If it works well + 8 hours of that would be zero second thoughts. Most people here have been waiting for LDAC, but for me the 8 hours ANC is the real big deal. I once was rescued from a miserable experience on the kid's scout trip by my wired Bose, having to bunk with the other dads. It turns out that the frequency of human snoring is entirely eliminated by modern ANC.

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #34,058 of 62,188
On a totally random note… the wife fell asleep last night while we were watching a movie on my Fire Stick. I happened to have my NUARL N6P’s within reach so I paired them and switched to Castlevania on Netflix… man they blow away the built in tv speakers.
I've been looking for a bluetooth adapter that will play 2 TWS sets at the same time for me and the missus for Prime and Netflix movies when everyone else is asleep. I've asked numerous times here in this thread and have had no one respond with any feedback.... Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #34,059 of 62,188
I've been looking for a bluetooth adapter that will play 2 TWS sets at the same time for me and the missus for Prime and Netflix movies when everyone else is asleep. I've asked numerous times here in this thread and have had no one respond with any feedback.... Any recommendations?
Bluetooth adapter or transmitter? There was a fairly popular brand that just got yanked from Amazon that made a decent transmitter, but I'll do some digging and see what I can find. What codecs?

How close is something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TLHRPDP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_Q3V9YKH290DT5GT5255Z

Oh and new shameless plug for a ridiculous album that I started adding into the demo queue. Extremely dynamic content and remains plenty fun while doing so. If you're not into prog, you'll probably want to skip this one:

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #34,060 of 62,188
I wonder if the XM4 battery life might be more in the 8hr range for LDAC if the ANC is disabled. Might be a good option for quiet environments. Any difference in sound from ANC to no ANC?

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #34,061 of 62,188
I wonder if the XM4 battery life might be more in the 8hr range for LDAC if the ANC is disabled. Might be a good option for quiet environments. Any difference in sound from ANC to no ANC?

That's how I've been listening to them mostly. I don't need ANC as often as I need it. When I do need it I want it to be very good, but I'm gonna run LDAC with no ANC most of the time. I'll do a test at some point see how long it takes for them to lose 20% power with LDAC and no ANC listening to Tidal HiFi

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #34,062 of 62,188
I wonder the same thing. When I had the xm3 for like 2 months, I rarely needed to turn on ANC in my home. I just used passive isolation, and it actually isolated pretty good (it lasted me a good 7-8hrs range as long as DSEE was kept off). In that situation with LDAC but disabled ANC, I would think the battery life would go up by couple hours at least.

I would be curious to see how much DSEE impacts battery life too in xm4. With xm3, DSEE on brought down battery life to like 3hrs or less.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #34,063 of 62,188
What is the difference with the new tips for the Gemini? I'd love to know if what I have are the new or old tips. I repurchased mine from Crutchfield a few weeks ago. Back to being in Heaven.
If there's a silicon hash # pattern over the grill then you have the redesigned tips. For me the fit is noticeably better.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #34,064 of 62,188
Guess I’ll look for those Amazonwarehousedeals discounts, for all the buyers who decided they were not fans of the XM4. I do really like the WH1000-XM3. Did not like the WF1000-XM3 much. Did not care for the form factorz And had volume issues. Don’t find the full-size Sonys too dark, but I do tweak the treble.

I always liked Sony phones, owned the EX1000 and the EX300, back in the day. Wind issues ruined that design. Also have the MH755 around here someplace!
A bit off topic, but the Apple Spatial Audio (checked out 3 months free) not consistent, it could be the new 4-channel sound, if they can’t get it right. Some tracks sound great, but most sound meh.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back