Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 21, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #26,761 of 62,440
So this was a surprise. Just got a hold of a pair of Jabra Elite 85t at Best Buy! Did not realize they were out yet, but I guess I got in early? Anyway, I’ll be providing impressions soon.
I saw that too, to rich for my blood. I'm excited for your impressions. I'm waiting for them to show up on my employee site so I can get my 40% off. :wink:.

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #26,763 of 62,440
So about a year ago I was an early adopter of the Jabra 75t and wrote here that they were some of my least favorites I had heard up until that point. I must have had a defective pair at the time or something was wrong with the EQ software on my phone because I tried them again a few months later and they weren't nearly as bad. Still, I found them to be way too bassy and boomy and did not like the timbre at all. Even with EQ I could not get them to sound right to my ears, so I ended up returning them.

It's very early, but the Jabra 85ts are a whole different ballgame. So far I'm thoroughly impressed with pretty much every aspect of these buds, including the sound. But I'll reserve full impressions for a little bit later today once I've done some more music testing.

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #26,764 of 62,440
Not sure if anyone cares, but I decided to purchase a second set of MPOW M30's the non-plus version this time. I found that cases between the two are not interchangable as I believe was previously mentioned due to the polarity being different in the right ear buds. You could force them into place and hold the lid closed, but why? Also, The regular M30 definitely sounds different, they have less bass/midbass and sound a bit crisper, which I actually really like. Unfortunately, the right bud of the M30 non plus I received has INSANE driver flex during insertion and the balance was off. The right bud has some reduced output, probably a bad driver, so they are being exchanged.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #26,766 of 62,440
So about a year ago I was an early adopter of the Jabra 75t and wrote here that they were some of my least favorites I had heard up until that point. I must have had a defective pair at the time or something was wrong with the EQ software on my phone because I tried them again a few months later and they weren't nearly as bad. Still, I found them to be way too bassy and boomy and did not like the timbre at all. Even with EQ I could not get them to sound right to my ears, so I ended up returning them.

It's very early, but the Jabra 85ts are a whole different ballgame. So far I'm thoroughly impressed with pretty much every aspect of these buds, including the sound. But I'll reserve full impressions for a little bit later today once I've done some more music testing.
Good to hear, I also had the 75t when the bass was unbearabe. One or two firmware updates later they totally nerf'd it. My biggest frustration has always been the unbalanced audio and the low max volume since that update. After that it seemed like no matter how you eq them it didn't make much difference. I haven't used them for music since the latest ANC update as I mostly use these for audiobooks and for Skype, Zoom, Teams connected to my work comp and phone simultaneously. but I'm going to run them tonight. They really are a productivity dream if you can find the right tips. I'm really excited to hear your updated impressions.

Any of you know of other TWS' that support multiple devices simultaneously like the 75t and 85t?

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #26,767 of 62,440
What's the consensus on the momentum TWS 2 vs the Sony WF-1000XM3? I'm looking at these two as my main options and would like top tier sound but also something that doesn't have niggling issues with battery/connectivity.
Haven't tried the MTW2, but I have the XM3's and they are solid. Some folks have fit issues and they are rather large.

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #26,768 of 62,440
I actually picked up the MTW2 Anniversary Edition and got them today. Looking forward to testing out that new tuning option.
I have to say, the new tuning option really is awesome. I can hear a big difference and I'm loving the style of the Anniversary Edition MTW2s.
IMG_4102.jpeg

IMG_4101.jpeg

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #26,769 of 62,440
What's the consensus on the momentum TWS 2 vs the Sony WF-1000XM3? I'm looking at these two as my main options and would like top tier sound but also something that doesn't have niggling issues with battery/connectivity.

I would add the Jabra Elite 85ts into the mix.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #26,771 of 62,440
Alright here's some first impressions of the Jabra after about 5 hours of use:

Sound: Right off the bat the sound is great. I need more time for a full breakdown but here are some early thoughts:
- First, I'd recommend trying the hearing test, it actually worked really well for me in terms of correcting the tonal balance.
- Overall these are much more balanced than the 75ts, but they still have a solid mid bass punch with much better end to end extension. It's a slight U shaped sound with bass emphasis, but it's tasteful this time around.
- Bass is cleaned up considerably, and packs a punch while refraining from infringing on the mids. It's still got good rumble but it's definitely tighter than on the 75ts and has really nice texture for a TWS. It's sometimes a bit hollow, but I'm now used to some crazy high end wired sets so I'm being nitpicky.
- Mids are way better than on the 75ts. The soundstage is pretty great actually, and might be one of the widest I've heard so far on a TWS, but much more testing is needed for a final determination. Instrument separation is excellent in the mids and highs, perhaps a little less so in the upper bass / lower mids. Not quite MTW2 level of separation, but the staging is wider than the MTW2. Imaging is not quite as accurate as N6P, but it's still distinct and logical. I like the mids overall more than the Xm3s and despite the slight recess, they're definitely well done here. Timbre is interesting - vocals feel natural while there's a bit more coloration on instruments. It's pleasant though and preferable to the Senns to my ears (which were had too much of a consumer oriented tonality to my liking).
- Highs have impressive extension for a TWS and really surprising detail. There's a crispness that can verge on sharpness in the lower highs around 2-3k, but once again it's tasteful. Good extension at the very top and cymbals have nice decay. Slight roll off there at the very top but nothing egregious. None of the weird upper treble timbre that some TWS sets like Airpods Pro, Sonys and L2Ps have. Not as natural overall as the N6P, but those are still my faves for tonality.

Features: Jabra have knocked it out of the park with the features. I'm honestly super impressed so far.
- The ANC is noticeably better than any other TWS I've tried - this includes the Airpods Pro, the Sony xm3s, the Senn MTW2s, and I guess the Earfun Air Pros (though they really don't belong on this list). As usual, they do require a good seal for the ANC to work properly which meant I had to put in the largest tip size and it was so strong that I was taken aback a bit. I'll describe in more detail in a full review, but just know that it's excellent and did great with wind noise too.
- The passthrough is as natural as the Airpods Pro and that's saying a lot. It's not insanely magnifying, but without music it lets you hear your surroundings very well and it doesn't sound artificial at all. Also very impressed.
- Phone calls so far have just been excellent, maybe even better than the Airpods and I'm not saying that lightly. It just so happened that I had to make a bunch of phone calls today walking around NYC and at the supermarket and it seemed super clear to the other caller. Very very happy about this.
- Multi-pair with computer and phone is seamless and it's just such a nice feature to have. Not sure why other TWS can't do this.
- One weird thing is that the button controls on the buds only allow you to switch back and forth between ANC / Hear through modes. However, ANC / HT can be turned off in the app, so they can be used just normally.
- Can't tell yet if there's a difference in sound btw ANC and Off, gotta listen more.
- There's a discernible hiss when a song stops playing with ANC on or Off, but not noticeable when music is going, even in soft passages.
- Controls overall are really good and you get everything including volume, which is nice.
- Comfort is TBD, but so far so good.

I guess you could say that overall my impressions are great, but keep in mind that this is a honeymoon phase so take these notes with a grain of salt. I'll be putting them through all the paces for a full review. That being said, there's no question that I'm a fan so far.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #26,772 of 62,440
Forgot to mention that I'm also just a fan of the design and how small these things look in the ear. They stick out slightly, but they're an attractive pair, particularly when compared with other ANC buds out right now. And that case is still super small, which I love.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #26,773 of 62,440
Forgot to mention that I'm also just a fan of the design and how small these things look in the ear. They stick out slightly, but they're an attractive pair, particularly when compared with other ANC buds out right now. And that case is still super small, which I love.

How about the tips, saw that they are proprietary. Is it similar to the AirPods Pro tips?

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #26,774 of 62,440
How about the tips, saw that they are proprietary. Is it similar to the AirPods Pro tips?

Similar shape, but don't have that click on feature. Kind of annoying that they're proprietary, but the big ones seal well for me.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #26,775 of 62,440
What I don't like about the Jabras.. Lack of aptx, so their multi point feature isn't nearly as good as it could be.

Generally I want to stay connected to both my phone and PC, on PC I'm stuck on lousy SBC if there's no aptx.

Sure, the Sennheiser MTW 2 doesn't have multi point. But you can easily switch device in the app, however aptx is so much better than SBC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back