Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 18, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #26,641 of 62,437
Has anyone noticed that during a Bluetooth dropout where the left-right buds cut out asynchronously, there is an odd "zap" sensation going across their heads? I'm no radiation conspiracy theorist, but even if it's just a placebo it is sometimes uncomfortable (can't say for sure if it leads to headaches etc.).

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #26,642 of 62,437
I want AirPlay TWS buds :) or even headphones. supposedly lossless. Can you imagine?
I don't really know what AirPlay is, since I hate Apple too much for their overall shady business model (nothing I want to discuss here :)), but isn't it transmitting over WiFi, which would require the buds to connect to a some kind of hotspot on your phone?

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #26,645 of 62,437
Nice Saturday after the work week and some bad weather moving out allowed me to take the Cleer Goal out for a real test spin. A total success I think. Did the full court basketball test and it gets an A+. Need to walk totally out of the court almost 30 feet till my first drop so 75 feet unobstructed without issue. Even 50 feet and turning to my sides putting my body or head at least between the device and each side caused no drops. Otherwise quick connection before I looked down at the device after putting them in they were connected. Zero connection issues when I was not testing the limits.

Fit is indeed sweet just the front of the driver in front and the fin in the back touch making them less obtrusive and less there so a bit more comfy and enjoyable to wear. Great but still unfamiliar very stable fit combine with less touch is kinda cool. They feel like they aren't really in well with the light touch yet they aren't going anywhere.

As an earpod style driver they allow ambient noise in and zero thump running around, no noise from a racquet traveling up the arm or grabbing and even dribbling a basketball close is better. Noise that would conduct no longer does and stays in the background behind the drivers more "up front' presentation. So you can hear things yet some things are less invasive.

Sound is warm neutral really. I have about 24 hour on the 13.4mm driver at this point. Slightly warm in a quiet environs but outside sheds some note weight making them more close to neutral. Again this does depend on your ears and fit so the YMMV some works here.I still like a less bright or more bassy EQ outside playing sports and such but still good on a flat EQ even for bass just I do like more weight and thickness overall. They take EQ quite well as you might think an open and clean sound would or should. Sound is balanced and airy with the big stage. Of course more earbud or small speaker presentation than in-ear. Still the bass is low to sub focus and there is a clear lower note focus into a bit lower mid-bass that is very clean. Not an ear bud bass roll which is nice. Clarity is very nice esp. on aptX but even on SBC. Very natural and accurate tone, a nice amount of detail. Of course having the airy signature eliminates any congestion and allows more things to be easily heard as far as detail and separation and imaging. The best I have heard in TWS though I haven't sampled too many while waiting for better stuff(will get the new Aviot triple hybrid when it drops) and the 5.2 LC3+ codec to come.

Would love to hear these and the BOSE Sport compared I think I made the right choice between the two but not fair since I haven't tried the Bose but I mean for sound. I know the Cleer have full track and volume control, aptX and more battery and more ear fin adjustment ability and a smaller case so on the other stuff they do more and were $90 vs. $180. Outside of sound I couldn't justify the BOSE but sound is important.

Really recommend them if you are on the market for an open style. Everything is super solid and the only caveat would be the fit and what you get as far the the bass power but not unexpected with the form factor and certainly enough fit options, even ones not included, that it should end up working nicely for most everyone. Not the same like Sabat options that people complain about an unstable fit that is not for sports. The reason I never clicked buy on the Vooplay.

Sounds great for sports. Do you know if it does aac? From the cleer site it seems like it doesn’t, which would be a downer for iPhone.

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #26,646 of 62,437
Sounds great for sports. Do you know if it does aac? From the cleer site it seems like it doesn’t, which would be a downer for iPhone.

Manual says SBC, aptX, mp3 for the codecs.

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #26,648 of 62,437
I recently did a hour and half commute into NYC with the Galaxy Buds Live for the first time since the COVID shutdowns and was initially bummed I left my SE846 at home...then I realized how convenient they are with the open design and ANC (helped with train AC noise but could still hear announcements). They did not leave my ears until I was in my office or back home (after I washed my hands and applied generous amounts of hand sanitizer). Not having any wires is nice when you have to wear a mask.
I tested the Beans. So far not impressed at all.

Sound wise they are quite bad. Even the music from my speakers coming through the Beans (when not playing music) sounds better. AAC on Android (due to lacking aptX support) with the dynamic preset, which sounds the best by far.

And the ANC seems to do nothing except a slight bass boost. I tested it playing some noise with my speakers and toggling ANC on the Beans. Except for the bass boost there is no noise reduction whatsoever as far as I can tell.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #26,649 of 62,437
I tested the Beans. So far not impressed at all.

Sound wise they are quite bad. Even the music from my speakers coming through the Beans (when not playing music) sounds better. AAC on Android (due to lacking aptX support) with the dynamic preset, which sounds the best by far.

And the ANC seems to do nothing except a slight bass boost. I tested it playing some noise with my speakers and toggling ANC on the Beans. Except for the bass boost there is no noise reduction whatsoever as far as I can tell.

Sorry to hear. Seems like we just have different preferences. I personally started using them on Treble Boost then briefly on the Clear Setting. I am now using them on Normal. Based on your EQ setting preferences, I think we just have different tastes and, as many others have said here, it may just be differences in fit, expectations or simply personal preference. For overall comfort/fit and convenience (what I look for in TWS) the Galaxy Buds Live have replaced my Senn MTWs and MW07 Go, both of which I rarely use now. While the MTW and MW07 Go certainly have better SQ to my ears. I prefer IEMs with passive isolation for when I really care about SQ and use my SE846 instead.

The Galaxy Buds Live have been fantastic for calls (my main use case) and I use them for calls a few hours every day. I was just noting that I was pleasantly surprised at how great they were for the commute to my office in NYC.

I think there is a general misunderstanding of what ANC is supposed to do on the Galaxy Buds Live. They are an open design and they will not be able to block outside noises like IEMs with good isolation do. ANC basically helps filter out low frequency sounds but you will still be able to hear people around you (or your music playing on speakers). It made a very noticeable difference for me for the noise from the train's HVAC system. As I noted in my last post, I could still hear the announcements so I would not miss my stop but it did eliminate most of the fan noise. I also sit right next to a fairly large 15000 BTU PTAC unit in my room and it made a noticeable difference for me when the unit was running. Again, it is open so it cannot block out all the external noise but I think it does what it was meant to do. Your mileage may vary.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #26,650 of 62,437
I've had a love/hate relationship with the Buds Live the entire time I've had them. Sometimes I like them a lot, then other times I think I should have returned them when I had the chance.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #26,651 of 62,437
Sorry to hear. Seems like we just have different preferences. I personally started using them on Treble Boost then briefly on the Clear Setting. I am now using them on Normal. Based on your EQ setting preferences, I think we just have different tastes and, as many others have said here, it may just be differences in fit, expectations or simply personal preference. For overall comfort/fit and convenience (what I look for in TWS) the Galaxy Buds Live have replaced my Senn MTWs and MW07 Go, both of which I rarely use now. While the MTW and MW07 Go certainly have better SQ to my ears. I prefer IEMs with passive isolation for when I really care about SQ and use my SE846 instead.

The Galaxy Buds Live have been fantastic for calls (my main use case) and I use them for calls a few hours every day. I was just noting that I was pleasantly surprised at how great they were for the commute to my office in NYC.

I think there is a general misunderstanding of what ANC is supposed to do on the Galaxy Buds Live. They are an open design and they will not be able to block outside noises like IEMs with good isolation do. ANC basically helps filter out low frequency sounds but you will still be able to hear people around you (or your music playing on speakers). It made a very noticeable difference for me for the noise from the train's HVAC system. As I noted in my last post, I could still hear the announcements so I would not miss my stop but it did eliminate most of the fan noise. I also sit right next to a fairly large 15000 BTU PTAC unit in my room and it made a noticeable difference for me when the unit was running. Again, it is open so it cannot block out all the external noise but I think it does what it was meant to do. Your mileage may vary.
Yes, I'm looking for some nice sounding IEMs for commuting and occasional phone calls. A lot of IEMs dont fit my ears well though. And I also liked the idea of having open design to hear my surroundings when needed. At the moment I'm trying to find a way to make my T2+ wireless.
On the ANC part. I'm totally aware of that. I'm not expecting Sony XM3/4 ANC at all. I don't really like that kind of "total silence ANC". But for me the ANC on the Beans does nothing to block any kind of noise whatsoever. For example the laptop fan on my desk. It's noise level is just exactly the same with ANC on or off.

I've had a love/hate relationship with the Buds Live the entire time I've had them. Sometimes I like them a lot, then other times I think I should have returned them when I had the chance.
I can return them until end of January. :)

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #26,652 of 62,437
I like the galaxy beans too. It's my daily driver now. It's not the most detailed treble or has the most textured bass. It does not demand the listener to analyze the music, but rather enjoy the music. I find myself often singing to the songs or tapping my feet when listening to the beans, rather than analyzing the music. They are also comfortable and lays flat in the ears, so sleeping on my side with them in my ears are no problem at all. I often fall asleep with them in my ears because they are so comfortable and their sound signature is warm and soothing. I seldom use the ANC, but when I do, which is usually on bus with noisy engine, they are able to reduce the engine sound quite well.

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #26,653 of 62,437
Beans are my go to now also. Nobody mentions the different ways you can wear them. If you put them in as directed they have natural "pass through" and are great for background music while hearing all your surroundings. I also wear them more in the ear, this is where you will benefit from the noise cancelling and like it or not thumping bass. For those that don't think there is anc try the later technique while flying or around a mower and turn anc off and on. The anc is on par with my APP and Echo Buds. I mentioned before that I believe people are experiencing the APP anc by only toggling them between "passthrough and on" which is very dramatic. For me to compare anc I have to skip the passthrough feature and have the headphones in the same environment for a real a and b comparison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back