Whizzer E3 TWS - Reviews
Nice comfy earbuds that come into their own with foam tips
Pros: Case Design, Ergonomics, Sound Quality, Comfort
Cons: Supplied tips, Connectivity, Micro-USB, Battery Life
How I review:

Sound Quality

What I measure here is the subjective and objective. I listen to a few key tracks, some FLAC, some bad quality mp3's, streaming services, audio books and tracks I know have been so badly produced they will probably clip the top or the bottom end. Usually I listen to one album in particular on FLAC, which I know very well, and also Bolero, which again I also know inside out.

I then test a few key variables such as FR and Spectral Flatness using an acoustic mic setup. Some others too, but I won't go into detail unless it's necessary.

I do this just for confirmation of what I'm hearing. I'm not Scarbir, I'm not The Sound Guys. I have a demanding day job, study, and have three kids, so no long essays in these reviews.

Microphone Quality

I conduct a few different tests, as follows:

Indoor, static, silence
Indoor, static, ambient noise 40-60 dB-A
Indoor, static, high frequency ambient noise
Indoor, static, low frequency ambient noise

All of the above but moving
All of the above moving away from the receiver

Outdoor, static, ambient noise 40-80db
Outdoor, moving, ambient noise 40-80db
Outdoor, under a nearby railway bridge where lorries pass through

All are recorded for 1-3 minutes for future comparisons. I look for voice clarity, voice clarity among noise and glitches.

Tips

Stock tips
Spinfit Silicones
INAIRS foam tips
ikko i-planet foam tips

ANC (where applicable)

As per the call quality tests, I usually test the ANC at the same time, looking for low and high frequency performance as well as my pet peeve, vertigo and jawache.

I use earbuds in four activities - calls, exercise, commute and relaxing. All three are taken into consideration to try to find the use case, as finding the perfect earbud is, lets face it, never going to happen.

Connectivity

I find most perform almost identically, but do the usual walk test, especially around congested 2,4ghz wifi areas. I leave a router on 40MHz just in case it messes with it, why the hell not?!

Ok, so onto the review:

Model: Whizzer E3

Price: £26.74

Vendor: Aliexpress

Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057751221.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.11d74c4drTdjlb

Manufacturer Blurb:

• Volume Control: No
  • Style: In-Ear TWS
  • Sensitivity: 89±3dbdB
  • Codecs: AAC, SBC
  • Support APP: Yes (supposedly)
  • Number Of Drivers: 2
  • Driver Diameter: 6mm
  • Resistance: 16ΩΩ
  • Waterproof: Yes
  • Frequency Response Range: 20 - 200000Hz
  • With Microphone: Yes
  • Charging Method: Charging case
  • Charge Time: 1.5 hours
  • Single Use Playtime: 5 hours (not in my experience)
  • Playtime with Charge Case: Up to 25 hours
  • Waterproof: IPX7

1 x Charge Case (Micro-USB)
    2 x Earbud

The Unboxing - 7.5/10

IMG_1468.JPEG

IMG_1469.JPEG

IMG_1471.JPEG

Not my favourite section of the review as I couldn't give a rats arse about the box as long as they sound good, but the unboxing of the Whizzer E3 had a premium feel to it. The rose gold finish to the lettering is probably aimed at the female market, as reflexted by the marketing images.

In the box is a pebble-inspired charge box, quick guide, charge cable and spare tips. The supplied tips are very low quality.

The Case - 8/10

IMG_1472.JPEG

The case is nice - the pebble design is unique, and asymmetrical, which I would usually hate but it suits the style of the bud. With 4 lights on the front denoting the battery of the case, this makes it easy to see how much juice you have for the day. The hinge is a little flimsy and portability is questionable due to the height, but it is novel and looks pretty.

IMG_1474.JPEG

IMG_1483.jpeg

The height of the case is the big problem for portability - it measures a full 44mm - over 10mm larger than any other case I've tested!

Another minor problem is it is powered by Micro-USB, which means no wireless charging and no quick charge, but I'm not going to be too harsh on them as they were released nearly a year ago.

The Ergonomics - 8.5/10

IMG_1475.JPEG

The stone finish is a nice touch and the nozzle is well proportioned to give a comfortable fit for short spells.

IMG_1482.jpeg

Due to the way the buds best serve the soundstage, this requires them to be pushed quite deep into your ears, and if you're looking at those pictures thinking that could make them uncomfortable for prolonged use - you're right, eventually they do need to be removed to give your ears a break. Pushing the tactile button simply accelerates the point of diminishing returns.

As you can see above against the Tronsmart Onyx Free, they are designed to sit against the cartilage and nestle into the concha, which is not quite as pressure-free as the Tronsmart design, where they have angled the design to run adjacent to the antihelix. This will probably make it uncomfortable for some, but it is great for me.

Still, I bed tested these without foam tips and they were acceptable, with foam tips and they were one of the few that I haven't spent the next morning scrambling around the bed looking for! They are nice and lightweight, so ideal for snoozing listening to podcasts or audio books - but hollow sounding without the foam tips, so that's your trade off.

These are stated IPX7 - I favour wingtips for exercise, so wouldn't recommend them for this use case, especially since they are essentially resting at a right angle inside your concha, although they did pass the shake test. The microphone position is, like many that were released around that time, not well thought out, and this results in predictable flows of background noise interrupting call quality (as below).

Sound Quality - 8/10 (for the price paid), 7/10 (raw score)

It is always a difficult balance reviewing raw sound quality against intermediate sound quality (i.e. sound quality against price). Now bear in mind these are £26, use AAC, and are very Chifi (even the announcements are in a Chinese accent), I was not expecting much.

First subjective roll with the supplied tips sounded really hollow. None of the tips fit particularly well and I would imagine this to be the case for anyone - they are really flimsy - very poor quality on the outside, albeit well insulated in the inside of the insert.

I don't usually find myself sticking with foam tips. I find the ones that do fit well have to be removed to fit in the charger case with almost every TWS, and the ones that fit in the charger case, like the Ikko I-Planet, can't be suppressed sufficiently to fit nicely into your ear canal to get the required seal. However, with these, like the Boltune BT-BH024 (the other of the few where I favour foam tips) I have to make an exception.

As soon as I got some medium length foam tips on these the soundstage blasted through. Wow! A touch V-shaped, but comfortably so, through AAC they were loud, clear and separated pretty well around the mid lows. Mid highs are slightly less impressive when you put them under stringent tests but this is to be expected - flacs on Windows 10 start to reveal some of the shortcomings, but for £26 what do you expect. I've settled on using the ikko's and get a decent seal and they fit in the charge case, trading off some of the sound quality

Overall though, really impressive at the price - a joy to listen with regardless of music style.

Latency is the usual 180ms, just falls short of lip sync.

Call Quality - Indoors - 5/10, Outdoors - 4/10

Definitely not a set you want to make calls with - certainly not the worst I've tested but it's clear the mic was bottom of the list of priorities with the design.

These are on the 'let everything through' side of the coin - they pick everything up, as well as your voice, and when you see the positioning you understand why.

The sound is a little robotic when it does come through as well, but you can at least make it out - better than the MPOW, Nillkin and Aukey efforts I reviewed recently.

It does announce the name of the caller on iPhone.

Connectivity, Controls and Other Features - 5/10

Connectivity is iffy. I didn't manage to make it to the loo - which is about 10m away - before it started to cut out. I also had an issue where it wouldn't automatically detect to the previously connected device, and went into pairing mode again by default. It allowed me to connect on both iPhone and Windows, but the 'pairing' announcement left me a little confused. No drop offs however.

Tactile controls are fine, although no volume, but as I mentioned earlier to get the full benefit of the sound these need to be inserted quite deep into your ears, which then causes a little discomfort to use the controls.

There is nothing else to note really, no aptx support or any kind of noise cancellation. They isolate reasonably well with foam.

Battery Life - 6/10

Not brilliant. No quick charge and the advertised 5 hours was ambitious - I got just over 2. The charge case also seems to drink battery very quickly.

Final Comments

These are a keeper. The iffy battery life and connectivity aside, they have some novelty value and a very enjoyable soundstage that took me by surprise. Their awkward, right-angle design will not sit well with everyone, it will not offer much in the way of passive isolation without foam tips, and finding use-cases for them other than veg-ing out on the sofa is difficult as they offer little more than lightweight footprint and good audio, but that aside, they are much better than some of the rubbish I've reviewed recently.

Price Weighted Score: 75%