Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 2, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #28,081 of 62,402
I think closest you can get to a custom is the the Ultimate Ears Fits.

Those look interesting but not quite what I'm looking for. It sounds like those offer a better / more-customized fit, but not the full custom fit experience. To be honest, I'm not sure how much that incremental difference would matter, but there's a degree to which I want to get the complete custom-molded experience if I'm going to go down this route. Definitely intriguing and I appreciate the suggestion.

I haven't seen any. Only one diy pair a while ago.

Why not get customs and a Fiio UTWS3 or TRN BT20S Pro?

I didn't know those types of products existed; thank you for the recommendation! I'll have to look into them more. Have you used anything like those or seen any particularly informative reviews? I haven't used any earbuds with over the ear loops like those before so I'm a bit hesitant about that aspect, but it would open up a lot of options in terms of the earbuds themselves.

Jan 2, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #28,082 of 62,402
I didn't know those types of products existed; thank you for the recommendation! I'll have to look into them more. Have you used anything like those or seen any particularly informative reviews? I haven't used any earbuds with over the ear loops like those before so I'm a bit hesitant about that aspect, but it would open up a lot of options in terms of the earbuds themselves.

I've had 4 so far. 2x BT20 and 2x BT20S. Broke 1x pair of BT20, sold the other. Sold 1x BT20S and modded the last.

I still use the modded one. I put a softer ear hook with a straighter MMCX end on it. If it died I'd probably spring for the UTWS3. Only reason I haven't is the lack of QI wireless charging, if it had it, I would already have ordered one to try.

IMG_20200512_114312.jpg

Ii use them with both MMCX earbuds and IEMs.

Jan 2, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #28,083 of 62,402
I've had 4 so far. 2x BT20 and 2x BT20S. Broke 1x pair of BT20, sold the other. Sold 1x BT20S and modded the last.

I still use the modded one. I put a softer ear hook with a straighter MMCX end on it. If it died I'd probably spring for the UTWS3. Only reason I haven't is the lack of QI wireless charging, if it had it, I would already have ordered one to try.

IMG_20200512_114312.jpg

Ii use them with both MMCX earbuds and IEMs.

Wonderful, thank you so much. These really do seem like a great option, and I see that the UTWS3 has built-in microphones to handle phone calls (which was something I wanted as well).

Now I suppose that I just need to figure out what custom molded IEMs I want. Anything with a detachable cable connector should be compatible, right? So that means that my options are essentially limitless if I used these? I saw some discussion about 2-pin version of the UTWS3; is that a potential compatibility issue that I need to figure out (to make sure I match the UTWS3 to whatever IEMs I get)?

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #28,084 of 62,402
Does anyone know if the Melomania touch will be suitable for jogging?

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #28,085 of 62,402
I've looked over the last few pages, but I haven't read all 1,872 pages so apologies in advance if this is covered earlier.

Are there any good custom molded, truly wireless earbuds on the market currently? I've used the Jabra 65T and currently have some Samsung Galaxy Buds+, which have both been fine, but I've wanted a pair of custom molded IEMs for a long time and I'm finally starting to look for them seriously. Now that I have used truly wireless earbuds, I doubt I can go back to using wired earbuds, so I'm trying to find a pair of custom molded, truly wireless earbuds with excellent sound quality and noise isolation. But it seems like everything at the custom molded level is wired. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit more for something that hit all of my desired features (flexible budget, but figure around $1,000), but I can't find anything that's even moderately close. Any suggestions? Or are we not yet at the point where manufacturers are putting out custom molded, truly wireless earbuds?
https://www.adv-sound.com/collections/custom-fit/products/m5-tws-custom

They the only one offer at this moment

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #28,086 of 62,402
Wonderful, thank you so much. These really do seem like a great option, and I see that the UTWS3 has built-in microphones to handle phone calls (which was something I wanted as well).

Now I suppose that I just need to figure out what custom molded IEMs I want. Anything with a detachable cable connector should be compatible, right? So that means that my options are essentially limitless if I used these? I saw some discussion about 2-pin version of the UTWS3; is that a potential compatibility issue that I need to figure out (to make sure I match the UTWS3 to whatever IEMs I get)?

Yep. The 2-pin isn't available yet. But you can always get adapters for MMCX to 2-pin in different styles.

Neat. I had no idea.

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #28,087 of 62,402

Great, those look interesting. Do you happen to have any experience with them? I recall running across some discussion of them earlier where someone said that their sound quality was lacking, but I can't find it now, and most of the reviews I'm seeing are generally positive (although it's hard to get a sense of the baseline they're being compared against).

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #28,089 of 62,402
So none of these new earphones are using APTX HD? Wonder why...

Aptx Adaptive is the latest and many are using it now. It incorporates/is backwards compatible with HD.

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #28,090 of 62,402
Aptx Adaptive is the latest and many are using it now. It incorporates/is backwards compatible with HD.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like many TWS have Aptx adaptive. Just 5 of them - Products | aptX

Of those 5, 3 of them have to be imported from Japan, which means no warranty or support. That leaves Nuarl n6 sports, which I didn't know existed until 5mins ago (I only know of nuarl n6 & nuarl n6 pro). That sports seems to be Japan only on initial google search.

Only one with international warranty is on Soundpeats H1 is on kickstarter & looks promising but I see it has not released yet. Says it releases on January 5th from Hong Kong.. I wouldn't feel comfortable importing from overseas tbh even if they do international shipping. If anything goes wrong, you have to shift back overseas, which would be very costly.

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #28,091 of 62,402
So on the topic of codecs there is a raging debate in the air pods max forum about whether apples implementation of AAC is every bit as good as LDAC/AptxHD etc. I don’t fully understand the science but many are claiming that LDAC offers no advantage over Apples version of AAC (to be distinguished from Androids version of AAC). As best I can tell a very strong argument can be made that AAC on Apple is every bit as good as LDAC despite the lower bitrates. The argument is that since AAC is more stable it’s actually better.

I am currently listening to a Drop Panda on an iPhone and have been using the same Panda regularly with LDAC an a Samsung Fold. On the fold I can definitely tell a difference between AAC and LDAC. Not gonna lie but I’m not sure I can tell a difference between LDAC on the fold and AAC on my iPhone. Anyone have any thoughts on this topic?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #28,092 of 62,402
You make it sound like you can't get it on Amazon till March. :) You can still order them on Amazon and use your gift cards and all that but Cambridge ships it. No real difference since shipping is free with Cambridge. Says refer to the Amazon return and refunds policy as well. Potentially the free shipping might take longer than Prime would but not a factor since Amazon has no stock yet.

So what is the return policy through Amazon? Amazon says that it's up to the seller if a third party sells and ships it. I think Cambridge Audio says you have 60 days to return if you buy directly from them, so do you get 60 days for the Amazon one or Amazon's usual 30? I might just get it directly from Cambridge Audio to prevent confusion.

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #28,093 of 62,402
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like many TWS have Aptx adaptive. Just 5 of them - Products | aptX

Of those 5, 3 of them have to be imported from Japan, which means no warranty or support. That leaves Nuarl n6 sports, which I didn't know existed until 5mins ago (I only know of nuarl n6 & nuarl n6 pro). That sports seems to be Japan only on initial google search.

Only one with international warranty is on Soundpeats H1 is on kickstarter & looks promising but I see it has not released yet. Says it releases on January 5th from Hong Kong.. I wouldn't feel comfortable importing from overseas tbh even if they do international shipping. If anything goes wrong, you have to shift back overseas, which would be very costly.

Don't go by that list. It is far from complete. Soundpeat Sonic has it and is out already and on Amazon for less than $50. Noble Falcon 2 can still be bought AFAIK on the US site. Unless you want the Falcon Pro which is pricey. True most might be from Japan but the big western brands don't want to pay the fees I guess so you won't see BOSE, Jabra, Sony, etc. have it and some like Nuarl come out there first so they are out but won't be here for a while esp. with Covid getting in the way.

Since 5.2 with LC3 + isn't too far off just buy a Sonic and to tide over or some that use internal amp for SQ boost like the Melamania Touch or Hifiman even though they only do up to aptX. Codec isn't the be all end with the current tech. My Victor is pretty stunning even with only aptX since I pair it with the MSEB on my Hidiz and it can go to another level like the Touch promises to do with its performance mode. AptX to HD is only the next step as HD or adaptive are mid-level bit rate not high LDAC or UAT etc. which are around 1000kbps. For me I could have say a Fiio player that does HD or the Hidiz which goes from aptX to UAT but nothing in between but the MSEB would be better than the Fiio with HD.

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #28,094 of 62,402
So what is the return policy through Amazon? Amazon says that it's up to the seller if a third party sells and ships it. I think Cambridge Audio says you have 60 days to return if you buy directly from them, so do you get 60 days for the Amazon one or Amazon's usual 30? I might just get it directly from Cambridge Audio to prevent confusion.
If you buy through Amazon it will be 30 days.

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #28,095 of 62,402

Yes, for returns it is on their site they can't refund for Amazon so you you have to follow Amazon return window. I see they have Amazon pay on the site so you can still use Christmas gift cards or whatever on the Cambridge site. Though that is still confusing :) If they can't refund to Amazon what happens if you buy on the Cambridge US site and use pay with Amazon account and then return?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back