Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 1, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #27,061 of 62,387
Itching for one more, MTW2 or Bose Qc. I have MTW1 and if the Sq is not to much different than it's Bose. Don't care really about the ANC on either just sq.
I like the MTW2 a lot. but honestly, even with the high end sound tuning, i still prefer my MTW1. Better highs and mids. The firmware update a while back made the ANC a lot better, but honestly if i could go back, i would have just worn out my mtw1 completely. I mean, if you have the money, and you clearly have the sickness like many of us, then by all means get it. but owning both i just wanted to share my thoughts.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #27,062 of 62,387
TWS and VOIP Calls

I have a question for anyone that spends a lengthy period of time on VOIP (zoom, jabber etc) calls. Do people always complain of poor sound quality from your end? More importantly, do you lose connection and have your calls drop randomly for no reason? I have this issue constantly and have tried various TWS all to no avail. I'm wondering if my Windows 10 Realtek 4.2 adapter is somehow the culprit although I don't understand since I'm not walking away and sitting and working on the computer right there. What confuses me even more and why I don't think bluetooth is the issue is the fact that the connection is rock solid and never drops once with the same TWS sets sounding sublime when I'm listening to youtube or spotify for hours on the same computer.

I'll have to take the time and dig into this more. Although I work at home in a completely dead quite room with no distractions, along with the constant drop outs and disconnections, clients also complain that they can't hear me well and that I always sound muffled on my cisco jabber calls when I'm on TWS. Family zoom meetings on the same computer have the same issues as well. Switching to regular non VOIP calls on my phone with the same TWS sets is just fine both ends with no complaints. I unfortunately can't test my jabber work calls on my smartphone even as a process of elimination as my company for security reasons doesn't allow that. Zoom calls when testing though work great on my phone with absolutely no issues on all my TWS sets.

For now I'm tethered to my laptop with a cheap wired earbud with a mic and have no call drops or disconnections sounding great both ways. I work on jabber 8-10 hours a day which makes my wired connection a bit hard as I take constant calls with few breaks all the time (Iam an Interpreter) while my nice TWS sets sit there just looking pretty. My dream of enjoying working from home being mobile and untethered due to COVID hasn't worked out so well so far.

I'm starting to wonder if TWS companies don't want us utilizing their products for VOIP calls as a way to make sure we don't take take business away from their ridiculously overpriced VOIP headset market share..

Anyways my apologies for hijacking the thread. I'm peeved enough that I'll start researching and looking into this moving forward and will share my findings. In the mean time, if anyone has faced a similar experience working from home and found a workaround please don't be shy and let us know :)
Whilst YouTube, VoIP and Phone calls use different Bluetooth profiles, this seems more likely to be a wifi/bluetooth/usb interference problem from the PC since connections dropping when close by the transmitter indicates a radio problem. Do you have something connected via USB to the computer, particularly USB-C? Do you have a cordless (US) phone nearby? Is WiFi internal or on some sort of card?

These PC problems are really hard to debug and often not easily fixable which is why quite a few vendors of Bluetooth headphones/TWS e.g Jabra with the Elites don't say they work with PCs though they often do, or provide their own Bluetooth transmitters (Jabra, Bose etc). Windows also sometimes doesn't select the right profile or their's some driver issue, which is often indicated by the transmitted sound being muffled, however, that wouldn't cause a connection drop.

Also these issues are not confined to TWS. I had an expensive, well-known, Bluetooth headphone that every 15-20 minutes would lose synchronisation/connection when on a VoIP call too.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #27,067 of 62,387
Whilst YouTube, VoIP and Phone calls use different Bluetooth profiles, this seems more likely to be a wifi/bluetooth/usb interference problem from the PC since connections dropping when close by the transmitter indicates a radio problem. Do you have something connected via USB to the computer, particularly USB-C? Do you have a cordless (US) phone nearby? Is WiFi internal or on some sort of card?

These PC problems are really hard to debug and often not easily fixable which is why quite a few vendors of Bluetooth headphones/TWS e.g Jabra with the Elites don't say they work with PCs though they often do, or provide their own Bluetooth transmitters (Jabra, Bose etc). Windows also sometimes doesn't select the right profile or their's some driver issue, which is often indicated by the transmitted sound being muffled, however, that wouldn't cause a connection drop.

Also these issues are not confined to TWS. I had an expensive, well-known, Bluetooth headphone that every 15-20 minutes would lose synchronisation/connection when on a VoIP call too.
You may want to try turning power management in Windows 10 off for the Bluetooth adapter:

1. Go into "Device Manager" and select "Bluetooth."

2. Select "Properties" for the bluetooth module. This is often but not always the first one listed.

3. In "Properties" select the "Power Management" tab and then uncheck the box next to "Turn off device to save power."

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #27,068 of 62,387
TWS and VOIP Calls

I have a question for anyone that spends a lengthy period of time on VOIP (zoom, jabber etc) calls. Do people always complain of poor sound quality from your end? More importantly, do you lose connection and have your calls drop randomly for no reason? I have this issue constantly and have tried various TWS all to no avail. I'm wondering if my Windows 10 Realtek 4.2 adapter is somehow the culprit although I don't understand since I'm not walking away and sitting and working on the computer right there. What confuses me even more and why I don't think bluetooth is the issue is the fact that the connection is rock solid and never drops once with the same TWS sets sounding sublime when I'm listening to youtube or spotify for hours on the same computer.

I'll have to take the time and dig into this more. Although I work at home in a completely dead quite room with no distractions, along with the constant drop outs and disconnections, clients also complain that they can't hear me well and that I always sound muffled on my cisco jabber calls when I'm on TWS. Family zoom meetings on the same computer have the same issues as well. Switching to regular non VOIP calls on my phone with the same TWS sets is just fine both ends with no complaints. I unfortunately can't test my jabber work calls on my smartphone even as a process of elimination as my company for security reasons doesn't allow that. Zoom calls when testing though work great on my phone with absolutely no issues on all my TWS sets.

For now I'm tethered to my laptop with a cheap wired earbud with a mic and have no call drops or disconnections sounding great both ways. I work on jabber 8-10 hours a day which makes my wired connection a bit hard as I take constant calls with few breaks all the time (Iam an Interpreter) while my nice TWS sets sit there just looking pretty. My dream of enjoying working from home being mobile and untethered due to COVID hasn't worked out so well so far.

I'm starting to wonder if TWS companies don't want us utilizing their products for VOIP calls as a way to make sure we don't take take business away from their ridiculously overpriced VOIP headset market share..

Anyways my apologies for hijacking the thread. I'm peeved enough that I'll start researching and looking into this moving forward and will share my findings. In the mean time, if anyone has faced a similar experience working from home and found a workaround please don't be shy and let us know :)

I have several posts about this. TWS is pretty much unusable for WfH; a cheap wired earbud is far better. I've tried almost everything (different dongles including the jabra one). I decided to use dongle mics (Jaybird X4 and my ES100+IEM) for work since I need to be heard clearly.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #27,070 of 62,387
TWS and VOIP Calls

For Zoom calls; I use the phone audio option and dial in using my phone and Galaxy Buds Live. If you enter your participant ID when you dial in by phone, Zoom will link up your computer video and phone audio so it is synchronized and shows up as one person. I just got off a 90 min call and it worked great (no complaints at least).

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #27,071 of 62,387
FiiO UTSW3

de5tin8wnuw51.jpg

FiiO_UTWS3_01.jpg

With the new FiiO Control APP update they revealed the FiiO UTSW3 do any of you have more information about them? It seems they are a higher end version of the FiiO UTSW1 I assume they have a true DAC Chip each. : FiiO (reddit.com)

Web Translator (translatetheweb.com)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #27,072 of 62,387
Anyone have information about the potentially income Galaxy "Buds beyond"?

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #27,073 of 62,387
You're not missing much. Seemingly nothing new around, been looking for something small and well fitting but other than the mifo o9, which is basically the o4 in a different colour, and the kz sa08, which I bought about a month ago and the tracking doesn't even work, not seen anything look remotely interesting. Omthing Airfree were pretty good but battery life sucks :frowning2:
Kinda funny ... somehow a bit turned off by TWS these days (maybe also because I can't get anything new and I feel my in-ear skin is getting dry and itchy :) ) so, I am rediscovering my wonderful over ears ... rocking the Hifiman HE400 now with balanced cable into the Earstudios 100 :D

But I am still missing my GBeans ... they drowned in my sweat (well, the right bud)

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #27,075 of 62,387

Users who are viewing this thread

Back