Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 29, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #26,986 of 63,208
Has everyone in here sold their MTW2s?
It's strange that so few are talking about the new app setting; "High-End Sound Tuning".
I am in awe! With a couple of extra db's in the mids/high with the EQ, they are sensational by my taste.
Agreed! I’d sold my original MTW2s some time ago, but after seeing the Anniversary Edition released and mention of this high-end tuning, I decided to repurchase. So glad I did, the new tuning is fantastic - they sound spectacular.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #26,987 of 63,208
I just picked the 85T up today. They actually fit me better than the 75T and I do prefer the new tips. Bass is not as pronounced as they are on the 75T which I very much prefer. ANC is about on par with my MTW2 at my house.

Here are a few pics alongside my APP with a Nomad case.
Nice to hear, they fit you better.
Any chance you can do a fit and sound comparison on the MTW2 vs the Jabras?

Agreed! I’d sold my original MTW2s some time ago, but after seeing the Anniversary Edition released and mention of this high-end tuning, I decided to repurchase. So glad I did, the new tuning is fantastic - they sound spectacular.
Also ordered the MTW2. Do you have any experience with the M&D MW07 Plus and/or the B&O Beoplay E8 3.0? Mainly about fit and sound.

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #26,989 of 63,208
Earfun Air Pros have a surprisingly large soundstage when used with third party tips that seal well (Sedna Earfit Lites currently).
Do you use the short version (blue core) or the normal one? Do they fit in the case with third party tips and charge well?
With the Earfun Air (without the Pro) I had the problem that the fit in the ear wasn't that good and all the other tips I've tried don't fit the charging case.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #26,990 of 63,208
I'm having a good experience with the 85ts, but they aren't winning over my N6 for me in the sound enjoyment category (just very good for calls/multipoint/my work use case).
But, never having owned the Active 75ts, I think I'm going to buy them and try them out to compare, as I think I prefer the full seal approach, and would be ok with more bombastic bass even if slightly less refined. I'll try and keep ya'll posted if I reach firm conclusions.
The Active 75t is on sale at Best Buy for $139, while the over-ear 85h is on sale for $149. I'm seriously considering one of those, just not sure which one yet!

So, in a quick gut comparison, I bought the Active 75t and A/B'ed them over 20 mins in the BestBuy parking lot. (Got them on sale! :beerchug:

After updating the Active 75t firmware, calling my mom (my fav test subject) and listening to music/playing with the EQ - I came to the conclusion that I vastly prefer the fully sealing 75T immersive feeling than the semi-open 85t. Given the multipoint is there, the ANC and hearthrough (a much better way to introduce outside/ambient noise than the lack of isolation imho), I very quickly realized that even though neither of these are the endgame for me in SQ, I enjoy the bass delivery of the fully sealed 75T more, particularly for bass rumble and extension (after firmware update). The waterproof/exercisability is an added plus.

So, for me, the 75T won very quickly. I didn't do a lot of audio comparison regarding range, separation, detail etc, but the 75T were immediately more 'fun' and immersive for me with the bass, both things I look for esp if I will use them for exercise. Plus, smaller case! Smaller housing. Deeper seal.

If you want a song to compare bass extension, I quite like using the beat of this song to compare:
I am well aware this is not gonna be most of your cup of tea and make no claims that this is the best produced track ever - lol - no need to tell me :wink:

So I walked in and returned by 5 day old 85T, pocketed the $90 difference and haven't looked back at all. I agree that the 85T should not be viewed as a successor to the 75T but a separate style product. (Not sealing, is HUGE, in my experience, and I don't mean the tips, I mean the pass-through port on the 85T. (I ended up finding the smallest tips went the furthest in my ear but not having that passive isolation keeps me from being fully immersed).

Just my 2c obviously, but those of you on the fence bass-wise, I say get the Active 75T and save some $$$. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #26,991 of 63,208
So, in a quick gut comparison, I bought the Active 75t and A/B'ed them over 20 mins in the BestBuy parking lot. (Got them on sale! :beerchug:

After updating the Active 75t firmware, calling my mom (my fav test subject) and listening to music/playing with the EQ - I came to the conclusion that I vastly prefer the fully sealing 75T immersive feeling than the semi-open 85t. Given the multipoint is there, the ANC and hearthrough (a much better way to introduce outside/ambient noise than the lack of isolation imho), I very quickly realized that even though neither of these are the endgame for me in SQ, I enjoy the bass delivery of the fully sealed 75T more, particularly for bass rumble and extension (after firmware update). The waterproof/exercisability is an added plus.

So, for me, the 75T won very quickly. I didn't do a lot of audio comparison regarding range, separation, detail etc, but the 75T were immediately more 'fun' and immersive for me with the bass, both things I look for esp if I will use them for exercise. Plus, smaller case! Smaller housing. Deeper seal.

If you want a song to compare bass extension, I quite like using the beat of this song to compare:
I am well aware this is not gonna be most of your cup of tea and make no claims that this is the best produced track ever - lol - no need to tell me :wink:

So I walked in and returned by 5 day old 85T, pocketed the $90 difference and haven't looked back at all. I agree that the 85T should not be viewed as a successor to the 75T but a separate style product. (Not sealing, is HUGE, in my experience, and I don't mean the tips, I mean the pass-through port on the 85T. (I ended up finding the smallest tips went the furthest in my ear but not having that passive isolation keeps me from being fully immersed).

Just my 2c obviously, but those of you on the fence bass-wise, I say get the Active 75T and save some $$$. :thumbsup:

hmm... thx for the comparison. Can a seal be achieved with the 85t with 3rd party tips? is there room in the case?

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #26,992 of 63,208
I am going to jump into this thread just to share that I do own a couple of bluetooth IEM's (the better of them is the Sony wf-1000xm3), and the sound quality is ok but I don't like that I cannot get the volume/loudness I want for some kinds of music. I know really loud music is bad for my hearing, but I seem to want a bit more than I get using these with my iPhone or my A & K SR15. I end up using the wireless setup for the gym where I listen to audiobooks, mostly. But for listening to music, especially the electronica I have been into lately, I seem to go back to wired.

Is there a way to pump up the volume for bluetooth IEM's of which I am unaware? Not hugely, just a bit. I don't have any volume limiters in effect.

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #26,993 of 63,208
hmm... thx for the comparison. Can a seal be achieved with the 85t with 3rd party tips? is there room in the case?
I believe (internet correct me if I’m mistaken), but the 85t venting is in the housing/interface to the tips and cannot be prevented/changed by using other tips.

I did try my spinfit tips on the 85t (from my Nuarl N6) and it made no difference. I preferred the 85t stock tips. Ymmv

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #26,994 of 63,208
Being using APPs but would like to upgrade because they don't fulfill my bass and SQ needs at the gym. but I love the ANC they provide as I still have to use them while working.
1. Appolo bold.
2. jlab air and something.
3. jabra 85t
4. wait so something new to come out?
Someone, please help me decide.

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #26,995 of 63,208
Nice to hear, they fit you better.
Any chance you can do a fit and sound comparison on the MTW2 vs the Jabras?

Also ordered the MTW2. Do you have any experience with the M&D MW07 Plus and/or the B&O Beoplay E8 3.0? Mainly about fit and sound.
I've had all the ones you mention. The MW07 has very weak ANC. They fit me poorly and hurt my ears after a while. No app and the case is a fingerprint magnet. Sound is great though. I had the B&O E8 and the Sport version. Loved the sound on both, pretty much the same. Preferred the fit on the sport version and loved the case. Returned them because the fit is tight, but no ANC and they're quite pricey for what you get. Right now, my go-to are the MTW2, Jabra 85T and then my APP for mostly calls and late night tv viewing while the family sleeps. I would say if you could get a deal on the Sennies, get them over the Jabra. Since Sennheiser added high-end sound tuning on the MTW2, the sound is wonderful. They both have similar features (Jabra has Qi charging), but the MTW2 have the edge on sound. Wider soundstage and better instrument separation. All that said, fit on the Jabra 85T with the largest stock tips seems to be working really well for me with zero fatigue. I don't feel them in my ears like the MTW2. SO, to answer your question simply, fit = Jabra. Sound = Sennies. But it's all subjective. Buy both off Amazon and try them out and see for yourself. Amazon has a great return policy.

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #26,996 of 63,208
Being using APPs but would like to upgrade because they don't fulfill my bass and SQ needs at the gym. but I love the ANC they provide as I still have to use them while working.
1. Appolo bold.
2. jlab air and something.
3. jabra 85t
4. wait so something new to come out?
Someone, please help me decide.
Given my recent experience and your gym use, get the Jabra 75t active while they’re on sale, I’d say.

nuarl N6 mini are also appealing to me, but I haven’t tried them and heard eq is necessary (and it doesn’t have an app iirc)

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #26,997 of 63,208
Third party tips are problematic with the 85t's because of the very large oval stem. Also, the provided tips have a mesh inside that, I assume, is intended to keep earwax and dirt out of the earphones. Third party tips won't have that.

What I did was follow these instructions: https://www.imore.com/diy-make-your-own-moldable-ear-buds-cheap. I decided to start with Blu-tack (which I had handy) rather than Sugru, because I thought Blu-tack would be more easily removable in case I ultimately decide to return or sell the earphones. With Blu-tack added under the provided large size tips, as described in the article (took about 3 minutes total), the fit and isolation (and comfort) is much improved. YMMV, of course.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #26,998 of 63,208
I've had all the ones you mention. The MW07 has very weak ANC. They fit me poorly and hurt my ears after a while. No app and the case is a fingerprint magnet. Sound is great though. I had the B&O E8 and the Sport version. Loved the sound on both, pretty much the same. Preferred the fit on the sport version and loved the case. Returned them because the fit is tight, but no ANC and they're quite pricey for what you get. Right now, my go-to are the MTW2, Jabra 85T and then my APP for mostly calls and late night tv viewing while the family sleeps. I would say if you could get a deal on the Sennies, get them over the Jabra. Since Sennheiser added high-end sound tuning on the MTW2, the sound is wonderful. They both have similar features (Jabra has Qi charging), but the MTW2 have the edge on sound. Wider soundstage and better instrument separation. All that said, fit on the Jabra 85T with the largest stock tips seems to be working really well for me with zero fatigue. I don't feel them in my ears like the MTW2. SO, to answer your question simply, fit = Jabra. Sound = Sennies. But it's all subjective. Buy both off Amazon and try them out and see for yourself. Amazon has a great return policy.
Thanks a lot. Yes, the MTW2 should arrive tomorrow. Android and AAC is somehow annoying, that's why I didn't think of the 85T. I just hope the MTW2 fit my ears. Should be fine then.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #26,999 of 63,208
Thx for sharing your observations. I'm going to go for the jabra 85t to replace my stolen APP's, the multipoint is just too good to pass up.

The other thing I want to highlight is the role in dsp in sound. I always found it interesting that many (most?) audiophiles shy away from experimenting with dsp to mod and improve sound. I've been actively experimenting with earbuds, heavily changing their FR quite substantially in some cases, with good results. I'm glad to see sennheiser add their high-end option via software. I think this is the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back