Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 18, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #23,626 of 62,439
759BE5F6-D6A7-4253-A9B7-613DB62BB1C2.jpeg
and they have landed! My first question would be: “what’s hybrid active noise cancelling” ?
Will check ‘em out and come back with impressions soon

edit: how could I test the AptX HD claim? Not sure if any of my sources has that. (some googling later, don't have any ..)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #23,628 of 62,439
and they have landed! My first question would be: “what’s hybrid active noise cancelling” ?

edit: how could I test the AptX HD claim? Not sure if any of my sources has that. (some googling later, don't have any ..)

Fast shipping?
Mine are due to arrive on the 7th next month.
Really hope I will enjoy them as I don't have any in-ears at all at the moment.

Looking forward to your thoughts on them.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #23,629 of 62,439

"Hybrid" could mean they're using mics both outside and inside mics for Feedforward/Feedback ANC, the MW07plus only have Feedforward for instance...but then the Tozo NC9 claim both and offer poor ANC so...

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #23,631 of 62,439
mentioning these in case anyone's interested, i just found them yesterday and don't see any posts about them.
RHA True Connect 2
$149.99.
IP55, 9 hour battery life w 35 hours in case, no wireless charging, SBC only according to what i found, though maybe they have AAC like the original True Connect. @clerkpalmer wasn't it you who discovered the True Connect had AAC?
no app to eq or customize controls.
LG Tone free HBS-FN6.
$149.99
No codec info, UVnano cleaning case, IP4, Wireless charging. 6hr battery life with 12 hours in case.
Tone Free HBS-FN5W: $129.99
no UVnano cleaning, has wireless charging, 6 hrs from iems and 12 hrs in case.
IP4 rating.
Tone free HBS-FN4; $99.99
no Codec info, no UVnano cleaning or wireless charging. 6 hrs from iems and 12 from case. IP4 rating.
LG does have an app with sound presets as well as eq.

I really liked RHA's first offering. It reminded me of a refined LP2 buuuuut their bluetooth connectivity was horrible. Hope they fixed that issue on the 2.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #23,632 of 62,439
Here some first random impressions about the Tronsmart Apollo Bold, I know some are eager to pull the trigger on those, especially with that coupon on several amazons. Disclaimer: Tronsmart sent me these for review. I promise I won’t tell you those are awesome (when they are not) or try to sell you flaws as new features with a southern drawl :D What I will do though: I will be patient with these buds and give them an extra fair chance (like I did with my Sony XM3, those needed lots of tip rolling & time to fall in love with)

TL;DR: yeah, go ahead and place that order, especially if it’s amazon and you can return if you really dislike them. Sound is subjective and my ears are old.
But overall I am liking these quite some!

For those who have not followed the topic, these are pretty much the Cleer Ally Plus (in a cheaper looking, round, window less plastic case), according to FCC they are electronically identical, now, does that mean they are sonically the same? Only someone with both sets will be able to answer this :D

ANC: Yes, it’s there! And pretty effective. And maybe even better once I found the perfect tips. I tried a few and right now I have SpinFits CP155 on (with the wider bore, as the Apollos have oval-ish nozzles which can be tricky to find ideal tips for).
1EA84577-8C8A-4436-8E35-982A948AB19D.jpeg
I have tested with fans around the house and the ANC reminds me of what I heard with the Sonys when I tried them first. It cycles through ambient-ambient off, ANC on just like the Sonys (triple click on either bud). As of now it is not as impressive as the APP nor Sony (but might be getting there) but it’s better than the Dyplay BCQ35 and (from memory) those Bonolo I got a long while ago.

UI: I really like the way they mapped the functionality, pretty much by what I need most / more often: Volume first! Tap right one - vol up, left vol down. Tapping twice, play pause. triple tap: cycling through anc / ambient / off. To skip ahead / back a track, tap right / left for 2 seconds to go fwd / rewind. Not too finicky, adjusting the buds does not immediately pause music.

Hey, that ‘take out of ear and music pauses’ actually works :D

Now, sound is something I rather let the better ear equipped people talk in depth about. My brass ears are very happy with what they get to hear so far, but for one I will need some more time with them to just go through many different genres (right now I am listening to some ambient pling pling music) and I want to give them a chance to open up a bit (or burn in or whatever). Top of my head I want to say I am like 80-83% as impressed as a was with the xm3, but this must surely be 'new toy' effect and I should not jump to conclusions.

Things I am not 100% happy (just yet):
Fit! While not terrible (by a long shot), I doubt I will take those out on a run. They do stick out a bit (less weight than the xm3 IMHO and far less out compared to Bose SSF)
A6DB5BAB-8EBF-4142-B611-968AEEF75436.jpeg
They seem a bit loose, there are no wings, but maybe I find super grippy ear tips some day. I would also not mind finding some tips that give me 1 or 2 extra mm to jam those deeper into my earholes. But this is still matter of research.

Now, one ‘out of competition’ thing, something that nearly ruined my afternoon: While trying to use them on different sources (like my AptX Tempotec) I managed to screw them up somehow in the connection department. Most likely they disconnected from each other. Lo and behold, the short manual written in precise English has not one but 2 suggestions on how to fix this.
0DAFA285-1B21-4287-971F-81C97C7F7636.jpeg
There is a ‘tap each 5 times respectively’ method (after you made sure they are disconnected, how would I do that?) …
5A9CB606-258E-476F-9A8E-9AB684A677BA.jpeg
and there is a 5 second hold-tap for reset.

Unfortunately both methods seem to be super finicky and it is not super clear what is going on. For most of the time I never got the white / red blinking light the manual spoke about … long story short, by sheer number of trials and some added magic, they are now connected to my phone again and work well. But this experience has traumatized me, I won't try to connect to anything else for a while until I find out a reliable way to get into ‘pairing mode' (and if 'looking for device' means pairing to source or pairing to other bud)

Now I am very curious what the sound people will say.

update: testing now with ‘clone’ Powerbeats Pro tips, biggest size. And much improved in ANC and ‘more’ bass, not sure yet if that’s also better ...1A183591-1FA1-49A0-9D82-6C161BEDF7AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #23,634 of 62,439
Ok gonna send back the Tranya T2 to Amazon and get another pair. Someone said they are getting 6hrs. Gonna give it another chance. Looking forward to the Spunky beats next week. Rah.

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #23,635 of 62,439
and a bit of a curve ball ... between getting the wonderful MW07 and the surprise Apollo Bold ... I also received the Mpow M30 ... and despite all the raving reviews, I seem to not be able to warm up to them ... what am I doing wrong? One thing is that it drives me nuts to change those wings ... and that even with 'biggest' size, those wings are not doing anything for me ... Sound 'feels' just ok ...

What am I missing?

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #23,636 of 62,439
Jul 18, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #23,637 of 62,439

The 'Pollos have AptX HD? Now I GOTTA test a pair 'coz my OP6 actually has AptX HD support baked in (as does most subsequent OnePlus phones, FYI). Also, with the SD 845 I can probably get TWS+ to work (as it does with the Creatives).

Lack of wireless charging is still kinda a bummer (yep the L2Ps have spoilt me), but the ANC sounds nice to have. I wonder if it has Transparency/Ambient mode too.

That supposed EQ in the app is nice to have tho, and is making my fingers itchy.

Send 'em quick to your distributors over here in MY Tronsmart (and make sure they don't overprice 'em lol).

Scratch that, they're already being marked for pre-orders over here (at slightly lower than L2P prices no less). Will wait for more impressions first if that's the case.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #23,638 of 62,439
The 'Pollos have AptX HD? Now I GOTTA test a pair 'coz my OP6 actually has AptX HD support baked in (as does most subsequent OnePlus phones, FYI). Also, with the SD 845 I can probably get TWS+ to work (as it does with the Creatives).

Lack of wireless charging is still kinda a bummer (yep the L2Ps have spoilt me), but the ANC sounds nice to have. I wonder if it has Transparency/Ambient mode too.

Also a functional EQ in the app would be nice to have too, amongst other things (not a priority tho).

Send 'em quick to your distributors over here in MY Tronsmart (and make sure they don't overprice 'em lol). Scratch that, they're already being sold here (at local L2P prices no less) 🤣
Yeah Apollos have ambient mode but not sure of sidetone. App will be out in September

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #23,639 of 62,439
Yeah Apollos have ambient mode but not sure of sidetone. App will be out in September

Oh crap. So now other than the lack of wireless charging, it's pretty much a subtle upgrade on the L2Ps at a better price (at least specwise).

Now I just gotta have someone tell me they sound better (or at least comparable) to the Liberties... 🤣

Also, Tronsmart, if you're listening, an Special Edition or Pro version with Qi charging (or even an additional silicone cover with a built-in Qi receiver pad) would be a great additional reason for me to pull the trigger lol.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #23,640 of 62,439

That supposed EQ in the app is nice to have tho, and is making my fingers itchy.

Send 'em quick to your distributors over here in MY Tronsmart (and make sure they don't overprice 'em lol).

Scratch that, they're already being marked for pre-orders over here (at slightly lower than L2P prices no less). Will wait for more impressions first if that's the case.

No apt-x hd according to the specs. They first mentioned it, then dropped it from marketing. Or they use the term hd about apt-x as many sellers on ali does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back