Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 16, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #30,751 of 62,573
Is there a TOTL wireless model yet? I'm using apple earpod pro, and they're ok. I don't get the best seal, I'll pass the test, then fail the test, then wiggle them deeper and pass again. I'm not going to read through all 2051 pages, hoping for cliff notes.
I tried Louis Vuitton's version, I don't get a seal at all, so whatever it's rebranded from probably won't do so well. I'm using A18t at the gym, and it's not ideal with a 2.5 balanced cable.
Really hard to give you a recommendation based on the information you have given about what you are looking for. Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch seems to be pretty popular atm. There are others that sound better, but don't have features. Fitment is an issue with others. There doesn't seem to be one BEST one yet. There are a lot that do some things very well, but others, not so well....... You might have to do a smidge of research to find what you are looking for.

I would start by sharing the type of sound signature you are looking for, then I'm sure there will be some good recommendations for you.

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #30,752 of 62,573
Really hard to give you a recommendation based on the information you have given about what you are looking for. Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch seems to be pretty popular atm. There are others that sound better, but don't have features. Fitment is an issue with others. There doesn't seem to be one BEST one yet. There are a lot that do some things very well, but others, not so well....... You might have to do a smidge of research to find what you are looking for.

I would start by sharing the type of sound signature you are looking for, then I'm sure there will be some good recommendations for you.
They're not going to hold a candle to the 64Audios, though, so I hope he's ready to take a major step backwards in resolution in order to have that wireless convenience.

The TWS game, as it stands right now, is still heavily steeped in compromise. There have been a couple pairs that wowed me for how many of the boxes they can check given their price point, but I don't know if they're going to really fall within your sonic requirements. If it's purely a gym-based set, try to find pairs that favor a secure/comfortable fit; something like the Jabra Elite Active 75t (once you've swapped out the tips) or Ultimate Ears' UE FITS would be my suggested starting points, depending on which price to entry you're comfortable with.

The UEs will probably be the most CIEM-like, both in terms of relative fit and overall sound signature, even though they're only using a single dynamic driver. If you need a multi-driver setup, the options list gets narrower. Those choices include:
  • Noble Falcon Pro - 1 DD, 2 Knowles BAs per ear; battery life is good, fit is wonky and driver flex becomes a real issue if pressure across both sides isn't neutral. Since there's no vent to help with this, I don't know if I'd consider them a good gym pair
  • Status Between Pro - Can't speak on them any more than they're a multi-driver set like the Noble. I'll find out in April if they're worth anything
  • Galaxy Buds Pro - Can't speak on these either, though seems they're mostly favorable here. Based on the shape, I'm not sure how secure they'd be long-term
It'll also depend on what you're listening to, primarily. While I can advocate for the EA75t, it's only on a limited set of genres.

For what it's worth, by the way, coming in and saying you're going to ignore 2,000 pages of time and energy people spent already answering your questions in favor of being spoon-fed is really bad practice. Take a chunk at a time if you have to, read only the last 20 pages...do whatever, but don't be rude. Meh, it's water under the bridge

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #30,753 of 62,573
They're a little lower-profile than the stock MT buds (wider bore, flatter top, shorter sleeve), so you shouldn't have any fit issues with them. Come to think of it, I don't think there's a single case they haven't fit into as well as or better using the Final TWS tips than with the stock tips. One major caveat is that, due to the thinner core, these can be tricky to put on some of the wider-bore TWS sets out there. It took some work, but I have managed to fit them to both the NFPs and the Technics.

As for material, it's a really soft silicone with a core that has almost no thickness of its own. The inner bore itself looks rifled (if that makes sense), or with little grooves going from inside-out. I have had zero issues with itchy ears, even with a little sweat working on them. I took the MT/Final combo out for a walk to the convenience store last night. Even though I didn't have ANC, I couldn't hear any of the busy road traffic once volume got to 50%. No sonic changes from turning my head or walking briskly, either (don't judge me, it was cold).

It was probably a matter of meeting the price point, but I really think these are the tips that should have shipped with the MTs. Maybe it's just me; guess I'll see what other people think.
This is the issue I had with the regular type e also.... Thanks for sharing your impressions. Looks like ima' have to get some for myself... :)

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #30,754 of 62,573

Good to know. I like JHA Layla and A18t. I like CF andromeda but it's a little too fatiguing, and I like the sure se846.
The flimsy silicone eartips have fit issues. I have a wide yet flat/narrow ear canal. Foam tips do ok, not great.
Bose's quiet comfort 15 or whatever the 3.5 plug in version with attached battery had a perfect fit in-ear, but the sound wasn't very clear. I wonder what the new bose sounds like.
The airpod pro has a great sound for the convenience factor and price, but the bass/seal is too fickle, and both earpieces failed at different times under warranty due to a crackle sound.
The cambridge appears to have the silicone that gives me fit issues. I'd go the snugz route, but I'd have to dismount every time I want to charge.

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #30,756 of 62,573
Good to know. I like JHA Layla and A18t. I like CF andromeda but it's a little too fatiguing, and I like the sure se846.
The flimsy silicone eartips have fit issues. I have a wide yet flat/narrow ear canal. Foam tips do ok, not great.
Bose's quiet comfort 15 or whatever the 3.5 plug in version with attached battery had a perfect fit in-ear, but the sound wasn't very clear. I wonder what the new bose sounds like.
The airpod pro has a great sound for the convenience factor and price, but the bass/seal is too fickle, and both earpieces failed at different times under warranty due to a crackle sound.
The cambridge appears to have the silicone that gives me fit issues. I'd go the snugz route, but I'd have to dismount every time I want to charge.
Apple has apparently fixed this issue; AirPods Pro manufacturers after October 2020 should not have this issue begin. The issue actually affected both ANC and bass performance on top of the audible crackles and clicks.

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #30,757 of 62,573
This is the issue I had with the regular type e also.... Thanks for sharing your impressions. Looks like ima' have to get some for myself... :)
Might be a little easier since the stem is shorter, too. I've found the easiest way to get these (and the SpinFits) onto most sets is to invert the shroud first and use it as a gripping surface. Then I just walk them around the circumference until they're fully seated. Feels weird at first, but you'll get the hang of it.
Looks like the 85ts can be had for $138 with promo code "tg694hffv" today.
Think that's pretty close to what I paid as well. Is that from the Jabra's eBay refurb listings? So far, have gotten two sets that way without issue. You just don't get the retail box, so factor that into your decision. Then again, they didn't give me a retail box when I bought the Link 380 directly from their website, either.

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #30,758 of 62,573
Think that's pretty close to what I paid as well. Is that from the Jabra's eBay refurb listings? So far, have gotten two sets that way without issue. You just don't get the retail box, so factor that into your decision. Then again, they didn't give me a retail box when I bought the Link 380 directly from their website, either.
Brand New. They are having a one day 40% off sale off all products today

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #30,759 of 62,573
Note to self, when looking for solutions to driver flex, do not consult Yahoo...yikes:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/...-uyyxl8AkyiI_EBf313xavCeRhR-Om9ZO0eYnM6kcX4a8

Great deal, then! Remember for those looking: there are foam tips available for the 85t and the Elite Active 75t sound absolutely stellar with the Final TWS tips. Can't go wrong with either one for a good work-from-home set. Both sets support multi-pairing, which has made it very easy to bounce back and forth between workstations.

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #30,760 of 62,573
They're not going to hold a candle to the 64Audios, though, so I hope he's ready to take a major step backwards in resolution in order to have that wireless convenience.

The TWS game, as it stands right now, is still heavily steeped in compromise. There have been a couple pairs that wowed me for how many of the boxes they can check given their price point, but I don't know if they're going to really fall within your sonic requirements. If it's purely a gym-based set, try to find pairs that favor a secure/comfortable fit; something like the Jabra Elite Active 75t (once you've swapped out the tips) or Ultimate Ears' UE FITS would be my suggested starting points, depending on which price to entry you're comfortable with.

The UEs will probably be the most CIEM-like, both in terms of relative fit and overall sound signature, even though they're only using a single dynamic driver. If you need a multi-driver setup, the options list gets narrower. Those choices include:
  • Noble Falcon Pro - 1 DD, 2 Knowles BAs per ear; battery life is good, fit is wonky and driver flex becomes a real issue if pressure across both sides isn't neutral. Since there's no vent to help with this, I don't know if I'd consider them a good gym pair
  • Status Between Pro - Can't speak on them any more than they're a multi-driver set like the Noble. I'll find out in April if they're worth anything
  • Galaxy Buds Pro - Can't speak on these either, though seems they're mostly favorable here. Based on the shape, I'm not sure how secure they'd be long-term
It'll also depend on what you're listening to, primarily. While I can advocate for the EA75t, it's only on a limited set of genres.

For what it's worth, by the way, coming in and saying you're going to ignore 2,000 pages of time and energy people spent already answering your questions in favor of being spoon-fed is really bad practice. Take a chunk at a time if you have to, read only the last 20 pages...do whatever, but don't be rude.
2017 info is outdated. I don't mean to be rude, and before I bought he SP1000 is did read the entire 2000 page megathread.
The problem with 2000 page megathreads are while they are a perfect snapshot in time, they're outdated with (now) false information. The SP1000 is no longer the best, the SP2000 is within AK. Many of these pages are going to be talking about firmware issues which are now updated. It's hard to read the entire journal of a product, but trust me I will and have read all 2,000 pages (and all the privately reviewed from each user like twister) when I'm inspired.
The main reason I don't want to read 2017 material is we'd be talking about a lot of discontinued models, and problems on current models that are fixed by firmware, or now on a next gen. Sorry if I came off too brash, I can see that I rubbed some people here the wrong way and I didn't mean to be rude. Sorry about that. I did follow this thread in 2018 which is where I learned about LV's version, and I came to the conclusion that in-ear wired versions where far better for me, this is before my requirements changed from the best portable sound in world, to the best gym-friendly sounding wireless. I also read the last 5 pages, and realized this isn't a TOTL wireless thread, but quite a universal all encompassing thread about wireless.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #30,761 of 62,573
2017 info is outdated. I don't mean to be rude, and before I bought he SP1000 is did read the entire 2000 page megathread.
The problem with 2000 page megathreads are while they are a perfect snapshot in time, they're outdated with (now) false information. The SP1000 is no longer the best, the SP2000 is within AK. Many of these pages are going to be talking about firmware issues which are now updated. It's hard to read the entire journal of a product, but trust me I will and have read all 2,000 pages (and all the privately reviewed from each user like twister) when I'm inspired.
The main reason I don't want to read 2017 material is we'd be talking about a lot of discontinued models, and problems on current models that are fixed by firmware, or now on a next gen. Sorry if I came off too brash, I can see that I rubbed some people here the wrong way and I didn't mean to be rude. Sorry about that. I did follow this thread in 2018 which is where I learned about LV's version, and I came to the conclusion that in-ear wired versions where far better for me, this is before my requirements changed from the best portable sound in world, to the best gym-friendly sounding wireless. I also read the last 5 pages, and realized this isn't a TOTL wireless thread, but quite a universal all encompassing thread about wireless.
No worries, bud. I understand it's a lot to work through, which is why I suggested only going back about 20 pages (which will only take you back a week) to get the basic gestalt.

As for it not being a TOTL-dedicated thread, those are still pretty few and far between at the moment. A couple of us high-rollers are taking chances with the ones that do come up for sale, though. The Noble Falcon Pro were the first to come to mind, followed by the KEF Mu3 and the upcoming B&W Pi5 and Pi7 (which may end up just being pretty lifestyle buds, but they're certainly going to be the most expensive available). Devialet's still plagued with problems, which takes the Gemini out of contention (and out of stock on most sites). Honestly, you might be better off looking for a BT 2-pin adapter for your a18t. Something like TRN's BT20 would start you off at the budget end, but Fiio's UTWS3 might be more up your alley and allow you to continue using what you already enjoy.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #30,762 of 62,573
Maybe it's time to have each TWS model in its own thread.

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #30,763 of 62,573
Maybe it's time to have each TWS model in its own thread.
If anybody starts one (or more), I'd appreciate a mention in them so I know where to look.

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #30,764 of 62,573
I got this email too. Ugh. My finger is on the buy button as I type, for the 85T's that I had once. Price is just too damn good.

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #30,765 of 62,573

For what it's worth, by the way, coming in and saying you're going to ignore 2,000 pages of time and energy people spent already answering your questions in favor of being spoon-fed is really bad practice. Take a chunk at a time if you have to, read only the last 20 pages...do whatever, but don't be rude. Meh, it's water under the bridge
For anyone who is interested, on UE's site, the UE Fits are $249 with free Wonderboom. There is also a coupon code out there for 15% off. Not sure if you can post that kind of code here but you should be able to find if via Google. I just got the UE Fits and a Wonderboom 2 (which I'll prob flip on eBay) for $232 all in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back