Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 1, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #27,046 of 62,385
Very interesting day today testing out microphone quality in extreme weather conditions here in the UK.

Let's start with the model I lauded the most during the Summer

Edifier TWS NB2:

Wow. I really did get these wrong. Listening back to the summer recordings they sounded really good, by comparison the winter recording is atrocious.

Firstly, they are far better with ANC on. Noise suppression when not much is going on is good, sounds quite natural. As soon as the wind and traffic kick in your voice starts to sound a bit more muffled, not quite as bad as @Laethageal 's recording but I can see why his sounded the way it did - my call recording sounded much more like his than my summer call.

With ANC off - wow. They were absolutely awful. Worse than any of my budget sets and exactly like @Laethageal 's recording. Any ambient noise completely kills your voice. You don't get the loud woosh you get with some buds but it just kills everything to a muffled, muted noise. Not good.

ANC ON:

Clarity - 6/10
Affected by the environment - 6/10
Suppression - 6/10
Naturalness - 6/10

ANC OFF:

Clarity - 4/10
Affected by the environment - 3/10
Suppression - 4/10
Naturalness - 5/10

Omthing Air Free:

So I'm still in the process of reviewing these, the mic indoors is fantastic but outdoors it has virtually no suppression. Traffic completely overpowers your voice, wind fares slightly better. When there's no ambient sound your voice is extremely natural and clear. Overall pretty impressed

Clarity - 8/10
Suppression - 3/10
Naturalness - 8/10

Alien Secret QCC010:

Great budget buds, not renowned for their microphone quality. No major surprises here, while your voice sounds clear at times it's quite robotic. Wind and traffic not only overpowers it, but the suppression has a similar affect to the Edifier with ANC off, it suppresses your voice and not much else. Still, I didn't buy them for the mic!

Clarity - 5.5/10
Suppression - 3/10
Naturalness - 5/10

1More Colorbuds:

Still reviewing these too. Sound quality on these is really nice and refined but they don't fit my ears well. Clarity is surprisingly good for in ears, and even with traffic you could still hear my voice very clearly and very loud too, peaking at times. The sound is a touch robotic compared to the omthing, but better than most.

Clarity - 7/10
Suppression - 6.5/10
Naturalness - 6.5/10

Boltune BT-BH024:

Never cease to amaze me. For £21 or whatever they were, the mic is surprisingly very good. Clarity is decent but a little inconsistent - moving them around changed the dynamics, there is virtually no high end suppression despite claiming CVC8.0 so rather than traffic flying past instead you hear the puddles splashing where the traffic flew past. These were tested on a main open road with probably the worst conditions and yet they performed better than some of the more expensive buds. Voice sounded much more natural than some of the others.

Clarity - 8/10
Suppression - 6/10
Naturalness - 7/10

FIIL T1 Pro:

Love these earbuds and their microphone actually performs better outdoors than I expected. MAF GUAM or whatever it is sounded very clear, a little robotic but your voice separates from the wind and traffic well. Without MAF guam your voice sounds natural but the traffic is very compressed and sounds robotic. Your voice still overcomes the conditions. With ANC on it sounds a little more robotic, still fairly natural. A skoda flew past me at around 40mph and you can't hear it. It suppresses worse than with MAF selected.

Clarity - 7/10
Affected by the environment - 7/10
Suppression - 8/10
Naturalness - 6/10

Tronsmart Apollo Bold:

I wasn't that impressed during the summer. At the park they over suppressed kids playing and other high frequencies and made me sound like I was talking through a sponge. Different story today - clarity and naturalness are pretty good, I was at a train station when I tested them and you couldn't really hear the train or cars going past to it did a great job suppressing, but at times you couldn't hear me through the suppression, which I expected. They performed better with ANC on, contrary to my first test during the summer.

ANC ON:

Clarity - 7/10
Affected by the environment - 8/10
Suppression - 8/10
Naturalness - 6/10

ANC OFF:

Clarity - 7/10
Affected by the environment - 7/10
Suppression - 7/10
Naturalness - 6/10

Whizzer E3:

Haha. I love these earbuds but my god the mic is bad. Even without any background noise I sounded a long way from the mic and very robotic. I was undercover at this point and just sounded really over suppressed and not natural. Wind and other conditions weren't obvious but still, definitely not an option for the daily commute.

Clarity - 4/10
Suppression - 6/10
Naturalness - 4/10

Summary

Well, it surprised me. The FIIL T1 Pro and Tronsmart Apollo Bold showed their premium quality by outperforming the rest. Just behind them, the Boltune BT-BH024 never cease to amaze me. Such a bargain! The Omthing also surprised me, they aren't for those who live in rainy countries but without too much ambient noise they are natural sounding and clear. Next, the 1More Colorbuds and Edifier TWS NB2, the latter being the best I tested during the summer, struggle with the conditions a little. The former just amplifies your voice 'in the red', which is acceptable given the high quality audio. The Edifier on the other hand just over compresses everything as soon as the scene gets complex. I noticed as soon as I got to the post office to change phones, the Edifiers performed really well. This suggests overcompression.

The Alien Secret and Whizzer E3 should not be considered for commuters.

League Table from todays test:

Joint 1st - FIIL T1 Pro and Tronsmart Apollo Bold - both decent performers regardless of weather conditions
2nd - Boltune BT-BH024. Surprisingly great performers at a budget price.
3rd - 1More Omthing Airfree - Clear and natural, but fair weather performers
4th - Edifier TWS NB2 - Fair weather performers that over-suppress in complex scenes
5th - 1More Colorbuds - Overall pretty decent all-rounders but peaking your voice so it's louder than the other loud stuff is not really going to do your hearing much good

Now, bear in mind I've tried the Airpods Pro and Galaxy Buds Plus, none of them compete with either model. They are way short in fact. But they are also a fraction of the price.
Interesting. Didn't think about testing the NB2 with ANC on. I might try and see how they fare if I find a few minutes, but life is pretty overwhelming atm when trying to find a new home in this crazy Covid market on top of the usual wife/kids/work/fall season maintenance of home/etc... 😉

Meanwhile, I got a message from Tranya to test the T10 and maybe also the M10 so I'll come back with a review once I get the bud.

I had also sent back my L2P to Soundcore for investigation due to some hiss/buzz issues with high pitched female vocals almost 2 weeks ago. Could not wait to get some back and they were supposed to take a while to get here(over 2 more weeks from what support told me) so I decided to purchase another pair I had planned to give to my boy (who simply loves) them as soon as the replacement came in. He worked very hard not to fall behind his class with 3 weeks of isolation and basically no support from his school and deserved the treat.

Funnily, I received both the new purchase and the replacement last Wednesday. Both are the latest version and both exhibits the same buzz with some vocals I had seen in my previous pair. Thus saddens me as I honestly hoped it would be a 1 time issue since I pretty much loved their SQ and profile but I am now thorn about what to do.

On top of this, both pair have an issue with the HearID from Soundcore software that I didn't have with my first pair. Whatever I do in the test, even if I don't hold the button for the 6.4khz range when testing the right bud, it gives me a weird custom graph that do not work going 6.4khz on right bud at the complete bottom of equalizer.

I tested both pair 3 time, then wiped the local data on my phone, tested again, tried to test and force the result of right bud, uninstalled, retested, tried forcing again to no avail. Anyone ever had such an issue with HearId?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201030-193407.png
    Screenshot_20201030-193407.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 1, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #27,047 of 62,385
Interesting. Didn't think about testing the NB2 with ANC on. I might try and see how they fare if I find a few minutes, but life is pretty overwhelming atm when trying to find a new home in this crazy Covid market on top of the usual wife/kids/work/fall season maintenance of home/etc... 😉

Meanwhile, I got a message from Tranya to test the T10 and maybe also the M10 so I'll come back with a review once I get the bud.

I had also sent back my L2P to Soundcore for investigation due to some hiss/buzz issues with high pitched female vocals almost 2 weeks ago. Could not wait to get some back and they were supposed to take a while to get here(over 2 more weeks from what support told me) so I decided to purchase another pair I had planned to give to my boy (who simply loves) them as soon as the replacement came in. He worked very hard not to fall behind his class with 3 weeks of isolation and basically no support from his school and deserved the treat.

Funnily, I received both the new purchase and the replacement last Wednesday. Both are the latest version and both exhibits the same buzz with some vocals I had seen in my previous pair. Thus saddens me as I honestly hoped it would be a 1 time issue since I pretty much loved their SQ and profile but I am now thorn about what to do.

On top of this, both pair have an issue with the HearID from Soundcore software that I didn't have with my first pair. Whatever I do in the test, even if I don't hold the button for the 6.4khz range when testing the right bud, it gives me a weird custom graph that do not work going 6.4khz on right bud at the complete bottom of equalizer.

I tested both pair 3 time, then wiped the local data on my phone, tested again, tried to test and force the result of right bud, uninstalled, retested, tried forcing again to no avail. Anyone ever had such an issue with HearId?

Nope.

I no longer have them but I had even left & right on the HearID test.

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #27,049 of 62,385
Any chance you can check out the call quality and see how well they can handle work/ zoom calls?
Unfortunately, in both zoom and regular calls, even near my phone; they are pretty muffled sounding. And 20 feet or so away from phone the words i was saying were basicly inaudible. I could still hear the person on the other end of each call however, so for meetings where you might have to be present but would call in and mute yourself while you ate lunch etc, these would probably work just fine for that. but yeah 1 star on outgoing call quality of any kind. That's the only thing bad i have to say about these though. Played with the eq in the app and man these things really open up. Great for $50-$100. The playStore app was rated pretty poorly, 2.3 stars. i had an experience with it that demonstrated why that rating might be justified. when i powered them up, they both said battery full, and showed battery full in my status bar. The app went back and forth. First saying the left was at 95% and right 35%, So wouldn't do update. Then charged them for a bit, reconnected, and both showed at 100%. Then it kept giving all kinds of readings for each iem, anywhere from 50-100%. but i managed to get the update completed in about 5-7 mins, made a couple eq profiles and setled on one i really like so far.
That was one of my sets in my backpack that was stolen. :frowning2: really comfortable, great sound, just a fantastic tws for the price"
That really sucks man. my V-Moda Forza Metalo Wireless were stolen last year at my desk.Really miss those. The Anbes 359 while an otherwise generic TWE, will always be one of those unforgettable products for me. still one of the most unique combinations for price, sq form factor etc.

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #27,050 of 62,385
The MTW2 are $249 now, which is only $20 more than the 85t, so I'm seriously thinking of going in that direction instead.

The new JLab ANC earbuds are also on sale for $49. I actually enjoyed their non-ANC version, which was fun sounding and seemed to "just work". Aside from ANC, the new model has wireless charging.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jlab-a...ireless-earbuds-black/6426503.p?skuId=6426503
Thanks for the link. Picked up the JLab(like I needed them....). Not bad for $49.

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #27,051 of 62,385
Also, to anyone with the Tevis, has anyone got there new app to work on Android? It just crashes right away when I try and open it.

The app only works after upgrading the firmware of Tevis - newer Tevis were already shipped with new firmware.
See instruction: https://www.lypertek.com/app-beta
[/QUOTE]
I bought mine in April from Lypertek directly and they where considered the newer one but I'll try and update to see if that works. Thanks!

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #27,052 of 62,385
I made a post earlier in thread about the new SoundPeats H1, I like other thought 6 hours battery was poor etc etc.

They originally were AFAIR no waterproofing, 6 hour battery per charge, 35 hours with case, BT 5.0 with aptX.

Now they have been upgraded to IPX5, 10 hours battery per charge, 40 hours with case, BT 5.2 and aptX-Adaptive.

The slightly more expensive H1 Premium model has an SoundPeats made AI Voice assistant to work with phones built in voice assistant without the need to press any buttons.

I have pledged on their KickStarter page for the H1 Premiums and added an extra $1 for a hardcase.

85d74c3c589098d0eb35b9aa98610f30-original.jpg

SOUNDPEATS H1 | HOME (soundpeatsaudio.com)

SOUNDPEATS H1: Best Sounding Hybrid Dual-Driver TWS Earbuds by SOUNDPEATS Audio — Kickstarter

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #27,053 of 62,385
I made a post earlier in thread about the new SoundPeats H1, I like other thought 6 hours battery was poor etc etc.

They originally were AFAIR no waterproofing 6 hour battery per charge, 35 hours with case, BT 5.0 with aptX.

Now they have been upgraded to IPX5, 10 hours battery per charge, 40 hours with case, BT 5.2 and aptX-Adaptive.

The slightly more expensive H1 Premium model has an SoundPeats made AI Voice assistant to work with phones built in voice assistant without the need to press any buttons.

I have pledged on their KickStarter page for the H1 Premiums and added an extra $1 for a hardcase.

85d74c3c589098d0eb35b9aa98610f30-original.jpg

SOUNDPEATS H1 | HOME (soundpeatsaudio.com)

SOUNDPEATS H1: Best Sounding Hybrid Dual-Driver TWS Earbuds by SOUNDPEATS Audio — Kickstarter

That is it for the premium? $10 gets you wake up by voice instead of touch and no other difference at all? One little feature but not sure that makes it Premium.:) Not worth the $10 to me unless there was more improvement. Nice to see they upped the specs on it. They should have since they got way more than enough. 10X the $12,000+ they wanted so they should offer some improvements. That is the only good thing about Kickstarter...if they way overshoot what they budgeted for they can then choose to upgrade the product since they know that more $$$ will be there for it. Still be nice if the premium had a cool color scheme or something else extra.

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #27,055 of 62,385
i know that some day, eventually, i will get those ... just because i am a Bose / ANC fan and even though in know they would be unusable for work out ... but i am also starting to salivate over the 85Ts 's multipoint, that sounds something Bose should have implemented ...
Alas, I have not had a chance to get ANYTHING new in 2 months! Even Aliexpress has become utterly useless, only offering super secure (and expensive) shipping options to my location now ... so, I have to wait until I get off this island again and who knows when that will be ... xmas trip is NOT happening ... maaaayyyyybe by spring break we can travel again? Who knows ...
You're not missing much. Seemingly nothing new around, been looking for something small and well fitting but other than the mifo o9, which is basically the o4 in a different colour, and the kz sa08, which I bought about a month ago and the tracking doesn't even work, not seen anything look remotely interesting. Omthing Airfree were pretty good but battery life sucks :frowning2:

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #27,057 of 62,385
Itching for one more, MTW2 or Bose Qc. I have MTW1 and if the Sq is not to much different than it's Bose. Don't care really about the ANC on either just sq.
If I had not bought 4 TWS worth in the past month for about 400$usd all inc. (damn it's getting addictive quickly) I would try myself with either the new Devialet or the UE FITS.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #27,058 of 62,385
If I had not bought 4 TWS worth in the past month for about 400$usd all inc. (damn it's getting addictive quickly) I would try myself with either the new Devialet or the UE FITS.
I know what you mean I just bought the Jabra 75 and 85 recently. The UE look interesting but I really like what I've seen/read about the Bose and MTW2. I still really love the sound of the MTW1 and they are super comfortable.

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #27,059 of 62,385
TWS and VOIP Calls

I have a question for anyone that spends a lengthy period of time on VOIP (zoom, jabber etc) calls. Do people always complain of poor sound quality from your end? More importantly, do you lose connection and have your calls drop randomly for no reason? I have this issue constantly and have tried various TWS all to no avail. I'm wondering if my Windows 10 Realtek 4.2 adapter is somehow the culprit although I don't understand since I'm not walking away and sitting and working on the computer right there. What confuses me even more and why I don't think bluetooth is the issue is the fact that the connection is rock solid and never drops once with the same TWS sets sounding sublime when I'm listening to youtube or spotify for hours on the same computer.

I'll have to take the time and dig into this more. Although I work at home in a completely dead quite room with no distractions, along with the constant drop outs and disconnections, clients also complain that they can't hear me well and that I always sound muffled on my cisco jabber calls when I'm on TWS. Family zoom meetings on the same computer have the same issues as well. Switching to regular non VOIP calls on my phone with the same TWS sets is just fine both ends with no complaints. I unfortunately can't test my jabber work calls on my smartphone even as a process of elimination as my company for security reasons doesn't allow that. Zoom calls when testing though work great on my phone with absolutely no issues on all my TWS sets.

For now I'm tethered to my laptop with a cheap wired earbud with a mic and have no call drops or disconnections sounding great both ways. I work on jabber 8-10 hours a day which makes my wired connection a bit hard as I take constant calls with few breaks all the time (Iam an Interpreter) while my nice TWS sets sit there just looking pretty. My dream of enjoying working from home being mobile and untethered due to COVID hasn't worked out so well so far.

I'm starting to wonder if TWS companies don't want us utilizing their products for VOIP calls as a way to make sure we don't take take business away from their ridiculously overpriced VOIP headset market share..

Anyways my apologies for hijacking the thread. I'm peeved enough that I'll start researching and looking into this moving forward and will share my findings. In the mean time, if anyone has faced a similar experience working from home and found a workaround please don't be shy and let us know :)

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #27,060 of 62,385
Can I ask those of you owning the Soundcore L2P some help to check something?

I received my L2P 3 days ago and after testing, figured they where too bass heavy (which was fixed with some tuning) and also had some sort of buzzing on some particular female voice as if the tweeter was faulty. I contacted Soundcore who asked me to detail the issue in detail, which I did. They came back to me saying that I had the latest version of the product and that the issue (after having their Quality engineer check my particular issue) is some vibrato and is considered normal with all their L2P, therefor not a defect.

Yet, the few replies I had here about my issue were negative, as in no one experienced hiss/buzz in their L2P.
Since they say everyone must have it, would a few of you please go a quick check on Spotify and tell me if they hear a slight buzz covering part of the female vocal? I experience it every time on the song Mad from Ayelle on Spotify, with the most obvious high pitched buzz going on between 30 to 45 seconds of the song. This is the one song they are supposed to have tested and have found some "normal" vibrato, yet I highly doubt none of you would have spotted this issue if it was really there on all their L2P.

Screenshot_20201008-105218.png

Appart from this buzzing issue, the 20ish hours of burn in and EQ'ing with Wavelet really helped the L2P and they now shine to a point I think they outclass the best headphones I had (B&W P7). If the vibrato is common really to all L2P, I'll give up on it and return it, but if it is only my unit doing it as I suspect it, I'll ask for them to exchange it.

1602271946011.png

No buzz. Sounds clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back