Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 21, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #26,776 of 62,143
Been listening to the AKG N400, and I got to say I'm not the biggest fan. I think it's a tuning people will prefer over the APP however. It has a bit of V-shaped response. Thumping bass with upper-mids emphasis. I'm not fan of the upper-mids emphasis, as the articulation sound uneven in the treble with a bit much focus on the upper-mids frequencies. Bass is ok, it sounds like the typical TWS bass, a bit mushy like usual.

The upper-mids treble articulation has the typical artificial textures you get from typical wireless headphones like Bose QC 35.

I recall Galaxy Buds+ had too much upper-mids or treble, and N400 has tad less there, so it's better tolerable.

Overall, I much prefer the Bose QC Earbuds over the N400. Bose's sound stage is impressive, and the bass is much better presented.

Personally, I prefer the upper frequencies of the APP over the N400, but I do wish APP has more bass like the Bose, or even the N400. Bose sounds like upper frequency tonality of APP with bigger sound stage and better bass response in terms of impact and tightness.

Edit: The response of N400 seems to be very close to Buds+ I wonder if they are identical?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #26,777 of 62,143
Any of you know of other TWS' that support multiple devices simultaneously like the 75t and 85t?

I believe the Huawei Freebuds Pro do as well.

Just got my hands on the Bose QC TWE this morning. boy...it's massive! it's thicker and wider than the sony. will compare it with the Nuarl N10 Pro once i have more time with it later tonight.

DSC_0180.JPG
Very curious to hear your thoughts on the N10 Pro - ad the pocketability of the case/calls.

@tma6 Thanks for the Elite 85t impressions! I'm keen to hopefully get these on release via Amazon. :D

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #26,778 of 62,143
No way to turn off ANC on the 85Ts without using the app ? Not as bad as the Bose where it can't be turned off at all but you have to wonder sometimes if the people who design TWEs actually use them ! The ANC devices that will not pick up wind noise don't exist (yet ?) so that means it's going to be impossible to ride a bike without thumbing through the app and it's going to be annoying in windy streets.
Also the hiss between tracks with ANC On/Off is worrying, yeah you can "live" with it but from my experience with the L2Ps v1/v2 or the FiLL T1, it's just impossible to "unhear" once you've noticed it...

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #26,779 of 62,143
Also want to add that the 85Ts are super loud. 50% volume is more then enough for me.
And I don't have any hiss between the songs playing.
ANC is very impressive.
I like that the buds go to sleep to preserve the battery.

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #26,780 of 62,143
I used the Bose QC extensively today for 2-3hrs and spent around 30mins or so A/B testing it against the Nuarl N10 Pro. My setup is USB Player Pro on TIDA with bit perfect out put setting. The Bose QC feels bass heavy and the bass bleeds into the mids colouring the sound. It sounds like a 15" subwoofer rumbling at the back ground. This is very pronounce if you have a pure Acoustic track or Piano track playing. The instruments just don't sound natural to me. Grand Piano sounds like electric keyboard and guitar sounds like electric guitar. The sound stage is very wide, on some tracks i can feel the music is coming around 3cm out side the ear. In-comparison, the Nuarl N10 sounds much cleaner. It doesn't have that bass rumble, nor is the bass punchy. Have to say the N10 lacks bass but it makes up for it in imaging, separation and sound stage. Yes. It beats the Bose QC on sound stage. Its about 7-8cm out side the ear. its especially clear on tracks like Nora Jones seven years on TIDA Master, the acoustic guitar positioning is much further to the left behind the ear, while the vocal is right of the head. the Bose has the acoustic guitar positioned inside the left ear while the vocal is towards the centre of the head. On pop tracks and female vocals the Bose feels warmer tube like, the N10 feels more clinical natural AKG/ Etymotic type sound where you can hear each whisper. I personally prefer the N10 Pro with its clarity and impressive sound stage. I just don't like the Bose QC bass its less punchy and tight like the Nuarl N6 mini my wife picked up few weeks ago and the N6 drivers are considered bass heavy.

ANC performance, Bose wins hands down. it suppresses all frequency ranges while the N10(high ANC mode) suppresses the lower frequency better making the outside noise sound very weird with higher frequency more prominent.

Call performance the N10 Pro sounded less compressed while the Bose QC made the voice sound more higher pitched (only tested on calls twice today) but both caller had no issues hearing my voice clearly.

All the ANC earbuds are massive but Bose is the biggest in that department compared to the N10 and Sony. the case is about 10% smaller than the sony case while the N10 is thinner and longer. i don't think it would be comfortable to carry any of those in your pocket unless of course you're after some stares then N10 would be your choice inside a tight pants pocket :). i would consider the N6 mini/Mifo O7 size to be pocketable.

If your looking for ANC performance and Bass the Bose should be your pick. If your looking for SQ with more comfortable fit/size the Nuarl N10 is the better pick (heaps of tips to choose from). I also prefer the button controls over touch control, as you know that "click" is going to do exactly what you pressed it for. But i would hold off your purchase of the N10 for a few weeks as they are updating the firmware/APP to add more EQ setting to boost bass and better connection fixes (i had issues with one side of the earbud losing sound then coming back on, which apparently is not just me).
DSC_0181.JPG
DSC_0183.JPG
DSC_0184.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #26,781 of 62,143
Also I can use spinfit tips with 85Ts. They don't fall out and sound is better cause they go deeper in my ears.

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #26,782 of 62,143
I used the Bose QC extensively today for 2-3hrs and spent around 30mins or so A/B testing it against the Nuarl N10 Pro. My setup is USB Player Pro on TIDA with bit perfect out put setting. The Bose QC feels bass heavy and the bass bleeds into the mids colouring the sound. It sounds like a 15" subwoofer rumbling at the back ground. This is very pronounce if you have a pure Acoustic track or Piano track playing. The instruments just don't sound natural to me. Grand Piano sounds like electric keyboard and guitar sounds like electric guitar. The sound stage is very wide, on some tracks i can feel the music is coming around 3cm out side the ear. In-comparison, the Nuarl N10 sounds much cleaner. It doesn't have that bass rumble, nor is the bass punchy. Have to say the N10 lacks bass but it makes up for it in imaging, separation and sound stage. Yes. It beats the Bose QC on sound stage. Its about 7-8cm out side the ear. its especially clear on tracks like Nora Jones seven years on TIDA Master, the acoustic guitar positioning is much further to the left behind the ear, while the vocal is right of the head. the Bose has the acoustic guitar positioned inside the left ear while the vocal is towards the centre of the head. On pop tracks and female vocals the Bose feels warmer tube like, the N10 feels more clinical natural AKG/ Etymotic type sound where you can hear each whisper. I personally prefer the N10 Pro with its clarity and impressive sound stage. I just don't like the Bose QC bass its less punchy and tight like the Nuarl N6 mini my wife picked up few weeks ago and the N6 drivers are considered bass heavy.

ANC performance, Bose wins hands down. it suppresses all frequency ranges while the N10(high ANC mode) suppresses the lower frequency better making the outside noise sound very weird with higher frequency more prominent.

Call performance the N10 Pro sounded less compressed while the Bose QC made the voice sound more higher pitched (only tested on calls twice today) but both caller had no issues hearing my voice clearly.

All the ANC earbuds are massive but Bose is the biggest in that department compared to the N10 and Sony. the case is about 10% smaller than the sony case while the N10 is thinner and longer. i don't think it would be comfortable to carry any of those in your pocket unless of course you're after some stares then N10 would be your choice inside a tight pants pocket :). i would consider the N6 mini/Mifo O7 size to be pocketable.

If your looking for ANC performance and Bass the Bose should be your pick. If your looking for SQ with more comfortable fit/size the Nuarl N10 is the better pick (heaps of tips to choose from). I also prefer the button controls over touch control, as you know that "click" is going to do exactly what you pressed it for. But i would hold off your purchase of the N10 for a few weeks as they are updating the firmware/APP to add more EQ setting to boost bass and better connection fixes (i had issues with one side of the earbud losing sound then coming back on, which apparently is not just me).

If NUARL can manage to add some sort of manual EQ it will definitely be an instant buy (need a sub-bass boost). Otherwise, it doesn't seem as compelling an upgrade from an N6P if you never listen to the N10P

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #26,783 of 62,143
Also I can use spinfit tips with 85Ts. They don't fall out and sound is better cause they go deeper in my ears.
did you pick up the 85t's in a best buy store?

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #26,784 of 62,143
Yes Bestbuy. They have plenty.

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #26,785 of 62,143
No way to turn off ANC on the 85Ts without using the app ? Not as bad as the Bose where it can't be turned off at all but you have to wonder sometimes if the people who design TWEs actually use them ! The ANC devices that will not pick up wind noise don't exist (yet ?) so that means it's going to be impossible to ride a bike without thumbing through the app and it's going to be annoying in windy streets.
Also the hiss between tracks with ANC On/Off is worrying, yeah you can "live" with it but from my experience with the L2Ps v1/v2 or the FiLL T1, it's just impossible to "unhear" once you've noticed it...
Can you not do this by using MyControls in the Jabra Sounds app to change a button control to ANC Off rather than Hearthrough? You can definitely turn off ANC in the app...

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #26,786 of 62,143
Also want to add that the 85Ts are super loud. 50% volume is more then enough for me.
And I don't have any hiss between the songs playing.
ANC is very impressive.
I like that the buds go to sleep to preserve the battery.
Thanks for adding in this context. Very excited to try them.

Thank you so much or the pics and the info! This answered a lot for me - I'm curious to see how the N10Pro fare after the EQ update/app update.

BUT! My burning question now is - what do you think of the N6 Mini? :beerchug:

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #26,787 of 62,143
Couple questions;

1. I bought the Hiby R3 pro which comes with bluetooth 5.0. expecting maybe a bit better sound from my smartphone which is also a blue tooth 5.0 device.
Smartphone with very good connection; But the connection with R3 pro DAP is very disappointing. It drops all the time. What else affecting the connection? I tried more than 1 earbuds, e.g. Fiil T1X, Lypertek Tevi, Aukey EP-N5, etc.,

2. I bought the Aukey EP-N5 mainly want to try the ANC effect but again disappointing very much, almost can't tell the difference. MY ear problem or really that this one ANC not so strong? Around budget which one comes with the strongest ANC power? Which earbuds has the best ANC no matter the budget? If really good and i could consider up to budget about Bose ANC earbuds, but this maybe with big bass which i don't like a lot...

Thanks

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #26,788 of 62,143
Alright here's some first impressions of the Jabra after about 5 hours of use:

Sound: Right off the bat the sound is great. I need more time for a full breakdown but here are some early thoughts:
- First, I'd recommend trying the hearing test, it actually worked really well for me in terms of correcting the tonal balance.
- Overall these are much more balanced than the 75ts, but they still have a solid mid bass punch with much better end to end extension. It's a slight U shaped sound with bass emphasis, but it's tasteful this time around.
- Bass is cleaned up considerably, and packs a punch while refraining from infringing on the mids. It's still got good rumble but it's definitely tighter than on the 75ts and has really nice texture for a TWS. It's sometimes a bit hollow, but I'm now used to some crazy high end wired sets so I'm being nitpicky.
- Mids are way better than on the 75ts. The soundstage is pretty great actually, and might be one of the widest I've heard so far on a TWS, but much more testing is needed for a final determination. Instrument separation is excellent in the mids and highs, perhaps a little less so in the upper bass / lower mids. Not quite MTW2 level of separation, but the staging is wider than the MTW2. Imaging is not quite as accurate as N6P, but it's still distinct and logical. I like the mids overall more than the Xm3s and despite the slight recess, they're definitely well done here. Timbre is interesting - vocals feel natural while there's a bit more coloration on instruments. It's pleasant though and preferable to the Senns to my ears (which were had too much of a consumer oriented tonality to my liking).
- Highs have impressive extension for a TWS and really surprising detail. There's a crispness that can verge on sharpness in the lower highs around 2-3k, but once again it's tasteful. Good extension at the very top and cymbals have nice decay. Slight roll off there at the very top but nothing egregious. None of the weird upper treble timbre that some TWS sets like Airpods Pro, Sonys and L2Ps have. Not as natural overall as the N6P, but those are still my faves for tonality.

Features: Jabra have knocked it out of the park with the features. I'm honestly super impressed so far.
- The ANC is noticeably better than any other TWS I've tried - this includes the Airpods Pro, the Sony xm3s, the Senn MTW2s, and I guess the Earfun Air Pros (though they really don't belong on this list). As usual, they do require a good seal for the ANC to work properly which meant I had to put in the largest tip size and it was so strong that I was taken aback a bit. I'll describe in more detail in a full review, but just know that it's excellent and did great with wind noise too.
- The passthrough is as natural as the Airpods Pro and that's saying a lot. It's not insanely magnifying, but without music it lets you hear your surroundings very well and it doesn't sound artificial at all. Also very impressed.
- Phone calls so far have just been excellent, maybe even better than the Airpods and I'm not saying that lightly. It just so happened that I had to make a bunch of phone calls today walking around NYC and at the supermarket and it seemed super clear to the other caller. Very very happy about this.
- Multi-pair with computer and phone is seamless and it's just such a nice feature to have. Not sure why other TWS can't do this.
- One weird thing is that the button controls on the buds only allow you to switch back and forth between ANC / Hear through modes. However, ANC / HT can be turned off in the app, so they can be used just normally.
- Can't tell yet if there's a difference in sound btw ANC and Off, gotta listen more.
- There's a discernible hiss when a song stops playing with ANC on or Off, but not noticeable when music is going, even in soft passages.
- Controls overall are really good and you get everything including volume, which is nice.
- Comfort is TBD, but so far so good.

I guess you could say that overall my impressions are great, but keep in mind that this is a honeymoon phase so take these notes with a grain of salt. I'll be putting them through all the paces for a full review. That being said, there's no question that I'm a fan so far.
They appear to have a "mute" button on calls, which if it works which they often don't with Teams/Zoom, then it puts it ahead of almost any other competitor include Bose.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #26,789 of 62,143
They appear to have a "mute" button on calls, which if it works which they often don't with Teams/Zoom, then it puts it ahead of almost any other competitor include Bose.

I was literally just walking with my Galaxy Buds Live today wondering "why dont they put a mite button on these things?"

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #26,790 of 62,143
Is the Nuarl 10 Pro a worthy upgrade to the Nuarl 6 Pro? I have gone through most of the $200 plus earbuds over the past year and I prefer the Nural 6 Pros, sound wise and form factor wise. I am looking forward to buying the 10s when they are available, if they are enough of a worthy upgrade.
Merci.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back