Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 3, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #28,096 of 62,436
Actually, I just got this response from them:

"We sell our Melomania earbuds ourselves on Amazon (Amazon SFP - Seller Fulfilled Prime) and through Amazon FBA (Fulfilled By Amazon). For the latter, Amazon manages the returns process, and this follows their policy. If you purchase from our SFP listing, you will have a 60-day return period in line with purchases from our website."

So the current one available on Amazon also has the 60-day policy. However, it does say on the Cambridge Audio site that the warranty can only be fulfilled if you buy directly from them. I see no advantage personally for buying on Amazon so I'll just do it through the Cambridge site.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #28,097 of 62,436
Actually, I just got this response from them:

"We sell our Melomania earbuds ourselves on Amazon (Amazon SFP - Seller Fulfilled Prime) and through Amazon FBA (Fulfilled By Amazon). For the latter, Amazon manages the returns process, and this follows their policy. If you purchase from our SFP listing, you will have a 60-day return period in line with purchases from our website."

So the current one available on Amazon also has the 60-day policy. However, it does say on the Cambridge Audio site that the warranty can only be fulfilled if you buy directly from them. I see no advantage personally for buying on Amazon so I'll just do it through the Cambridge site.
That’s crazy about the warranty.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #28,098 of 62,436
Well, I think...
1609706781327.png

...you are covered from their Amazon store not just the Cambridge website. So you can buy from either place which really is no different cause it is stocked by them and sold by them.

Jan 3, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #28,099 of 62,436
Don't go by that list. It is far from complete. Soundpeat Sonic has it and is out already and on Amazon for less than $50. Noble Falcon 2 can still be bought AFAIK on the US site. Unless you want the Falcon Pro which is pricey. True most might be from Japan but the big western brands don't want to pay the fees I guess so you won't see BOSE, Jabra, Sony, etc. have it and some like Nuarl come out there first so they are out but won't be here for a while esp. with Covid getting in the way.

Since 5.2 with LC3 + isn't too far off just buy a Sonic and to tide over or some that use internal amp for SQ boost like the Melamania Touch or Hifiman even though they only do up to aptX. Codec isn't the be all end with the current tech. My Victor is pretty stunning even with only aptX since I pair it with the MSEB on my Hidiz and it can go to another level like the Touch promises to do with its performance mode. AptX to HD is only the next step as HD or adaptive are mid-level bit rate not high LDAC or UAT etc. which are around 1000kbps. For me I could have say a Fiio player that does HD or the Hidiz which goes from aptX to UAT but nothing in between but the MSEB would be better than the Fiio with HD.

Noble Falcon 2 has 20% restocking fee on top of return shipping charge. That sucks without reviews to gauge before purchase.
"Here at Noble we believe that everyone should have the opportunity to demo our products in the comfort on their own home using their own equipment. Therefore, we afford users 5 day demo period beginning on the date of delivery. Returned products must be received in like-new condition with all accessories and a 20% restocking fee will be assessed. Customers are also expected to pay for return shipping back to Noble."

I will probably just stick with regular aptx with Touch or wf-1000xm3. Otherwise I would be waiting forever for that next great earbud technology releasing lol. There will always be that great new thing coming out

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #28,100 of 62,436
I wonder if the hinges are anything like the Sennheiser MTW 1? My case broke with delicate care in 2 pieces. I think that's unacceptable for 300 dollar TWs earbuds.
Having both, no. IMO, the Technics case is way better than OG MTW. I personally haven't ever worried about the hinge FWIW. It's something i do try to keep an eye on with every twe i get.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #28,101 of 62,436
The TrueConnect TWS IEMs from RHA aren't all about Resolution & Detail, but if you need something that's fairly well built, with a good comfort, and a thick, warm, dark, lush sound, they may be the TWS for you! I explore how they compare to other TWS IEMs, along with describing what their sound is like in my full in-depth written review!!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...rything-rha-true-connect-tws-iems-review.html

1609750431717.png

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #28,102 of 62,436
Just got the Melomania Touch delivered. Very nice packaging and quality. I prefer the white version over the black but I may come to regret that when the white case gets all covered in dirt lol

Had a very quick listen but earbuds were very low battery level out the box (3%) so have to put them back in case for a charge. Very first initial thoughts, the touch panel on the earbuds are very sensitive and you have to be very conscious when holding them and inserting them in the ear without setting something on or off. I can really appreciate the design on the Sony XM3s here with their circular touch panel where you know it's just that circle that's touch sensitive.

The fit - very nice and comfy and they look great in ear. Kudos with the design and fit Cambridge Audio. Much better than the Sonys here. However, not sure of it's it's to do with the eartips, but I can hear my own movement slightly more than Sonys. I don't see this as one you would enjoy walking around outside. Great for home use where ANC not required.

Initial Pairing - was a little fiddly, it pairs them each individually as oppose to the Sony, where it comes up as one item in bluetooth settings. Here with the Melomania Touch, it's Melomania Touch L and Melomania Touch R. There was an update required straight out of the box which was easy to do, slightly worried that the battery was low but managed to squeeze through the update before they became very low.

Sound - I'm going to have to give them a good longer listen, but on first listen and I'm not sure if it's because they were on very low power and were defaulted to lower sound quality but they didn't come across as good as the Sonys, although the soundstage is pretty decent. Will wait for them to be 100% charged and give them a proper go.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #28,103 of 62,436
Rtings have a review of the JBL CLUB PRO+ TWS True : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/jbl/club-pro-plus-tws-true-wireless
They quite like them and write that they offer good noise isolation although that's not really what their testing and audio sample shows compared to the Echo Buds or even the QC Earbuds.

In other news I spent 2x7+ hours stuck in the tiny seat of a 777 last week and had the Amazon Echo Buds, the 75t and the QC25 headphones for company. Needless to say I had time on my hands to run a lot of A/B/C comparisons. I quickly found that the the 75t didn't provide as much overall isolation as the other two. I played with its "checkerboard" ANC settings which was interesting with that IRL loud cabin noise but couldn't improve on the settings I'd chosen at my desk blasting a YT cabin noise video. I couldn't really tell the Echo Buds apart from the QC25s in spite of their very different form factor, better PNC on the Echo Buds and better (or rather more "noticeable") ANC on the QC25 but PNC+ANC was very very close.I did end up using the QC25 most of the time though as I was able to plug in to the entertainment system and watch silly oldish movies like Horrible Bosses 1&2 again :wink:

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #28,104 of 62,436
Would you say ANC is a deal breaker? Saw in many of the reviews that they mentioned it is not that necessary as they plugs are quite tight. I'm thinking of buying them but of course I need them also for flights, busy streets etc.. Would I need ANC?

In my view, yes. Mainly for flights or train rides or where there’s constant noise.

Passive isolation may do its job but it’s definitely not the same.

I too am looking for “the perfect pair” and was hoping the Melomania Touch would have it but I guess they wanted to keep the price as low as possible maintaining the quality sound they were aiming for.

We’ll see...

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #28,105 of 62,436
In my view, yes. Mainly for flights or train rides or where there’s constant noise.

I too am looking for “the perfect fair” and was hoping the Melomania Touch would have it but I guess they wanted to keep the price as low as possible maintaining the quality sound they were aiming for.

We’ll see...
Could they add it in a future firmware update? Is this likely or very unlikely?

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #28,106 of 62,436

Theoretically speaking it’s possible like Jabra did for the 75t but the jury is still out of it’s as good as the ANC on the 85t but most reviewers say it’s not as good.
In other words I won’t count on it as an added feature down the line.

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #28,107 of 62,436
Theoretically speaking it’s possible like Jabra did for the 75t but the jury is still out of it’s as good as the ANC on the 85t but most reviewers say it’s not as good.
In other words I won’t count on it as an added feature down the line.
It is extremely unlikely as according to the specs they are using the Qualcomm QCC3020 which doesn't natively support ANC. If they had another additional chip to support ANC like the Echo Buds then it may be possible but that is not on the spec sheet so you can assume it won't happen.

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #28,108 of 62,436

I too am looking for “the perfect fair” and was hoping the Melomania Touch would have it but I guess they wanted to keep the price as low as possible maintaining the quality sound they were aiming for.

We’ll see...

Some eartips like xelastec have great isolation so it's worth a shot to try that if you don't have ANC on earbuds.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #28,110 of 62,436

I believe that’s very unlikely. I guess there’s more hardware necessary for this. If it were only a firmware issue I guess they’d do it in th first place. ANC is hard to control to maintain an even frequency response. And if they want to release a pair of buds with good sound at 140€ they can’t put all the features in there. That’s not to say there aren’t others who have it but I believe Cambridge really wanted to concentrate on a better chip and quality amp for sound reproduction, or so I hope.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back