Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 9, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #27,646 of 62,172
Mtw2 is not within my budget and the sony's just looks so popular that it makes me wanna puke. Also, they are pretty old already, when I buy I prefer buying relatively new models.
Back in the day the chinese IEMs gave hell of a fight to the Western ones. Is it similar today? Do we have the Dunu equivalent in TWS?

We have been developing our hybrid TWS model for a while. Most recently, we showed off an engineering unit at an audio show in China a couple of weeks ago to get some private feedback.

The model will mostly be tuned for the Chinese market, though. Currently, although we've joined the Qualcomm and Sony consortia of vendors, we aren't certified by regulatory bodies in the EU, US, and various other countries for Bluetooth wireless transmission/reception. That'll be the major hurdle getting this product out globally.

Sales of a good number of TWS models from China are not exactly 'by the book', but we want to be above board for stuff like this, so we're considering doing a crowdfunding campaign to secure the funds and means to have wireless certifications in most of the major markets.

TWS_WechatIMG6860.jpeg

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Dec 9, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #27,647 of 62,172
I finally received my 1More ANC which was on sale for Cyber Monday. Nice to finally have an AptX TWS that didn't end up as a dud with channel imbalance.

It says it was made in April 2020 but has the THX firmware. Supposedly June 2020 is the start of QuietMax/THX support but 1More has been telling users on Amazon that some of the older models sold there can still be updated. Some are still wary of this because they find the ANC underwhelming.

First impressions
- Switched to the medium-small red eartips as the default eartips weren't fitting evenly into my ears
- Deep bass while retaining some great treble detail. Reminds me of the 1More Triple Driver IEM with its tall, metallic/brassy treble texture and detail retrieval. With the volume too high, however, the treble becomes too airy and borderline sibilant. It also seems unforgiving of tracks with intentional crackling
- Not much tuning difference between ANC on/off. I think this is what is meant by the THX update.
- Ambient hearthrough is usable but underwhelming - there is also some crackling on the left bud.
- Maybe due to the BA drivers, they also don't respond well to EQ. Would be nice to have a Wavelet setting as it clips with the other 1More settings...
- Noise cancelling is good but doesn't do much for high frequencies

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #27,648 of 62,172
Man so I've been looking everywhere for the N10P's and I just found a site selling them for $334. That's kind of crazy... I'm not too price sensitive but that's a jump up even from the Bose.

Anyone see them any cheaper? If not, are they worth it? https://www.earspan.com/product/nuarl-n10-pro/
They are Australian Dollars so about $250 US. Earspan is a well recognised company. However, the N10 pros aren't available on Amazon.jp and haven't been for a while... which is strange and may indicate a revision going on.

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #27,649 of 62,172
We have been developing our hybrid TWS model for a while. Most recently, we showed off an engineering unit at an audio show in China a couple of weeks ago to get some private feedback.

The model will mostly be tuned for the Chinese market, though. Currently, although we've joined the Qualcomm and Sony consortia of vendors, we aren't certified by regulatory bodies in the EU, US, and various other countries for Bluetooth wireless transmission/reception. That'll be the major hurdle getting this product out globally.

Sales of a good number of TWS models from China are not exactly 'by the book', but we want to be above board for stuff like this, so we're considering doing a crowdfunding campaign to secure the funds and means to have wireless certifications in most of the major markets.

TWS_WechatIMG6860.jpeg

I still love my old pair of Tridents. A TWS version would be wonderful.

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #27,650 of 62,172
I still love my old pair of Tridents. A TWS version would be wonderful.

We've come a long, long way from the Trident! Glad to hear it's still holding up! Will definitely let everyone know how we plan on proceeding with our wireless plans.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Dec 9, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #27,652 of 62,172
Can someone confirm that their 1More ANC doesn't remember the ANC setting from the last usage? Seems rather counterintuitive...

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #27,653 of 62,172
If it helps, I’ve tried a few pairs over the past month - not deliberately, just trying to find a decent set for the price.

Anker Soundcore P2 - decent enough, lacking bass and passive isolation but a volume issue and returned for: £35

Tozo NC9 - worse than above sound wise considering specifications and functions. Better fit and passive isolation but ANC/Ambient not worth the purchase price and review hype so returned for:

Tronsmart Apollo Bold

- Better than the Tozo for features and quality of features etc but still I found the overall sound quality pretty poor due to the badly bloated bass emphasised sound which couldn’t be tamed or improved via eq or the tronsmart app. £80

Now out of those three I would have the Anker and use foam tips because they were the best for price point and price paid. The other two just simply aren’t worth the money in all comparisons.

I tried the Soundpeats true air2 as a cheap option but couldn’t get on with that style of earphone due to external noise.

i had given up looking as I reviewed and researched both the Tozo and Apollo through the thread and external reviewers and was disappointed.

However, within Amazon the Panasonic RZ500 was reduced from £149.99 down to £99.99 and then another further coupon for £15.99 for the Black took it down to £84.

Received them today, sound/features/isolation etc all different class to the ones above and well
Worth it.

*Update

These were great for sound in the house.

However, intermittent connection loss while walking in the city and also poor call quality for the receiver means they have to go back - static and screeching during call on her end.

Undecided to if going to swap like for like yet

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #27,654 of 62,172
Man so I've been looking everywhere for the N10P's and I just found a site selling them for $334. That's kind of crazy... I'm not too price sensitive but that's a jump up even from the Bose.

Anyone see them any cheaper? If not, are they worth it? https://www.earspan.com/product/nuarl-n10-pro/

That's the site i purchased my N10P from on release date. they are fantastic with their shipping speed and support. Even sent me those memory foam eartips for free also updated me regarding upcoming firmware updates etc... They are based in Australia and only ship to Australia and Newzealand. Their price is in AUD and when i made the purchase the conversion rate isn't that much expensive then Nuarl Japanese release price of 25,000YEN. i bought my Bose QC for $399AUD so $330AUD is much cheaper than the Bose QC and definitely worth it for me as i don't use ANC that much those days.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #27,655 of 62,172
Klipsch T5 II are 50% off for Black Friday right now on Amazon. Love mine! Klipsch T5 II True Wireless Gunmetal

No, we are NOT THERE YET, nor will we ever be, with current technology.

I bought into this on Black Friday weekend, having used Klipsch IEMs for many years. They may be the best available for wireless, but that still sucks - big time. My lowly original WIRED Klipsch S4 with comply tips beats the T5 II to hell and back, with a couple of trips around the sun, to boot.

It's not even remotely close. I think the cheapest $2 WIRED earbuds in existence sound better than the T5 II wireless, not to mention my Klipsch S4, Sony MDR-E747, or even my Koss KSC-75. They're god-awful. Yeah, it's a neat product with great packaging, the Zippo container/charger, lots of features and adjustments, etc. They have a pleasant bass foundation with enough emphasis on clicks and taps to make you think it's detailed, but it's all fake, not a real representation of the music. And it falls apart fast on complicated music. Wireless with reasonable sound quality? NO, NO, NO.

I've returned them to Amazon.

P.S. For any of you runners out there - they also felt like my ears were being boxed (slapped) with every stride. I'm used to cable microphonics every time I run, but this is much, much worse on the ears. Yeah, I tried numerous tips, but that's another complaint - the designed connection for the tips sucks, big time. Good luck getting replacements/upgrades on tips.

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #27,657 of 62,172
@dweaver I updated the AZ70 firmware last night. I will be honest that I don't really perceive any notable difference in tuning. When I turned the eq off I thought the upper mids were still a little bit too forward.

Still really enjoying them on the whole though.

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #27,658 of 62,172
@dweaver I updated the AZ70 firmware last night. I will be honest that I don't really perceive any notable difference in tuning. When I turned the eq off I thought the upper mids were still a little bit too forward.

Still really enjoying them on the whole though.

OK your the 2nd person to say the update did not affect the sound. It must be a mental thing for me. I will likely rewrite my review then as I appear to be having memory bias on what I am hearing and have no way to AB this to confirm it.

Thanks for letting me know.

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #27,659 of 62,172
Now that folks are beginning to receive their Devialet Geminis - what are your thoughts?

I'll say mine have GREAT sound, but the Bluetooth pairing / switching between devices, etc., is ... not what I expected after using Apple AirPod Pros for the past few months. The Apples are pretty much unshakeable and very easy to switch between devices, while the Devialets are a good example of what I've come to expect from a lesser Bluetooth implementation.

I'll probably keep them, because the sound is great and hoping future firmware updates may improve Bluetooth, but would like to hear about others' experiences.

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #27,660 of 62,172
Now that folks are beginning to receive their Devialet Geminis - what are your thoughts?

I'll say mine have GREAT sound, but the Bluetooth pairing / switching between devices, etc., is ... not what I expected after using Apple AirPod Pros for the past few months. The Apples are pretty much unshakeable and very easy to switch between devices, while the Devialets are a good example of what I've come to expect from a lesser Bluetooth implementation.

I'll probably keep them, because the sound is great and hoping future firmware updates may improve Bluetooth, but would like to hear about others' experiences.

I was looking forward to getting the Gemini but they are over my financial capacity atm due to some major health issue at home.

Still, I'd be very curious to hear more of ypur thoughts about it, it's SQ, ANC and ambient mode if you ever feel like it. With some luck, I will be able to order one pair this year. Meanwhile, I'll salivate when reading about it 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back