Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 4, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #30,106 of 63,212
They may be used for workouts but these days the workouts are not that rigorous so the Sony over ears do this job.
The app looks decent on the Melomania ........does it have good tight bass?
I think I had more or less decided on the JBL as the MW2 has gone off Ebay and dont really want to fork out £279 for a new pair.
I paid all in about 380$ Canadian after tax for MTW2.it is about 215 Pounds.

I have 1 week to return them to Amazon. Maybe you can buy from Amazon?

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #30,107 of 63,212
so jabra elite 85t is your recommendation actually, right?

thanks for your mini-review my friend
My 2 cents if you like the fit of the 85t they are a great all around earbud. They are not the best in anyone category but are strong with a large feature set you can't go well g with them.
I chose not to keep mine as my 1st priority was a more audiophile sound quality but otherwise they sound overall quote good and non fatiguing.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #30,108 of 63,212
Checks with the review I just read clocking them in at just under 4 hours of continuous play. I have a feeling Sennheiser's Integrated Circuitry isn't very power-efficient. I was just about to pull the trigger on them and the Technics, but the battery life on both were pretty instant turnoffs. Guess I need a better justification for something either pair brings to the table that something else I have doesn't do already.

This is why I think I may just keep the cx400bt and the MT or JBL.
Cx400bt sound about as good as MTW2 with no ANC. So battery reviews have it more like 5 and half hours.
Still get the great sounds and touch controls. And only cost me 100$US.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #30,109 of 63,212
I wonder what Sennheiser's testing conditions were. 50% with SBC? 4 hours is about the norm you'd see with something like the AP and APP, but battery life will only get worse with time though as well :/
on their site their testing parameters was AAC no ambient or ANC or other high fidelity modes or EQ.
Also volume set to 50% which is a joke for these.

Will be returning mine since the ANC is not all that and can have the great sound from the cx400bt and the Melomania touch or the JBL for the price I paid for the MTW2.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #30,110 of 63,212
on their site their testing parameters was AAC no ambient or ANC or other high fidelity modes or EQ.
Also volume set to 50% which is a joke for these.

Will be returning mine since the ANC is not all that and can have the great sound from the cx400bt and the Melomania touch or the JBL for the price I paid for the MTW2.

I don't think there is any headphone I own (BT or otherwise) where I need to set the volume above 50% :p Though I generally listen pretty quietly (70-ish dB). I think the highest I've ever done was 65-75% volume for a pair of HE-560 driven out of an iPhone. I can definitely see the addition of a higher bitrate codec (AAC can be pretty efficient) and ANC eating up ⅓ of the battery.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #30,111 of 63,212
I don't think there is any headphone I own (BT or otherwise) where I need to set the volume above 50% :p Though I generally listen pretty quietly (70-ish dB). I think the highest I've ever done was 65-75% volume for a pair of HE-560 driven out of an iPhone. I can definitely see the addition of a higher bitrate codec (AAC can be pretty efficient) and ANC eating up ⅓ of the battery.

Headphone 50% not same as earbud 50% and MTW2 not same as another companies 50%.
Sound guys test all their earbuds at 75db as a fair comparison

I that test with ANC on they got just under 4 hours. APP got 5:06
Cx400bt got 5:18

4 hours not great especially for mediocre ANC

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #30,112 of 63,212
Headphone 50% not same as earbud 50% and MTW2 not same as another companies 50%.
Sound guys test all their earbuds at 75db as a fair comparison

I that test with ANC on they got just under 4 hours. APP got 5:06
Cx400bt got 5:18

4 hours not great especially for mediocre ANC
I specifically said BT or otherwise to fill in the void of an IEM. In general IEMs are quite a bit easier to drive (there are exceptions, but they are rare), so 50% on a full-sized typically will require less than 50% to reach the same volume on an IEM or TWS. My hardest to drive headphone (HE-560 which is a full size, no surprise) only needs to get to like 70% to have sufficient volume. I listen to my APP at around 38% and my APM at 44%. My Euclid driven out of the UTWS 3 is around 33%. My UE Fits are around 31%, same with the HiFiMan TWS800.

I'm surprised the APP got 5 hours, that's actually impressive. 4 hours is more akin to what Apple quoted for their original AirPods which was good enough, but not great.

Edit: one thing I have learned is that Head-fiers in general tend to listen a lot louder than I do. I remember going to a meet some years back, saw someone crank up the volume to almost twice what I was demoing it before at the HiFiMan table. I guess I might be the outcast when it comes to volume.

Edit 2: It also depends on what you're listening to too though. Loudness war era and philosophy stuff requires a lot less volume to get to volume than stuff that isn't recorded as loud and with better dynamic range.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #30,113 of 63,212
Hello everyone, perhaps someone would know the answer to this.

With LE Audio coming this year, is it possible for a headset, whose Bluetooth SoC has been certified for BT 5.2 (with proper firmware upgrades and passing through appropriate certification bodies) be updated to support LE audio?

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #30,114 of 63,212
Hello everyone, perhaps someone would know the answer to this.

With LE Audio coming this year, is it possible for a headset, whose Bluetooth SoC has been certified for BT 5.2 (with proper firmware upgrades and passing through appropriate certification bodies) be updated to support LE audio?
If they have the proper hardware support, it's possible for them to add it in. Whether they can or whether they will are two different questions though. Even if they can, I doubt they will. Far more profitable to make you buy a new product if you want said feature compared to a net loss of profit to put it in old products.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #30,115 of 63,212
even eqed in your opinion, can the MTs bring out more detail than the N6pro? I have a feeling i'll move mids and treble up quite a bit and who knows with bass. any characteristics or anything for comparisons of MT and N6P i'd appreciate if you don't mind.
All this is with comparison between the two in mind: I can say (and I bet I'm not alone in this one) that the MT definately cannot bring out more detail than the N6Pro. That isn't the end of the story though. N6Pro has VERY weak bass. Oh it's there, and you can EQ it up, but when there is a bass heavy song playing I notice distortion in the sub-bass. There IS no mid bass to speak of, and the upper bass is recessed. While the bass on the MT is quite lovely (if you EQ it down a bit, because it is just too strong for me out of the box). It has really good sub-bass, and good mid bass, and good upper bass (these seem to have the biggest boost in sub-bass to my ears).

As for the mids and treble, the N6pro have some of the smoothest mids and best detail retrieval of TWS I have yet to hear. At first listen I thought they sounded very grainy, but found out that these are indeed pretty picky about the quality of music you feed them. They are a mid forward tuned set of TWS. I find I have to EQ down the 1k and 2k region a bit on these. The MT have a really warm and full sounding mid, but they are very recessed a lot (I find I have to EQ up the 1k and 2k regions). The treble is where these are not my favorite. You can EQ up the treble but it doesn't make them better at details, because when you do this, the treble becomes pretty thin sounding (though remember I am speaking comparatively here). Cymbals are the worst offender for this. These are not so much a V but more like a V with a broken right arm... :)

Overall, I would say I like the N6Pro better for rock and classical (anything I might want better detail). I like the MT better overall because they seem better matched to play just about anything, if you can live without the really good detail retrieval (they are more of a fun sound). This is not to say the detail retrieval is horrible on these, but compared to the N6Pro they are.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #30,116 of 63,212
All this is with comparison between the two in mind: I can say (and I bet I'm not alone in this one) that the MT definately cannot bring out more detail than the N6Pro. That isn't the end of the story though. N6Pro has VERY weak bass. Oh it's there, and you can EQ it up, but when there is a bass heavy song playing I notice distortion in the sub-bass. There IS no mid bass to speak of, and the upper bass is recessed. While the bass on the MT is quite lovely (if you EQ it down a bit, because it is just too strong for me out of the box). It has really good sub-bass, and good mid bass, and good upper bass (these seem to have the biggest boost in sub-bass to my ears).

As for the mids and treble, the N6pro have some of the smoothest mids and best detail retrieval of TWS I have yet to hear. At first listen I thought they sounded very grainy, but found out that these are indeed pretty picky about the quality of music you feed them. They are a mid forward tuned set of TWS. I find I have to EQ down the 1k and 2k region a bit on these. The MT have a really warm and full sounding mid, but they are very recessed a lot (I find I have to EQ up the 1k and 2k regions). The treble is where these are not my favorite. You can EQ up the treble but it doesn't make them better at details, because when you do this, the treble becomes pretty thin sounding (though remember I am speaking comparatively here). Cymbals are the worst offender for this. These are not so much a V but more like a V with a broken right arm... :)

Overall, I would say I like the N6Pro better for rock and classical (anything I might want better detail). I like the MT better overall because they seem better matched to play just about anything, if you can live without the really good detail retrieval (they are more of a fun sound). This is not to say the detail retrieval is horrible on these, but compared to the N6Pro they are.
Can't remember if you've tried the UEs. I would say similar things you have about the N6 Pro with the exception of subbass being plenty healthy if someone wants to EQ it all in there. I haven't wanted more than what the UE Signature curve (or whatever it's called) provides.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #30,118 of 63,212
Checks with the review I just read clocking them in at just under 4 hours of continuous play. I have a feeling Sennheiser's Integrated Circuitry isn't very power-efficient. I was just about to pull the trigger on them and the Technics, but the battery life on both were pretty instant turnoffs. Guess I need a better justification for something either pair brings to the table that something else I have doesn't do already.

I usually don't need ANC on, so I could probably get 4-5 hours out of them. I don't have a usage scenario where I'd ever need that much straight battery life. Today using them close to 2 hours in a row was an anomaly. But that could change. I ordered the Technics the other day but cancelled the order but might re-order. The reviews of those do say they reach the advertised battery life of 6.5 hours WITH ANC ON. I would like to think the reviewers were listening to them at over 50% volume but they did not specify. 6.5 hours at a good volume with ANC on would be plenty for me, cause they would last longer with ANC off, and plenty for pretty much any usage scenario I can ever think of getting into, besides very long international trips. Nothing I will encounter anytime soon, and one can just bring a pair of wired buds with to fill in gaps on such journeys.

I do really like the feature the Senns have of pausing the music when you take one out of your ear. That comes in handy a lot, more so than the ambient mode. But I think the Technics will be tried next.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #30,119 of 63,212
I think the Technics will be tried next.
I was in the process of typing up a justification for why I shouldn't order the Technics, but I think I've run out of reasons. I do know that WorldWideStereo has them available for $200 and take Affirm, so I can at least start the order and just pay them off after the next billing cycle.

Enablers. You guys are enablers. All of you.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #30,120 of 63,212
I was in the process of typing up a justification for why I shouldn't order the Technics, but I think I've run out of reasons. I do know that WorldWideStereo has them available for $200 and take Afterpay, so I can at least start the order and just pay them off after the next billing cycle.

Enablers. You guys are enablers. All of you.

I love my T90's, and they are very detailed cans, with solid bass. So I can't see the Technics not being fun enough for me. They seem to have solid bass, just not MTW2 levels of bass, but bass that extends well. Definitely worth a listen.

Also, using the Senns again after the JBL Club Pro Plus was a pleasure because the touch controls work so much better. You need that big round surface area for touch controls to work well. I, at least, use the on bud touch controls a lot to skip tracks and occasionally to turn on ambient mode or turn ANC on or off. The Technics have that surface area.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back