Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 24, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #32,326 of 62,129
I'm not saying that you're unhappy now, im just saying that in the near future the battery life will be even worse, not long after that you'll have to throw them away despite them being in a fully working condition.

If you use them frequently each day, and have to get 2 charging cycles going each day I don't think it will take too long for the degration to show its effect on that intial low battery life. Meaning you'll have to charge them even more.

Nonetheless it will be really interesting to follow :)

Either way, it's a major win for B&W, this must be a dream product for them when it comes money, they're essentially selling a disposable wireless IEM for 400 EUR.
My mental issue is, I usually sell my gear before they even degrade! They sound very very good. But yes, quite pricey. That said, tech changes so fast it's hard to keep up. It's all by design. As someone said on here a few days ago, go big or go home. Sadly, I agree. The fit, the ANC and the sound on the PI7 is just perfect for me. The big test for me is outdoors. If they cut out while walking in a park, they'll get returned. Here we go!

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #32,327 of 62,129
Apr 24, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #32,328 of 62,129
My mental issue is, I usually sell my gear before they even degrade! They sound very very good. But yes, quite pricey. That said, tech changes so fast it's hard to keep up. It's all by design. As someone said on here a few days ago, go big or go home. Sadly, I agree. The fit, the ANC and the sound on the PI7 is just perfect for me. The big test for me is outdoors. If they cut out while walking in a park, they'll get returned. Here we go!

I wouldn't really argue about the price if the battery wasn't like first gen TWS, I got no problem with pricy TWS if they deliver.

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #32,329 of 62,129
I wouldn't really argue about the price if the battery wasn't like first gen TWS, I got no problem with pricy TWS if they deliver.
Wild speculation, but is it possible that the battery issue is why we saw the PI5 and PI7 vanish from view right after we heard about it? Maybe they were planning to release earlier and realized a little too late that battery life was going to be a sticking point for some people. Went back to try and quick-fix, couldn't, and that's why we're seeing what we're seeing?

Forgive me. Just trying to connect the dots.

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #32,330 of 62,129
Wild speculation, but is it possible that the battery issue is why we saw the PI5 and PI7 vanish from view right after we heard about it? Maybe they were planning to release earlier and realized a little too late that battery life was going to be a sticking point for some people. Went back to try and quick-fix, couldn't, and that's why we're seeing what we're seeing?

Forgive me. Just trying to connect the dots.
Well they don't like to talk about it that's for sure ^^

On the official page there's no mention of battery life, you'll have to go the support page or into the manual to find out about it.

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/net/headphones/pi7

It's also quite fun that they claim "up to 4 hours" in the manual, but on the support page they claim that you should only espect 3.5 hours.

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #32,331 of 62,129
Well they don't like to talk about it that's for sure ^^

On the official page there's no mention of battery life, you'll have to go the support page or into the manual to find out about it.

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/net/headphones/pi7

It's also quite fun that they claim "up to 4 hours" in the manual, but on the support page they claim that you should only espect 3.5 hours.
Some of the test conditions that people publish are bad enough. Things like 15% volume, 0.5ft proximity, or some other completely unrealistic. If they come remotely close to target, then I consider myself happy.

Apr 24, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #32,332 of 62,129
Man, next generation with low energy Bluetooth in tws and perhaps more of this b&w pi7 idea of the case as transmitter in your pocket or table top could be insane. Battery life, sound quality all could improve further while the buds stay the same exact size (more so resemble the MT/mtw2 in size/design than say the massive Sony xm3 or AZ70 that jut too far outwards). Then you can fit in any codec you want and you will see larger driver sizes perhaps up to 15mm packed into tiny tws.
I find that the P17 cares a lot about BT signal strength on the transmitting source. My Samsung smartphones operate very well without stuttering when coupled to the P17 and moving around my small house. With my 3 DAPs I have considerable interruptions moving around in the same areas.

Apr 24, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #32,333 of 62,129
So Bose and Master Dynamics mw08 are still the better ones for now? I’m looking to buy some new wireless earbuds. Can anyone recommend? I looked at some different reviews and comparing the ANC. Bose has best ANC, but is their music quality good enough? Thanks.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #32,334 of 62,129
I used my PI7s all day yesterday. Loved every minute. Yes, they ran for about say 4 hours of on and off use. Quick charged while I made lunch and got back to it. Made calls etc. Even though I have the MW08, NFPs and others that have up to ten hours of battery life, I've never hit that mark. B&W did a nice job. They're worth the penny to me, but I'm a junkie.
Is this right?
- No volume control on the buds?
- No ambient mode switch using the buds' touch control? (only with using the phone app?)
- 3,5-4 hours of battery life?
The sound quality and ANC must be really good for these to be interesting then? With that price tag too.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #32,335 of 62,129
Is this right?
- No volume control on the buds?
- No ambient mode switch using the buds' touch control? (only with using the phone app?)
- 3,5-4 hours of battery life?
The sound quality and ANC must be really good for these to be interesting then? With that price tag too.
Correct. Sound and ANC is great. I’m very happy.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #32,336 of 62,129
After one day with P17 I decided to keep them, simply because they sound better when NFPs in my opinion. Not much, but better resolution and separation.
Also, they don't have this awful driver flex I have with NFPs. Of course, the battery life is a big minus but I can live with that.
ANC is ok. Falcons isolate the outside noise as good without ANC.
The case is little big, but nice in the hand and I can close the lid with spin fit tips.
Also, P17s are quiet. I have to crank up the volume on my Iphone to almost 90% when walking outside.
I didn't have any complains when talking on the phone using P17s. I guess, they are good for it.
They are very comfy and light and not as big as I thought.

Apr 24, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #32,337 of 62,129
After one day with P17 I decided to keep them, simply because they sound better when NFPs in my opinion. Not much, but better resolution and separation.
Also, they don't have this awful driver flex I have with NFPs. Of course, the battery life is a big minus but I can live with that.
The case is little big, but nice in the hand and I can close the lid with spin fit tips.
Also, P17s are quiet. I have to crank up the volume on my Iphone to almost 90% when walking outside.
I didn't have any complains when talking on the phone using P17s. I guess, they are good for it.
Your impressions match mine when compared to the NFP.

Apr 24, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #32,339 of 62,129
It’s not IEM, but I just ordered a pair of Senn’s probably last legacy for consumer HD series cans, HD560S to salute and farewell, with a side ordet of 2.5mm male to 2.5mm male balanced sure silver cable. Then I suddenly noticed it could be modded as aptx HD & LDAC wireless headphone with balanced amp! I honestly can’t tell the difference between wired/wireless now, nice buy it was! (Not for outside use, because HD560S is open-back, and the outlook is kinda too nerdy😂 But it’s good for indoor!

FF48B187-8F87-4D0A-BEC9-3E70029B0BB8.jpeg
CE29E432-7354-4303-966E-55E276448FB5.jpeg
A81AFB1A-E4C7-4531-95C5-013E913F32DA.jpeg
1703C88C-DA35-40AA-AC15-A8372D37B30A.jpeg

[Edit] outlook updated
10D516C3-2195-46A3-A384-5844114AE125.jpeg
88B77D09-9393-4C97-AFF8-57E8D28F7E4E.jpeg

BC2C164D-1D96-4804-8309-DCD4709EB400.jpeg
2C70A282-E513-4BDD-A8D7-8C7BEEDF1B2F.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #32,340 of 62,129
Are you sure that's not aptX Adaptive distortion you're hearing? Thought I had driver flex with my NFPs, but it turned out to be the codec. I get nothing remotely resembling flex when I'm only using aptX vs Adaptive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back