Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 25, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #32,356 of 62,131
I wanted to add a question as a potential B&W PI7 Buyer: Watching a YouTube video review, it seemed like the case allows higher bit rate/resolution than transmitting from a source directly to the earbuds? Can anyone clarify for me?
Yes and no. If you aptx adaptive on your phone you can get hi res via regular streaming. Otherwise the YouTube video was correct. You can use the case to bridge any source including hi res files like tidal. The case transmit via bluetooth to the phone at a higher bitrate than AAC or Aptx. So if you want hi res and don’t have aptx adaptive, use the case as a bridge.

Apr 25, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #32,357 of 62,131
Actually reading up on this, now I’m confused. This has been reported widely however in researching this it says the case to buds transmit via aptx LL which would not in fact be hi res. Can anyone clarify?

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #32,358 of 62,131
Actually reading up on this, now I’m confused. This has been reported widely however in researching this it says the case to buds transmit via aptx LL which would not in fact be hi res. Can anyone clarify?
Directly from the B&W support person last week the case will transmit APEX HD.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #32,362 of 62,131
But then you should have quite some latency when streaming from a PC or TV?
No latency observed from my Sony Bravia TV headphone plugin.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #32,363 of 62,131
But then you should have quite some latency when streaming from a PC or TV?
I trust what alsorkin was told but I need to get to the bottom this. AptxLL makes more sense to me than AptxHD given the use case. Also I struggle with why they have enabled AptxHD on the buds but then limit it to the case only. That does not make any sense. If they can receive AptxHD from the case they should receive it from any device. The only sources I found say aptx Ll. Has anyone tried to force AptxHD on these?

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #32,365 of 62,131
I trust what alsorkin was told but I need to get to the bottom this. AptxLL makes more sense to me than AptxHD given the use case. Also I struggle with why they have enabled AptxHD on the buds but then limit it to the case only. That does not make any sense. If they can receive AptxHD from the case they should receive it from any device. The only sources I found say aptx Ll. Has anyone tried to force AptxHD on these?
I suggest you call B&W support to get answers on this

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #32,366 of 62,131
I suggest you call B&W support to get answers on this
I will but in my experience with customer support with other consumer audio companies they are often misinformed and or just wrong. This is pretty technical. I’ll see what I can find out but it’s probably beyond the skill set of the average customer rep.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #32,367 of 62,131
I will but in my experience with customer support with other consumer audio companies they are often misinformed and or just wrong. This is pretty technical. I’ll see what I can find out but it’s probably beyond the skill set of the average customer rep.
Trusted Reviews is quoting that they support AptxHD as a stand-alone codec. Seems like lot of confusion.

Erockg have you tried to force AptxHD?

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #32,368 of 62,131
This is from PCMag:

“The charging case then streams whatever you’ve connected—such as an airplane jack, a computer, or an old MP3 player—in aptX Adaptive quality (up to 24-bit/48kHz) to the earphones.”

so we have heard LL, Adaptive and HD. Lol.

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #32,369 of 62,131
Trusted Reviews is quoting that they support AptxHD as a stand-alone codec. Seems like lot of confusion.

Erockg have you tried to force AptxHD?
I found B&W customer support to be more technical believable than typical.

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #32,370 of 62,131
Well we have an answer. I emailed the B&W rep listed on the press release. He just responded that it is indeed AptxLL between the case and the buds. This is a major bmmer. It was nice of him to respond on a Sunday. My excitement level is subdued. No hi res support which was the only real excuse for the battery life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back