Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 22, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #23,806 of 62,439
Apollo Bold Codec Support.

2020-07-22 (1).png

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #23,807 of 62,439
Off topic but pretty sure most modern non Samsung android phones support aptxhd so basically anything that isn't a Samsung. Its bizarre since all they have to do is enable it in the software. The Velvet looks decent but would be a step down from my S20 Ultra. Aside from my aptxhd complaint its the best phone I've ever owned. But even with that, its not worth the money. The lack of aptxhd has caused me to have to pass on a few headphones. Thankfully my newly delivered massdrop panda use LDAC so no issue there.
Your right, most do. Yes Velvet would be a step down from the s20 Ultra, but the V60 is more in line with the Ultra specs and you get more for your money. Let me know what you think of those pandas.

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #23,808 of 62,439
I got the V60 at launch in Canada outright. Although it is the weakest flagship on the market, it barely costs $400 USD once you sell the Dual Screen Display Case and HBS-FL7 TWS (sealed BNIB) on eBay. That's unbeatable value for a brand new flagship (not to mention your only other option is the Xperia 1 ii which is 3x the price). The DS is selling easily too, look at recent listings. LG is doing a rather fine job with firmware support, apps and updates for the DS specifically (apparently). I have no idea why people buy the LG Tone Free TWS though, especially for $150 CAD, but that's what my auctions ended at twice now (second V60 was a friend's purchase last week). Keep in mind selling BNIB electronics via auction always means you're losing 10% of its value in the end, but it guarantees a sale. I'm fairly happy with the V60 except one aspect: the 60hz RR. It's too slow for a flagship. 90hz needs to be LG's standard with the V70. Aside from that it performs pretty well once you debloat it and work around LG UX10.0. It just feels like a turtle if used next to a OP8P.
In the states the weakest flagship we have is the Moto Edge plus. 90HZ is cool, but we need better battery tech to support it. If you leave it on all day, the battery drains quick. This year is tough because everyone's paying QC's 5G early adopter tax. So all things considered, i would have done what LG did with the V60.
Back on topic, yeah i love some of LG's ideas with these twe's, but they need better codec support, longer battery life and that would justify the price a lot more. but ANC is kind of a standard especially going forward. So they need that added as well.

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #23,809 of 62,439
MTI will release NUARL N10 Pro ANC TRULY WIRELESS STEREO EARBUDS, a completely wireless earphone equipped with NUARL brand active noise canceling (ANC) in early September. The price is 24,500 yen(~$229).

Earphones equipped with dual digital feed-forward/feedback ANC based on Qualcomm's ANC technology. It also supports external sound capture, and you can switch between ANC/external sound capture by the dedicated application "N10 CONNECT".

Equipped with a PTT multilayer film moving plate that has TPE and titanium film deposited on the surface of the PEEK diaphragm, and a unique 10mm diameter dynamic full range driver [N10] v3 that uses a double magnet magnetic circuit. It is said to play a powerful sound with sharpness from the high range to the low range. The reproduction frequency band is 20Hz to 20kHz.

By housing the driver in a metal housing and modularizing it, analog tone like a wired earphone is realized. Furthermore, by combining an earphone module and a digital equalizer that makes full use of the DSP incorporated in the SoC, it has been possible to achieve delicate sound quality tuning that has never been achieved.

It adopts the patented technology "HDSS" of TBI in the US, and it is said that the third-generation ETL acoustic module is built into the housing to prevent localization in the head and reproduce the natural sound spread with thickness and stereoscopic effect.

Bluetooth 5.0 compliant. Codec supports aptX, AAC, SBC. The profile supports A2DP, HFP, HSP, AVRCP. Qualcomm "QCC5124" is combined with an antenna that employs a unique directivity control technology to achieve connection stability with less interruption in sound.

You can play/stop/tune forward/back songs, adjust the volume, and answer the phone with the earphone buttons. The dedicated sub button on the back of the earphone can turn ON/OFF the ANC and external sound capture function. You can also talk with the built-in twin microphone.

The dedicated application "N10 CONNECT" supports not only ANC/external sound capture switching, but also function customization such as hearing protection ON/OFF and equalizer settings. It also supports firmware OTA updates and "Find Earbuds" that display when the earphones are disconnected on the map.

1595431938916.png
1595435599411.png
Can't wait!

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #23,810 of 62,439
Now, I'm an owner of the Galaxy Buds+ (due to this topic and forum!) so... little review.

Why I've choosed them: because I think that they're the best "price/features" available. I wanted the "ambient mode" so the choice was reduced, and the rating "B=" on crinacle made me pull the trigger.

- background:
Samsung Galaxy Buds+, Xiaomi Mi9t phone, default BT settings, Dynamic mode in Galaxy wereable, Wavelet installed, no equalization for the GB+ but bass boost.

Speaking for the music I think they're good, but not a miracle. Bass needs to be pumped up definetly for me, and at highest volume the sound sometimes is "splashy". I listen primarly rock/metal so take it in mind.
They need to be perfectly positioned in the ear: if not, forget completely the lowest frequency.
They're absolutely comfortables and tiny, really light in weight.
The ambient mode is incredible: i use it at maximum (in the labs) and i can listen to music to high volume and still I can ear cars approaching, not for a conversation. Used without music is really like an earing aid :D The sound coming from outside is metallic and with a little delay and focused on higher frequencies. Probably it's tuned this way to be more useful in conversations without removing the GB+.
Touch controls: not so good. It's hard to find the perfect spot to tap and sometimes it's just don't take the double tap, I've never tried the triple tap it must be a pain. Perfect the customization of the (two: left and right) long press: I have long press left = Ambient mode on/off, right=Google Assistant.
Some words on Google Assistant: I can't use it to play a son on Spotify with the phone in my pocket, I don't know why, probably it must be unlocked, but I don't find it useful this way. It reply to normal questions like "what's the time?" and so on. I'm not able to make it read out loud the notifications too.
I think it's all, if I remember another things I will edit.

(sorry for english)
ON Xiaomi phones you have to go into permissions manager and give Spotify access to the OS when the screen is locked. Then will work to queue up a song when phone is in your pocket. learned that with my Mi mix 2S it was annoying.

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #23,811 of 62,439
New LG TWS with Meridian is available. LG HBS-FN6 There's a version with UV case, without the UV case and a version with wireless charging. Actually liking the DSP, sound clear and spacious. Pretty hit or miss with the reviewers, but there's a review with graph 0db review - LG Tone Free (google translate the review and they explain the dip in the graph)

Also a new HiBy TWS announced that seems feature rich. Dynamic and BA with dual amplifier and crossover handled via DSP, HiBy WH3 It's possible to adjust where the crossover frequency via app.

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #23,812 of 62,439
Thanks, by now they have already landed and while I am kinda happy with the SQ, I seem to be having some connection issues (left bud starts to buzz, then turns off, turns back on again, all good then) and fit is iffy, that winged stem prevents me from jamming them all the way in ... need to look into my bag of tips ...
Sorry, I was thinking of a different TWS. I liked the fit, but it was definitely iffy with some tips and I also had some weird connection issues. I sent mine back.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #23,816 of 62,439
Mentally debating whether I should go for some super cheap chi-fi buds, like Tranyas or the enacfire e60 (so about $30-40), known brands like the Creative Outlier Air (about $70), or known brands like the Samsung Galaxy Buds + (~$140)
You already found this forum ... which means you will end up with one of each of them, if not all. :wink:

Jul 23, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #23,817 of 62,439
You already found this forum ... which means you will end up with one of each of them, if not all. :wink:
I guess so... :)

Life of a Head-fier audiophile addicted to TWSs: Galaxy Buds+ are so incredible with great bang-for-your buck, so I should get those. Now I have them. But ya know, those Tranya Rimors are $30!!! Might as well get those, just as a backup... And everyone says the Sifi Bowmaker II is amazing, so. OMG OMG OMG!!! DID YOU SEE THOSE SENNHEISER MOMENTUM TRUE WIRELESS 3 (or maybe MW07 2 :wink:) REVIEWS!!! $140+$30+40+$300=$510 -per 4 months.

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #23,820 of 62,439
Had my Apollo Bolds about 2 hours or so now, so far kind of bass heavy and trying to work out the Assistant setting as it is nearly same as the triple press for ANC.

Ear tips/buds far too small and no XL like the Cleer Audio clones have, using my own XL tips and can still fit case and make charging contact but the nozzles are short and do not reach my canals fully, if I can get my double flange SpinFits on they will need come of each time I change them.

Does not seem any way to power them on/off if not in the case, pressing them for long period disconnects and they looks for another device (I hope these can remember more than one device not continually re-pairing each time (not talking multi-point).

Connection/distance is not good, worse than some of my older BT 4.1 sets, definitely not a strong 10m never mind 15m (class 1 or 2?) and this is on both my Android mobile phone (BT 5.0 class 1) and my PC (Intel BT 5.1/WIFI 6 ax)
Hi, helmutcheese,
Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for your feedback. We will keep improving. About the connection you have mentioned, Apollo Bold is equipped with BT 5.0, it is up to 15m transmission in the open place. If you still find the problem, please send us your email address. Our customer service will contact you. Or you can contact us via: support@tronsmart.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back