Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 14, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #30,691 of 62,490
Does make me wonder if.all those good soundcore reviews though did have some paid advertising but in.
I literally bought the liberty or 2 pro and returned an hour later.
They felt like crap in my ears despite trying all the tip sizes. Controls are very limited and the sound was nothing special. Yes one can EQ them which I like but I hated the form factor and lack of controls.
The stems were so long they run against my cheeks causing microphones especially if mics are active.

My freebuds pro I just got have a shorter stem and much better fit and comfort. They only lack an equalizer making me have to use wavelet. But even stock EQ is nice. Wavelet just adds that treble detail I want.
Agree. The Liberty Air 2 Pro -- or whatever the $150 TWS ANC buds made by Soundcore are called -- were AWFUL to my ears. Artificial, dry, no musicality. They were the bad rock supergroup -- Chickenfoot, maybe? -- of TWS earbuds. Wonderfully tuned individual elements that sounded like crap when blended. It's almost like Anker had engineers create ideal bass, mids and treble in a vacuum and never combine them into a sound signature.

Different than the ones I think you tested, as the Liberty 2 Air Pro's don't have stems. But yeah, I couldn't stand them despite the gushing reviews in forums and on YouTube.

Different strokes, as they say ...

Mar 14, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #30,692 of 62,490
Agree. The Liberty Air 2 Pro -- or whatever the $150 TWS ANC buds made by Soundcore are called -- were AWFUL to my ears. Artificial, dry, no musicality. They were the bad rock supergroup -- Chickenfoot, maybe? -- of TWS earbuds. Wonderfully tuned individual elements that sounded like crap when blended. It's almost like Anker had engineers create ideal bass, mids and treble in a vacuum and never combine them into a sound signature.

Different than the ones I think you tested, as the Liberty 2 Air Pro's don't have stems. But yeah, I couldn't stand them despite the gushing reviews in forums and on YouTube.

Different strokes, as they say ...
Think you're confusing the Liberty 2 Pro (stemless, dual-driver) and the Liberty Air 2 Pro (with stem, single driver).

I'll agree that the tuning isn't exceptional, but I was happier with the whole package than I was just the overall sound quality. Before prices started dropping left and right, I thought they were a pretty solid value, but there's just too much competition at the $120-150 range. In a vacuum, they're really not that bad.

Regarding stem comfort, I found these things have a very specific way they like to go in. They are earbuds first, so forget about deep insertion. Also, I found that they seem to fit better when the stem is rotated a little more upward (if that makes sense); don't try to have them point straight downward.

Had to sacrifice a SpinFit tip for it (ripped the core), but managed to get the CP360 onto the NFPs. Really had no choice since fitment with the stock tips is really finicky. Too shallow and you might as well be listening to horns, too deep and the driver flex is unbearable. With the Medium CP360, though, even the sibilance issues are toned down. Might still run through the gamut of aftermarket tips on them, but I'm happy with this pairing for now. Extremely balanced sound all around, but very revealing of poor recordings. "Organic Hard Drive" on Lucid Planet's Lucid Planet II demonstrates this extremely easily. I don't think you're going to be able to listen to bootleg albums on YouTube and Soundcloud mixes without hearing compression artifacts left and right.

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #30,693 of 62,490
Cut Oluv some slack. He's Austrian -- they may be among the most blunt people on Earth. Totally unafraid to tell it like it is or how they see it is. I'm serious.

if he's naturally blunt, then he also doesn't need or care any slack from anyone by nature :grin:

audio is a very subjective hobby. we can like certain sound signature, certain fitting, esthetics, degree of features (especially in TWS world). there will be things that we would not like that turns out to be loved by others... nothing wrong with that. bashing others by calling their ears damaged, having subpar taste, crappy system, a shill, etc, are straight up unnecessary.

or maybe it's just because I'm asian:sweat_smile::pray:

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #30,694 of 62,490
Think you're confusing the Liberty 2 Pro (stemless, dual-driver) and the Liberty Air 2 Pro (with stem, single driver).

I'll agree that the tuning isn't exceptional, but I was happier with the whole package than I was just the overall sound quality. Before prices started dropping left and right, I thought they were a pretty solid value, but there's just too much competition at the $120-150 range. In a vacuum, they're really not that bad.

Regarding stem comfort, I found these things have a very specific way they like to go in. They are earbuds first, so forget about deep insertion. Also, I found that they seem to fit better when the stem is rotated a little more upward (if that makes sense); don't try to have them point straight downward.

Had to sacrifice a SpinFit tip for it (ripped the core), but managed to get the CP360 onto the NFPs. Really had no choice since fitment with the stock tips is really finicky. Too shallow and you might as well be listening to horns, too deep and the driver flex is unbearable. With the Medium CP360, though, even the sibilance issues are toned down. Might still run through the gamut of aftermarket tips on them, but I'm happy with this pairing for now. Extremely balanced sound all around, but very revealing of poor recordings. "Organic Hard Drive" on Lucid Planet's Lucid Planet II demonstrates this extremely easily. I don't think you're going to be able to listen to bootleg albums on YouTube and Soundcloud mixes without hearing compression artifacts left and right.
Yep, you're right. I tried the Liberty 2 Pro, not the Air. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #30,695 of 62,490
if he's naturally blunt, then he also doesn't need or care any slack from anyone by nature :grin:

audio is a very subjective hobby. we can like certain sound signature, certain fitting, esthetics, degree of features (especially in TWS world). there will be things that we would not like that turns out to be loved by others... nothing wrong with that. bashing others by calling their ears damaged, having subpar taste, crappy system, a shill, etc, are straight up unnecessary.

or maybe it's just because I'm asian:sweat_smile::pray:
Hoo, boy. If only you knew what other reviewers like scarbir had to say about him.

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #30,696 of 62,490
Truthfully I have no dog in that fight. They are great sounding earbuds especially for the price. Maybe his tuning is very good.

I am just a believer that my ears and hearing differ from yours or his. This is why I prefer to EQ them myself. I am over 50 years old and likely have different shaped ears than him as well. His tuning even if good may not fit what I need.

With the T1 pro I can adjust the sound signature for what I like.
Chances are he will have lowered the bass pushed up the mids to get a more neutral sound as the EFP see tuned bass heavier than stock Fiil T1PRO
Well there's two ways of doing things, one is that something gets a pass or fail if it's not to your liking, the other is to write to to a casual audience and think everything is fine. Most reviewers do the latter so it's nice that someone assesses them more bluntly and not conform to how things should sound due to something like Harman target. My issue with rating numbers is they don't always add up to my critical feedback mention something like "these sometimes have bluetooth dropouts" or "I don't like the eartip quality".

Here's an extreme example of Pass or Fail :p https://www.head-fi.org/members/vaziyetu.405048/#showcase-reviews

Ironic as he likely is getting paid for his name on those.
It goes both ways as most of the YouTubers regularly get products for free. They don't bother buying products. El Jefe doesn't bother trying Windows 10 Bluetooth because it's "too cumbersome".

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #30,697 of 62,490
I had issues with the MT as well but using different tips and going to smallest wings got rid of it.

I can't get the Oppo in Canada but in that style if ndroid the Huawei is a nice choice with fantastic ANC.
Thanks!
Do you mean the FreeBuds3?
I couldn't find any review focused on the sound... and to be honest Huawei is not a brand well known for this...
Have you seen any good review?
Thanks!

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #30,698 of 62,490
Cut Oluv some slack. He's Austrian -- they may be among the most blunt people on Earth. Totally unafraid to tell it like it is or how they see it is. I'm serious.
Finally I understand which / what Oluv you guys are talking about :) Somehow YT stopped recommending his vids in my algo .. then again, not much for those YT reviews anymore anyways .. they are kinda all the same and take way too long listing all the obvious specs :D

But I recall him ranting over the ... what was it, the L2P ? revealing how much Anker would pay him for each sold unit and such :D

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #30,699 of 62,490
Question regarding the Fiil T1 pro, even after reading reviews and watching videos, I am not 100% sure which side activates what (because Chinese Audio) ... just from my own perception I want to say that LEFT long presses toggles through ANC on / off, while RIGHT toggles through ambient on / off ...
Too bad I can't record the little voices in my head (I mean the ones coming from the buds), I would not mind learning word by word what those Chinese ladies are saying exactly, as I have other Chinese buds.

In general I's love to record and compare those voice prompts ... maybe have an awards show :) I recall calling one the most 'snotty', but already forgot which one that was ... some are really friendly and uplifting, other are just annoying :D

What's your favorite?

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #30,700 of 62,490
Question regarding the Fiil T1 pro, even after reading reviews and watching videos, I am not 100% sure which side activates what (because Chinese Audio) ... just from my own perception I want to say that LEFT long presses toggles through ANC on / off, while RIGHT toggles through ambient on / off ...
Too bad I can't record the little voices in my head (I mean the ones coming from the buds), I would not mind learning word by word what those Chinese ladies are saying exactly, as I have other Chinese buds.

In general I's love to record and compare those voice prompts ... maybe have an awards show :) I recall calling one the most 'snotty', but already forgot which one that was ... some are really friendly and uplifting, other are just annoying :D

What's your favorite?
JwyxglZ.jpg

Have you enabled both ANC and ambient mode options on both sides of the earbuds? I can't remember which side controls what function in the default state as I have enabled all the functions.

The voice prompts meanings in order if all controls under the MAF section are enabled (from ANC and ambient off state):

Jiang zao kai - ANC on
Jian ting kai - ambient mode on
MAF guan - ANC and ambient off

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #30,701 of 62,490
JwyxglZ.jpg

Have you enabled both ANC and ambient mode options on both sides of the earbuds? I can't remember which side controls what function in the default state as I have enabled all the functions.

The voice prompts meanings in order if all controls under the MAF section are enabled (from ANC and ambient off state):

Jiang zao kai - ANC on
Jian ting kai - ambient mode on
MAF guan - ANC and ambient off
Thanks for taking the time to respond!
I should have mentioned that I am on iOS and do NOT have the app.

trying to get along your transcribed Chinese I get on the left:
Jiang zao kai (with uplifting high beeps)
Jiang zao guan (with lower beeps)
Right:
Jian ting kai
Jian ting Guan
Same beeps. So I guess this confirms my initial feeling. Only that because I am app-less, this is mapped to 2 sides for me.
Time to study Chinese :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #30,702 of 62,490
Thanks for taking the time to respond!
I should have mentioned that I am on iOS and do NOT have the app.

trying to get along your transcribed Chinese I get on the left:
Jiang zao kai (with uplifting high beeps)
Jiang zao guan (with lower beeps)
Right:
Jian ting kai
Jian ting Guan
Same beeps. So I guess this confirms my initial feeling. Only that because I am app-less, this is mapped to 2 sides for me.
Time to study Chinese :wink:
I guess you have it correct. 👍

Jiang zao - reduce noise, also known as noise reduction
Jian ting - listen simultaneously, also known as ambient mode
Kai - switch on
Guan - switch off

Actually the Chinese on the buds are not very descriptive even for someone who understands Chinese. I guess the technology is still relatively new and the Chinese words are newly coined and not commonly heard.

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #30,703 of 62,490
I guess you have it correct. 👍

Jiang zao - reduce noise, also known as noise reduction
Jian ting - listen simultaneously, also known as ambient mode
Kai - switch on
Guan - switch off

Actually the Chinese on the buds are not very descriptive even for someone who understands Chinese. I guess the technology is still relatively new and the Chinese words are newly coined and not commonly heard.
Understandable .. and fascinating ... I know the sound of 'connected' (but no idea how to transcribe) ... and my funniest example is that one of my Sabbat X12 pairs is bilingual, one side speaks English, the other one Chinese ... I know I could possibly rectify that with a hard reset ... but this is fun & unique
Don't get me started on those bluetooth commends in German :)

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #30,704 of 62,490
Thanks!
Do you mean the FreeBuds3?
I couldn't find any review focused on the sound... and to be honest Huawei is not a brand well known for this...
Have you seen any good review?
Thanks!

Freebuds pro.
Amazing ANC, transparency, secure fit. Wireless charging. Good sound. Full controls. Multi pairing.
So far it and the Jabras are the only 2 buds I would consider as all arounders. Meaning that they tick every Buc as far as features and functionalities.

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #30,705 of 62,490

What's your favorite?

You can customize this. Something that sound like chin chin Thai is ambient ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back