Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 12, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #31,831 of 62,439
I think the molds are ok - just my funny right ear. They do have a pleasing and smooth sound signature. Certainly something to be said for that. A little warm for my liking but I can adjust that.
I had the same issue with my right ear. I just got the Size 2 from UE on Saturday. Have to mold them. Shoot them an email, or reach out to them via the app.

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #31,832 of 62,439
I've only done 1 RMA and that's the unit that almost gave me an aneurism when it came in. After discovering that the problem was primarily user error and not the MT themselves (Location Services, you sly dog), I haven't felt any need to return them. They work great. No volume hunting. The HiBy WH3 and Blessing 2 have just taken up all of my listening time over the past week, so I haven't had much to say about the MT. Still well worth it, unless you need resolution monsters. In your case, I'd RMA again. I'd keep RMAing until you get a working copy. But I'm also a stubborn, principled engineer and don't like when things don't work per our requirements. We tend to make the vendor sweat until they make it right as a result.

It's possible the problem is with your buds and it's also possible the problem could be with your source. James (Cambridge) mentioned they've had problems with Huawei and OnePlus phones that were affecting the MT; somehow, OnePlus is being just a little more stubborn with compatibility. Sorry they're still frustrating you; if you can't find your groove with them, my suggestion would be to just work a return and get something else in the hopes it produces less frustration.

The JBL Club Pro+ would be my default next recommendation at the moment. Maybe the HiBy if you don't care about spatial cues and just need an energetic pair that's very decidedly V-shaped, but has enough customizability that you should be able to find a setting that your ears like. They need SpinFits, though. So much better with 'em.
Unfortunately, I'm past the 3 month return window so I don't see them refunding me. I could get the rma then sell it brand new, but idk if I would get very much for it considering the issues many of them have.

had same issue with mine too on 2 different pairs. Think will need firmware to fix.
Decided to return mine. Too many glitches be it connection or case design.

Willeither get the 1+instead or wait for something better to come out or for them to fix these issues in the next batch .
That's not a good sign lol. Might be best just waiting a couple months then I guess and hope it is a better batch. Volume issue is fairly minor so I can probably be okay for couple months, hoping a firmware fixes it.

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #31,833 of 62,439
Unfortunately, I'm past the 3 month return window so I don't see them refunding me. I could get the rma then sell it brand new, but idk if I would get very much for it considering the issues many of them have.
I've had a few of those "oh well" purchases in the past. Here's my suggestion:

Get the RMA. When it shows up, leave it boxed and keep your eye on update cycles. When that next firmware version rolls our, unbox your MTs and see if things have improved. At least in my case, I have a tendency to hyper-focus on the things in my life that need repair. Have to remind myself sometimes that it's okay to leave something incomplete/on pause.

For all you know, you could be one firmware update (phone or buds) from all this being a non-issue.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #31,834 of 62,439
I think the molds are ok - just my funny right ear. They do have a pleasing and smooth sound signature. Certainly something to be said for that. A little warm for my liking but I can adjust that.
Alright, so I just molded my Size 2s. MUCH better. During the Molding process, I left my mouth open slightly, pulled back on my ear, slotted them in and held them with slight pressure. My right ear has a better seal now. Just sharing...

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #31,835 of 62,439
Alright, so I just molded my Size 2s. MUCH better. During the Molding process, I left my mouth open slightly, pulled back on my ear, slotted them in and held them with slight pressure. My right ear has a better seal now. Just sharing...
Cool. Thanks everyone. I requested the size 2s.

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #31,837 of 62,439
to UE fits users, is the tap control not that much sensitive? I don't know if i have a defective unit because i find it hard to activate the double tap. it's miss almost all the time for me
Not defective. Touch controls on these things can be pretty wonky. They have been getting better through updates.

I usually don't use touch controls on any TWS, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #31,838 of 62,439
Been playing with my L2P
Find a pertussis preset that I think is new compared to the old app. Seems I haven't been kind to these. I had listened to them head to head tuned with the equalizer or with this presetand they sound very similar to the MT

Great south and sound stage. Vocals and mud range used to be the issue as well as over powered bass and sharp treble. But equalizer really ranges them and man they do sound good. Don't think I will miss my MT after this equalizer adjustment. Anyone using the stock sound signature would be disappointed. But now.... they sound so much better than I remember.

Anyone with these try the Riley Mackin preset

That said my top 3 for sound are still Fiil T1 pro, JBL club pro plus and MT .

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #31,839 of 62,439
Yeah, the N6P have some really fine qualities (if you can get over the initial stock sound, and after burn-in, or brain burn-in, whichever you believe in). In the end, the tuning is nice, and they actually wear more like an IEM than most TWS do, so that helps IMO. I am sorry that the Hiby are not working out great for you, but they are automatically disqualified from my list because I will not wear TWS with stems. The Hifimans actually have a better midrange than the N6P. Minus that hump in the upper mid, they are very detailed and clear, but yet rich and full.

This is where (and perhaps why) I agree with both you and @Canabuc. I ride the fine line between analytical, and fun, and like to have both if I can. This has been a VERY tough thing to find (almost unicorn(ish)), but have found a few IEMs and headphones that have done just this, for my ears. Most of the time I desire neutral because I can then change them to how I like my sound. I have yet to find anything that sounds perfect to my ears right out of the box, though I have found some that I CAN listen to without changing if I get lazy.....:) But, I am with you as far as ignoring some of the neutral offerings because while they do fit the mold for being neutral and can be re-tuned, you really can't add timbre or imaging, or even soundstage.

As an example (warning for those not interested in anything but TWS), my P1s are far from perfect out of the box, but they have the best imaging of anything (and that includes EVERYTHING over/on/in ears) I have ever heard. The soundstage is small, though not claustrophobic, but overall get the most things right that I need to have to be satisfied IMO. Then there is the FR curve. Again, it is not perfect, but it is so close to what I like that I call them perfect for me (after a bit of EQ).

I think that we can all agree that there is no such thing as perfect tuning for our ears, so we simply try and find the headphone/IEM/TWS that has the least compromises that we can find for the price we are willing to pay. This (IMO) is the whole reason us addicts keep coming back for more, hoping to find a set that is closer to that "perfect" we can find. Because, for myself, I have had many that have been plenty good enough if I were just willing to STOP... :)

I'm in the same boat and like them analytical but fun at the same time. But we can't have our cake and eat it too I guess. :smile: Well, out of the 3 IEMs in my collection, I guess the ZAX would fit that bill. They are SUPER fun sounding and have great detail as well. I've been kind of neglecting them ever since I got the Dusk and P1, but revisited them last night and man they are special to my ears (especially when running balanced with the DUW-02 cable). Honestly, the ZAX has been the most impressive out of the 3, especially given the price point. I would say their main strengths is their expansive soundstage (almost open-back headphone like) and layering capability. They can make badly recorded mainstream pop songs sound really good. The sound signature is U-shaped but not in a bad way. Vocals sound clear, perhaps slightly recessed, but with great detail. Otherwise, pretty balanced sounding. I think they do vocals better than the N6P (which were my favorite for TWS). Listening to Billie Eilish for example, sounded great on the Dusk and P1, but they sounded amazing on the ZAX with the much wider soundstage and layering. Bass is tight with good punch (maybe lacking definition), and treble is just enough where there's good detail without any harshness (there is a slight roll off at the upper treble though). They're a really versatile jack-of-all-trades type IEM. Also, depending on the source, I was running Tidal from my PC to the Hip Dac (versus using my phone), I swore some recordings sounded like I was listening to a HD audio cassette tape. Super smooth and analog sounding.

The P1's sound pretty close to the Sundara when driven out of the Hip Dac. Tuning is similar where I think there is more emphasis on mids/treble and more on the lean side. Although, I have a feeling I haven't unlocked their full potential, and will sound much different when driven by a proper desktop amp. I actually find the soundstage on the P1 to be pretty good. Still "in your head" feeling but very wide and airy compared to other IEMs/TWS.

I've been hesitant to give my impressions of the Dusk since I feel like I haven't spent enough time with them yet. My first impressions were unremarkable. They sound very good, but I think because of all the hype, I had really high expectations for them. Tonality wise, I think they are near perfect. I guess they somewhat remind me of the HD650 having a "darker" type of sound. But their biggest weakness to me is their soundstage and treble roll off. Soundstage is slightly above average at best. They sound really good, but when there are busy passages, it can get quite congested. For Vocals, I'd give them the slight edge over the P1 and the ZAX. But for acoustic guitar, they would be dead last (behind the Tevi, GT220, CX400 as well) due to the treble roll off. I actually went back to the stock tips for these. For some reason, the small tips made the soundstage even worse and narrow. The Spinfit CP155 did help with soundstage, but made the overall sound slightly leaner (may not be a bad thing). I eventually settled with medium stock tips and they sound just right.

Dunu EST112 on the way...these are gonna be the "endgame" IEMs for me (and the last purchase of the year :fingers_crossed:). I've actually been eyeing the Clairvoyance as I wanted to try an "electrostatic" IEM. But after hearing news about the EST112, seeing its FR graph, and positive early impressions, these were pretty much a must buy. :sweat_smile:

I actually don't think there will ever be "The One" perfect headphone/IEM/TWS...even if there was, I'd eventually get bored of them. I like having different flavors and options and switching it up every one in a while. Keeps things exciting! :)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #31,840 of 62,439
I'm in the same boat and like them analytical but fun at the same time. But we can't have our cake and eat it too I guess. :smile: Well, out of the 3 IEMs in my collection, I guess the ZAX would fit that bill. They are SUPER fun sounding and have great detail as well. I've been kind of neglecting them ever since I got the Dusk and P1, but revisited them last night and man they are special to my ears (especially when running balanced with the DUW-02 cable). Honestly, the ZAX has been the most impressive out of the 3, especially given the price point. I would say their main strengths is their expansive soundstage (almost open-back headphone like) and layering capability. They can make badly recorded mainstream pop songs sound really good. The sound signature is U-shaped but not in a bad way. Vocals sound clear, perhaps slightly recessed, but with great detail. Otherwise, pretty balanced sounding. I think they do vocals better than the N6P (which were my favorite for TWS). Listening to Billie Eilish for example, sounded great on the Dusk and P1, but they sounded amazing on the ZAX with the much wider soundstage and layering. Bass is tight with good punch (maybe lacking definition), and treble is just enough where there's good detail without any harshness (there is a slight roll off at the upper treble though). They're a really versatile jack-of-all-trades type IEM. Also, depending on the source, I was running Tidal from my PC to the Hip Dac (versus using my phone), I swore some recordings sounded like I was listening to a HD audio cassette tape. Super smooth and analog sounding.

The P1's sound pretty close to the Sundara when driven out of the Hip Dac. Tuning is similar where I think there is more emphasis on mids/treble and more on the lean side. Although, I have a feeling I haven't unlocked their full potential, and will sound much different when driven by a proper desktop amp. I actually find the soundstage on the P1 to be pretty good. Still "in your head" feeling but very wide and airy compared to other IEMs/TWS.

I've been hesitant to give my impressions of the Dusk since I feel like I haven't spent enough time with them yet. My first impressions were unremarkable. They sound very good, but I think because of all the hype, I had really high expectations for them. Tonality wise, I think they are near perfect. I guess they somewhat remind me of the HD650 having a "darker" type of sound. But their biggest weakness to me is their soundstage and treble roll off. Soundstage is slightly above average at best. They sound really good, but when there are busy passages, it can get quite congested. For Vocals, I'd give them the slight edge over the P1 and the ZAX. But for acoustic guitar, they would be dead last (behind the Tevi, GT220, CX400 as well) due to the treble roll off. I actually went back to the stock tips for these. For some reason, the small tips made the soundstage even worse and narrow. The Spinfit CP155 did help with soundstage, but made the overall sound slightly leaner (may not be a bad thing). I eventually settled with medium stock tips and they sound just right.

Dunu EST112 on the way...these are gonna be the "endgame" IEMs for me (and the last purchase of the year :fingers_crossed:). I've actually been eyeing the Clairvoyance as I wanted to try an "electrostatic" IEM. But after hearing news about the EST112, seeing its FR graph, and positive early impressions, these were pretty much a must buy. :sweat_smile:
Almost got the EST, but found the 3001 Pro at a price I couldn't pass up. If the EST112 is tuned at all like the 3001 Pro, you're in for a treat. I won't give any spoilers. Have a feeling they'll be a permanent fixture in your collection.

They give you tons of tips for a reason. Try the ones they make first. My shells are way smaller than yours will be; you probably won't be fussing with fit as much as I was, but anticipate they might feel weird at first.

Another day with the WH3 and they're growing on me. I really like that I can get them in single-handed. It sounds like such a minor perk, but it's tangible. This is a great pair for people who can't do HearThrough and constantly find themselves inserting and removing their earbuds throughout the day. Their "Hybrid" crossover setting is so much more consistent with my preferences than the DD-dominant one was.

I'm still not convinced they're very spacious in their representation. Staging is very narrow, but things luckily do not get that claustrophobic. Some flickering moments of brilliance in the upper midrange, too. Just wish there was more of it.

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #31,841 of 62,439
Not defective. Touch controls on these things can be pretty wonky. They have been getting better through updates.

I usually don't use touch controls on any TWS, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

thanks. that settles it for me then. i guess i'll be using the geminis most of the time because of this issue with the ue fits

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #31,842 of 62,439
thanks. that settles it for me then. i guess i'll be using the geminis most of the time because of this issue with the ue fits
I'll mention if it improves in the future. Hopefully the Gemini remains problem-free on the next firmware update.

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #31,843 of 62,439
I'll mention if it improves in the future. Hopefully the Gemini remains problem-free on the next firmware update.

thank You. it's been almost a week now since the latest update on my gemini and so far no problems, no battery drain issue. it's smooth.
what i notice is the right earbud seems to drain a lot faster than the left earbud when using it.

the right earbud seems to be more active because it connects automatically as soon as you pull it out of the chamber.
the left earbud can be used independently but needs to connect manually.

UPDATE:

just finished updating UE fits to the latest firmware. single tap has been added. designated single taps to +/-volume while double tap L and R is play/pause. single tap is more easier to activate. but when doing double taps what happens is the single tap is more recognized by the earbuds and still double tap is still a miss for almost all the time.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #31,844 of 62,439
Funny as in it feels loose or finicky? You may want to consider bugging UE to send you the Size 2 tips. Had the same issue myself where I never felt confident about the way it would stay in my ear. Going up a size did help. Left was fine the first time around fwiw.

Started putting together another massive demo playlist last night since I was getting way too familiar with the tracks I was using. May be your cup of tea, may not, but I tried to put a little bit of everything I could think of into it. It's not a single-sitting sort of playlist, but kudos to you if you want to give it a shot anyway. Just know the material in this playlist is what I'm using to demo; some people are into that sort of thing:

http://open.qobuz.com/playlist/5968984

Disclaimer: Not all content in that playlist is family-friendly. Listen responsibly.

Thanks for sharing. Will take a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back