Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 13, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #25,726 of 62,439

This month has been a real mixed bag. 5 remain, 3 are gone. No surprises which ones!

Made sure I used high quality sources for my sampling :dt880smile: M4a sounded better than I thought it would to be fair!

so, which 5 that you keep?

4 mics but no ambient sound or ANC...

MSBC isn't high quality, it's what's used for the hands-free profile for calls on Windows 10 with 16khz mono audio. My Bluetooth 4.2 Astrotec S60 has it listed in the spec sheet as well.

Just wondering if you know how the Airsun X8 compares against 20Decebel, Tronsmart Apollo Bold?

i don't have the 20decebel. between the X8 and the Bold, ANC more or less on the same level with X8 cuts more noise on the mids, while the Bold cuts more on the bass.

soundwise the Bold is bass heavy with clear mids and treble, while the X8 is more neutral, more rolled off highs, really pleasant for long session.

X8 has that nice velvety rubber coating on the unit and the case. the button controls are also great. i also like that i can turn them on/off from the unit

the cons of the X8 that i can list are:
-must use short TWS tips. regular tips can fit, but the lid of the case must be padded so it can charge
-the L and R unit sometimes can go out of sync, making the stereo field wider that it supposed to. luckily fixing it is easy, i just have to cup both of the earpiece with my hands for a second, and it will go back to normal
- range is not as far compared to Qualcomm and Airoha based TWSs

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #25,728 of 62,439
I was going by the manual which says...
1600030629819.png
Seems the manual and their FAQ are on different pages. Pun intended.

Bose is getting sloppy.
1600052579981.png

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #25,729 of 62,439
Just got my Apollo Bolds today and first impressions are that I LOVE them. Been looking forever for a pair of TWS with ambient mode that has a bass centric sound profile, and these seam to fit the bill without compromising on overall sound quality. ANC is a nice added bonus. They're big, but not very heavy, and I'm used to the large profile of the Tranya T3s so it's not bothersome.

Bass is very nice, and not overwhelming at all for me, although that could just be because of my listening preferences and taste. I am absolutely a basshead and these sound great to me, maybe even a bit sparkly.

One thing though, the design of the casing for the Apollos presses pretty snugly against my outer ear and so I don't feel like I'm able to get the ear tips in as far as I want, which makes me feel like I'm not getting a proper seal. I am wondering if that is the reason I'm not perceiving the bass to be as dominant as others have made it sound. Anybody have any suggestions for longer/deeper eartips that might help with that? I just don't feel like I'm getting quite the seal that I'd get with, say, my Tranya B530s, which have smaller eartips but because of the contoured design of the casing, slide deeper into my ear and give an unmistakable seal feeling. I'm just not getting that with the Apollos, and I've tried the tips from other TWS that I have and none of them seem to get deep enough in my ear because of the size/shape of the casing.

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #25,730 of 62,439
BCF66019-184B-4DC1-802B-00017F9F840C.jpeg

This month has been a real mixed bag. 5 remain, 3 are gone. No surprises which ones!

1F497D4B-5A88-4F57-BA2F-8359685A9ABF.jpeg
Made sure I used high quality sources for my sampling :dt880smile: M4a sounded better than I thought it would to be fair!

Hi, quite a good collection!!! Both you and @Caipirina (and I think that there are more people with so many different models here), surprise me with all your TWS, I would like being able to test so many different products!!!

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #25,733 of 62,439
Just got my Apollo Bolds today and first impressions are that I LOVE them. Been looking forever for a pair of TWS with ambient mode that has a bass centric sound profile, and these seam to fit the bill without compromising on overall sound quality. ANC is a nice added bonus. They're big, but not very heavy, and I'm used to the large profile of the Tranya T3s so it's not bothersome.

Bass is very nice, and not overwhelming at all for me, although that could just be because of my listening preferences and taste. I am absolutely a basshead and these sound great to me, maybe even a bit sparkly.

One thing though, the design of the casing for the Apollos presses pretty snugly against my outer ear and so I don't feel like I'm able to get the ear tips in as far as I want, which makes me feel like I'm not getting a proper seal. I am wondering if that is the reason I'm not perceiving the bass to be as dominant as others have made it sound. Anybody have any suggestions for longer/deeper eartips that might help with that? I just don't feel like I'm getting quite the seal that I'd get with, say, my Tranya B530s, which have smaller eartips but because of the contoured design of the casing, slide deeper into my ear and give an unmistakable seal feeling. I'm just not getting that with the Apollos, and I've tried the tips from other TWS that I have and none of them seem to get deep enough in my ear because of the size/shape of the casing.

They aren't designed to go into your ear canal like some earbuds, like the FIIL T1XS are, for example, due to the oval shape to the driver housing..

The best approach with the Apollo is to use the largest buds you can to fill the area around your concha. My review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tronsmart-apollo-bold.24533/reviews#item-review-24119 illustrates how to get the best out of them.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #25,734 of 62,439
so, which 5 that you keep?

Tronsmart Apollo Bold (for general use & specific music types) - Review
Edifier TWS NB2 (for calls during the day) - Review
FIIL T1XS (for sports and general use, all music types) - Review
Tronsmart Onyx Free - Review &
Whizzer E3 (for relaxing and listening to audiobooks in bed) - Review

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #25,735 of 62,439
Final E tips are the longest you can get probably, and their taper and silicone thickness make them very sealing, they also come with half sizes. Anything larger than ML you might need to add a thin sheet of foam to the lid.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #25,736 of 62,439
Hi, quite a good collection!!! Both you and @Caipirina (and I think that there are more people with so many different models here), surprise me with all your TWS, I would like being able to test so many different products!!!

My testing days are over for now ... I enjoyed the access I had to amazon over the summer (boy did I send back A LOT :wink: ... I am still going through some stuff that I received over the summer (from that smack at the beginning of covid19 March sale) but most of that is obsolete by now anyways ... some annoying AliExpress experience among them (like my Ugreens must have damaged batteries and wont charge more than 30% .. something called 'Makibes' arrived with a soundless left bud, all these things are now beyond dispute time .. so, gotta count my losses) ...

From here on out .. well, I am considering schemes of possibly having the Bose shipped here ... but that's quite a lot of money to possibly lose in the mail and max I can insure it is 50€ .. and when it's insured, customs gets curious .. so .. rather not ...

AliExpress is out for me as well, most sellers don't ship to Sri Lanka anymore or they ask for 50$ EMS / DHL shipping ... so ... maybe I find a shady seller that offers the first GBeans copy and ships old style free :D

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #25,738 of 62,439
My testing days are over for now ... I enjoyed the access I had to amazon over the summer (boy did I send back A LOT :wink: ... I am still going through some stuff that I received over the summer (from that smack at the beginning of covid19 March sale) but most of that is obsolete by now anyways ... some annoying AliExpress experience among them (like my Ugreens must have damaged batteries and wont charge more than 30% .. something called 'Makibes' arrived with a soundless left bud, all these things are now beyond dispute time .. so, gotta count my losses) ...

From here on out .. well, I am considering schemes of possibly having the Bose shipped here ... but that's quite a lot of money to possibly lose in the mail and max I can insure it is 50€ .. and when it's insured, customs gets curious .. so .. rather not ...

AliExpress is out for me as well, most sellers don't ship to Sri Lanka anymore or they ask for 50$ EMS / DHL shipping ... so ... maybe I find a shady seller that offers the first GBeans copy and ships old style free :D

I'm the same until the next big release. I sent 3 pairs back to Amazon today, and sold a spare set of FIIL. I think I'm waiting for one more from Aliexpress....Alien Secret, due tomorrow, then a little breather!

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #25,739 of 62,439

Users who are viewing this thread

Back