Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 17, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #26,628 of 62,390
Nice Saturday after the work week and some bad weather moving out allowed me to take the Cleer Goal out for a real test spin. A total success I think. Did the full court basketball test and it gets an A+. Need to walk totally out of the court almost 30 feet till my first drop so 75 feet unobstructed without issue. Even 50 feet and turning to my sides putting my body or head at least between the device and each side caused no drops. Otherwise quick connection before I looked down at the device after putting them in they were connected. Zero connection issues when I was not testing the limits.

Fit is indeed sweet just the front of the driver in front and the fin in the back touch making them less obtrusive and less there so a bit more comfy and enjoyable to wear. Great but still unfamiliar very stable fit combine with less touch is kinda cool. They feel like they aren't really in well with the light touch yet they aren't going anywhere.

As an earpod style driver they allow ambient noise in and zero thump running around, no noise from a racquet traveling up the arm or grabbing and even dribbling a basketball close is better. Noise that would conduct no longer does and stays in the background behind the drivers more "up front' presentation. So you can hear things yet some things are less invasive.

Sound is warm neutral really. I have about 24 hour on the 13.4mm driver at this point. Slightly warm in a quiet environs but outside sheds some note weight making them more close to neutral. Again this does depend on your ears and fit so the YMMV some works here.I still like a less bright or more bassy EQ outside playing sports and such but still good on a flat EQ even for bass just I do like more weight and thickness overall. They take EQ quite well as you might think an open and clean sound would or should. Sound is balanced and airy with the big stage. Of course more earbud or small speaker presentation than in-ear. Still the bass is low to sub focus and there is a clear lower note focus into a bit lower mid-bass that is very clean. Not an ear bud bass roll which is nice. Clarity is very nice esp. on aptX but even on SBC. Very natural and accurate tone, a nice amount of detail. Of course having the airy signature eliminates any congestion and allows more things to be easily heard as far as detail and separation and imaging. The best I have heard in TWS though I haven't sampled too many while waiting for better stuff(will get the new Aviot triple hybrid when it drops) and the 5.2 LC3+ codec to come.

Would love to hear these and the BOSE Sport compared I think I made the right choice between the two but not fair since I haven't tried the Bose but I mean for sound. I know the Cleer have full track and volume control, aptX and more battery and more ear fin adjustment ability and a smaller case so on the other stuff they do more and were $90 vs. $180. Outside of sound I couldn't justify the BOSE but sound is important.

Really recommend them if you are on the market for an open style. Everything is super solid and the only caveat would be the fit and what you get as far the the bass power but not unexpected with the form factor and certainly enough fit options, even ones not included, that it should end up working nicely for most everyone. Not the same like Sabat options that people complain about an unstable fit that is not for sports. The reason I never clicked buy on the Vooplay.

Oct 17, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #26,629 of 62,390
Speaking of the BOSE Sport I just saw this video went up...

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #26,631 of 62,390
My Earfun Air Pro show up Tuesday, right in time for me to try them for a day before I fly on Wednesday and backpack around for a year or so. Supposedly they were actually made in collaboration with Edifier, with Earfun providing their ANC algorithm in exchange for being able to sell their own version. The Earfun seem to be a bit less “premium” - lower price, case is just plain plastic and not that nice instead of the faux leather Edifier has, and the exterior finish of the earbuds appears to be just a different black plastic as opposed to the metallic (aluminum?) finish of the Edifier TWS NB2.

Nonetheless, they seemed like a deal at $64, and if the comfort is good and the sound is at least close to the FIIL, and the case is pocketable and supports C2C charging, I’ll wind up sticking with those.

Oct 18, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #26,632 of 62,390
Check this out - 40 gigabits per second. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ay

I was rather thinking about UWB technology akin to what Apple is starting to implement in their devices in the form of the U1 chip. Wifi has inherent limitations for real-time audio and power consumption. I'm not sure what UWB allows to do in terms of wireless audio but perhaps it could combine Wifi's data rate with very little lag, all the while consuming low enough power to be easily embedded in wearables like TW earbuds.

Perhaps this could finally what could put in practice, even in power constrained devices like TW earbuds, lossless wireless audio + 100m range + 60-80 ms lag + easy and robust multiple devices audio syncing ?

That being said IMO current wireless bluetooth codecs are way less of a problem than poor wireless audio implementation in the first place (I've seen plenty of APTX enabled headphones that exhibited audible distortion) and even less of a problem than inadequate frequency response curves in general, lack of individualisation of the FR curve to the user's anatomy, and lack of advanced real time DSPs.

Let's just say that it's quite pointless to have LDAC on a pair of WH1000-XM3 given how horribly low-fi their frequency response curve looks like in the first place, for example.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #26,633 of 62,390
Oh man that sucks... strangely, every time I’ve plugged my case in to charge over the last few days I see 5 solid white lights which implies that it’s fully charged. I’ve worn them for like an hour and they still show 100% on the app. i kind of expected mediocre battery life

hope your issue resolves
I noticed my case is showing 5 lights as well after several uses this week.

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #26,634 of 62,390
Wow, what a bummer.

The Edifier TWSNB2 I received this week and only used about 2 hours to compare them to my (also pretty new) L2P and then stored in the fully charged case, have already failed.

The right earbud will not power up at all. The left one do power up and connect almost instantly when I open the charging case, but for the life of me I could not get the right one to power up. Tried the double click to reset the earbud and do their interconnection again, but nothing ever happens with double click. The light in the case simply keep slowly flashing green showing it is charging the left bud.
Holding the connection button do lead to losing connection with my phone and rapid white/green flashes, but as soon as I connect it back only the left bud will work.

I also left the case charging (plugged in) with both earbud inside for 4 hours and tested everything I could think of without success. Leaving only the left bud in the case with cover on, the light flashes green showing it is charging correctly, but doing the same with the right bud will not make the light flash, clearly showing it not charging/faulty/other.

What a worthless piece of junk, I got 2 hours of use out of it before it broke by itself when lying on my desk for 3 days. I am contacting the seller on Aliexpress to see if they have any kind of warranty, but I doubt I have lost my money.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #26,635 of 62,390
Hi All. I’m lost. Quick question please. Does this dual “5.2” connection work with iPhones on iOS 14?

Attachments

• D4FB6395-B087-419B-B895-B6667FA85391.jpeg
    D4FB6395-B087-419B-B895-B6667FA85391.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 0
Oct 18, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #26,640 of 62,390
I've also had no issue with usb-c to usb-c with the fiil using a tommax 18w pd charger and ugreen cable.

I have noticed, though, that when the case battery gets low, wireless charging doesn't work. I've tried 3 different QI chargers - all the same result
So it does seem like an iterative improvement over the T1XS, but dumbfounding why they would tell users they intentionally made the that one C-to-A only except a) sell you the more expensive product and b) push you to use older chargers with an older cable "to be safe".

Wireless charging compatibility has been hit or miss on the TWS I've used. Some cases don't charge with certain 10W chargers, which may be related to whether the charger can adjust its power. The Sabbat E12 Ultra works with most chargers EXCEPT Samsung's. The Astrotec S60 and Earfun Free Qi charging are rather picky with 10W chargers, while Jabees Firefly Pro and Samsung Galaxy Buds+ work with everything I've used so far and can even charge while leaning on Samsung's stand. However, the Buds+ won't charge/charge slowly when in hot weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back